Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Captain Invictus posted:

one of my favorite parts of one piece is the manga title page for each chapter is either a non-sequitur scene with the strawhats and silly animals having fun or whatever, or part of an overarching "cover arc" that often follows defeated enemies or allies after a finished arc and what they're up to now. they often then intertwine back into the story hundreds of chapters later, there is a character who you have met already who opens up a "food truck" and meets some other new characters, and then shows up nearly 400 chapters later, perfectly tying back into the story in a really, really, REALLY satisfying way. you get character development for this fairly mundane dude offscreen outside of the main story currently happening, in little one-panel chunks, and then usually get a good payoff for it down the road or at least serves as an "epilogue" for that character. it's brilliant worldbuilding design, and oda does it quite a lot.

I don't think don krieg literally ever shows up again though.

Eneru's was still kind of odd. Like... he did win after all, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
Jimquisition - Streamin' On Easy Street

https://youtu.be/MXUUHOOnz3M

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Junpei Hyde posted:

I for one support this becoming the one piece live blog thread.

gently caress I kinda wanna rewatch through enies lobby again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLx9WKf5mhs

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I am going to flip a table if it turns out that Gold Roger was Luffys dad or some other Chosen One bullshit.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

No.1 Special posted:

Jimquisition - Streamin' On Easy Street

https://youtu.be/MXUUHOOnz3M

I lost my poo poo at that carrot intro. So good.

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

SIZE=XX-LARGE]PLEASE! PLEASE STOP SAYING THE R WORD. GOD, IF SOMEBODY SAID THE R WORD, I WILL HECKIN LOSE IT. JUST PEE PEE MY JORTS. CAN'T YOU JUST CALL THEM A SMOOTHE BRAINED DOTARD LIKE THE REST OF US NORMAL PEOPLE? DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

P.S. FREE LARRY YOU FUCKIN COWARDS.
A streamer doesn't have to be any good at a game for their content to be worthwhile. I go to streams mostly for the streamers personality and the chat they have.

That said lol @ easy modes and double lol @ story modes

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

There was only ever one valid reason to make fun of people for being bad at games and that was when it took TimtheThatMan weeks to get his first win in Fall Guys.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

ButterSkeleton posted:

loling at the best modes because of how great that are you can't contain your giddiness, I understand.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

every game should have a queasy mode where all the characters chew noisily with their mouths open and spit on the pavement

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

ButterSkeleton posted:

Mods!? We got a gamer in the thread :blastu:

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I would never play on easy mode myself, but if someone else wants to do so or put it in their own game that’s none of my business. Just as long as it’s kept tucked away in a menu and isn’t like those Ninja Gaiden “do you want to lower the difficulty?” messages.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It always bummed me out as a kid when the easy mode would end the game early. Ones I remember distinctly were Dinosaurs for Hire on the Genesis and Lion King on the Game Gear (never had the Genesis version but it likely works the same way).

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

JordanKai posted:

There was only ever one valid reason to make fun of people for being bad at games and that was when it took TimtheThatMan weeks to get his first win in Fall Guys.

There are plenty of reasons to make fun of DarkSydePhil or LowTierGod for being bad at games, but that is more because they are pretty toxic human beings and easy to root against

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
One of the best experiences I had was playing Dark Souls for the very first time and watching This Is How You Don't Play Dark Souls in tandem with my playthrough, solely as a confidence booster to make me feel better about suffering and struggling through X part of the game.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I pre-ordered R-Type Final and I'm definitely not gonna be able to play on the hardest difficulty.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Groovelord Neato posted:

It always bummed me out as a kid when the easy mode would end the game early. Ones I remember distinctly were Dinosaurs for Hire on the Genesis and Lion King on the Game Gear (never had the Genesis version but it likely works the same way).

"Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse" was cut down to 3 levels on easy mode and instead of a final boss fight you just enter the final boss tower and instantly win the game.

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

SIZE=XX-LARGE]PLEASE! PLEASE STOP SAYING THE R WORD. GOD, IF SOMEBODY SAID THE R WORD, I WILL HECKIN LOSE IT. JUST PEE PEE MY JORTS. CAN'T YOU JUST CALL THEM A SMOOTHE BRAINED DOTARD LIKE THE REST OF US NORMAL PEOPLE? DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

P.S. FREE LARRY YOU FUCKIN COWARDS.
I'm mostly ruffling feathers with what I said, as I'm pretty much content with whatever as long as higher difficulties continue to exist (especially ones fine tuned to push the game to it's limits.) I feel like the most satisfaction for me as a person comes from being able to overcome a challenge and figure out a games mechanics.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
I only play games that have permadeath. As in, if I lose the game I die in real life.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Everyone plays like a moron anyway when they're streaming. Because part of streaming is engaging with the chat, and having to turn part of your attention away from the game to do some bantering, and god forbid you get distracted with some of that in a narration-heavy bit or are trying to juggle a weird puzzle or an enemy swarm. I don't think it's really possible to look good streaming something unless it's a game you've poured months or years into to the point that you could play it on reflex in your sleep or know the story like the back of your hand. And even then you'll probably have some dumbass moments people will clip for funny reactions because that's what most of the audience is there for anyway, to watch you bumble into something and lol at the face you make.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I played the Wolfenstein games on easy and I turned damage reduction in Control when I replayed it up to like 40% when the Assist Mode options came out because I felt way more fragile in those games than I would've preferred. But other than that and playing Fire Emblem on Casual I don't think I've really messed around with Easy mode in games that much.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Playing a game is way to casual for me. If I want an FPS, I go to Syria.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Caro rereg detected

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

the only exception I can think of to the "streamer playing easy games" argument is that Jerma should always play Lord of the Rings games as Gimli

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

ButterSkeleton posted:

I'm mostly ruffling feathers with what I said, as I'm pretty much content with whatever as long as higher difficulties continue to exist (especially ones fine tuned to push the game to it's limits.) I feel like the most satisfaction for me as a person comes from being able to overcome a challenge and figure out a games mechanics.

it depends on the game for me. i play on coward or normal mode on most games and hard on others.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

I usually play on hard for FPS (Ultra Violence for Doom, Hardened on Call of Duty, Heroic on Halo, etc) because I'm good at video games, but unlike most gamers, I realize being good at video gamez is not a real skill. Certainly not one worth bragging about.
People who unironically go all "Get gud" or "go back to cod :smug:" or cry about easy/story modes are embarrassing losers

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Nuns with Guns posted:

Everyone plays like a moron anyway when they're streaming. Because part of streaming is engaging with the chat, and having to turn part of your attention away from the game to do some bantering, and god forbid you get distracted with some of that in a narration-heavy bit or are trying to juggle a weird puzzle or an enemy swarm. I don't think it's really possible to look good streaming something unless it's a game you've poured months or years into to the point that you could play it on reflex in your sleep or know the story like the back of your hand. And even then you'll probably have some dumbass moments people will clip for funny reactions because that's what most of the audience is there for anyway, to watch you bumble into something and lol at the face you make.

Spot on, pretty much.

When I started dedicating myself to streaming more I quickly learned that appearing to be *good* at the game wasn't going to work out for a streamer like me who enjoys chatting a lot really -- I tried it with a few of the tricky old retro games but it's not my style and tbh I don't think it's really what people want to see unless you're out there as a speedrunner or you're actively saying that you're going to beat this without cheating or on hardest or all that sort of thing. Now you better believe I'm going to be abusing savestates or going to a walkthrough when I get too stuck. It just becomes another part of the fun for people watching.

And...well, there's probably about a hundred times more "Streamer Funny Fails / Rage" Compilations out there than there are "Streamer MLG AWESOME PLAY" Compilations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

how am i supposed to trust this guy's opinions on Paddington when he doesn't play Warhammer 2: Total War on Legendary

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
I always play on easy because otherwise I lose, scream, curl up on the floor, mope for 2 hours and then play something else

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I always play on Normal because I have no idea what the baseline difficulty of a game is or what Easy or Hard modes actually mean. Hard modes vary wildly between "actually the real Normal to super bullshit" and Easy modes can vary from "mindlessly boring to fun and what Normal mode should be". At least by picking Normal I can assume this was the intended difficulty.

Also, dynamic difficulty should be in more games. I don't want to restart my game if I find out any of the above.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
I usually play Easy Mode for long open-world games and Normal/Hard for much shorter (<10 hour) games. I like to relax through long games. Shorter ones want to make me relive those tougher arcade days.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I tend to go by my life experience, mostly. And course correct if I misjudge. E. g. when I play a space 4x, I tend to take normal, since I've played so many even the hardest don't tend to leave any challenge otherwise. And dial up if normal doesn't give a challenge, either.

Or when I play ARPGs, I know by growing up with older, harder ARPGs my sense of stuff like proper TTK is all skewed, so what a newisch ARPG thinks is "normal" tends in most cases to feel like baby mode to me, even below easy.

And shmups I often set to the highest possible difficulty, because blowing up in less than a second feels hilarious, and I like the challenge. He said and made 101 Mario Maker 2 levels consisting of nothing except sawblades and spikes. :v:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

It 100% depends on the game. Games like God of War, Last of Us, I dunno... Assassin's Creed? etc, basically third person action/adventure games I'll typically play on easy becasue I don't care enough about the challenge to have the patience to die over and over again. Usually with those kinds of games, God of War and Last of Us being good examples, I want to go through the story, and I will get way too annoyed if keep dying and restarting when I just want to continue the journey.

Compare that to something like Bloodborne or any platformer I loved (Celeste, Ori, DKC: Tropical Freeze, Yoshi's Island, etc etc) the story is not the big highlight for me, so I wouldn't ever play on easy for those if they have a difficutly setting (all games should have difficulty settings though. Celeste and Last of Us have amazing difficulty options). Like I banged my head against the final level of Mario 3D World for a very very long time, but I refused to use the invincibility suit

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Character action games like DMC etc. I'll always play on hard, everything else I usually just do normal. The real curse of difficulty settings is when the last two difficulties are "Hard at first, becomes easy after a little bit in" and "Instant death ball stomper mode", Nier Automata is always what comes to mind for me with that, they have like Super Easy, Normal (Easy), Hard (Normal) and then "One baby wind-up robot bullet does 90% of your health and that's if you build for defense" and it's like dammit, where's the stop between the other one I mentioned and torture mode.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
This only really seems to apply to certain game genres. I never seen anybody making fun of someone because they don't play a Civ game on Deity.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Strategy games are only played on high difficulties by people who are masochists or people using exploits that make the difficulty irrelevant. It doesn't matter to Florryworry that he's playing eu4 on highest difficulty because he's found a way to get infinite money anyways.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Imagine playing The Sims or Cities Skylines and earning the money legit lmao

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Macaluso posted:

Imagine playing The Sims or Cities Skylines and earning the money legit lmao

That's me. The Sims is the only game where I go hardcore

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I think I usually start on Normal simply because I assume it's the baseline difficulty the game was developed for. I only start off on a harder difficulty if it's a game where I feel like being overwhelmed by enemy forces is part of the point, like The Last of Us or DOOM.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Rocket Knight Adventures does this and it really peeves me. The game is too hard for me to play on the higher difficulties, so I've never seen the latter half of the game. :qq:

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I told myself I wouldn’t play another video game until I could beat Halo 2’s campaign on legendary.

It’s been 17 years. drat jackal snipers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Jamie Faith posted:

I usually play on hard for FPS (Ultra Violence for Doom, Hardened on Call of Duty, Heroic on Halo, etc) because I'm good at video games, but unlike most gamers, I realize being good at video gamez is not a real skill. Certainly not one worth bragging about.
People who unironically go all "Get gud" or "go back to cod :smug:" or cry about easy/story modes are embarrassing losers

i feel like to "get gud" at Doom and games like that, at least for me is to just let go and feel the dance and react, once you figure out weaknesses, its challanging but fun. but the second you try to focus to much, then your hosed and over think poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owvpRNzoaVU

like i do better when i am talking with friends or listening to a podcast.