Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Tip posted:

New neat trick to pull with your Quest (requires developer mode):
Open up your guardian settings and then walk to the edge of your playspace and poke your head out until it starts fading passthrough in, then turn off your guardian.

The halfway see through passthrough will remain, you can now load up apps and games with reality showing through.

From what I've seen the way it adds the two layers together results in whatever is brighter showing up. So if you have a dark surface in reality you'll able to see VR clearly through it, and anything dark in the VR app will show reality through clearly.

Apparently very cool with tilt brush, you can just draw all over reality.

I want to try hanging a black sheet over my projector screen and aligning it with the screen in BigScreen's void theatre and then use the multiplayer to bring my friends in. I mean, it probably won't work that well, but I'm in it for the novelty of an AR movie party where it looks like my friends are in my house but in lovely 3d avatar form.

If you do that, post screenshots, lol. Sounds wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Tip posted:

Open up your guardian settings and then walk to the edge of your playspace and poke your head out until it starts fading passthrough in, then turn off your guardian.

The halfway see through passthrough will remain, you can now load up apps and games with reality showing through.
Amazing! gently caress the virtual fence, slight reality overlay is much better.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

RabbitWizard posted:

Amazing! gently caress the virtual fence, slight reality overlay is much better.

Goon arrested after assaulting bystander. "They had an orc overlayed over their body, I was attacking the orc!", they claimed in their defense.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Ok, I just played with it and it's super cool. I had posted in this thread previously about attempts to draw one guardian wrapping throughout my house (didn't work), but this finally let's me walk around freely.

I used the bubbles home environment and it turned the normally ugly passthrough into a pastel wonderland. They should really let you tweak the colors on the passthrough, never realized how much I needed to be living inside a sunset.

I loaded up beat saber and it worked really well. The black backgrounds in the game mean that you really get a lot of unobstructed pass through. I walked around my house in beat saber and it was really odd and cool to see the blue dust particles in the air everywhere I went.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

The force mode (punching) on Synth Riders is an insanely good workout. Just flattened my rear end and I get about twice as many calories per song than Beat Saber.

The wait continues for the BMBF update for Beat Saber, it's been almost month now because they're still overhauling their whole backend. I've been waiting to help at least two of my friends install it and have been telling them "just a couple more days" for weeks now. :gonk:

Custom songs where I hate the actual track but it's good for sabering:

Something Just Like This by Coldplay

Shut Up and Dance by Walk the Moon

I'm not a big fan of either of these songs but they have great difficulty escalation and both maps have easier modes so you can work your way up.

Also RIP DMX

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Tip posted:

Ok, I just played with it and it's super cool. I had posted in this thread previously about attempts to draw one guardian wrapping throughout my house (didn't work), but this finally let's me walk around freely.

I used the bubbles home environment and it turned the normally ugly passthrough into a pastel wonderland. They should really let you tweak the colors on the passthrough, never realized how much I needed to be living inside a sunset.

I loaded up beat saber and it worked really well. The black backgrounds in the game mean that you really get a lot of unobstructed pass through. I walked around my house in beat saber and it was really odd and cool to see the blue dust particles in the air everywhere I went.

Hm, I remember you mentioning this before. I'm gonna have to try this out.

Edit: What's with all the "Boo, Quest ruined this game" reviews for Onward? Is this the thing where they made this version of the game look worse to allow parity between it and the Quest version of the game? If I'm a filthy Quest-haver should I just get that version of the game anyway, then?

explosivo fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Apr 13, 2021

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Yeah, that's the game they cut down. I dont think it was super super popular but every basic redditor is now mad about it.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Iirc they backported a lot of the trimming down into the non quest version which got the internet doing what the internet do. It’s a shame, I’m acquainted with one of the former Kerbal devs that work on that project and it’s made life pretty hard for them. That project also isn’t run super well so dumb decisions are to be expected somewhat.

Brooks Cracktackle
Oct 17, 2008

Onward also used to kind of be pitched as "realistic military simulator" and it really doesn't feel like it's taking that route at this point. For example, they removed the audio for bullets making supersonic cracks when they pass you, you can't loot dead AI anymore, AI uses canned death animations instead of ragdolls (of which there is basically no variety) and the visual quality is generally kind of subpar now.

It's still fun to play with friends, but it's not really "as advertised" anymore.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001
I don't know if someone else already answered the question about multitasking while someone is playing VR. You can absolutely do it. My wife plays Skyrim all the time on the same PC I am working on. The controls are totally separate and I can just minimize the window on the desktop. It's even possible to separate the audio out with the default windows audio mixer so that I can play youtube videos and it doesn't mix with the game audio. The only time anything crosses over is if the window is active.

The above is on the vive but I also have a quest 2 and with Virtual Desktop when you are in "VR Mode" the behaviour is the same.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tom Guycot posted:

I still think its going to be a standalone with a tethered option, similar to link, maybe with a built in wireless option. When you look at the first teaser image, it looks like theres a power button in a similar place to the q2, which you wouldn't put on a PC headset.

Actually the Vive, Pro and Cosmos all have a SteamVR button on the side.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Brooks Cracktackle posted:

Onward also used to kind of be pitched as "realistic military simulator" and it really doesn't feel like it's taking that route at this point. For example, they removed the audio for bullets making supersonic cracks when they pass you, you can't loot dead AI anymore, AI uses canned death animations instead of ragdolls (of which there is basically no variety) and the visual quality is generally kind of subpar now.

It's still fun to play with friends, but it's not really "as advertised" anymore.

I did get a little annoyed when I put a bipod on the bolt action sniper rifle and it attached to the barrel instead of the handguard (the M40 has a free float barrel and putting a bipod on it would mess with its accuracy). Coming from H3VR where everything is just so spot on stuff like that really stands out to me now.

Brooks Cracktackle
Oct 17, 2008

priznat posted:

I did get a little annoyed when I put a bipod on the bolt action sniper rifle and it attached to the barrel instead of the handguard (the M40 has a free float barrel and putting a bipod on it would mess with its accuracy). Coming from H3VR where everything is just so spot on stuff like that really stands out to me now.

I'm a huge nerd and really all I want is a multiplayer shootmans game with H3VR's weapon handling and level of gear interaction, and detail of simulation.

Onward is not that unfortunately. It's very odd and also amusing to me that the most authentic and convincing VR shooting combat experience is a game where you fight sentient hotdogs with funny hats

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Brooks Cracktackle posted:

I'm a huge nerd and really all I want is a multiplayer shootmans game with H3VR's weapon handling and level of gear interaction, and detail of simulation.

Onward is not that unfortunately. It's very odd and also amusing to me that the most authentic and convincing VR shooting combat experience is a game where you fight sentient hotdogs with funny hats

Yeah, for sure. The main thing Onward has going for it for me is the messing around with friends aspect and it is quite fun for that. Even just faffing about on the range was a good time!

We found you can pull the pin on a smoke grenade and then put it back in a pocket and run around cloaked in smoke and that was fun trying to score a hit on the other guy, we just made our own fun doing stuff like that.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.oculus.com/blog/save-the-date-first-ever-oculus-gaming-showcase-to-be-held-april-21/

quote:

This is our first event wholly dedicated to the stellar games across the Oculus Platform. You can expect new updates to fan-favorite titles, never-before-seen footage from some unreleased games, and a few surprises in store.

Cloudhead Games, Ready At Dawn, and ILMxLAB are just a few of the developers participating, with news to share on Pistol Whip, Lone Echo II, and Star Wars: Tales from the Galaxy’s Edge. Who else do you hope will make an appearance?

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Tip posted:

From what I've seen the way it adds the two layers together results in whatever is brighter showing up. So if you have a dark surface in reality you'll able to see VR clearly through it, and anything dark in the VR app will show reality through clearly.

Apparently very cool with tilt brush, you can just draw all over reality.

I want to try hanging a black sheet over my projector screen and aligning it with the screen in BigScreen's void theatre and then use the multiplayer to bring my friends in. I mean, it probably won't work that well, but I'm in it for the novelty of an AR movie party where it looks like my friends are in my house but in lovely 3d avatar form.

It would be nice to have better and easier to use ways to incorporate the AR passthrough into games. SteamVR has support for retrieving camera frames, and I was trying to get the Index camera passthrough working in UE4, but couldn't get the projection right.

OpenXR has an alpha blended passthrough mode, but naturally SteamVR doesn't support it. Combining it with the real-time photogrammetry reconstruction SteamVR does would be neat.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

For anyone who has played the MotherVR mod for Alien Isolation, how do I un-do the headset setting I chose so I can pick a different one? I accidentally picked Oculus instead of SteamVR since I'm using Virtual Desktop and every time I launch the game it tells me nothing's detected and it launches in the normal non VR mode. I have no idea how to change it or disable it so I can get in and switch that setting to SteamVR.

Also it looks like the dev who made this is working on a similar mod for the Halo Master Chief collection which sounds rad as hell if it works.

Edit: Nvm, found it. You can just edit the json file to change the VR Runtime to SteamVR.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 13, 2021

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Oculus v28 features are being 'leaked' by Support

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Turin Turambar posted:

Interesting stuff. So presumably with Air Link, you could just bypass needing Virtual Desktop altogether (assuming the latency is as good or better)

and of course 120hz is a big one

I don't know useful the virtual desk would be, they put in a virtual couch and it's pretty janky. Unless they eventually put in a camera-based virtual keyboard/mouse where your real keyboard and moouse are in real life as well. I guess it'll keep me from slamming my knees into the desk.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm curious to hear what this Air Link stuff is about. If it is a replacement for Virtual Desktop or if it only works with Oculus games?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Okay, so that is definitely a precursor to native wireless streaming, right? There is no way they would bother to add it and give it a catchy, marketable name just for pairing and fiddling about with settings.

Also, I wonder if Steam will automatically pick up when the headset switches to 120hz, because if so then that will be pretty great.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Turin Turambar posted:

I hope air link software support doesn't mean they've given up on the hardware dongle for wireless. I want a simple plug in solution that works perfectly and I don't have to worry about my home network being up to snuff.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Tip posted:

I hope air link software support doesn't mean they've given up on the hardware dongle for wireless. I want a simple plug in solution that works perfectly and I don't have to worry about my home network being up to snuff.

Ideal world would be both. Native WiFi for those of us who have already invested in getting wireless VR working, and a dongle option for those who haven’t.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

To note, Carmack already gave a clue of Air Link, with that name, existing in Sept 2020...
https://uploadvr.com/john-carmack-link-xr2-quest/

It's funny because the way he mentioned was, as if he had made up the name in the moment, but maybe it was already an experimental product internally.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The pico Neo 3 really reminds me of some other device... funny...
https://twitter.com/Tyrielwood/status/1381965874513510400

I'm intrigued by the curved screen, though.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

That’s totally not going to lead to a lawsuit.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Turin Turambar posted:

To note, Carmack already gave a clue of Air Link, with that name, existing in Sept 2020...
https://uploadvr.com/john-carmack-link-xr2-quest/

It's funny because the way he mentioned was, as if he had made up the name in the moment, but maybe it was already an experimental product internally.

Could easily have gone the other way too, with them naming it after John’s hypothetical module.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Fun fact: Matt Gaetz fiance is Palmer Luckey's sister.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Skyarb posted:

Chuds of a feather flock together

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I took a look through App Lab at last; I can't believe some madman made 3D Minesweeper. I also gave Pavlov Shack a go and the tutorial bugged out at the grenade section. It would just refuse to pull the pin for seemingly no reason, then after I threw the grenade and it blew up it would just loop back round to the beginning again.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

explosivo posted:

I'm curious to hear what this Air Link stuff is about. If it is a replacement for Virtual Desktop or if it only works with Oculus games?

If it just throws you into the PC Oculus dashboard (like using a physical link cable does), then it'll work with everything.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I took a look through App Lab at last; I can't believe some madman made 3D Minesweeper. I also gave Pavlov Shack a go and the tutorial bugged out at the grenade section. It would just refuse to pull the pin for seemingly no reason, then after I threw the grenade and it blew up it would just loop back round to the beginning again.

I think you have to blow up all three (?) targets in one grenade. Gave me loads of trouble too.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

https://www.oculus.com/blog/introdu...est-2-and-more/

Details on Air Link.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

So yeah, it's exactly what we think. Native integration of Virtual Desktop.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Do we know if PCVR games that already support 120 hz will work right away on the quest 2 via steam vr?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Oh speaking of VD I finally figured out why VD was being weird and stuttery on my Q2, the Quest was only seeing my 2.4ghz network and refusing to acknowledge the 5ghz one. Now I actually have that changed it works fine. Just in time for it to (hopefully) not be needed any more.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I'm slightly annoyed that I just bought VD a week ago, but I've absolutely got my money's worth in that time and I'm sure the Oculus version won't be as good out of the gate.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Air Link having spacewarp is a big advantage over VD.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Skyarb posted:

amazing, lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

SCheeseman posted:

Air Link having spacewarp is a big advantage over VD.

I have no idea what this means but I'm excited!