Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
poll
This poll is closed.
answer 1 9 8.33%
answer 2 15 13.89%
answer 3 48 44.44%
answer 4 36 33.33%
Total: 108 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Honestly Xenoblade X is sort of a strand game. You would have online lobbies of like 16 people who would never be in the same actual game instance but could complete gameplay missions to give everyone bonus EXP. There was also a logbook of every enemy in the game that would tell you how many players have defeated that enemy. I remember being like, the fourth person to kill one of the secret bosses. After that a bunch of people would post obscure boss locations and we would all get in on the ground floor to be in the top 10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Real hurthling! posted:

There are 2 genres: "kill poo poo" and "other"

No there's 3 genres: gently caress, marry, kill

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt1riRdQh6U

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Number go up and number go down

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dark Souls is the Dark Souls of Strand games

Mode 7 posted:

This got me thinking, what do people think the root gaming genres would be?

This is an interesting thought experiment and I'm gonna have to think about it a bit. It reminded me of something I read a while back about how game genres focusing entirely on what you do in a game rather than what the game is about, unlike fiction genres. Though ultimately, games are sorta defined by doing so I think it makes sense to focus on that as a method of categorization, if we're going to have categories at all.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

haveblue posted:

What if number go sideways??

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Honestly Xenoblade X is sort of a strand game. You would have online lobbies of like 16 people who would never be in the same actual game instance but could complete gameplay missions to give everyone bonus EXP. There was also a logbook of every enemy in the game that would tell you how many players have defeated that enemy. I remember being like, the fourth person to kill one of the secret bosses. After that a bunch of people would post obscure boss locations and we would all get in on the ground floor to be in the top 10

I forgot about all the weird online poo poo in that game, XBCX loving rules

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I'm trying out Avengers on PSNow and it's really a drat shame, the single player campaign is really fun and the voice acting and writing are actually very very good

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

What's the real difference between Blazing Sails and Sea of Thieves? There sure are a lot of pirate games that look like cartoons..

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Root games would primarily be those that were made for the first 3 generations of consoles, because it's not until the 90's that you begin to get significant deviation from what's possible.

Fighting
Adventure (Text based and Point & Click - See Sierra)
Platformers (This includes Mario, Metroid, Mega Man)
Shmups
Action Adventure (Zelda)
JRPG
Puzzle
Game Sim (Pool, Pong, Video Board Games)
Simulation
RTS/4x
FPS

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

JRPGs derive from Wizardry, which was based on dungeon crawl games that are a variation on Colossal Cave Adventure

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Pathway just hit their 2-year anniversary! XCOM + Indiana Jones had a really, really rough launch but turned into a fun little game about 14 months after it came out after they rolled out some major patches. The developers are taking a moment to recommend the Warpath Mod which is a total feature overhaul - neat! Nexusmod page here and headline features below:

Also *drumroll* controller support!

quote:

But wait .. there's one more thing
Today we can finally announce that Pathway is getting controller support! It's taken us a while to get here, for reasons we can't talk about (yet ). As of today, the controller version is available on the preview branch (for instructions how to access the preview version here).
Keep in mind, this is a preview release, and with that you can expect some bugs. But if you're ok with a few rough edges, we'd love your help in testing this build before we release it to everyone else! This build also includes a few other UI tweaks and fixes.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I'm also partway through a novel, and I can tell that switching back and forth between a Visual Novel and a unvisual Novel isn't going to work.

Im gonna need to switch to a different, less reading game for the time being and come back to Robotics;Notes when I'm done with the books

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

JRPGs derive from Wizardry, which was based on dungeon crawl games that are a variation on Colossal Cave Adventure

So replace JRPG with Wizardry RPG. :) It's still a distinct divide from the modern WRPG, which I forgot to include.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It’s all wargames all the way down

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Gave The Witness a try after having it sit on my PS4 hard drive for like at least two years, and while it's very pretty and I get what it's going for I am also horrid at it's kind of puzzles so I'm just going to watch a let's play of it instead, let someone else who is probably smarter than me in that area deal with it's puzzles

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
From really hosed up by not calling the second one Darker Souls imo

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

There is a new Disgaea mobile game out now on ios and android. Being the Disgaea hardcore fan that I am I will of course play it, but I am expecting it wont be good.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Jay Rust posted:

"This is a war universe. War all the time. That is its nature. There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games. All games are basically hostile. Winners and losers. We see them all around us: the winners and the losers. The losers can oftentimes become winners, and the winners can very easily become losers."

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

I said come in! posted:

There is a new Disgaea mobile game out now on ios and android. Being the Disgaea hardcore fan that I am I will of course play it, but I am expecting it wont be good.

I'm curious to see how much it breaks out of the traditional gatcha rpg mold? There's an Item world at least, so it's not just a complete clone of every other gatcha ever.

That said it'll probably be trash, not that it'll stop me from playing for a few weeks.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

it was so bad it nearly sunk nippon ichi, but maybe it's good now ????

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the mobage that almost sunk nippon ichi. no, the other one

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Walla posted:

Root games would primarily be those that were made for the first 3 generations of consoles, because it's not until the 90's that you begin to get significant deviation from what's possible.

Fighting
Adventure (Text based and Point & Click - See Sierra)
Platformers (This includes Mario, Metroid, Mega Man)
Shmups
Action Adventure (Zelda)
JRPG
Puzzle
Game Sim (Pool, Pong, Video Board Games)
Simulation
RTS/4x
FPS

What about Fighting games makes you list it as a root genre?

For my money I'd say Simulation -> Sports Sims (Heavyweight Champ was a boxing game for two players and the first 1v1 fighter, then stuff like Karate Champ which is still sport tournament themed) -> Fighting Games starts emerging as a distinct genre with Yie Ar Kung Fu and is established with Street Fighter.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Walla posted:

So replace JRPG with Wizardry RPG. :) It's still a distinct divide from the modern WRPG, which I forgot to include.

The modern WRPG arguably traces its lineage to Aklabeth/Ultima, which is very functionally similar to Wizardry, just differing in the regions where they became popular. Both were attempts to adapt D&D for the computer, and yes, because of D&D that means

Jay Rust posted:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Deki posted:

I'm curious to see how much it breaks out of the traditional gatcha rpg mold? There's an Item world at least, so it's not just a complete clone of every other gatcha ever.

That said it'll probably be trash, not that it'll stop me from playing for a few weeks.

If we are really lucky it will help pass the time until Disgaea 6 releases in the west.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

This tracks.
Death Stranding is a wargame. The war is between my patience and Kojima's masturbatory self-indulgence.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
GMTK did a really good video on the origins of RPGs

It's ostensibly about JRPGs but he has a lot of words about early WRPGs too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJiwn8iXqOI

Weedle
May 31, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The modern WRPG arguably traces its lineage to Aklabeth/Ultima, which is very functionally similar to Wizardry, just differing in the regions where they became popular. Both were attempts to adapt D&D for the computer, and yes, because of D&D that means

it actually goes back even further than that to mainframe games like “pedit5” for plato. akalabeth and wizardry kind of feel like attempts to distill the experience of plato rpgs into something a 1970s home computer could handle. idk if those guys ever actually played plato games though

http://crpgaddict.blogspot.com/2019/01/revisiting-dungeon-1975.html

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Mode 7 posted:

What about Fighting games makes you list it as a root genre?

For my money I'd say Simulation -> Sports Sims (Heavyweight Champ was a boxing game for two players and the first 1v1 fighter, then stuff like Karate Champ which is still sport tournament themed) -> Fighting Games starts emerging as a distinct genre with Yie Ar Kung Fu and is established with Street Fighter.

I'd say Fighting is completely different mechanically and visually from just about anything else, but I could see an argument for them being derived from sports sims which are themselves derived from general simulation games.

This also gets into the problem of when to decide when to establish where the core begins. I chose the 3rd Generation because it's after that we start to see the truly significant divide between PC and consoles. But then, what is Pac Man? Space Invaders? Centipede? Those are loving ancient games and don't really fit into any of the "core" games.

Bad Video Games fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Apr 13, 2021

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Weedle posted:

it actually goes back even further than that to mainframe games like “pedit5” for plato. akalabeth and wizardry kind of feel like attempts to distill the experience of plato rpgs into something a 1970s home computer could handle. idk if those guys ever actually played plato games though

http://crpgaddict.blogspot.com/2019/01/revisiting-dungeon-1975.html

The stuff people did with mainframes owns

Walla posted:

This also gets into the problem of when to decide when to establish where the core begins. I chose the 3rd Generation because it's after that we start to see the truly significant divide between PC and consoles. But then, what is Pac Man? Space Invaders? Centipede? Those are loving ancient games and don't really fit into any of the "core" games.

Those are all reflex action games, the primary distinction is mainly how the avatar moves and how it interacts with the world to earn points/eliminate threats

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

i hope the xenoblade 1 remaster did well and that it results in a xenoblade x rerelease of some kind

haveblue posted:

yet my number don't touch the ground

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

For Xenoblade X I feel like a sequel would work better than a remaster or re-release.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

A remaster would be a pretty funny slap in the face considering the ending is literally "tune in next time"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
If they're redoing any Xeno game it should be the Xenosaga trilogy

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I'm honestly not sure if I would want a Xenosaga directors cut. The dev story is that it was gonna be a six-part game but then just before the third game they got told "hey this is the last one end the series here" and had to condense four games worth of content down. But, the first two games are so slow and so little happens that I think I would have been absolutely furious I wasted so much time on five games and the ending of the game was what it was. Like, it's just nowhere near as interesting as Xenogears and the religious symbology just sort of feels like a coat of paint

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
thanks to the power of friendship i temporarily have an xbox 360 and so just started sonic the hedgehog [2006], a game i'd previously skipped because i didn't want to bother figuring out 360 emulation for a bad game. unfortunately my computer can't handle it (and apparently unleashed doesn't emulate that well anyway?) so 06 gets to be the first game in this quest that i'm playing on its original hardware because unleashed hasn't arrived yet lol

it's also.....not that bad?? i mean the controls are muddy and proper collision detection is a coin flip and the human princess character is a joke but it's not the unplayable monstrosity people like to say it is. even the mach speed sections aren't that bad! however please feel free to quote this post at me if i get mad later

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I'm honestly not sure if I would want a Xenosaga directors cut.

I am sure that I do.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Looper posted:

it's also.....not that bad?? i mean the controls are muddy and proper collision detection is a coin flip and the human princess character is a joke but it's not the unplayable monstrosity people like to say it is. even the mach speed sections aren't that bad! however please feel free to quote this post at me if i get mad later

How far have you gotten? I remember maybe two mach speed sections being okay but the third one was where things totally started to break down, where levels became more involved and incomprehensible and then it capped with the mach speed section being Sonic running toward the camera

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Xenogears remake like the FF7 Remake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I picked up my 3ds for the first time in years aand it seems to have gotten smaller??

Looper posted:

thanks to the power of friendship i temporarily have an xbox 360 and so just started sonic the hedgehog [2006], a game i'd previously skipped because i didn't want to bother figuring out 360 emulation for a bad game. unfortunately my computer can't handle it (and apparently unleashed doesn't emulate that well anyway?) so 06 gets to be the first game in this quest that i'm playing on its original hardware because unleashed hasn't arrived yet lol

Wave ocean or w/e is the game's peak, good luck.