Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

Dia de Pikachutos posted:

Holy poo poo, somehow I managed to swing a HM in the :parrot: Olympus Image of the Year 2020 :parrot: contest thing with this puppy

Nice! What is that thing? It sort of reminds me of looking through a petrographic microscope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Cogratulations! That shot is great, definitely well-earned.

Scarodactyl fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Apr 8, 2021

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Some early spring macros before the weather went cold again

Ladybird new diffuser by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Some sort of fly by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

accipter posted:

Nice! What is that thing? It sort of reminds me of looking through a petrographic microscope.

It's amino acid crystals in compensated polarised light, so it's pretty much exactly that!

Scarodactyl posted:

Cogratulations! That shot is great, definitely well-earned.
:blush:

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

First picture I've taken that crossed the line from "cool" to "something I'm really happy about". Waited about an hour for the little guy to crawl out of my car door and sit somewhere visible for more than five seconds.

Edit: apparently I don't know how to embed image links on mobile.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

thocan posted:

First picture I've taken that crossed the line from "cool" to "something I'm really happy about". Waited about an hour for the little guy to crawl out of my car door and sit somewhere visible for more than five seconds.

Edit: apparently I don't know how to embed image links on mobile.

Nice work, jumpers that live in cars can sometimes get dehydrated you could try a small spray bottle of water somewhere and they might take a drink for you.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
These are all 1:1 and edited for sharing to instagram, I'm too lazy to upload better versions that would look right at this size. Still felt like sharing since the thread is alive again with spring here. In the 2nd one you can see my diffuser+hand holding my camera in it's eyes.

Orb Weaver on Web by Kevin Long, on Flickr

Brown Jumper 4_6_20 by Kevin Long, on Flickr

Jumper on Blue by Kevin Long, on Flickr

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Cool.
I caught this neat little dude a couple days ago.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

joat mon posted:

Cool.
I caught this neat little dude a couple days ago.

Hypsosinga Rubens, I think? They're very cool looking, haven't found one in a while. Nice shot!

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Hypsosinga Rubens, I think? They're very cool looking, haven't found one in a while. Nice shot!

That's what I think for ID, as well. It's the first one I've seen. It's a nice start to the season!

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

joat mon posted:

That's what I think for ID, as well. It's the first one I've seen. It's a nice start to the season!

Spider season isn't for another 6 months in California!

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
We caught some tadpoles in a pond and are going to raise them. They're at the stage where they have the cool Spiral guts, anyone have creative solutions for how to get good macros of them?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

We caught some tadpoles in a pond and are going to raise them. They're at the stage where they have the cool Spiral guts, anyone have creative solutions for how to get good macros of them?

1) Put them in a 1/2 inch to inch of water in a 10 gallon aquarium, rest each short edge of the aquarium on a (different) chair, lie under the aquarium and shoot from below.

2) Put 2-3 inches of water in a container and put a section of mirror in the bottom of the container, shoot a little off vertical so you can get top and bottom in the same shot (e: no, I think focus won't work for top and bottom at the same time)

joat mon fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Apr 13, 2021

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

More from the Laowa 2.5 -5x super macro

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Two different tired bees on two different days.

Tired Bee Closeup by Kevin Long, on FlickrCold Honeybee by Kevin Long, on Flickr

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Two different tired bees on two different days.

Tired Bee Closeup by Kevin Long, on FlickrCold Honeybee by Kevin Long, on Flickr

very nice work!

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

This is not an attempt at a cool picture, instead I am trying to identify these.

If it helps, this is in SoCal. Are these caterpillar bros or should I kill them with fire?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

CritterQuest can help but I too hate it when my pubes and greek yogurt covered rasins supply gets infested.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Megabound posted:

CritterQuest can help but I too hate it when my pubes and greek yogurt covered rasins supply gets infested.

Lol, and thanks.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

theHUNGERian posted:

This is not an attempt at a cool picture, instead I am trying to identify these.
If it helps, this is in SoCal. Are these caterpillar bros or should I kill them with fire?

Maybe ermine moths based on this?

https://www.allaboutworms.com/patches-of-worms-found-in-new-hampshire-house-are-american-ermine-moth-larvae

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

That is not possible just now
Creeping on bees at 1X, first day I've seen them out.

I need to upgrade my flash setup and stop trying handhold shots on windy days.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Critterquest suggested "young larvae of the fall armyworm". The moths certainly look familiar.

Completely different subject:

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 30, 2021

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

It's warmed up a lot here, so I'm happy to have a lot more subjects to shoot.
Really neat caterpillar, a Ceratonyx satanaria (satanaria because it's got satan-like horns). The camouflage on this guy is amazing. It really looks like a twig with little leaf buds, and scars of branches broken off.
Spanworm (Ceratonyx satanaria)

A jewel bug. Really pretty. Probably a tree killer though.
Buprestis salisburyensis?

Random beetle with lamellate antennae.
Uknown beetle with lamellate antennae

An assassin bug feeding on a small native bee.
Zelus luridus(?) feeding on bee

A cicada that failed it's ecdysis (didn't emerge from the larval form successfully).
Cicada that failed ecdysis

On the next plant I saw one that was in good shape.
Cicada

An ant.
Ant

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Lovely stuff, it's pissing down here been really bad for macro recently.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
That caterpillar is incredible!

accipter
Sep 12, 2003
How do people stabilize plants and branches from being moved by the wind when taking photos?

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

accipter posted:

How do people stabilize plants and branches from being moved by the wind when taking photos?

Hand contortions.

With your left hand, pinch the stem of the branch. Flex your left wrist in toward the center of your body. Holding the camera in your right hand, rest your lens on your left wrist (or left hand near your thumb). Now you have the camera stabilized on two points, with a rigid contact to the stem that your subject is on. This is the secret.

Of course you need a macro lens with a compatible focusing distance (not a 180mm macro for example).

If you are doing natural light work with a tripod, a good hardware solution is to use plamps. They are like a flexible arm with a clamp on one side that grips your tripod, and the other end has a small alligator clip type clamp for your twig/diffuser/background. I have some plamps but mostly use the wrist technique because I’m not patient enough.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

Graniteman posted:

Hand contortions.

With your left hand, pinch the stem of the branch. Flex your left wrist in toward the center of your body. Holding the camera in your right hand, rest your lens on your left wrist (or left hand near your thumb). Now you have the camera stabilized on two points, with a rigid contact to the stem that your subject is on. This is the secret.

Of course you need a macro lens with a compatible focusing distance (not a 180mm macro for example).

If you are doing natural light work with a tripod, a good hardware solution is to use plamps. They are like a flexible arm with a clamp on one side that grips your tripod, and the other end has a small alligator clip type clamp for your twig/diffuser/background. I have some plamps but mostly use the wrist technique because I’m not patient enough.

Thanks for both of those suggestions. Any recommended plamps? Wimberley Plamp II comes up on BH Photo.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Finally some bugs to photograph

14-Spot Ladybird munches by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Spider Reach by Aves Lux, on Flickr

It's a fly eat fly world by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

accipter posted:

Thanks for both of those suggestions. Any recommended plamps? Wimberley Plamp II comes up on BH Photo.

Yep, that's the one.

jarlywarly posted:

Finally some bugs to photograph

It's a fly eat fly world

Nice shots! Is the fly focus stack shot handheld? I need to try that more often.

A recent shot of mine: face of a crane fly at about 3:1.

Crane Fly

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Thanks, that's not a stack it's a single frame at f/11.

That crane fly is really nice, love the proboscis detail and anything at 3x is a tough shot.

jarlywarly fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jun 2, 2021

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

jarlywarly posted:

Thanks, that's not a stack it's a single frame at f/11.

That crane fly is really nice, love the proboscis detail and anything at 3x is a tough shot.

Huh! The left fly legs are blurred in front of the second flys leg in focus so I thought it was a focus stack artifact but I see now the legs just rise toward the camera rather than recede toward the right fly. It looks like a ton of DOF, so nice getting that focus plane in the sweet spot.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
This is going to sound really dumb but I started editing my photos on my wife's iPad pro instead of my dumpy old laptop and it's like I'm seeing my own photos for the first time. I didn't realize how poo poo my laptop screen really was.

Anyway I'm still going to mash them up and put them on IG.

Here's a very tired (mason?) bee on my finger.

IMG-3131 by Kevin Long, on Flickr

Fingers McLongDong fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jun 2, 2021

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Graniteman posted:

Huh! The left fly legs are blurred in front of the second flys leg in focus so I thought it was a focus stack artifact but I see now the legs just rise toward the camera rather than recede toward the right fly. It looks like a ton of DOF, so nice getting that focus plane in the sweet spot.

Yeah the bigger fly has the prey flies abdomen in between it's forelegs, there's a lot of fly legs intermeshed so it gets confusing to look at.

I think that is mason or a leafcutter bee Fingers.

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.
My hands are shaky because of a medicine side effect, but at least I can still do controlled environment stuff.

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

Had a nice cool morning after a rain and got some shots of a docile dragonfly and dauber wasp I'm happy with.
blue metallic mud dauber (Chalybion californicum)

blue metallic mud dauber (Chalybion californicum)

Thorey's Grayback Dragonfly (Tachopteryx thoreyi)

Thorey's Grayback Dragonfly (Tachopteryx thoreyi)

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Red Tailed Bumble Bee Queen by Aves Lux, on Flickr

jarlywarly fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jun 14, 2021

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I just got back from a trip to NY and finally had a chance to try out my Kubotek line scan lens in the field. I still have very little idea what I'm doing--turns out non-studio macro is pretty different from working on a microscope, who'd have thought. Still had a lot of fun with it anyway. The long-legged flies and dragonflies decided to be unusually cooperative.

This one was sort of stacked, or at least clumsily combined from two photos.
long legged fly on raspberry by Stephen Challener, on Flickr

green dragonfly by Stephen Challener, on Flickr

brown dragonfly face by Stephen Challener, on Flickr

These damselflies were particularly fun to watch in motion--the spot on their tail almost looks fluorescent, and in the shadows they look like a pair of spots gliding through the air.
damselfly on knotweed by Stephen Challener, on Flickr

Scarodactyl fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
love seeing the dragonflies lil claws wrapped around the branch