Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Over expired tags

Best part was they felt expired tags required 3 officers that we can see...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElbowRooming
Jan 27, 2021
Toapapper2020

Jaxyon posted:

Minnesota cops killed another black man and are trying the old chestnut Johannes Messerle used after killing Oscar Grant

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/12/us/brooklyn-center-minnesota-police-shooting/index.html

And that cop was a woman. https://twitter.com/zerosum24/status/1381657719569010688

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

That footage is hosed. She 100% should lose her job but a jury isn't going to convict her, because the victim "struggled" and "tried to run".

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

LionArcher posted:

That footage is hosed. She 100% should lose her job but a jury isn't going to convict her, because the victim "struggled" and "tried to run".

Eh. Based on the way even Minneapolis Police leadership are treating it, they want to throw her to the wolves. Misogyny probably.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

Eh. Based on the way even Minneapolis Police leadership are treating it, they want to throw her to the wolves. Misogyny probably.

Oh, I don't doubt that they'll "fire her" but I wouldn't be shocked if she gets hired by another department and I'd be surprised if she serves jail time.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

CommieGIR posted:

As a quick FYI, this doesn't involve MPD. She's employed by Brooklyn Center Police Department and this occurred in Brooklyn Center

Kalit fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Apr 12, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kalit posted:

As a quick FYI, this doesn't involve MPD. She's employed by Brooklyn Center Police Department and this occurred in Brooklyn Center

My bad, thanks.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
https://twitter.com/DrRJKavanagh/status/1381786521498497026

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The writing on this season really is too on the nose.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Lmao

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
https://twitter.com/michaelharriot/status/1382371831261323264

Just unreal.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Is there a more concise kind of 2-page summary of what policy abolition is and what it would look like?

There's a bunch of great articles in the OP like Confessions of a Bastard Cop, but there's a group of people I'm interacting with that need:

1. A short, digestible, summary
2. From a published source (aka, not just me summarizing for them)

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Crosspostin'

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

FYI the original is from Reason magazine, which is why I didn't link to it directly.

Broken clock, etc.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Is there a more concise kind of 2-page summary of what policy abolition is and what it would look like?

There's a bunch of great articles in the OP like Confessions of a Bastard Cop, but there's a group of people I'm interacting with that need:

1. A short, digestible, summary
2. From a published source (aka, not just me summarizing for them)

Yes, We Mean Literally Abolish the Police by Mariam’s Kaba is a good short introduction to the concept that ran in the New York Times last year.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
https://twitter.com/W_R_Emory/status/1383280504976199680?s=19

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Any gun folks want to confirm?

https://twitter.com/RoseCityAntifa/status/1384383658941841409

Harriot again, but this is a really good set of data in response to someone he embarrassed so hard they deleted the post.

https://twitter.com/michaelharriot/status/1384294250670526467

Thread that follows is him compiling all the statistics that show how racist police violence is and offering a sweet $5 bet to anyone who can prove him wrong.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

I mean, this is connected to the warrior cop crap alone, white supremacy aside (which its no doubt connected to).

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.
The Mozambique drill is a shooting technique invented by white South African/Rhodesian mercenaries designed to garantuee a fatal outcome at close range. So yeah, it does have white supremacist connotations and military origins.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
A cop in westminister decided to punch a handcuffed woman on camera.

While ACAB, are they all loving dumb too? You’d think that even the dimmer one would take it easy for a few days after Chauvin trial due to public sentiment. I guess just if you always treat people like poo poo, it’s a hard habit to break.

https://www.foxla.com/video/925021

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Vahakyla posted:

While ACAB, are they all loving dumb too?

This story is twenty years old, but there is precedent for police being screened out for scoring too high on intelligence tests.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Vahakyla posted:

While ACAB, are they all loving dumb too? You’d think that even the dimmer one would take it easy for a few days after Chauvin trial due to public sentiment. I guess just if you always treat people like poo poo, it’s a hard habit to break.

https://www.foxla.com/video/925021
Another article said the cop punched her after she kicked him in the thigh, but also that he shoved her to the ground before that.
Cops are complete children with all the "I'm not touching you/simon says" nonsense and bickering over who started it.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

This story is twenty years old, but there is precedent for police being screened out for scoring too high on intelligence tests.

While fair to call them dumb, this precedent isn’t necessary ”cop dumb” because lots of cities have pretty high educational standards and pick smarter ones, they’re just still nazis.

This particular case is pretty fair because the citt had issues with people getting hired as cops to get public pay before training, then bolting to other employment after some time with their education and such, basically just using it as a holding pattern. The city is justified in screening out those people. Same poo poo occasionally in fire service, if you got a dude who has two master’s degrees in engineering and is there ”to see where it takes me” because he just got fired or something, when it’s clear he just needs pay and bennies until he’s out of the town.

This court case is trotted out as some universal US policy, while it’s evidently a rare case.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

eSporks posted:

Another article said the cop punched her after she kicked him in the thigh, but also that he shoved her to the ground before that.
Cops are complete children with all the "I'm not touching you/simon says" nonsense and bickering over who started it.

yeah the simon says poo poo is loving terrifying. like that rear end in a top hat in the hotel hallway with the loving punisher cop.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Vahakyla posted:

While fair to call them dumb, this precedent isn’t necessary ”cop dumb” because lots of cities have pretty high educational standards and pick smarter ones, they’re just still nazis.

This particular case is pretty fair because the citt had issues with people getting hired as cops to get public pay before training, then bolting to other employment after some time with their education and such, basically just using it as a holding pattern. The city is justified in screening out those people. Same poo poo occasionally in fire service, if you got a dude who has two master’s degrees in engineering and is there ”to see where it takes me” because he just got fired or something, when it’s clear he just needs pay and bennies until he’s out of the town.

Obtaining cops that are inclined to follow orders and not ask questions is a nice fringe benefit though

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Obtaining cops that are inclined to follow orders and not ask questions is a nice fringe benefit though

“Smart” people (and by smart I mean score high on IQ tests) don’t have significantly greater life outcomes than an average person, I doubt it will make a huge difference in if they question authority or not.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://www.insider.com/doj-weighs-charges-against-chauvin-for-2017-incident-abc-news-2021-4

have some possible good news. the feds are thinking of bring charges up on chauvin for past crimes.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://www.insider.com/doj-weighs-charges-against-chauvin-for-2017-incident-abc-news-2021-4

have some possible good news. the feds are thinking of bring charges up on chauvin for past crimes.

its that bohrs comic about them watching a line hit the threshold to jump out and scream BAD APPLE

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

The important thing is that it will demoralize cops lol

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Dapper_Swindler posted:

They also just announced they are looking into the Louisville, KY PD after their shooting of Breonna Taylor.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
This site has some fancy graphics in addition to some good data on police violence

https://policeviolencereport.org/

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

I'd define police as people that are empowered to use violence to effect an arrest with only probable cause that a crime was committed. That includes municipal police, FBI, postal inspectors, park rangers, etc. Am I right in assuming that this is not the definition people are using when talking about abolishing police? The only goal is to remove municipal police that are performing non-arrest activities while armed?

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

NovemberMike posted:

I'd define police as people that are empowered to use violence to effect an arrest with only probable cause that a crime was committed. That includes municipal police, FBI, postal inspectors, park rangers, etc. Am I right in assuming that this is not the definition people are using when talking about abolishing police? The only goal is to remove municipal police that are performing non-arrest activities while armed?

I’m willing to consider abolishing any of the above but definitely our approach is to municipal policing is fundamentally broken.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

NovemberMike posted:

No.

Police abolition generally means destroying the current institution and creating a new law enforcement system that isn't connected to the hundreds of years of white supremacist policing.

Some functions of the new system might be similar to what we currently call policing but a lot of what police currently do isn't really useful and efficient for them to do and funding for those fucntions would go to systems/professionals that are better equipped and trained to do that stuff.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
A lot of law enforcement is hosed up, but municipal police, and county sheriff’s are often the most hosed up, and probably the cause of most police violence and oppression.

Something like Postal Inspectors as federal agents are constitutionally mandated. We aren’t abolishing them, and probably not the mainstay federal agencies either like FBI. And I’d say they are pretty reformable, and already ”not as bad”.

Lot of the federal agencies are also something voting and progressive politicians have the most control over, as does executive appointment of directors. Local cops are often mired in old white people local politics, or greasy mayors like NYC. Sheriffs are also conservative by design due to rural vote, and have too much power.

Municipal cops and sheriffs? They gotta go. Then we start looking at state polices.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 28, 2021

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
FBI has a very long history of white supremacy as well, but I realize that's going to be harder to abolish than local police.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Jaxyon posted:

FBI has a very long history of white supremacy as well, but I realize that's going to be harder to abolish than local police.

It does, no denying. But reversing that course is also a lot easier due to executive power, and the congress. In addition, their high education requirements mean their agents are more professional and career oriented people that you can reform, because the good old boy network is harder to keep up due to civil service laws.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Jaxyon posted:

No.

Police abolition generally means destroying the current institution and creating a new law enforcement system that isn't connected to the hundreds of years of white supremacist policing.

Some functions of the new system might be similar to what we currently call policing but a lot of what police currently do isn't really useful and efficient for them to do and funding for those fucntions would go to systems/professionals that are better equipped and trained to do that stuff.

Are you saying that you're generally ok with the powers and duties of the police but you want to abolish the specific system? What would success look like to you? Is the important thing a gap in continuity and a destruction of the culture of policing like the uniforms, warrior culture training, names, etc?

Are there any cultures you'd look to for examples of good policing? IIRC historically the Chinese had officials that didn't proactively look for crimes but would investigate crimes that were brought to them? I'm assuming that when you talk about moving responsibilities to organizations that are more suited you're talking about mostly misdemeanor crimes?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

NovemberMike posted:

Are you saying that you're generally ok with the powers and duties of the police but you want to abolish the specific system? What would success look like to you? Is the important thing a gap in continuity and a destruction of the culture of policing like the uniforms, warrior culture training, names, etc?

Are there any cultures you'd look to for examples of good policing? IIRC historically the Chinese had officials that didn't proactively look for crimes but would investigate crimes that were brought to them? I'm assuming that when you talk about moving responsibilities to organizations that are more suited you're talking about mostly misdemeanor crimes?

Give the first post and the links it contains a once over before asking someone to explain foundational stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Give the first post and the links it contains a once over before asking someone to explain foundational stuff.
What gives you the impression I haven't looked at those things? This isn't exactly foundational, I'm already in agreement that the warrior culture stuff is bad, cops aren't really trained to handle misdemeanor offenses in a reasonable way, cops aren't trained to handle mental health cases or people with disabilities. I also realize that defunding/abolition doesn't involve just letting people commit real felonies (rape, murder, assault causing real harms) with impunity. What I'm trying to understand is where it all comes together.