Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I think Versys 650 would be the ideal like commute crusher for a lot of reasons, also I am heavily influenced by Ari's opinion on it lmao. It is admittedly a very lifeless boring machine but I had a ninja650 with that same motor and I think it is very very good at commuting and crushing miles while mostly sipping fuel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah I took my Versys across the state once and it was a very comfy, inoffensive, if bland ride

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
I would definitely consider the FJR1300, it's shaft drive and it's one of those bikes that they've been making basically unchanged for ages.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

Also get a test ride on a vfr800. The v4 in that bike is one of the most bulletproof engines in production. They also sound and feel awesome.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Having a five day old kid at home didn't stop me from undoing the winterization process. I smelled plenty of rodent piss in the barn but none under the tarp, maybe peppermint oil isn't worthless. No sign of rodents getting into my wiring etc, either.

All ready to go, vrrm, let's see if I can get more than 400 shameful miles added to this thing in 2021 unlike 2020.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
How do you like it? Given it's price I have thought about trying one.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Cabbages and Kings posted:

All ready to go, vrrm, let's see if I can get more than 400 shameful miles added to this thing in 2021 unlike 2020.

We're all rooting for you! Is it more than 200 miles to the dealer?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Having a five day old kid at home didn't stop me from undoing the winterization process. I smelled plenty of rodent piss in the barn but none under the tarp, maybe peppermint oil isn't worthless. No sign of rodents getting into my wiring etc, either.

Is this the RE Himalayan that broke many times, and that "journey" was documented in these forums?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I feel like I remember him eventually taking that one back and getting a second one in exchange

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Yeah, I think that rings a bell. Is this that new one then?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Steakandchips posted:

Is this the RE Himalayan that broke many times, and that "journey" was documented in these forums?

Nope, this is the one the dealer hush-hush swapped with me, after it turned out that the issue with mine had primarily been my own silliness (putting an oil filter in backwards :suicide:) plus what the dealership saw as their own silliness in not noticing that when I had given them a QA bug report style punch list of "here's what I did and what happened". This was not determined until after I'd swapped for a new bike, but the dealer owner called me and said that he had immediately noticed this because he thought the writeup I'd given them was great and made it really obvious that one set of issues started after an oil change. I don't have any real reason to think anything else wrong with that bike was more than pre-break-in blues, though the replacement idled better with 11 miles on it than the original had with 200. Dealer told me the tech who had overlooked this was no longer working there and asked me not to post it in my RE forum thread*, so :-/ I don't have super great feelings about it. On the other hand, I'm a jackass consumer and I provided a much better than normal annotated list of the issues with the bike and the chain of events around them, and the owner instantly realized the issue, so I guess I just facilitated someone else in loving up at their job and maybe it's better it happened this way than some way that got someone killed.

Sorry for the :words: but I wanted to set the record on that.

I put 40 lazy miles or so on today, feels good. 60s here.

* SA is private and smallish and I'm assuming no one from RE corporate reads this. If so, be kind?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

RE corporate hasn't got the internet don't be silly

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Nope, this is the one the dealer hush-hush swapped with me, after it turned out that the issue with mine had primarily been my own silliness (putting an oil filter in backwards :suicide:) plus what the dealership saw as their own silliness in not noticing that when I had given them a QA bug report style punch list of "here's what I did and what happened". This was not determined until after I'd swapped for a new bike, but the dealer owner called me and said that he had immediately noticed this because he thought the writeup I'd given them was great and made it really obvious that one set of issues started after an oil change. I don't have any real reason to think anything else wrong with that bike was more than pre-break-in blues, though the replacement idled better with 11 miles on it than the original had with 200. Dealer told me the tech who had overlooked this was no longer working there and asked me not to post it in my RE forum thread*, so :-/ I don't have super great feelings about it. On the other hand, I'm a jackass consumer and I provided a much better than normal annotated list of the issues with the bike and the chain of events around them, and the owner instantly realized the issue, so I guess I just facilitated someone else in loving up at their job and maybe it's better it happened this way than some way that got someone killed.

Sorry for the :words: but I wanted to set the record on that.

I put 40 lazy miles or so on today, feels good. 60s here.

* SA is private and smallish and I'm assuming no one from RE corporate reads this. If so, be kind?

tbh, sounds like a pretty good dealer.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It would be the most perfect irony if the only good dealer on earth only sells enfields.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

RE corporate hasn't got the internet don't be silly

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Slavvy posted:

It would be the most perfect irony if the only good dealer on earth only sells enfields.

No, they sell Urals, too!

This is not a joke.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wonder if the ural rep beats up the RE rep when they show up at the same time.

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE STONE AGE BIKE BRAND

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Slavvy posted:

Wonder if the ural rep beats up the RE rep when they show up at the same time.

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE STONE AGE BIKE BRAND

I don't know about the stone age bike claim for RE, they seems to have the engine assembly figured out better than most.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GAUo8eUXeU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

McTinkerson posted:

I don't know about the stone age bike claim for RE, they seems to have the engine assembly figured out better than most.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GAUo8eUXeU

Have you considered that the RE techs change the oil when the bike is uncrated? Cause that's what's happening there.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

All jokes aside, I'm a QA tech (in a very different, computer touching way) and a reason I bought another Enfield is that I know they've massively invested in QA, and a lot of what they did makes sense to me. All RE's that enter the US now come in through the same Texas entry point and the same US QA team assesses all of them before they are rejected or sent on to US dealerships. Whether this will really lead to a quality brand over time is anyone's guess, but I like my little Hima and if that stays true for a couple years I can see going back to the dealer and getting one of the 650cc version that will be available here by then.

It's certainly possible it's all for naught and the brand fails to build a base here and crumbles, but to me it's a little like Kia -- when I worked in a car dealership in 2008 I would never have encouraged a friend to get a Kia. I think that brand is in a much better spot quality wise than they were in 2008 and I could see RE being a similar story.

Or, maybe my pegs fall off and I die.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

where I decided to turn around:

why I decided to turn around:

lovely screen grab from my insta story, but I was glad I walked it (in my goretex toucans 😎) cause it got probably 2ft deeper in that still area (I’m standing in ~1ft of water in the pic) right before the county “road” comes out of the river bed on the right there lol

solid day though, glad I finally found some somewhat decent trails near nashville

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.

Now to figure out luggage... and also never, ever clean it.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I'm usually a big fan of obnoxiously colored wheels but those I cannot abide

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

right arm posted:

why I decided to turn around:

lovely screen grab from my insta story, but I was glad I walked it (in my goretex toucans 😎) cause it got probably 2ft deeper in that still area (I’m standing in ~1ft of water in the pic) right before the county “road” comes out of the river bed on the right there lol

solid day though, glad I finally found some somewhat decent trails near nashville

I love how these look. Check out that orange spoked front wheel. The luggage. The windscreen. So good.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Really beautiful bike. You should have sent it anyway.

Isolationist posted:

This right here is the reason I started loving ktm, and why the 1290R of that generation is a bucket list bike. In that colorway it's easily the best looking bike they every made. Enjoy! (keep posting pics)

FBS posted:

I'm usually a big fan of obnoxiously colored wheels but those I cannot abide

Mod please ban this sick filth.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Rolo posted:

I love how these look. Check out that orange spoked front wheel. The luggage. The windscreen. So good.

ty ty :D

Isolationist posted:

:hellyeah: the SD motor is so loving good lol puts my SAR to shame. I love the LC8 so very very much

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Coydog posted:

Mod please ban this sick filth.

Strongly considering it because two tone split wheels rule

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

Really beautiful bike. You should have sent it anyway.

This. Always be sending it. Its a requirement for ktm ownership. Send it on the trails, send it at the parts department.

right arm posted:

ty ty :D

:hellyeah: the SD motor is so loving good lol puts my SAR to shame. I love the LC8 so very very much

:same:
Gonna have to super enduro one someday. Got to see/hear a well used 790 up close and uh yeah I still got nothing to do with the lc8c.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Isolationist posted:

Glorious, you're off to valhalla for sure.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/DAoDcaf.mp4

My camera wanted to be in some weird video mode, but I got out for a ~90 min, 40ish mile run down the mountain and then back up. When I got to some of the top ridges I found a lot of ruts and gravel and some mud so I was happy to have knobbies on.

Looking forward to a relaxed and scenic 2021 season. I've got a newborn kid so I am ATGATT 110% and I am also taking it pretty easy.

edit: I didn't realize that would inline. Sort of awful, is that what biking in Meth is like?

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Just to keep spamming this page with KTM orange:

Feeling like spring.

Speaking of luggage, installed some 6l saddle bags on it last night:

Seems secure. Imagine I'll be able to strap a 20L bag on there without any problem. 32L of storage should be plenty for credit card touring.

dema fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Apr 11, 2021

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Did someone say orange?

(I know, I posted it recently. But it seems like the KTM Krew is out and about today)

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Got a chance to do something other than divided freeway and country highway riding.

Did about 40 miles of dirt roads and some stuff that was marked "road" but I wouldn't want to take a car down. Going pretty slow but I'm getting the hang of it. The closest I came to dropping the bike was in a highway turnout that for some reason had about 4 inches of loose gravel on it.

I gotta get myself a helmet with better airflow.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Apr 12, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Take notes people, this is how you take a picture.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I did a track day after a long hiatus

I haven't decided if I'll buy the photo set, but this one's kinda neat.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

right arm posted:

I see you with that new orange Reckless

I snagged the orange BC35s & 40L duffel the second I saw them, fly as hell

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

MetaJew posted:

I haven't decided if I'll buy the photo set, but this one's kinda neat.
Nice! That looks like a really great track setup.

I'd love to do one again someday, it's already getting hot here in AZ and it shuts down for the summer next month, but maybe in the winter. I ended up buying a smaller res version of a couple of the track photog pictures, that was my compromise. Totally worth it.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I'd love to do one again someday, it's already getting hot here in AZ and it shuts down for the summer next month, but maybe in the winter. I ended up buying a smaller res version of a couple of the track photog pictures, that was my compromise. Totally worth it.

I'm getting the itch again, but I don't have the energy to drive and camp out/get a hotel to the few remaining Texas tracks.

COTA is only a 30-ish minute drive away, and the next track day is in June when it will likely be hot as gently caress. I may still do it, but we'll see.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Where do you go for track days in AZ? (Hopefully SoAZ)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

MetaJew posted:

That's a nice looking garage, is it reasonably priced per day?

Russian Bear posted:

Where do you go for track days in AZ? (Hopefully SoAZ)

Chuckwalla is about as far from Phoenix as it is from LA, which is to say not that close and a huge pain in the rear end, but doable. Although I imagine South AZ is Tuscon vs Phoenix.

MetaJew posted:

next track day is in June when it will likely be hot as gently caress

Guess which day my supermoto day is?

And due to covid you now hang out outside between sessions rather than the portable trailer with AC for the classroom time. It's ok though, after going too hard in the early sessions last time and being absolutely wiped come afternoon, I'm going to take it easy and work on technique in the morning, maybe skip the ~1pm session, and save energy for the afternoon when everyone is tired and the track is empty.