Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah now is not the time to be building anything that needs plywood. Government needs to develop like soviet-level mass produced housing out of cob or some poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Concrete brutalist is back baby awooooooo

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Noblesse Obliged posted:

ohhh, bad news... there

I know that you can use metal forms and Foam ICF forms instead, but metal ones are expensive as gently caress and require cranes and poo poo

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Imagine this:

https://www.cnet.com/pictures/the-strange-underground-homes-in-the-coober-pedy-desert-australia/4/

But in an asbestos mine.

There, problem solved, you're welcome.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Best to learn how to use Amazon delivery boxes as forms, ain’t no shortage of that crap.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
Theres always cinder blocks

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
Someone less lazy than I am did the math on how long incomes would take to catch up to TO housing prices if the prices stayed flat:

https://twitter.com/MikePMoffatt/status/1381977921838055425?s=20

https://twitter.com/MikePMoffatt/status/1381978747323232262?s=20

So yeah, if government policy is to protect homeowner equity above all else then the rest of us are straight up hosed.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Cold on a Cob posted:

Someone less lazy than I am did the math on how long incomes would take to catch up to TO housing prices if the prices stayed flat:

So yeah, if government policy is to protect homeowner equity above all else then the rest of us are straight up hosed.

Oh wow, just need to cut home prices by a modest 60%.

A guy I work with just accepted a job in Vancouver. He was totally shocked to find out how expensive housing is.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

MickeyFinn posted:

Oh wow, just need to cut home prices by a modest 60%.

A guy I work with just accepted a job in Vancouver. He was totally shocked to find out how expensive housing is.

Adam Vaughaun already said that ain't happening, so dump everything into REITs and buying real estate. :peanut:

Also how on earth does your colleague not already know Vancouver real estate is insane? Unlike Toronto it's not a new thing...

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Cold on a Cob posted:

Price to Income Ratio as a hard and fast rule shall forever be stupid. (Important note: discounting from posted rates didn't exist back then to quite the same degree it does now)

Being really lazy, 50k income * 4.5 and 50k * 10 (and then assuming 20% down):

Same income for both since wage increases more or less equal CPI.

So it's more expensive, sure, but not stark raving loony madness.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
It's not a hard and fast rule, but it's a good indicator along with others.

Now take your mortgages and see what happens when you bump the rates up equally by 5%. Rate increases are a lot more tolerable if you pay less up front with a higher interest rate. Low rates + high prices = more risk, especially with rates this low.

This would be much different if Canadians locked in longer than 5 years but generally we do not.

Edit to clarify - I meant if you buy in high and rates go up, then what happens in five years? Always a risk but the more principal you owe, the worse it's going to be for you. And I think if rates are at record lows, they only have two directions to go - flat or up.

Cold on a Cob fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 13, 2021

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
ah yes, let me just buy this mystical 400k toronto property

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

Cold on a Cob posted:

https://twitter.com/MikePMoffatt/status/1381977921838055425?s=20

https://twitter.com/MikePMoffatt/status/1381978747323232262?s=20

Love that wildly optimistic 5% year-over-year wage increase number.

That's a very roundabout way to say "it's different this time."

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

RBC posted:

ah yes, let me just buy this mystical 400k toronto property

Hey, original guy's ratios, not mine, maybe he used median household income. I just think "hmm, take away that 30% increase from the just last year and presto, lower payments than halcyon 2000.

(I dunno the housing mix in the GTA, but in Vancouver only around 20% of dwellings are SFHs so nevermind even median household income, all that matters for their prices is the 80th+ percentile incomes. Suburbs aren't *that* low but it's hard to track down all the numbers.)

And I've said before, I'll say again - rates are only going up significantly if wages and everything else in CPI does, in which case existing debt loads get inflated away just as fast. The 70s and 80s are the aberration central bankers have learned from, not the present which seems to be tracking Japan (but with population growth) better than anything else.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
Sassafras, you'd probably prefer the affordability index. It accounts for varying interest rates. It doesn't account for the declining size of homes or the risk of rates rising vs falling so it's still imperfect imo. I'd love to see a version of this for the Toronto and Vancouver areas as this is Canada-wide.

It was ~30% in 2000 and was up to ~34% in 2020 Q4. Looking forward to seeing what it is in 2021 Q1 because I assume it's going to be a lot higher, maybe up to 2007/2008 levels (39%). There's also the fact that disposable income was boosted temporarily by the government and that's going away.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Higher prices with stagnant income means more debt and more risk. Current house prices really do have very little to do with income and everything to do with the cost of capital, but the rising amounts of debt relative to income indicates an elevated level of risk, and at this point any small increase in interest rates or downturn in prices could easily push people and investors alike into bankruptcy. We were probably saved this time by massive stimulus by the federal government and rates being pinned on the floor by the BoC but I don't think you can rely on that forever. Ignoring household income relative to prices really is like saying "this time is different", spoiler alert, this time is never different.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

This paragraph from wikipedia is probably my favorite:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_economy#The_Financial_Crisis_of_33_A.D. posted:

The financial crisis of 33 A.D. is largely considered to be caused by policies that Tiberius took in order to limit the aristocrats' wealth and land-ownership, and done in response to Augustus's massive private and public expenditures. Augustus engaged in lavish spending in the public and private sector, while greatly encouraging land ownership and investment in real estate.[95][96] Augustus thought that all citizens should have access to land and money. As a result, he aggressively engaged in a massive extension of credit into the real estate and public sector, and engaged in riskier and riskier loans.[96] Due to his policies, land and real estate prices rose dramatically, benefitting his wealthy and noble land-owner friends who owned large amounts of property and invested heavily in real estate.[96] Tiberius noticed such collusion, and looked to curb the amount of land that the wealthy and elites owned, as well as control the rapidly inflating money supply. He engaged in heavy austerity policies such as ordering for all loans be paid off immediately, and began confiscating property from the wealthy land-owners.[96] By restricting loans for land purchasing, and the demand to pay loans in full, debtors were forced to sell off their property and real estate, which drastically dropped real estate and land prices.[95] Tiberius' credit restriction policies and the Senate's passing a resolution that people continue to invest in land despite the massive deflation caused the financial markets to collapse.[95][96] To stem the crisis Tiberius provided a huge amount of credit at zero interest which stemmed the tide of bankruptcies and steadied money lending.[97]

Wow, like, woah. Where have I heard this before?

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005
https://youtu.be/xfgC_yOm5sw

Another young Turks video ringing the alarm bell. As much as we complain in Vancouver because of our poo poo show, it's interesting that it's happening at scale elsewhere too. Can't be all Chinese money launders.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Adam Vaughan is so terminally online and prone to bad twitter fights that surely its only a matter of time before Trudeau cycles him out of cabinet right? right?

Everyone on all sides has been cyber bullying him all week.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Femtosecond posted:

Adam Vaughan is so terminally online and prone to bad twitter fights that surely its only a matter of time before Trudeau cycles him out of cabinet right? right?

He's not even a Minister, he's just a Parliamentary Secretary. While I'm not entirely sure what they're supposed to do, I'm guessing it's more along the lines of making their minister/ministry and government look good rather than spouting off all kinds of stupid indefensible poo poo and rambling incoherently.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Apr 14, 2021

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos
So with Steve Saretsky having gone all-in on the Vancouver real estate bull side last year in the face of currency debasement and easy money (wasn't wrong!), I've been amused by how his posts have attracted replies from other aspiring real estate agents who want to appeal to the ... valuable "buyers who refuse to buy until there's a massive crash" segment with the zeal of the famed Iraqi Information Minister:

https://twitter.com/bemcwilliam/status/1382460190163755008?s=19

Lol, wouldn't embed - deleted.
https://twitter.com/SteveSaretsky/status/1382450876351074304?s=19

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Apr 14, 2021

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

YET ANOTHER high profile ~ luxury ~ condo building switching over to being full purpose built rental.

https://twitter.com/vancouvermrkt/status/1382377923320049667?s=20

quote:

http://www.vancouvermarket.ca/2021/04/14/bosa-submits-revised-rental-plan-for-west-end-towers/

Bosa Properties has submitted new rezoning applications for two tower sites they own in the West End that had previously been envisioned for condos & social housing in 2017. With a slowdown in the condo market in 2018-2019, the projects were put on hold.

The former development proposals sought 191 condos and 59 social housing units spread between the two sites, or 75% market condos with 25% social housing; however, a City of Vancouver policy change in November 2020 allowed a switch to rental housing with below-market rental in place of social housing.

The proposal for the two site is two 34-storey residential towers and includes:

575 rental units (with 462 market rental units and 113 below-market rental units)

Feels like a wildly under reported fact for some reason the market for nice luxury condos has completely vaporized and developers have been forced to crawl back to the city begging for modifications to their rezonings to make the projects financially viable again. This means increased heights and making them purpose built rental.

Why on earth would the condo market suddenly disappear? Let's have a look at that city report that was hastily brought in to allow developers to fiddle with their rezonings to actually make the finances work again and see what city staff think.

quote:

Since 2017, local and provincial initiatives have sought to limit the escalation of housing prices
and rents, specifically the City’s Empty Homes Tax, the Province of BC’s Speculation and
Vacancy Tax, and Foreign Buyer’s Tax. These policy interventions, along with other
macro-economic influences, have contributed to a softening of Vancouver’s high-value strata
condominium housing market.

And yet all the supply siders on twitter that dragged the tax and the notion that foreign investment was a thing are still insisting that the foreign/spec taxes "did nothing" because oh look house prices have still gone up.

If we had listened to the foreign investment deniers and did nothing, we'd have a 191 unit luxury condo development, of which probably 10-20% of that number would have been never hit the local market due a combination of being empty pied a terres and airbnb.

Now instead we have 462 market rentals that will be rented to locals.

Seems like the foreign/spec taxes did a pretty good job of creating more supply to me.

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Apr 15, 2021

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I've grown a bit sour to Steve Saretsky recently. He still has good insight into Vancouver real estate, but is really really out of his depth when it comes to talking about monetary policy. He also seems like a huge BTC bug now which is another thing that rubs me the wrong way about him. Once again, realtors are not accredited investment advisers.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

qhat posted:

I've grown a bit sour to Steve Saretsky recently. He still has good insight into Vancouver real estate, but is really really out of his depth when it comes to talking about monetary policy. He also seems like a huge BTC bug now which is another thing that rubs me the wrong way about him. Once again, realtors are not accredited investment advisers.

There is rather a lot of Bitcoin triumphalism lately on twitter... I find them worse than every other "my investment did well, I'm a genius" because the nature of having bought into it in the first place is a series of beliefs that effectively make them MLM advocates.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

No real surprise that realtors have suddenly latched onto bitcoin with enthusiasm. The investment strategy is not dissimilar from real estate in general in that the product being bought creates nothing of value and the investment strategy relies on selling the investment product to a "greater fool" at some point down the road.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

"Douglas Todd: Canadian real-estate market better for foreign investors than locals, admits housing secretary posted:

Canadians can be grateful Ottawa’s parliamentary secretary for housing isn’t afraid of saying what’s on his mind in front of a microphone.

Liberal apparatchiks must be going squirrely after loquacious MP Adam Vaughan inadvertently outed what has been the party’s real scheme on housing for six years — pushing a policy that only worsens extreme unaffordability in cities like Toronto and Vancouver.

Vaughan, who is also the Liberal MP for Spadina–Fort York, acknowledged in a rare display of federal government candor that Canada has become “a very safe market for foreign investment.”

But, Vaughan added, it is “not a great market for Canadians looking for choices around housing.”

Without blinking, Vaughan went on to tell TV Ontario host Steve Paikin that attracting foreign capital is the key to building more housing supply in Canada.

“We have a very good system of foreign investment creating a lot of new housing in Canada as we add immigrants and grow the population,” said Vaughan, a former Toronto city councillor who is now parliamentary secretary for families, children, social development and housing.

Whatever is going on in Vaughn’s heart, the reality is the Liberals’ housing strategy is privileging foreign investors and directing billions to Canada’s politically powerful development lobby at the same time it’s drastically undermining local families who have been waiting for an opening into owning.

Ron Butler, a prominent Canadian mortgage provider and real-estate analyst, says a few housing-policy observers have been complaining about this unspoken Liberal policy for years. Developers and their allies have often shut them down by labelling them xenophobic.

“The influx of foreign money started small, then grew. At first the government denied it, calling anyone who pointed it out as racist. By the time it was ridiculously obvious, it was easier to turn it into a policy,” said Butler, who has been spoken highly of by Evan Siddall, who was until recently head of the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation.

Fuelled by the way Ottawa has been printing money, handing out pandemic benefits at a globally record rate and offering extremely low interest rates, house prices in Greater Toronto, Metro Vancouver and the Fraser Valley have gone up 20 to 25 per cent since COVID-19 hit a year ago.

Last fall, Vancouver ranked as the second most unaffordable city out of 100 major metropolises in the English-speaking world and beyond, according to Demographia. Toronto is fifth worst.

Given the parliamentary secretary’s talkative frame of mind during his extended interview, Vaughan did express concern for renters who want to get into what he called middle-class security through owning a home.
Article content

But it seemed Vaughan, and by extension the minister responsible for housing, Jean-Yves Duclos, and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau himself, are far more worried about not alienating those who already own homes.

Vaughan argued it would be terrible to bring in any policy that could cause current homeowners to see “ten per cent of the equity in their home suddenly disappear overnight.”

Host Paikin couldn’t hide his shock at Vaughan’s priorities, as he tried to explain people outside the market need to see drops of 20 to 30 per cent.

Real-estate analyst John Pasalis said Vaughan’s admission that Canada’s housing market better serves foreign investors than locals flows from Ottawa’s own inflationary policies, which are designed to push housing prices higher to drive the economy.

When Vaughan admitted that Canada’s housing market is “driven by speculation” and that “it gets very tricky to curb speculation,” Pasalis said the housing secretary was ignoring what other countries have already done.

“I really don’t know what to say when our federal government admits that it has made housing in Canada better for foreign investors than for Canadians. Who are they serving? Clearly not Canadians,” said Pasalis, who has also recently praised by Siddall.

To take just one regional example, the price of a typical house on Vancouver’s west side has soared by more than $300,000 since early last year, largely due to Ottawa’s policies. The average price is $3.3 million.

Realtor David Hutchinson said high-end homes “are completely out of reach of even some of the highest paid locals on the west side of Vancouver,” where SFU housing analyst Andy Yan has said the only ones who can afford to buy are families with access to offshore wealth.

“I currently have four sets of buyers — three of them are highly paid professional couples and one is a local business owner, all with very good incomes — and these prices are even out of reach for them. Two of these have given up looking at all,” Hutchinson said.

It’s hard to figure out whether money going into Vancouver housing is foreign-sourced or not, Hutchinson said, especially since a buyer who is not a citizen, but is simply in Canada on permanent resident status, is not subject to B.C.’s 20 per cent foreign-buyers tax. “And foreign investors can easily purchase through a permanent resident.”

It’s important to keep in mind SFU policy analyst Josh Gordon’s definition of foreign ownership, which is “housing purchased primarily with income or wealth earned abroad and not taxed as income in Canada.” Gordon’s recent peer-reviewed paper says lack of connection between soaring housing prices and tepid local wages in Metro Vancouver is caused in large part by hidden foreign ownership.

The B.C. NDP have attempted to deal with foreign ownership by bringing in a non-resident buyers tax and the vacancy and speculation tax, which targets so-called ‘satellite” families in which the breadwinner earns most of their money outside Canada. They’re better than nothing, even with this current pandemic run-up in prices.

But don’t expect anything at all from the federal Liberals. Trudeau, during a 2019 campaign stop in B.C., promised to bring in a one per cent tax on all property purchases by “non-resident, non-Canadian” buyers. But not a peep has been raised since then about Trudeau’s promise to “ensure foreign speculation doesn’t make housing less affordable for Canadians.”

For that matter, we’re not getting policy updates on a similar campaign promise by the NDP’s Jagmeet Singh, who also two years ago said he wants to impose a nationwide 15 per cent tax on foreign ownership.

Many North Americans these days applaud New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern for her leadership, including on housing. She banned foreign ownership in 2018. And, to reduce speculation, she has cut immigration and required new home buyers to have large down payments.

Ardern is a politician who has shown there are many things governments can do to rein in speculation in housing, particularly for young people. All it requires is the will.

Hubbert fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Apr 16, 2021

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Noblesse Obliged posted:

I would prefer if we could not, and instead repurpose the concrete for bubbly 3D printed eco housing over glass bottles

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Yeah.

I think a few things that often get forgotten are:

1) Foreign speculation on Canadian housing isn't just from China. Rich assholes from the USA and Europe have been doing this literally since Vancouver was founded. But the rich Chinese assholes are a visible minority, so they do attract actual racism, which then gives real estate agents the cover to call out anyone talking about foreign speculation as racist.

2) A bunch of rich assholes have basically bought citizenship through various immigration programs. They then buy a bunch of property, but don't bother to even live in Canada. They do not get counted in foreign ownership stats. They also don't get taxed by foreign ownership taxes, although they may fall afoul of vacancy taxes and the like.

3) As others have noted, foreign real estate speculation is mostly being done through foreign investment in REITs and their ilk now anyway.

4) We're only barely beginning to have laws requiring disclosure of beneficial ownership, so most of the degree of foreign ownership of Canadian real estate is still heavily obfuscated.

But good luck getting any of that nuance into the mainstream political discourse.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

For what it’s worth, you don’t even need citizenship, you can literally buy permanent residence in a very non-clandestine manner in Canada, and PRs also don’t show up on foreign buyers statistics.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

qhat posted:

For what it’s worth, you don’t even need citizenship, you can literally buy permanent residence in a very non-clandestine manner in Canada, and PRs also don’t show up on foreign buyers statistics.

They ended the "foreign inventor" PR pathway, but I think Quebec still maintains it.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Beelzebufo posted:

They ended the "foreign inventor" PR pathway, but I think Quebec still maintains it.

This is the major problem. Nine out of ten people who get PR through that route renege on their promise to live in quebec. Just give a $1.2million loan to quebec at 0% interest for five year and you get a PR card. Assuming an opportunity cost of 3% a year, that's a fee of around 190k to avoid the foreign buyer's tax entirely and forever. Frankly it's insane that one part of the country can set their own immigration policy which is completely at odds with everyone else.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

qhat posted:

This is the major problem. Nine out of ten people who get PR through that route renege on their promise to live in quebec. Just give a $1.2million loan to quebec at 0% interest for five year and you get a PR card. Assuming an opportunity cost of 3% a year, that's a fee of around 190k to avoid the foreign buyer's tax entirely and forever. Frankly it's insane that one part of the country can set their own immigration policy which is completely at odds with everyone else.

Especially when it's just an excuse to be racist for the most part, when it's not about maintaining an immigration pathway that the Federal government decided was too risky.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

qhat posted:

That's loving wild, I hadn't heard about that before - $190k is incredibly cheap

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Do a search for Quebec Investor Immigrant Program in open parliament and it basically never even comes up.

No one can touch the thing because everyone is scared of offending Quebec and accidentally re-igniting the sovereignty movement.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Yeah.

I think a few things that often get forgotten are:

1) Foreign speculation on Canadian housing isn't just from China. Rich assholes from the USA and Europe have been doing this literally since Vancouver was founded. But the rich Chinese assholes are a visible minority, so they do attract actual racism, which then gives real estate agents the cover to call out anyone talking about foreign speculation as racist.

2) A bunch of rich assholes have basically bought citizenship through various immigration programs. They then buy a bunch of property, but don't bother to even live in Canada. They do not get counted in foreign ownership stats. They also don't get taxed by foreign ownership taxes, although they may fall afoul of vacancy taxes and the like.

3) As others have noted, foreign real estate speculation is mostly being done through foreign investment in REITs and their ilk now anyway.

4) We're only barely beginning to have laws requiring disclosure of beneficial ownership, so most of the degree of foreign ownership of Canadian real estate is still heavily obfuscated.

But good luck getting any of that nuance into the mainstream political discourse.

Personally, I'm more worried about the fact that the Liberal party is now explicit about their desire to acquire foreign investment over the needs of its voting population.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Hubbert posted:

Personally, I'm more worried about the fact that the Liberal party is now explicit about their desire to acquire foreign investment over the needs of its voting population.

The one thing the CONS could get traction on Trudeau and they ignore it. Tells you all you need to know that any one we would elect will all have the same priority

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Canadians are too invested in housing to vote for a party like the NDP, and the people who aren't do not form the majority. It would literally be signing their own destitution warrant to vote for a party willing to kick rich foreign investors in the nutsack.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Hubbert posted:

Yeah it's basically taking a page from the BC Liberals playbook, which was a big part of what landed us in this mess in the first place.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Our favorite illegal hotel owner trying to pull a Costanza and move back into the forced sale condo.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7764277/north-vancouver-hostel-owner-returns/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/vancouver-house-flooding-damage

Lmfao. I see this building from Alder every day. This is looking like tens of millions worth in damages. Who would've thought the most expensive new condo builds in BC are also by far the shoddiest.