Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Panzeh posted:

I don't really get the complaint about archers- they're RTS units, you kinda need to be able to see where they're shooting and what they are- comically big weapons are a good way of making a unit identifiable.

I think there archer complaint was mainly about how their firing animations sucked unusually bad and the arrows acted like guided missiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

There isn't a lot of real gameplay to be had yet in the AoE IV video, so it's hard to say much that has any basis yet. Well, beyond the art style, which I find oddly bland and lacking. Some of the buildings look neat, but I genuinely think that AoE2 DE's sprites look better than the full-fledged 3d game we've seen so far. Not wild about the idea of just four civs, AoE has traditionally had a lot more, but if every civ is completely distinct with unique mechanics for everything, I could grudgingly accept it.

Statutory Ape posted:

Now, if only somebody would give HOMM3 that treatment...

Please, I don't think I could take that. Remember how bad the HOMM3 re-release was?

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

aniviron posted:

There isn't a lot of real gameplay to be had yet in the AoE IV video, so it's hard to say much that has any basis yet. Well, beyond the art style, which I find oddly bland and lacking. Some of the buildings look neat, but I genuinely think that AoE2 DE's sprites look better than the full-fledged 3d game we've seen so far. Not wild about the idea of just four civs, AoE has traditionally had a lot more, but if every civ is completely distinct with unique mechanics for everything, I could grudgingly accept it.

Please, I don't think I could take that. Remember how bad the HOMM3 re-release was?

I don't really think they're making an Age of Empires game with just India, Mongolia, China, and England in it.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It would be a hilarious troll move to barely include any western civs at the beginning though.

aniviron posted:

Well, beyond the art style, which I find oddly bland and lacking. Some of the buildings look neat, but I genuinely think that AoE2 DE's sprites look better than the full-fledged 3d game we've seen so far.
It looks a bit floaty to me? Maybe it lacks weight or impact.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Hey as long as it plays like an RTS I'll get it

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Azran posted:

it didn't help that its singleplayer campaign was very sympathetic towards the nazis while playing as the Soviets in MP meant having to deal with all the lovely Soviet stereotypes taken straight out of a nazi memoir. Like a game taking place in 1944 shouldn't have raw recruits be the mainstay of the Soviet Army wtf

okay yeah that last part is true but the soviet army was much more brutal than the in game depiction lol

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

Hey as long as it plays like an RTS I'll get it
Yeah when you're the one busy playing it's hard to notice the graphics like that unless they are particularly bad. It probably looks different in full screen too.

It is a bit exciting to finally see a new AoE game. :toot:

Poil fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 12, 2021

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

aniviron posted:

Not wild about the idea of just four civs, AoE has traditionally had a lot more, but if every civ is completely distinct with unique mechanics for everything, I could grudgingly accept it.

They're launching with 8 civs.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Ratios and Tendency posted:

That's not a lot of civs...

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

That's not terrible for asymmetrical factions in a RTS, total warhammer launched both games with 4 asymmetrical factions and those 4 were pretty barebones on release until they got even more polished and asymmetrical by the end.

And age of mythology was 3, with 3 small variations on each for 9.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Apr 13, 2021

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Ash Crimson posted:

As we've seen with the nomadic Mongol camps the civs are a lot more distinct than AoE2.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Seeing them mention flow-field is interesting. I don't think I've ever seen an RTS using flow-field that has formations?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Ash Crimson posted:

That's a fuckton if they're not carbon copies

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India
Yeah AoE2 has 30+ civs now, but had 13 on release. Not to mention stuff like unique techs and a bunch of units that we have now did not exist in the base game.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
There's less time between the release of AoE 2 and the last Relic RTS which wasn't garbage(DoW 2) than there is between DoW 2 and the (expected) release date of AoE 4.

I completely crashed out of the AoE 2 scene in 2018 when the e sports prominent that I was distantly acquainted with turned out to be a giant piece of poo poo off-camera who doxxed my family in retaliation for me criticizing a very dumb monetization decision and the new game basically being Empires Apart but with some official branding slapped on by what for all intents and purposes is a third party that hasn't produced a non-terrible game in over a decade does absolutely nothing to invite me back to the series.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Why is Arabia the "standard" map? I'm not advanced enough to get all of the meta considerations but I figured there'd be a bit wider pool apart from other game types.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

The Shortest Path posted:

Why is Arabia the "standard" map? I'm not advanced enough to get all of the meta considerations but I figured there'd be a bit wider pool apart from other game types.

It's aggressive, no gimmicks, no water and came first in the map list.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The map pool is more diverse than it's ever been. Hell, sometimes you actually see maps that aren't arabia!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

New event out, 20 day timer

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

The last 4 AoE4 civs leaked:

England
China
Mongols
Delhi Sultanate
Abbasid Dynasty
French
HRE
Rus

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

The last 4 AoE4 civs leaked:

England
China
Mongols
Delhi Sultanate
Abbasid Dynasty
French
HRE
Rus

No tines??????????

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

TBH I'm kind of torn on the amount of civs I want out of AoE4. I'm also big into Starcraft so the thought of having a few civs that play/look significantly different is pretty appealing to me, but I totally understand how that's kind of at odds with the current matchmaking 'scene' where picking random is a pretty popular choice at higher ELO. Also, part of what makes AoE2 tournaments interesting is the meta strategy of picking certain civs for certain maps, especially when there's a draft/ban beforehand. Something like that wouldn't really be possible if the civs were different enough that it became the norm for someone to choose one to be their main.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

The SC2 map making scene is heavily stifled because of the asynchronous factions. It's just what happens when you have factions different enough that players specialize into one and each benefits more or less than others from certain map features.

AoE2 competitive is pretty heavily defined by how different maps favor different civs and picking appropriate civs for the map. If the civs in 4 are different enough to warrant specialization that basically kills that idea. If they manage to thread that needle then fine, but if they don't then I think distinct civs are a mistake.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

Phigs posted:

The SC2 map making scene is heavily stifled because of the asynchronous factions. It's just what happens when you have factions different enough that players specialize into one and each benefits more or less than others from certain map features.

AoE2 competitive is pretty heavily defined by how different maps favor different civs and picking appropriate civs for the map. If the civs in 4 are different enough to warrant specialization that basically kills that idea. If they manage to thread that needle then fine, but if they don't then I think distinct civs are a mistake.

The SC2 map thing is something that's always been weird to me in comparison to Brood War which does have a lot more map variety. The maps in SC2 seem to try to limit race advantages as much as possible, yeah, but the BW map makers seem to be more willing to do wackier stuff (even in the current ladder/pro scene). I don't play a ton of BW so I can't really comment on why that is myself, but I've seen people say that it's because map design is a big part of balancing match ups since the game isn't being patched with buffs/nerfs to specific units. The big issue that I could see with something like that in a modern RTS, though, is that it's just not fun for the average ranked player. In tournaments where you're doing best of series it's not the end of the world if one of the maps you play on is lovely for your main faction, but getting hosed over in a ladder game because you rolled into a map that puts you at a disadvantage obviously wouldn't feel great.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

There's so much about SC2 that I like but the maps aren't one of them. Not even just gameplay wise, aesthetically they all look and feel samey

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

i vomit kittens posted:

The SC2 map thing is something that's always been weird to me in comparison to Brood War which does have a lot more map variety. The maps in SC2 seem to try to limit race advantages as much as possible, yeah, but the BW map makers seem to be more willing to do wackier stuff (even in the current ladder/pro scene). I don't play a ton of BW so I can't really comment on why that is myself, but I've seen people say that it's because map design is a big part of balancing match ups since the game isn't being patched with buffs/nerfs to specific units. The big issue that I could see with something like that in a modern RTS, though, is that it's just not fun for the average ranked player. In tournaments where you're doing best of series it's not the end of the world if one of the maps you play on is lovely for your main faction, but getting hosed over in a ladder game because you rolled into a map that puts you at a disadvantage obviously wouldn't feel great.

Brood War map makers kinda got their baseline rules down to a science.

Every main has a choke otherwise Zerg would auto win with zerglings. Every natural needs to be sorta close and defensible for zerg to survive the first push. Walls behind mineral lines have to be just the right width and distance to prevent muta harass from being too strong. Even then the smallest decisions like making the middle of the map buildable can impact win rates by 5-10%.

The map makers have found a lot of ways to innovate given all the restrictions because the game had been studied thoroughly.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I just remember early SC2 maps would have lovely things like unreachable cliffs outside of main bases that people could drop siege tanks and anti air turrets on top of, once they realized that was dumb they just made every map pretty much the same copy/paste with minor variations.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I thought AoE3 did a pretty good job with faction differentiation. There's differences, but there's a family of somewhat similar European factions(though they're still all a bit more different than aoe2 factions), and then there's factions that are more one-off, like Lakota, China, or Incas.

I think the idea in 4 is to do something like that- France, England, HRE being relatively similar with out there factions like the Mongols.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

I think it probably makes more sense to stick to the AoE2 style of civ differentiation. Maybe making the civ bonuses/UUs/UBs a little more creative, which they've done a little bit with Eagles/Battle Elephants/Steppe Lancers/Camels and then Feitoria/Krepost/Donjon/Malay Harbors.

If they wanted to go hard into the asymmetrical civs, please for the love of god just make Age of Mythology 2. Give me a Meso America, Celts, Persians, Indians and a well thought out Chinese civ if you want more civs.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Borsche69 posted:

If they wanted to go hard into the asymmetrical civs, please for the love of god just make Age of Mythology 2. Give me a Meso America, Celts, Persians, Indians and a well thought out Chinese civ if you want more civs.

The popularity of total warhammer should show there is a market for random mythological references crammed together in a RTS.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

What happened with t90 and covid anyone know? I stopped watching for a few months and just started watching some vid and he mentioned getting grief over it

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Milo and POTUS posted:

What happened with t90 and covid anyone know? I stopped watching for a few months and just started watching some vid and he mentioned getting grief over it

He tested positive for Covid about a week ago and posted it in twitter, afaik some idiots have given him poo poo for bring it to himself or some other nonsense. Dunno if it's that what you're actually refering to.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

The popularity of total warhammer should show there is a market for random mythological references crammed together in a RTS.
I mean I think there was always a market for Age Of Mythology 2 regardless of Warhammer doing well

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
I still think Age of Mythology might be my favorite RTS to date, it's not greatly balanced but damned if it doesn't just ooze charm and care. Also just generically fun to play, getting to like Lightning Storm as Zeus in an AI match is just pure satisfaction.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
More news for the new xpac

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1557210/Age_of_Empires_II_Definitive_Edition__Dawn_of_the_Dukes/

2 new civs-

Bohemians, have hussite wagon and a bombard cannon upgrade

Poles, have an anti-armor infantry uu and maybe a winged hussar upgrade?

also seen are some neat looking barded mounted teutonic knights, probably campaign only though

3 campaigns, poles, bohemians and lithuanians

also pre-order AoE4 and get xpac for free

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Oh nice. That looks very interesting.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Mazerunner posted:

More news for the new xpac

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1557210/Age_of_Empires_II_Definitive_Edition__Dawn_of_the_Dukes/

2 new civs-

Bohemians, have hussite wagon and a bombard cannon upgrade

Poles, have an anti-armor infantry uu and maybe a winged hussar upgrade?

also seen are some neat looking barded mounted teutonic knights, probably campaign only though

3 campaigns, poles, bohemians and lithuanians

also pre-order AoE4 and get xpac for free

Interesting

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
The French and the Abassids have been confirmed for Age of Empires 4, which means there's only two civs left to be announced. I could either of them being Japanese, Vikings or Aztecs.

Also gently caress yeah, Hussite wagons. I imagine coop campaigns will release alongside that DLC, can't wait!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

The wagons seem really interesting. I assume they'll be siege for repair purposes. I honestly think they'll be kinda imbalanced lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Azran posted:

The French and the Abassids have been confirmed for Age of Empires 4, which means there's only two civs left to be announced. I could either of them being Japanese, Vikings or Aztecs.

Also gently caress yeah, Hussite wagons. I imagine coop campaigns will release alongside that DLC, can't wait!

They revealed the last two today and they’re the Holy Roman Empire and the Rus.