Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

From what I've seen of Ryan Nemeth he should never be on offense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Artelier posted:

Wait where's PPA? Is he not affiliated with them anymore?

WHERE IS MY MIND

Injury is keeping him at home.

Jay Lyon's mask is amazing for the tongue.

Also, Kiss being the sensible one to Janela's wackiness is great

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gumball Gumption posted:

Exactly. So they play the best friends theme at the start and when they then win and the whole stable celebrates, bam, where is my mind.

This has been the most successful and important to the world negotiation/agreement since the Yalta Conference.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Pump-handle suplex! you don't see that too often

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

explosivo posted:

goddamn I love having wrestling to watch m-w lol

it rules man, elevation is way more fun than i figured it would be, i love it

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Heck yes Best Friends :woop:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

god its been so long since someone ate a Strong Zero

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Kris and OC in the back in a "Who opens the ropes" battle!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Four Way Hug :hellyeah:

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Best Friends are my favorite stable.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

ALL FOUR CORNERS HUG???

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

big four corners hug

GOT to give the people what they WANT

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Best Friends: Greatest Stable.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

God that was a good show, Elevation rules.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
That was a fine two and a half hours of wrestling. See y'all tomorrow for even more

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

This week felt like commentary's coming together more strongly and as a result I feel Elevation's finding it's place as "Long showcase matches (with probably obvious outcomes)" in AEW

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
It's kind of weird how well Statlander just naturally fits right in with Best Friends + OC, but it just works.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Artelier posted:

This week felt like commentary's coming together more strongly and as a result I feel Elevation's finding it's place as "Long showcase matches (with probably obvious outcomes)" in AEW

someone needs to put a lil sign that says "tempo" in front of Paul at the desk

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

God that was a good show, Elevation rules.

its nice to have fun american wrestling on monday nights again

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Q_res posted:

It's kind of weird how well Statlander just naturally fits right in with Best Friends + OC, but it just works.

if you want to spend some more time today on wrestling on youtube, OC and Kris have a bunch of history on the indies including some real good matches

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Artelier posted:

ex and taz work so well on dark being goofy and having fun and it makes dark enjoyable, but elevation really does slot into that space of this isn't the main event but you are seeing stars go out and do their thing

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i was thinking that putting nakazawa on elevation seemed like an odd choice but after that kenny segment i understand entirely

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I don't speak a fuckin word of Spanish, but this thunder rosa promo is fuckin FIRE.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Oh my God the Joey/Sonny promo

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Vince MechMahon posted:

Oh my God the Joey/Sonny promo

The immediate shift from 1 minute to 10 seconds was so great.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
What was Hirsch saying to Shanna? And was it "Be a better person"? Because someone should say that

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

I'd never seen Takeshita before tonight and now I have and I'd like to see more of him please.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Artelier posted:

First time watcher here.

Elevation kinda reminds me of the older WWF Prime Time Wrestling shows when I had the Network (and when it was Heenan and Monsoon, not Vince's weird attempt at a talk show parody.) A wrestling-heavy show with a bunch of undercard matches that sometimes tie into storylines but just as often give time/exposure to lower card guys.

Like I wasn't always paying rapt attention but it had a nice chill vibe. And I like Wight on commentary, I think he sounds pretty solid.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I am shocked, disgusted, and offended by the slanderous way that Justin Roberts pronounces Minnesota.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

CombineThresher posted:

I'd never seen Takeshita before tonight and now I have and I'd like to see more of him please.

Same. Ridiculous German.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I was planning on just watching for Takeshita but wound up keeping it open in a tab and watching a match at a time all evening. Diamante/Rosa was especially a standout for me, and I would love to see Hirsch getting some Dynamite time.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Takeshita and Danny Limelight are both incredible wrestlers, I love Danny Limelight's counter wrestling type stuff and all the weird little ways he can slip into a hold or move, and Takeshita's got a ton of fun work around the ropes, plus some genuinely incredible power moves. please i would like to see both of these men wrestle more.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah both Takeshita and Limelight looked pretty good.

Lethrom
Jul 12, 2010

rotinaj posted:

What was Hirsch saying to Shanna? And was it "Be a better person"? Because someone should say that

I'm glad I wasn't the only person who noticed that. I definitely was projecting my "I want someone to tell the bigot to gently caress off" onto that interaction but it seemed a bit more pointed then just regular smacktalk

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

MorningMoon posted:

jesus even teh wrist thing broke off, those things suck to take off without scissors

life hack: pull the loose tab on the inside of your wrist up and it'll shred right off

(the sticky band not the button band)

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Elevated Darkthoughts

Ooh, we have a crowd, to some degree.

1) Zack Clayton vs 10. Zack Clayton does a good job of having a lot of ego for someone who could be lost in a crowd of one person. Audience popped for 10 pretty big. 10 has improved a lot over the last year and become a very serviceable midcard superman. They give Clayton a lot here. -1 interference is fun. Honestly this match while it started out a little clumsy is getting pretty good. Clayton plays a good bully, and 10 had to do a lot to get past him. Nice match.

2) Hayden Backlund vs Miro. Hayden Backlund has the face of a much larger man. Speaking of a much larger man, Miro is just built to a different frame from other humans. AEW has bigger guys and taller guys but they might not have anyone else as put together as Miro. Respect to Backlund for playing desperation offense well. And I enjoyed that Miro felt insulted by this match. Time to prepare for the Miro rocket boost.

3) Tay Conti and Hikaru Shida vs Katalina Perez and Leila Grey. Let's not push the "negative one has a crush" thing, Tall Paul. Leila Grey has something. She needs to develop but she's very watchable. And speaking of watchable, Tay just ragdolling opponents and then loving starching them is awesome to watch. As is a Shida dropkick. And as especially is that discus knee from Shida, that's a murder move. Nicely done short tag.

Love how cheerful Tay is with the "hahaha yeah we have fun (I'm going to knock you the gently caress out and take your title btw) love you!"

4) TH2 vs Carlie Bravo and Dean Alexander. Nice way to link the storytelling back to the Factory angle, guys. If QT's faction is the Factory, does that make him Tony Wilson? Angelico doing some delightful fun loving grapplefuck. Evans is such a superb little gremlin. He will gently caress you up and talk the whole time and the talking will hurt worse. Some smart tagging from Bravo and Alexander. Some dumb showboating from Alexander, which sells him being new in a nice way, and then Angelico collects another knee.

Dasha interviewing Thunder Rosa. Love this promo, love the code switching from English to Spanish.

5) Orange Cassidy vs John Skyler. Nice early arrogance from Skyler. Like him showing character. This is fun, and Skyler does the frustrated tough guy well. Skyler is the gamest cock in there. Short but sweet, like a nice glass of orange juice.

Focus on Shawn Dean. Very good working stiff story. They do such a good job with these packages.

6) Konosuke Takeshita vs Danny Limelight. New gear for the Papi, ooh and Excaliba on commentary. Aah, and I love the Takeshita music. (I get the feeling that Excalibur is here to stop people loving up Takeshita's name). Some nice athletic and sneaky spots towards the start. Limelight looks like he's having the time of his life in there. Love that Takeshita flying clothesline. drat, there's some chops here that can be felt in the bones. Love Limelight mocking him, but I feel like that's going to backfire. This is a super enjoyable back and forth match. This elbow strike exchange is just loving gorgeous. Oh my god, that DDT. Holy christ above. And that DEADLIFT WHEELBARROW GERMAN SUPLEX. God drat, this was excellent from both guys.

Joey and Sonny with a promo I can only describe as having happened. Joey's nipples are now part of storyline history.

7) FTR versus Jay Lion and Midas Black. Awesome, the touring company of The Wiz gets a match. And get murdered fairly quickly and appropriately.

8) Rey Fenix and PAC vs Andre Montoya and Vary Morales. Expecting a fun lucha execution here. PAC is so loving great. Montoya is very very good. Fast and violent and unafraid even against Fenix. Morales does a good job too, but steps into the jaws of the meat grinder. This is in no way an even matchup, as Rey and Pac are dominating, but Morales and Montoya are doing a good job of getting killed, and on occasion fighting out so they can be dragged back. This was good.

9) Dante Martin vs Baron Black. I'm glad they're letting Dante get some ring time in while his brother heals up. Baron's white ring gear looks better than his black. But again: let this guy wrestle in just longbois. Fast, dynamic back and forth to start. Black is putting on a good strong showing here. He's bigger than Martin and he's wrestling bigger than him, lots of nice power stuff, wish Martin only getting the advantage when he breaks away and takes to the air. Tells a nice kinetic story. Hard fought win for Dante, who is about as pure a babyface as I ever did see.

Ethan Page and Scorpio Sky talk poo poo on Sonny and Joey. This is pretty good, they are getting better at having resentful douche energy.

10) Britt Baker vs Sky Blue. Standing observation that it was absurd to ever book this woman as a face. Sky Blue has a lot of moxie and is just about to die horribly. Some nice valiant babyface stuff from Sky who looks pretty good, but Britt is in no mood to indulge a rookie here.

11) Nick Comoroto and QT Marshall vs Andrew Palace and Cole Karter. Nick Comoroto is about to rip two scrubs in half and splatter the ring with gore. Some very decent bullying here. Comoroto is of course just a wild mess of power, but QT is getting really good as a resentful skilled bully. Comoroto wants to beat his opponents up, but QT wants to hurt them, which is a nice dynamic. The "look at me" spot before the Diamond Cutter was great. I hope he gets to hit that on Cody at some point. poo poo, I hope he gets to hit that on Diamond Dallas Page at some point.

12) Michael Nakazawa vs Mike Sydal. Nakazawa does this gimmick so well. Mike Sydal is coming into his own. He's got this sort of quiet dirtbag charisma. Obviously this is a pretty straightforward comedy match, but they're pretty good and have decent charisma together. Loved the Sydal sideways flip to avoid Nakazawa, very unorthodox and looked great. Toney, the "his apple and his apple" joke doesn't work when the laptop is obviously a Dell. Splits to avoid the laptop spot was good. Ooh, Nak kind of bleeding from the mouth.

PAC and Rey Fenix promo where they promise to murder the Young Bucks and I will hold them to that.

13) Leyla Hirsch versus some racist. Hirsch has so much swagger it's unreal. She's dominating the early going of this, to the point where Shanna looks a bit staggered. Credit to Shanna, she sees that the crowd is behind Leyla and has started working heel rather than just living heel. Good submission spots here, with Hirsch wearing her opponent down until she can trap the arm and finish things. Finish looked ugly, but god did Leyla look like a monster here.

Takeshita gets interviewed and Kenny come in. Love Nak as translator. Kenny "Speaks Japanese" by having Nak translate. Love the setup of Nakazawa and Takeshita vs the Sydals.

Sound mix on this episode is super uneven.

14) Brandon Cutler vs Penta El Zero M. Tall Paul plays D&D, love it. Get him on Critical Botch! Ooh, love how fresh Penta's gear is today. I like Cutler not being intimidated by Penta. Penta has such superb swagger and is so dangerous. Cutler sells for him superbly, gets some nice dynamic offense when he gets an opening, and is otherwise here to do what he does best: make opponents look fantastic. Jesus, Cutler is bleeding like hell. Execution of an arm breaker, and a package piledriver that puts Cutler out of his misery. Very nicely done.

15) Diamante vs Thunder Rosa. This could be good. Nice hard hitting stuff. Rosa recognised that what Diamante does well is grappling and hitting, and she's letting her do all of those to good effect. Bruising Shibata style corner dropkick from Rosa. They're selling Diamante's arm being messed up well. LOVED the struggling out of the arm breaker. And Diamante really hosed Rosa up with that desperation lariat. This is a very enjoyable fight, and the Fire Thunder Driver is one of the best finishers in the women's division.

16) ScorpEgo vs Bad Romance. A tag team attraction, you say. I'm higher on Page and Sky than most people, I think. I like arrogant athletic heels, and Sky is starting to find his charisma as a douchebag. Some nice arrogant ringwork from Sky, and I love Page as a smiling smug heel, especially where he starts getting his comeuppance. Joey is selling like he got beat so hard he's lost all reason, which I like. I enjoy the prospect of Janela being the face in peril and Sonny being the hot tag. Match lags a bit towards the end, they either needed to keep up the energy more or needed to go for the pin quicker, but overall I liked this match.

17) Hollywood Honk and Cezar Bononi vs Best Friends. I'm so happy to see Trent back. Farm Anderson at ringside. Comedy faces doing well against comedy heels. The Honk is a perfectly respectable lower card guy and very good as a person for fans to make fun of. Bononi has improved since starting with AEW, and could ultimately be very good, we'll have to see. Okay, that corner DDT from Trent was just absurd. It's clear that Chuckie and Trent are just so happy to be having this match and teaming again. Another win for the good guys. Really enjoyed this.

There was a flawless 90 minute show in this 150 minute show. Lots to enjoy, but two and a half hours felt just a mite long.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Important context on Take's finisher:

https://twitter.com/ddtpro_eng/status/1380934132461539328

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

God, I love him so much.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I wonder why they switched up Joey and Sonny's opponents. It was either so good they wanted it on Dynamite, so bad they didn't want it at all, somebody tested positive and couldn't compete, they wanted to trick @luchablog into watching Elevation, or some other reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Maybe it was just me but I thought the sound mixing on the show was pretty good this week. Even the entrance music sounds clear, which isn't usually the case.