Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

My theory about Gaius' red Ascian mask is that Lahabrea left his behind when we forced him out of Thancred's body and Gaius dug it out of the ruins of the Praetorium. He's just stealing Ascian killing valor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Cleretic posted:

Also, even if the Nier raids aren't set post-Automata (which I find very doubtful), remember what characters we're dealing with. 9S is very pointedly curious about the nature of things and people (well, unless he's going loving insane), and 2B is very pointedly NOT curious about anything beyond her objective. 9S would be inquisitive enough to understand we mean him no harm (or mad enough to just keep fighting his enemy regardless), and 2B wouldn't care beyond us fighting the white YoRHa.

And 2P is a bad photocopy who doesn't really understand the concepts she's being given anyway, so she doesn't know what questions she's supposed to be asking.

These are NieR Automata spoilers and are not 5.5 NieR raid spoilers.

It's hard to say it's set post-Automata purely because Yoko Taro doesn't really do what you'd call a logical timeline and he writes things to be the best setting for the story he wants to tell and doesn't let previous stories really limit that, and rather, he accepts those contradictions into the world itself. For example, Dad and Brother NieR from NieR 1 are both canon within Automata despite the fact that they contradict each others existence. The bunker being kaput could easily be as much "time hole, everything fell through!" as post C route.

Case in point of logical timelines: Drakengard 3 is a prequel to Drakengard 1, and therefore NieR/Automata which does not actually contain a link to Drakengard 1. They're tied together in a supplementary novel via a different/new ending.

2B is very pointedly curious about the world/humans/machines etc, but she's very aware of the consequences of stepping out of line with YoRHa because she's one of the executioner robots that that YoRHa send after rule breakers. These aren't even a secret within the Automata story or YoRHa. One of the robots that dies in the opening scene is one. "Emotions are prohibited" isn't a rule YoRHa keeps to or enforces, it's a personal mantra for her because she doesn't want to be reset and to lose herself and her emotions. There's a difference in the english and japanese deliveries of her, and other, characters in Automata which changes a lot of nuance and intent with the character. She's a lot more of a hard-rear end in English than Japanese, she breaks her front more often in Japanese and gives off that she's not the hard rear end military bot she fronts as more often. See also: Getting flowers for 6O,

Lastly, A2's purpose in the story is that she's literally what 2B would be 2B gave in and abandoned her duty to the other extreme and let her emotions rule. She's the same personality on the different end.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Apr 13, 2021

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

WrightOfWay posted:

My theory about Gaius' red Ascian mask is that Lahabrea left his behind when we forced him out of Thancred's body and Gaius dug it out of the ruins of the Praetorium. He's just stealing Ascian killing valor.

We actually know who Gaius took down among the red masked, and it indicates all he can actually do is kill their bodies, forcing them into a new host. Each red mask resembles the constellation ruling a particular seat on the Council, and the mask in front is a mask resembling a lion. Leo is the ruling constellation of Fandaniel's seat. The mask behind the Leo mask appears to be a woman's face, which indicates Virgo, the star sign ruling Altima's seat. The interesting bit about this is that, at the last gathering of all the members we've seen on camera, Altima points out that the Unsundered were being a bit thick if they thought that their job was going to get easier and actually pays a surprising amount of respect to the regular folks.

In the event that the sundered Ascians are going to start following new agendas, we MIGHT actually get at least a couple who realize that the Warrior of Light is not only the lost member of the Council, but also just might have a shot at making things better, if not the same as they once were.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
MASSIVE 5.5 DATAMINE SPOILER - YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Gearhead posted:

We actually know who Gaius took down among the red masked, and it indicates all he can actually do is kill their bodies, forcing them into a new host.

It makes sense, after all. We know how to kill Ascians because several academics specifically focused on this field of study worked it out. Meanwhile all Gaius really had to go off is 'the eight guys I argued at on an elevator dogpiled Lahabrea, and I haven't seen Lahabrea since'.

Gaius literally has no idea what he's doing. Granted, killing a couple Ascian bodies probably didn't hurt.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Given that Gaius was doing that for a few years he probably never ran into the same Ascian twice. The souls would have to reincarnate and grow up, right? So Iwannabetheguyiel would be 4 years old right now (and would also probably never be awakened as of Shadowbringers).

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

No, the soul doesn't reincarnate like a regular death unless it gets the auracyte+blasting treatment. It just becomes a disembodied spirit until it finds a new body to possess.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Cleretic posted:

A final side point: The Rift and The Void are different things. We must never confuse the two.

I'm new to the whole FF cosmology thing, could someone elaborate a little on this? I figured the void was the space between dimensions, not outer space, and not the 13th. Is the 13th the Void? Is the Rift just other or in-between dimensions that aren't dark aspected?

I get that dragons are aliens, that makes sense.

Dedekind
Sep 6, 2003

The blasphemer, uncontrite, must be punished mightily.

Nessus posted:

Given that Gaius was doing that for a few years he probably never ran into the same Ascian twice. The souls would have to reincarnate and grow up, right? So Iwannabetheguyiel would be 4 years old right now (and would also probably never be awakened as of Shadowbringers).

I’m pretty sure they can choose the Sundered fragment from any of the shards, so no, odds are no waiting required.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

FunkyFjord posted:

I'm new to the whole FF cosmology thing, could someone elaborate a little on this? I figured the void was the space between dimensions, not outer space, and not the 13th. Is the 13th the Void? Is the Rift just other or in-between dimensions that aren't dark aspected?

I get that dragons are aliens, that makes sense.

The confusion actually goes back to Final Fantasy V, where The Void (a secret power over nothingness) was sealed in the Interdimensional Rift (the rift between dimensions); they actually split a dimension in two to make this happen, thus creating the world(s) of FFV.

In FFXIV, the Interdimensional Rift continues to be the rift between dimensions, and is where both Omega apparently delves into, and where Gilgamesh got here from. The Void in FFXIV is typically used to refer to the Thirteenth, AKA the World of Darkness; hence, 'voidsent'.

There is no clear aetheric aspecting or lack thereof to the Rift, the Rift just sort of... is.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

5.55 datamine, NieR drops:

Aiming is Jackass' outfit, Devola/Popola is Healing/.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Thanks that mostly clears things up, it's been absolutely forever since I've thought about FFV.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I thought the explanation on the cosmology having other planets invading is that only this one planet got sundered and the Source remained in the main material plane, so dragons and robots from space can land on it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

5.55 crafted weapon glamours:
The crafted Byakko weapons have sick glow. Like ink swirling around

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

SirSamVimes posted:

I thought the explanation on the cosmology having other planets invading is that only this one planet got sundered and the Source remained in the main material plane, so dragons and robots from space can land on it.

The actuality of it is that FFXIV hasn't really drawn a clear distinction between the idea of space and the rift between dimensions. This doesn't mean they're synonymous or different, just that the game has yet to be entirely clear on how this all is. Omega traveled through the rift, but it's portrayed as this extradimensional place they have control over the reality of but we also see its journey to Hydaelyn and it's through something that looks like space. We cross the interdimensional rift to reach the First, but whether this is like moving through another dimension to reach another place, whether it's like attuning to a different existential frequency, or whether it's physical travel from one location to another with all the worlds physically existing in the same "place" at different locations has never been concretely nailed down.

But that kind of granular detail hasn't been relevant to anything about the story, so it may never be fully explained. What matters is Midgardsormr and Omega came here from elsewhere and that the trip was long, and that the world has been sundered into these shards which cannot be reached through normal methods.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Gaius is so loving cool. One of my favorite cutscenes this expac cycle and thats saying a lot.

Definitely I'd put this at the top of trial series stories at least narrative-wise, but the cutscene team has really been knocking it out of the park visually lately.

Post Diamond Weapon completion spoiler:

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Apr 13, 2021

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Sharkopath posted:

Gaius is so loving cool. One of my favorite cutscenes this expac cycle and thats saying a lot.

I really was not on board with the Gaius redemption arc, but the weapon story conclusion here was really good. (edit: nvm, there was more cutscenes left than I thought)

Evrart Claire fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Apr 13, 2021

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Zerilan posted:

I really was not on board with the Gaius redemption arc, but the weapon story conclusion here was really good. I'm hoping we get a 5.55 follow-up that doesn't leave Allie in her current state though.

I have a feeling some people are going to be very very unhappy with (the very start of the quest to unlock diamond weapon spoiler) Gaius being made head of the werlyt resistance on account of his good nature and leadership experience, but it makes sense to me.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Pleasantly surprised they didn't kill off Fordola or Tiamat.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

I have a feeling some people are going to be very very unhappy with (the very start of the quest to unlock diamond weapon spoiler) Gaius being made head of the werlyt resistance on account of his good nature and leadership experience, but it makes sense to me.

I mean basically he was given command because he literally proved he could take the place before in addition to knowing how Garleans function. He is actually an extremely good choice as long as you truly think he'll work in your interest.

Honestly I expected the G-Savior to end the fight destroyed but nope we just got our own personal Gundam lying around.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Trip report:

Breach = Sensational, amazing for Taro fans. Fights rely a bit much on adding another enemy to the side of the screen.
Pagal'than = It's decent.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Big rear end Bambi eyes

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I got real excited when Lunar Bahamut started spamming Nidhogg-style Ahk Morns, less so when I realised they all did aproximately 0 damage to a full party

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

best stick with the original

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

A little surprised lunar bahamut went down so quickly and easily.

Would have thought we'd take on Lunar Ravana/Ifrit in Pagalthan, maybe both why not, and then Lunar Bahamut goes down against Tiamat in 5.55.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Josuke Higashikata posted:

A little surprised lunar bahamut went down so quickly and easily.

Would have thought we'd take on Lunar Ravana/Ifrit in Pagalthan, maybe both why not, and then Lunar Bahamut goes down against Tiamat in 5.55.

Remember, the First Beast was the 'easy' one... They're only getting worse from here...

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Lunar King Mog is going to be an absolute nightmare

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

multijoe posted:

Lunar King Mog is going to be an absolute nightmare

Just think of all those dead moogles.

...has a moogle actually died in-game before?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

Just think of all those dead moogles.

...has a moogle actually died in-game before?

One gets eaten in a FATE in the Churning Mists

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lunar Bahamut seems like it's not a 'true' primal, it couldn't temper people, so I imagine its power level was relatively low especially since it got a healthy combo of Mama Dragon and Speary Boy.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

ImpAtom posted:

Lunar Bahamut seems like it's not a 'true' primal, it couldn't temper people, so I imagine its power level was relatively low especially since it got a healthy combo of Mama Dragon and Speary Boy.

Fun fact! It's title translates as 'Beast of the End' so it looks like we were quite literally fighting a Terminus Beast. :getin:

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

sorrow of werlyt was really good :unsmith:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

(weapons spoilers)

I kinda feel like the wow factor on the weapons went down as the story went on. Like we got the scary, corporeal, slimy monster ghost first, then golden ghosts second, and then third was just a "normal" robot.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Badger of Basra posted:

(weapons spoilers)

I kinda feel like the wow factor on the weapons went down as the story went on. Like we got the scary, corporeal, slimy monster ghost first, then golden ghosts second, and then third was just a "normal" robot.

The horror transitions from one form to another. From 'What the gently caress was THAT?' to 'Don't do that! Don't! No!' to ':aaaaa:'

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Yeah I was a bit disappointed that there was no Oversoul phase

The fight was very cool otherwise, though.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

SirSamVimes posted:

Yeah I was a bit disappointed that there was no Oversoul phase

The fight was very cool otherwise, though.

In a technical sense, that was the Oversoul phase. Valens faced Phase 1 and ran like a bitch.

I rather liked the transition back and forth between drastically different attack patterns.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
The goosebumps when rise of the black wolf started playing

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
You know, it dawns upon me in the aftermath of Sorrows that Gaius had best look after his adorable dragon daughter carefully. Because she has the only known functional replica of the Heart of Sabik now.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

You fools, you forgot to tie Estinien up before telling him there was a dragon to slay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
I think the best thing about that whole quest was Estinien, who is basically admitting his situation is basically a reverse of Hraesvelger and Shiva's now.