Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

live with fruit posted:

"Niece by marriage" doesn't make it less weird.

Is this honestly weirder than the 90 year age gap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Is this honestly weirder than the 90 year age gap?

It's not like Steve was actually 95 or whatever.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

TulliusCicero posted:

Walker is also...stronger than original Cap

Where is that info from?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I just watched Avengers 1 and Captain America TWS after watching Endgame a few weeks ago. In Avengers we see Thor take Loki and the Tesseract away at the end of the film, without the scepter. In Endgame we see Loki being marched through SHIELD HQ before they went full hydra. There is zero mention of Loki in TWS.

Does TWS take place entirely between them defeating Loki and Thor taking Loki away? I felt like Thor took him away immediately after they beat him and closed the portal but TWS and Endgame suggests otherwise. Also does this mean the Loki in the upcoming show is the Loki who just led Thanos’s army into earth, wants to rule humanity as their godking, stabbed his brother, and was just slammed around like a toy by the Hulk? ie Loki is still full on evil?

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

I just watched Avengers 1 and Captain America TWS after watching Endgame a few weeks ago. In Avengers we see Thor take Loki and the Tesseract away at the end of the film, without the scepter. In Endgame we see Loki being marched through SHIELD HQ before they went full hydra. There is zero mention of Loki in TWS.

Does TWS take place entirely between them defeating Loki and Thor taking Loki away? I felt like Thor took him away immediately after they beat him and closed the portal but TWS and Endgame suggests otherwise. Also does this mean the Loki in the upcoming show is the Loki who just led Thanos’s army into earth, wants to rule humanity as their godking, stabbed his brother, and was just slammed around like a toy by the Hulk? ie Loki is still full on evil?

They were taking Loki through the Stark tower lobby in Endgame. The Hydra guys were there to pick up the scepter which they give to Strucker leading into the beginning of Age of Ultron. During TWS, Loki and the Tesseract are both on Asgard.

For the second part, yes. The Loki in Loki is the alternate universe Loki that escapes right after being captured in New York.

Firebert fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 13, 2021

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

LionArcher posted:

It's funny how much they've tried to make both it and Thor 2 better than they are with subsequent better films/shows.

Thor 2 was worth it to give us the bit with Hemsworth's brother and Matt Damon.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Morrow posted:

Thor 2 was worth it to give us the bit with Hemsworth's brother and Matt Damon.

Gonna be quick to jump on it and remind you that was Thor 3.

Thor 2 is the one with the lots of angry grey/black swirl patterns

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i'm guessing from that trailer that Walker got disavowed by the US government?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

mind the walrus posted:

I swear, my ex-wife and I are the only two people I've encountered who really like Thor 2.

I have a strained relationship with a sibling I try pretty hard to love, so maybe that's why, but I enjoyed the whole thing soup to nuts.

Hiddleston is wonderful as always, making him a tweener was just what I wanted at the time, the climax was a ton of fun with the black hole bombs and portal madness, the comedy was on point throughout (Thor hanging Mjolnir up on the coat rack kills me,) and Darcy was great as always.

About the only thing I didn't like about the flick was Jane getting shafted, story-wise, so thankfully she's gonna' get some justice now that Perlmutter's gone and Taika's running the franchise.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The Saddest Rhino posted:

i'm guessing from that trailer that Walker got disavowed by the US government?
People are being edgy and saying that there's going to be some whole plotline about media circus framing the whole murder as positive and in Walker's favor, and to their credit that is how it would go in "the real world" but knowing the MCU they're going to have Walker disavowed because the GRC/US Gov't plans for Walker are to make him a Wal-Mart icon and he's hosed that pretty definitely up, which frees up the end of the show to allow Walker to get chumped and for Sam to take the mantle without much in the way of red tape to complicate matters. That's what I'm putting my chips on, at least.

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

I swear, my ex-wife and I are the only two people I've encountered who really like Thor 2.

I have a strained relationship with a sibling I try pretty hard to love, so maybe that's why, but I enjoyed the whole thing soup to nuts.

Hiddleston is wonderful as always, making him a tweener was just what I wanted at the time, the climax was a ton of fun with the black hole bombs and portal madness, the comedy was on point throughout (Thor hanging Mjolnir up on the coat rack kills me,) and Darcy was great as always.

About the only thing I didn't like about the flick was Jane getting shafted, story-wise, so thankfully she's gonna' get some justice now that Perlmutter's gone and Taika's running the franchise.
I don't hate Thor 2, it's just a lot like Age of Ultron in that it can't decide what it really wants to be about and makes some really baffling unforced errors.

1. Setting the fate of the Nine Realms in jeopardy immediately after the first Avengers was a huge mistake because it instantly works against itself and is impossible to buy into, and this is before you get into the fact that Thor doesn't even make mention of contacting SHIELD or any of the other Avengers (sure they couldn't just teleport to London, but I remember it was a huge complaint when it came out and pretty reasonable to expect more of a head-nod to one of the biggest movies in history outside of two lines with Loki that were clearly done in reshoots).
2. Thor doesn't have a very compelling arc.
3. To make room for Loki nearly all the Dark Elf stuff gets cut, making them more of a plot contrivance than a force in their own right.
4. Jane gets sidelined pretty fast in the worst way.
5. The environments are all way too dour and dull, the dark dimension in particular literally looks like a dull basin of volcanic rock, which shouldn't be visually boring but somehow is.

There's a much better movie in there, and a lot of stuff does work. The production design of the Dark Elves is great. London isn't a bad choice for the Earth portions. As-mentioned Thor's comedy bits are killer. Kurse is an underrated jobber who looks fantastic. Loki of course, works, and I still love the ride out of Asgard where literally everyone they run into threatens to kill Loki for his inevitable betrayal. The ending twist with Loki on Odin's throne even works really well.

It just lacks any sort of anchor.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Apr 13, 2021

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Retrowave Joe posted:

Where is that info from?

People just keep saying that because he's more gratuitous about his strength, ignoring the fact that he literally held a helicopter down for a hot second.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

mind the walrus posted:

Gonna be quick to jump on it and remind you that was Thor 3.

I believe Morrow meant that the scene they were acting out in 3 was from 2.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

KittyEmpress posted:

People just keep saying that because he's more gratuitous about his strength, ignoring the fact that he literally held a helicopter down for a hot second.

In the comics, Walker is actually meta-human level strength and speed, whereas Steve is (classically) peak-human. Steve consistently kicks the poo poo out of Walker, though, because not even the Power Broker can shine a turd.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Marsupial Ape posted:

In the comics, Walker is actually meta-human level strength and speed, whereas Steve is (classically) peak-human. Steve consistently kicks the poo poo out of Walker, though, because not even the Power Broker can shine a turd.

Whilst true, Steve in the MCU is explicitly superhuman with his serum, and strong enough to fight Bucky hand to hand so long as he's not taking on the metal arm directly (which only Spider-man has done anything directly to the arm, everyone else works around it).

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

You'd think people be more concerned about Peter Parker having become a supersoldier by other nebulous means.

EDIT: I still have never made it through Winter Soldier without falling asleep. I don't know if it's the pacing or what but in the middle of the movie it's always snooze time. Three times and counting!

HppyCmpr
May 8, 2011

smoobles posted:

I cannot remember why Bucky and Falcon care so much about the Flagmashers in particular, I think they got an iPhone alert about them in episode 1 or something?

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, like, I disagree with their overall point that the show is "boring as poo poo", but when they get to specific complaints, they're not wrong. Sam cares about the Flagsmashers originally because someone showed him a video on an iPhone? I legit forget, what happened to that guy? "

I think it's fine for people to not like the show or to recognise it's not for them, I just don't know how Goons always miss key plot points that were shoved in their face or just somehow forget that it was outlined to them by someone staring directly at them via the screen.
Then some of them have the audacity to act like it's the show fault they forgot. :circlefap:

Sam cares about the Flagsmashers because when the CIA guy was investigating them he thought they might be super powered or super serumed up; based on the guy throwing him across the street like he was a toy doll.

HppyCmpr fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Apr 13, 2021

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

MiddleOne posted:

You'd think people be more concerned about Peter Parker having become a supersoldier by other nebulous means.

EDIT: I still have never made it through Winter Soldier without falling asleep. I don't know if it's the pacing or what but in the middle of the movie it's always snooze time. Three times and counting!

Intent is more worrying than freak accidents. This is why Zemo zeroes in on the notion of Supremacist Ideology. This is why Sam tells Karli that if you're killing people the world you're building isn't better, only different, and in turn why Karli gets defensive when she thoughtlessly dehumanizes her enemies into mere roadblocks and dismisses the inherent value of their lives.

In Nietzschean terms, it is imperative for society to create the Superman because in the absence of externally imposed morals (God Is Dead) nihilism will reign. The Superman's act of creating new morals is inherently justified because in the absence of morals, it is impossible to judge the means by which morals are created. However, when Nietzschean philosophy is co-opted by Nationalism or Idealism, as it was by the Nazis, then the Superman is not acting in a moral vacuum, he is acting to destroy morals which clearly still exist in favor of his own. Thus the act of creation can be rightly judged as evil because you're not replacing a moral void, you're simply destroying morals which you view as inferior, and indeed the people who hold them, which is in total defiance of Nietzsche's view that the Superman can only come about by an embrace of the earthly world and the affirmation of life.

This similarly explains Zemo's problem with the Avengers, whether they act on their own accord or submit themselves to the UN's authority. Either way they become tools of ideology to destroy its "lessers." He views it as inevitable, that nobody who willingly seeks that power and no group that by design creates that power can avoid the corrupt desire to destroy those that oppose them. Sam rejects this view because he has the example of Steve, and now the example of Bucky, who while flawed do not fit the mold that Zemo fears either by their own wishes nor by their willingness to be used as tools of others that do (indeed, now that Bucky cannot be FORCED to become an ideology's tool anymore, Zemo doesn't seem nearly as gung-ho about destroying him). Sam sees Karli as continuing in this vein, provided she can be talked down from her radicalization. Unlike Zemo, who believes her corruption is inevitable, Sam thinks she can continue to try and change the world through the affirmation of life, its only when she embraces destroying her opposition that she is dangerous.

I doubt Zemo would be okay with Spiderman existing just because he got his powers by accident because he is still an Avenger and like with Karli Zemo wouldn't believe he's capable of maintaining his innocence and good intent forever because of his power. But he's certainly a lower priority than people who are going out of their way to make themselves Superpeople.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I'd like to see Bucky's metal arm do something besides fall off. They make a big deal of it being ~vibranium~ the super special mystical metal that we see give the Black Panther suit and other technology all sorts of interesting abilities, but it's just an arm? The previous arm at least had a cool charge-up mode (in the winter soldier highway scene we see some sort of mechanic where it charges up and gets strong enough to overpower Steve trying to hold it back with both hands, and we later see Steve stop a drat helicopter bare handed) but this arm doesn't really do anything except Be An Arm.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

coolusername posted:

I'd like to see Bucky's metal arm do something besides fall off. They make a big deal of it being ~vibranium~ the super special mystical metal that we see give the Black Panther suit and other technology all sorts of interesting abilities, but it's just an arm? The previous arm at least had a cool charge-up mode (in the winter soldier highway scene we see some sort of mechanic where it charges up and gets strong enough to overpower Steve trying to hold it back with both hands, and we later see Steve stop a drat helicopter bare handed) but this arm doesn't really do anything except Be An Arm.

He uses it like a discount Cap Shield in Civil War, which is kind of neat in a few scenes, like when they take out the SWAT team.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

coolusername posted:

Considering the hand Klaue made for himself, I'm not surprised Shuri just made Bucky a fairly standard arm.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Firebert posted:

They were taking Loki through the Stark tower lobby in Endgame. The Hydra guys were there to pick up the scepter which they give to Strucker leading into the beginning of Age of Ultron. During TWS, Loki and the Tesseract are both on Asgard.

For the second part, yes. The Loki in Loki is the alternate universe Loki that escapes right after being captured in New York.

Oh poo poo you’re right. I got mixed up and mentally combined the scene in Stark Tower with the scene where Steve is at SHIELD in the elevator where he pretends to be HYDRA.

Kinda unrelated but when our Steve goes back in time to drop off the infinity stones and then he stays to be with Peggy… what happens to the Alt-Steve in that universe? I thought Banner said that you can’t go back in time to “our” universe.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

Oh poo poo you’re right. I got mixed up and mentally combined the scene in Stark Tower with the scene where Steve is at SHIELD in the elevator where he pretends to be HYDRA.

Kinda unrelated but when our Steve goes back in time to drop off the infinity stones and then he stays to be with Peggy… what happens to the Alt-Steve in that universe? I thought Banner said that you can’t go back in time to “our” universe.

Well he was on ice until 2011 and then presumably he hooks up with someone present-day because that universe's Thanos disappeared shortly after New York and they never had a reason to invent time travel.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Alchenar posted:

Well he was on ice until 2011 and then presumably he hooks up with someone present-day because that universe's Thanos disappeared shortly after New York and they never had a reason to invent time travel.

So when Steve shows up at Peggy’s house and she says “I literally heard you crash and die in the Arctic yesterday. How are you alive?” he just says “nah babe don’t worry about it”?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Haha what is the weird Steven Strange reference in Winter Soldier. The AI knew from his bank records and purchasing patterns that he was going to become a sorcerer? Very goofy.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

MiddleOne posted:

Haha what is the weird Steven Strange reference in Winter Soldier. The AI knew from his bank records and purchasing patterns that he was going to become a sorcerer? Very goofy.

He’s an extremely capable and headstrong neurosurgeon, not the sort of person Hydra wants outside their control. Maybe he could undo the Winter Soldier in Bucky’s head.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

MiddleOne posted:

It was a very good algorithm.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Lord_Magmar posted:

He’s an extremely capable and headstrong neurosurgeon, not the sort of person Hydra wants outside their control. Maybe he could undo the Winter Soldier in Bucky’s head.

Haha. It puts him next to the Hulk!!!

live with fruit posted:

It was a very good algorithm.

Godly.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I'll handwave that, the point of the algorithm was to go from zero to 'totally compliant population' in one step, never having to deal with any independent thinkers at any subsequent point.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I assume he was already in the middle of magic training by then. Maybe it noticed large purchases of ram's blood and newt eyes.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Still better than Peter being retconned as the kid in the Iron Man mask in Iron Man 2.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

MiddleOne posted:

The algorithm basically anyone who would stand up against Hydra was a threat, however big or small. Talk about a scene that aged better, the algorithm is basically another propaganda arm of Hydra.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I watched Age of Ultron this weekend and it was better than I expected but definitely has weak points that are so outrageous I can see why everyone shits all over it.

I actually like Ultron as a Dark Stark, an inverted Tony that uses the same sense of humor, charisma, and ingenuity as Stark but for evil. I really liked the twins and I thought these were Hawkeye’s best moments.

But holy poo poo the last act is just utter nonsense. Is there like a Hollywood Speedster curse where screenwriters just cannot convincingly write a consistent super speed character who doesn’t just, like, totally forget how their powers work at critical moments? His death feels so lazy I was totally removed from the scene.

The globetrotting nature of the film is part of why it feels so slapped together, but the writing here is the weakest of the franchise. A demonic AI that controls all networked devices would be able to destroy the entire world a billion times over without nukes, so I’m left to assume Jarvis is just counterhacking Ultron at the speed of light the entire time, not just protecting Nukes.

It feels very strange to see this treated as a victory when it’s A) 100% their own fault and B) the rest of the series rewrites it to be a Holocaust level population displacement that essentially begins the apocalypse. The film is very much “hooray, the Earth is saved” and that’s it! Extremely atonal, as though the franchise endeavors to divorce itself from this movie from here on out...

Sam’s absence feels extremely weird, especially given Ray Fisher’s recent Whedon experiences...

Finally... gosh the Nat/Bruce interactions seemed written by people who have never flirted nor had sex before. It’s just the flattest romance ever completely devoid of sexual tension. Do they even gently caress? Have they hosed? So weirdly unclear!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Boris Galerkin posted:

So when Steve shows up at Peggy’s house and she says “I literally heard you crash and die in the Arctic yesterday. How are you alive?” he just says “nah babe don’t worry about it”?

They actually go thaw out the other Steve and have a wild threesome

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

Finally... gosh the Nat/Bruce interactions seemed written by people who have never flirted nor had sex before. It’s just the flattest romance ever completely devoid of sexual tension. Do they even gently caress? Have they hosed? So weirdly unclear!

Lets not forget how Nat's infertility makes her a monster unfit to be around other people!

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Alchenar posted:

Lets not forget how Nat's infertility makes her a monster unfit to be around other people!

I’m going to be like, the minimal amount of open minded and say just because it makes her feel like a monster does not mean the movie agrees with her. But also it’s written by Whedon so gently caress that the line is terrible even if I could see a version where a similar sentiment works in the context of Black Widow hinting at serious self-loathing issues.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Whenever Evans runs out of money and has to come crawling back to Marvel, the movie about Steve and Peggy creating world peace in their multiverse is going to be amazing.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
It's pretty clear in the movie that Natasha is referring to being turned into an assassin.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

The globetrotting nature of the film is part of why it feels so slapped together, but the writing here is the weakest of the franchise.

I think it's very clear the plot in Age of Ultron is just an excuse to get from one action-scene the director wanted to another — pacing, characters and storytelling be damned. The original Avengers arguably has the same problem but it's nowhere near as egregious.

Contrast to Infinity War and it just gets ridiculous.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Alchenar posted:

I know this is a popular meme, but I rewatched the movie just a few weeks ago and you gotta be willfully misinterpreting that scene to get that from it. She mentions her infertility as a part of the inhuman training and upbringing of her assassin background and that she is a monster because she is basically a Killing Machine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Collapsing Farts posted:

I know this is a popular meme, but I rewatched the movie just a few weeks ago and you gotta be willfully misinterpreting that scene to get that from it. She mentions her infertility as a part of the inhuman training and upbringing of her assassin background and that she is a monster because she is basically a Killing Machine

Bruce is talking about how he can't have a family or kids and she brings up how she can't either and says "You still think you're the only monster on the team?" She's very clearly talking about not being able to have children.

Given how controversial it's been, you have to imagine that they'll address it in Black Widow.

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Apr 13, 2021