Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Many many years ago at one of my first jobs I was put on a PIP literally right after my 90 day start and was on it for like six months before they ended it and promoted me with a raise. Was it a hazing? Were they insanely dysfunctional? Did anyone know what was happening? In any case, they were mad when I took another job as soon as I’d been there long enough to not look bad on my resume

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Easier to fire you if they felt the need to trim headcount.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Sounds like an rear end-backwards way to do probationary new hires I guess? There are obviously better ways of doing that. Telling a brand new employee they are on a performance improvement plan right after they start is like a 100% guaranteed way to have the new person want to quit as soon as possible. What a bunch of idiots.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Captain Beans posted:

Sounds like an rear end-backwards way to do probationary new hires I guess? There are obviously better ways of doing that. Telling a brand new employee they are on a performance improvement plan right after they start is like a 100% guaranteed way to have the new person want to quit as soon as possible. What a bunch of idiots.

They said that the PIP was AFTER the 90 day probationary period, though.

Just :psyduck: all around

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

They did some of the craziest things with their employees, so I don't think there was ANY rationale or secret smart/Machiavellian plan behind it. I think I just accidentally got on someone's bad side and then got back on someone's good side. They would do everything they could to run off the good employees and then got mad when they couldn't find/retain good hires. The bad ones somehow didn't get this stuff, maybe because of low expectations? I just don't know!

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Local Weather posted:

I worked for an international division of a big American company from 2016 until I was laid off last year. Its the kind of company that looks great on your CV but in reality it was a nightmare shitshow of almost unbelievable bureaucracy to get even the simplest things done. They had this "gated approval" system that was the same for little BI software system as it was for an aircraft, communication satellite, or laser-guided bomb.

This process involved getting 26 signatures from various people across the entire corporation. These are people who at best don't have any idea who you are and what your project is who give you a signature with a 5 minute phone call all the way to people who want you to perform a whole readiness project that takes a couple months all on it's own just to give you a signature. It usually took somewhere in the neighborhood of 3-5 months to get all the approvals and even then towards the end you always had something missing. There was never a scenario, no matter how early you started, that you were completely ready and in the clear when the deadline came. And then the deadlines, totally artificial. You would set an optimistic date and start groveling around for these signatures and if you got too close to the date without being ready you were allowed ONE reset. This was completely arbitrary as there was no reason why you couldn't just reset it indefinitely but you would get in all kinds of poo poo for pushing it back more than once.

Possibly the most horrific thing about the whole process is that it changed every time you had to go through it. I pushed a system through in mid-2018, then another through in early 2019 and another in 2020 and it was actually significantly different each time. It was so insane that I still have a hard time believing this is a company that actually works and makes money. There are people who work there who's only job is maintaining checklists for idiotic processes like this. Imagine that being your job, a corporate check-list checker.

No project that I worked on in my 4.5 years there ever went to market, no one ever used anything my dev teams built. I probably spent 2-3 million dollars developing two systems there and they were never used.

I was laid off in 2020 and it was terrifying to try to find a job during the pandemic but in the end I'm glad to be out from under that behemoth.

Dumb poo poo your work does - a corporate check-list checker

Frazzbo
Feb 2, 2006

Thistle dubh

poisonpill posted:

Many many years ago at one of my first jobs I was put on a PIP literally right after my 90 day start and was on it for like six months before they ended it and promoted me with a raise. Was it a hazing? Were they insanely dysfunctional? Did anyone know what was happening? In any case, they were mad when I took another job as soon as I’d been there long enough to not look bad on my resume

Maybe they got their managment bullshit bingo cards confused and thought they were putting you on a motivational scheme :shrug:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Corporate check list checker is the entire job description of middle managers. VPs and chiefs at least word vomit very big important strategy and line managers make decisions you can actually watch change a workplace.

A director exists to collect the information that appears to justify his position: this is data driven management. A+ bonus options would fail upwards again

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

zedprime posted:

Corporate check list checker is the entire job description of middle managers. VPs and chiefs at least word vomit very big important strategy and line managers make decisions you can actually watch change a workplace.

A director exists to collect the information that appears to justify his position: this is data driven management. A+ bonus options would fail upwards again

i want to put this post in my e-mail signature

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I've seen exactly one (1) employee put on a PIP where they weren't trying to fire them. It was an older person that did genuinely good work but just didn't understand a lot of computer stuff. So we worked with them as a team and got them trained up and they were pretty great about it.

I had a job when I was 19 where someone freaked out over literally nothing (I think they had extreme anxiety) and threw me under the bus. Instead of talking to me about it, my supervisor put me on limited duty for a year. I was allowed to do basically nothing but got paid all the same. So everyone around me was pissed off that I wasn't doing anything but I wasn't allowed so I would direct them to my supervisor.

Finally they released me back to fully duty after a 45 minute grilling session about me not being patriotic enough.

El Chupacabras
Oct 12, 2002
I see a lot of computer touchers so I have a question, lets say that the people from the finance department that is currently WFH decided to create a folder on a company file server, with a LOT of confidential information (payments made, bank account info including how much money is in each account, etc.) and forgot to set the access privileges right.

A bored employee from another department who likes to browse that server looking for fun stuff finds such folder and copies all its contents to a USB drive.

Does windows record who accessed/copied a file?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

El Chupacabras posted:

I see a lot of computer touchers so I have a question, lets say that the people from the finance department that is currently WFH decided to create a folder on a company file server, with a LOT of confidential information (payments made, bank account info including how much money is in each account, etc.) and forgot to set the access privileges right.

A bored employee from another department who likes to browse that server looking for fun stuff finds such folder and copies all its contents to a USB drive.

if they have competent IT- yes

El Chupacabras
Oct 12, 2002

PIZZA.BAT posted:

if they have competent IT- yes

So the guy is probably safe.

An alternative I was thinking is “where those confidential? poo poo! Why where they out in the open!? That is very negligent!”

There were a few local influencers getting payments from us on the payments list, probably so they won’t give us crap, as I haven’t seen them openly advertising for us.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

El Chupacabras posted:

Not by default. It generates a ton of logs and increases I/O if you have many users.

Unless it's changed recently the auditing GPO/security settings needs to have specific folders/files set.
And it's quite resource intensive to try to pull the relevant data out of the logs.

There is third party software that can better manage all that should you need Panopticon level control.

But there are almost always ways to get a copy off undetected.

Also unless it's a mickey mouse operation running all this important poo poo in Excel sheets, and is just medium level, it's going to be in password protected Quickbooks or similar. But those can be brute forced on the copy you grabbed.

One trick if they are only watching for copying is Open -> Save As. Look maw, new file, no copying here.

And of course if you have admin rights, no log can survive your shady business.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Any dirt? Secret accounts? Black budgets? Slush funds? Venmo-linked records associated with Congress members?

El Chupacabras
Oct 12, 2002

goatface posted:

Any dirt? Secret accounts? Black budgets? Slush funds? Venmo-linked records associated with Congress members?

I’m in South America so nothing interesting for the US public, but the little I had time to look around there was some interesting stuff like (as already mentioned) payments out to local influencers/news reporters probably to avoid them making GBS threads on us when people protest about their bills. Also payments to some “local figures” that could count as people with political influence.

It is also very strange that due to the pandemic we hemorraged a lot of money so a few loans had to be taken; at the same time we apparently created cash deposits that pay less interest rates than the rate we pay on the loans...

Also I managed to figure out how much many people get paid on the company as they were paid from a specific account that had a detailed report.

And yes, it was pretty much a Mickey Mouse operation full of excel files with no password protection.

That said I love my job, I get paid way more than average locally and have nice coworkers, so I would never do anything to harm the company.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

El Chupacabras posted:

I’m in South America so nothing interesting for the US public, but the little I had time to look around there was some interesting stuff like (as already mentioned) payments out to local influencers/news reporters probably to avoid them making GBS threads on us when people protest about their bills. Also payments to some “local figures” that could count as people with political influence.

It is also very strange that due to the pandemic we hemorraged a lot of money so a few loans had to be taken; at the same time we apparently created cash deposits that pay less interest rates than the rate we pay on the loans...

Also I managed to figure out how much many people get paid on the company as they were paid from a specific account that had a detailed report.

And yes, it was pretty much a Mickey Mouse operation full of excel files with no password protection.

That said I love my job, I get paid way more than average locally and have nice coworkers, so I would never do anything to harm the company.

you're in the death pit now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7zuX7jX0Rk

El Chupacabras
Oct 12, 2002

LOL, I’m an average guy that likes his job and I know it is going to be almost impossible to find something similar locally if I get fired (my pay is poo poo by US standards, but pretty good down here, not “oil company” good but still pretty good).

So I know I have to STFU and haven’t even mentioned the files to anybody at the office, I’m only using them “for entertainment purposes only”.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

El Chupacabras posted:

LOL, I’m an average guy that likes his job and I know it is going to be almost impossible to find something similar locally if I get fired (my pay is poo poo by US standards, but pretty good down here, not “oil company” good but still pretty good).

So I know I have to STFU and haven’t even mentioned the files to anybody at the office, I’m only using them “for entertainment purposes only”.

So how many Bolivars is that every two weeks?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

One of the places I worked at provided managed services for customers. One of the customers was a country that wanted us to run some software on their "instance" (lol, we had no instances). When asked what it did we were politely told to go gently caress ourselves.
Guess what management decided to do?

El Chupacabras
Oct 12, 2002

Batterypowered7 posted:

So how many Bolivars is that every two weeks?

Luckily I don’t get paid in bolivars, but our local currency may go down that route in a short time, which is something that kind of worries me right now.

As a matter of fact Venezuelans that leave their country by land pass thru my country on their way to Chile, some of them even stay here for some time. I have some anecdotes from a friend that used to help them by letting them stay in a room at a car repair shop he owns. Very sad stories like a guy who lost a sister in Venezuela because he couldn’t send her some pills worth 30USD on time.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Crackbone posted:

One of the places I worked at provided managed services for customers. One of the customers was a country that wanted us to run some software on their "instance" (lol, we had no instances). When asked what it did we were politely told to go gently caress ourselves.

Made you set up a VM so that their rootkit could get started the way they expected it to?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Crackbone posted:

So which channel should we be watching for the upcoming international espionage scandal?

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
Put your boss on a PIP.

Piss
Ingesting
Plan

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Butternubs posted:

Put your boss on a PIP.

Piss
Ingesting
Plan

Hell yeah boss

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Our CEO sent an email out to the entire company last night saying (and this is paraphrased): "We fully support the rebuilding of American infrastructure through taxes, BUT we pay too many taxes already."

Not even a call for us to call our legislators or anything, just a note that they support paying taxes, just not TOO MUCH in taxes.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Didn't taxes get reduced from 35 to 21 percent under trump? And the plan is to increase them to 28, so it's still a net reduction?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Son of Rodney posted:

Didn't taxes get reduced from 35 to 21 percent under trump? And the plan is to increase them to 28, so it's still a net reduction?

Any percent is too much for ghouls like that if it isn't coming right back to their pockets.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Son of Rodney posted:

I think corporate taxes went from 35 to 28 under Obama.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

TotalLossBrain posted:

I think corporate taxes went from 35 to 28 under Obama.

Yep, and then the Trump drop was to 21. Capital Gains taxes also went down and so did high income taxes. Middle and lower brackets saw a reduction, but it's only temporary and starting next year they are going to start going back up. It's going to be a shitshow.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Lazyfire posted:

Yep, and then the Trump drop was to 21. Capital Gains taxes also went down and so did high income taxes. Middle and lower brackets saw a reduction, but it's only temporary and starting next year they are going to start going back up. It's going to be a shitshow.

Those ones won't go back up either, the whole thing was designed to make it a "DEMOCRATS WANT TO RAISE TAXES ON THE MIDDLE CLASS" vehicle or force them to increase the deficit ("TAX AND SPEND DEMOCRATS"). Another loving cartoonishly evil piece of legislation that dicks over the nation to own the libs.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

A Fancy Hat posted:

Our CEO sent an email out to the entire company last night saying (and this is paraphrased): "We fully support the rebuilding of American infrastructure through taxes, BUT we pay too many taxes already."

Not even a call for us to call our legislators or anything, just a note that they support paying taxes, just not TOO MUCH in taxes.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I thought that I recalled in my accounting classes that corporations pay a tax on net profit (revenue minus operating expenses).

So, if they're like, philosophically opposed to taxes in general, they could just . . . put more money into the business (wages, buying new equipment and using accelerated depreciation schemes, etc.) to just . . . pay less taxes?

I've always found the "tax" argument to be specious, at best. But then again it was my accounting classes - especially the one that had a unit on "executive compensation" - that taught me that the whole entire game is fuckin' rigged in the most transparent way possible, but somehow we're just not supposed to talk about that and nod sagely about how "this is just how it's done" :v:

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Zarin posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I thought that I recalled in my accounting classes that corporations pay a tax on net profit (revenue minus operating expenses).

So, if they're like, philosophically opposed to taxes in general, they could just . . . put more money into the business (wages, buying new equipment and using accelerated depreciation schemes, etc.) to just . . . pay less taxes?

I've always found the "tax" argument to be specious, at best. But then again it was my accounting classes - especially the one that had a unit on "executive compensation" - that taught me that the whole entire game is fuckin' rigged in the most transparent way possible, but somehow we're just not supposed to talk about that and nod sagely about how "this is just how it's done" :v:

This already does happen to some extent. It's why bonuses are paid out at the end of the fiscal year and not the middle.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Zarin posted:

It's even better than that. By cutting taxes on top earners and corporations we're actually incentivizing them to pay *less* to their workers and invest less in their business. There's way more immediate payoff to just siphoning out the money now rather than investing to grow the company in the long term

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

PIZZA.BAT posted:

It's even better than that. By cutting taxes on top earners and corporations we're actually incentivizing them to pay *less* to their workers and invest less in their business. There's way more immediate payoff to just siphoning out the money now rather than investing to grow the company in the long term

I'd argue it's working as intended.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

vyst posted:

This already does happen to some extent. It's why bonuses are paid out at the end of the fiscal year and not the middle.

*looks at bank account* Not enough, yet. :v:

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Ooooh! I hadn't even considered the recursive effect of this specific externality. Neat!

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

yesterday:

We needed to rent a bobcat and get brick and rebar for a big planting project. Its under a different grant not thru our department, so we need the signature of the director in charge for our PO to purchase/rent that stuff. (We had been signing our own POs to purchase stuff for it prior but apparently thats an issue) That director was not in and wasn't answering the phone.

My boss gave us paperwork for the admin to sign, and then was gonna have us deliver it to the town i live in and bring some stuff back. I told him if there's no rush I could just bring the paperwork at the end of work, then bring the stuff back tomorrow when I come in, and he said "that's a good idea" and then 5 minutes later had me and and a coworker go out to get the paperwork signed and go deliver it. When we brought it to the CEO she said she can't sign it yet because its an item on tomorrow's agenda theyre supposed to discuss.

So nothing has happened, and until we get these signatures nothing can happen. And we only really have 2 more days to stage everything and do most of the labor for this planter.

Right now I'm just using my work computer to do job applications and edit my SOQ, while charging my time to an EPA grant

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Lmao, director said they want every DBA to be able to do Golden Gate on-calls and someone said it's unreasonable for him to expect everyone to be PostgreSQL, Oracle, SAP, Golden Gate, etc subject matter experts and that they're sure that having a smaller staff do all those roles, rather than hiring more people, makes the metrics look great, but that those metrics are coming at the expense of the employees. Glad someone said something.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Our big, bloated system was changed recently so that if I make a record of something, I am no longer allowed to amend it. I have to delete the whole thing and start over.

It's not a HUGE deal because each entry is pretty easy most of the time but it really fucks up our records management because each entry has a unique ID. So now there are hundreds of floating, empty IDs that have to be archived but serve no purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Discussion beginning about returning employees to the office. Everyone is hoping for at least a hybrid model to allow WFH two days a week but no official word yet. They made it clear total remote work won't be an option, dunno why as I haven't set foot in the office for over a year with zero issues.