Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Spookydonut posted:

How do they do those cobblestone walls

SNOT bricks on the corners

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Yeah, looks pretty similar to the Blacksmith. SNOT bricks with tiles and mixing the walls up with masonry/log bricks and other colours.

Here are the instructions for the Blacksmith so you can have a look for yourself.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/LEGOMastersAU/status/1381544530495864832?s=20

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Yeah, looks pretty similar to the Blacksmith. SNOT bricks with tiles and mixing the walls up with masonry/log bricks and other colours.

Here are the instructions for the Blacksmith so you can have a look for yourself.
Yeah, a great number of its design cues were taken from the Blacksmith so they'd look good together, which is smart, but does mean that there's a bit less new tech to discover compared to similar "high level" MOCs IMO.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I really wish Lego had announced double points ahead of time, I’ve already blown my budget for the month.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
I'm new to this VIP thing, what do people usually do with points? For an occasional buyer, seems like I'll only ever have enough for a 5 bucks discount from time to time.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

seravid posted:

I'm new to this VIP thing, what do people usually do with points? For an occasional buyer, seems like I'll only ever have enough for a 5 bucks discount from time to time.
Start buying D2C sets and see how quickly that changes!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

seravid posted:

Save all my points for a year then spend them in January to slash the cost of the new modular.

There are also people who just list a bunch of sets on ebay then do drop shipping and earn points that way. It's kinda scummy, but it works.

e: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...lete=1&_fosrp=1

If you scroll through, you will see a number sold at $250 or so which is enough to cover any fees and even get a few bucks. And all those sellers do is take the $ and then drop ship directly from Lego. Over the course of the year they may only sell a handful of each set, but they will rack up a bunch of VIP points.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Apr 12, 2021

engessa
Jan 19, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

I really wish Lego had announced double points ahead of time, I’ve already blown my budget for the month.

My niece and nephew wanted Sesame Street and Winnie the Pooh so i ordered those for them last week :(

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Announced literally 48 hours after I bought a bunch of stuff. Argh.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Ah they are specific bricks for it: https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=15533

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Dang, sorta want to take advantage of 2X points because I'm almost out of stuff to build, but I dont think there's anything Im dying to get. Razor Crest is back in stock, but I think I've cooled on wanting it and it feels like will just become another grey starwars blob. Ninjago Gardens is out of stock (and still a lot to spend), Blacksmith is 60 days backordered, and the Shuttle looks nice, but I don't know if I want it that bad.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Speaking of points, is there any news on when the Odyssey orbiter is going to be released for the shuttle set?

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

AFewBricksShy posted:

Speaking of points, is there any news on when the Odyssey orbiter is going to be released for the shuttle set?

I've been checking and haven't seen anything about it after it got delayed.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Got an answer on the imperial units thing. The relevant bit:

Lego posted:

When we design our sets based in original buildings or third party creations, we try our best to maintain our sets as accurate and close to the orginal [sic] as possible, the information and the pieces that include the sets based on original creations, need also to be approved by the person or company that build the original model. For this reason the information on the stickers has been approved for selling as it is, since the original Space Shuttle was made by a United Stated agency, the units are shown as on the original model information.

So NASA requested imperial units on the stickers/wouldn't approve them in metric, but gave the thumbs up on the manual which prioritizes metric figures in every instance and throws the imperial ones in parentheses? Sure, whatever, I'm just gonna drop it, no point in continuing this.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

AllisonByProxy posted:

I've been seeing ads for this! I wonder if the brick pit format will be changed to be in line with social distancing protocols...

https://twitter.com/arnettwill/status/1380343789991043073

Dutch S2 just started and they just have a little "candidates have been tested" disclaimer at the start.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Nothing is jumping out at me, either old or new that is so enticing right now that I have to buy it. Seeing people’s favourite old sets posted enlightened me to some I didn’t know existed, but I feel weirdly like Alexander in that there are no more worlds for me to conquer. I hope they come out with more flowers and I hope they keep going with Architecture and classic cars for Speed Champions. Downtown Diner was the most recent must-have modular by my estimation, I do like the actual Police Station but not enough to spend the money. Basically how I feel about everything right now, it’s all very technically nice (love the new Blacksmith and the big Porsche) but I’m not sure what specifically I’m waiting for now. I feel like buying some older ones out of boredom but if there was anything I loved enough to buy I already bought it.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Oh, I thought you were talking about the dark grey tilework on the corners!

There's also a 1x2 version of that brick. To be honest I'm quite surprised you weren't aware of them, they've been widely available for almost ten years now.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I've never actually redeemed any VIP points before. Should I redeem them when I buy something during this 2x points deal, or do I only earn points on the money I'm actually paying so I should pay full price now and get more points to redeem later? The only thing I'm interested in is the modular garage. How do people like that compared to the other modulars?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Why is the Tuktuk a store exclusive and why is it always out of stock. It's a tiny $10 set. Sheesh.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

davebo posted:

I've never actually redeemed any VIP points before. Should I redeem them when I buy something during this 2x points deal, or do I only earn points on the money I'm actually paying so I should pay full price now and get more points to redeem later? The only thing I'm interested in is the modular garage. How do people like that compared to the other modulars?

You only earn points on money you pay so don’t redeem them during 2x points unless you’re done with Lego after this purchase :v: (GWPs are a different story tho, you get them even if you pay with points). I decided I’m gonna wait what they do with May the 4th, there’s nothing I really want besides stuff that can be gotten cheaper from third parties even after 2x points.

The garage is pretty sweet, it feels bigger/wider than the book store or the diner, has a neat door mechanism and a cute gag with the vet’s name (Dr Jones - No Snakes!).

Diner and Book Store feel more filigrane/detailed tho but also smaller.

I haven’t built the assembly square yet so I can’t compare to that.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Zedd posted:

Dutch S2 just started and they just have a little "candidates have been tested" disclaimer at the start.

I'm loving this season so far. I think I like this brickmaster more than the previous one, he seems a little less easily swayed by just adding a stupid joke.
It's a shame two of the best builders were just eliminated. Though at least it solves the problem where 2 groups were easily head and shoulders above the others with only 1 or 2 getting near them in quality.

I'm surprised we haven't seen the Aussi version of Lego Master on tv here yet. We get a lot of Australian reality shows here. The Bachelor, Big Brother, Married at First sight, Master chef and the Block. I would expect Lego Masters to also make the jump at some point. I wonder if there's a rights issue.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?

Darth TNT posted:

We get a lot of Australian reality shows here. The Bachelor, Big Brother, Married at First sight, Master chef and the Block.

Oh dude I am so sorry.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Darth TNT posted:

I'm surprised we haven't seen the Aussi version of Lego Master on tv here yet. We get a lot of Australian reality shows here. The Bachelor, Big Brother, Married at First sight, Master chef and the Block. I would expect Lego Masters to also make the jump at some point. I wonder if there's a rights issue.

Wait, really?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

GlenMR posted:

Oh dude I am so sorry.

:smith:

Well those last 2 are pretty okay if you're in the mood. But those other 3....:gonk: I can't get over how completely different in tone they are compared to our own versions.

Kazzah posted:

Wait, really?

Yes. No idea why. I think we get them more than the American or British versions even. :shrug:

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
This just in: German VIPs can claim the Ulysses probe tomorrow morning 9 am.

Check your local website to see if that's the case where you are as well.

engessa
Jan 19, 2007

Hopper posted:

Awesome. Same for the Dutch.

Darth TNT posted:

Yes. No idea why. I think we get them more than the American or British versions even. :shrug:

Probably all Endemol shows. No idea if Lego Masters is also Endemol.

engessa fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Apr 13, 2021

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Hopper posted:

:911: same

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Ladies and Gentlemen, start your alarm clocks.This is going to be harder to get than a PS5...

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

When they say 9am, is that local time or Denmark time or what?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I assume local but Denmark is the same as Germany so YMMV.

Edit: Weird, I just checked the VIP page again to see if they specified a timezone and it now says 10:00 instead of 9:00.

It definitely said 9 earlier as I set my alarm accordingly.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Apr 13, 2021

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
For the US items usually go on sale for the whole country in eastern time. Says 9:00 for me in chicago.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Oh, I thought you were talking about the dark grey tilework on the corners!

There's also a 1x2 version of that brick. To be honest I'm quite surprised you weren't aware of them, they've been widely available for almost ten years now.

I have zero interest in modulars or buildings, the only sets I've bought in the last decade have been star wars ships and space stuff

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Updated my 442 build! When I first made it, I wanted to have these fully built-up intake scoops but the structure I was using was too tall and kinda ruined the profile of the car, so I ended up just using black 1 x 4 tiles.

But now, thanks mainly to all the 1 x 1 brackets that exist now, I was able to build it properly without affecting the rest of the car! It's a huge improvement, IMO.

Stream tonight at 7PM CST (in 1 hour) where I rank every set I have ever built, which will be helpful and a good use of my time!

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Scipiotik posted:

For the US items usually go on sale for the whole country in eastern time. Says 9:00 for me in chicago.

Also says 9 AM for me in California, so sounds like I need a 6AM wakeup. Lucky for me I have a built in alarm with a 1 week old baby.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Zwille posted:

You only earn points on money you pay so don’t redeem them during 2x points unless you’re done with Lego after this purchase :v: (GWPs are a different story tho, you get them even if you pay with points). I decided I’m gonna wait what they do with May the 4th, there’s nothing I really want besides stuff that can be gotten cheaper from third parties even after 2x points.

The garage is pretty sweet, it feels bigger/wider than the book store or the diner, has a neat door mechanism and a cute gag with the vet’s name (Dr Jones - No Snakes!).

Thanks for that, I went ahead and put it in my cart, and then since I wanted some parts, spent about an hour getting into the pick a brick section of the website. Definitely didn't have everything I've been putting off getting from bricklink, but given the minimal selection it was easy to browse through stuff and get some things I needed, which all told only added up to twenty bucks.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

Zedd posted:

I didn't know there as a Dutch version and now I'm going to spend the rest of the night trying to track it down. (Can anyone help me with this?)

AllisonByProxy fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Apr 14, 2021

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Looks like most peole in Germany did not see the time change for the Ulysses, 9 am and the Lego website came to a grinding halt.

Can't even load the VIP section.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

AllisonByProxy posted:

I didn't know there as a Dutch version and now I'm going to spend the rest of the night trying to track it down. (Can anyone help me with this?)

You need to register and maybe a VPN? And apparently only the last episode is up for watching. Probably because de Mol is trying to shore up his also-ran streaming service. Which does have a 14 day free trial. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Hopper posted:

Looks like most peole in Germany did not see the time change for the Ulysses, 9 am and the Lego website came to a grinding halt.

Can't even load the VIP section.

Lol they crashed a German Lego blog who’s reporting on the probe, they just sent out a push notification telling people to simmer down and F5 Lego, not the blog. :v: