Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

mandatory lesbian posted:

the biology lectures on whales (and the chapters dedicated to explaining whaling in general) are really cool tho

i like to learn

Just to be sure, you know a lot is total bullshit according to modern biology right? Like, you're learning what people thought was true at the time, not what we now believe to be true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Osmosisch posted:

Just to be sure, you know a lot is total bullshit according to modern biology right? Like, you're learning what people thought was true at the time, not what we now believe to be true.

That's what makes it even better! It's a time capsule of what people in the 1800's thought of these creatures. Also due to its design, tons of very short chapters, it's actually rather easy to decide to tackle a chapter per night, even when the writing can feel sort of dense. Everyone should read Moby Dick.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I see that the 8bitdo Pro 2 is now up on Aliexpress on their official store, decided to get it there since I'd rather not go through Amazon.

Now to wait for like a month, lol.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Moby Dick is one of my favorite books for this poo poo. It's just all-encompassing and it still boggles my mind that at one point people we're actively going to sea to hunt creatures larger than their boats.

The original Monster Hunter if you will.

Hmm you know what, youre not wrong

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Osmosisch posted:

who cares. The book was written 170 years ago of course most of it is wrong lol

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Moby Dick is one of my favorite books for this poo poo. It's just all-encompassing and it still boggles my mind that at one point people we're actively going to sea to hunt creatures larger than their boats.

The original Monster Hunter if you will.

It blew my mind when I read the story of the Essex and realized poo poo like in Moby Dick was happening IRL as well

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

who cares. The book was written 170 years ago of course most of it is wrong lol

They said they were learning, just wanted to make sure. It's great reading either way, you're just learning history more than biology is all.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Osmosisch posted:

They said they were learning, just wanted to make sure. It's great reading either way, you're just learning history more than biology is all.

Yeah yeah, i get you. How bout this, i like it in the same way i like learning about how plague doctors outfits were the way they were or how sumerians apparently believed it was possible to have three parents

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Yeah yeah, i get you. How bout this, i like it in the same way i like learning about how plague doctors outfits were the way they were or how sumerians apparently believed it was possible to have three parents

Agreement and acceptance of terms.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
If only Ahab had put in time to learn the buttons and stopped accidentally chugging potions he could have bodied that fuckin whale

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Moby Dick is 5% a story about the futility of revenge, 30% fun biology facts like "whales are fish because they can swim" and 65% an oblivious "straight" man telling you about his extremely gay romantic experience

It's the greatest book ever written

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

flavor.flv posted:

an oblivious "straight" man telling you about his extremely gay romantic experience
Call me, Ishmael. ;-*

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Melville going HARD on "some people think whales are mammals but they're idiots" is one of my favorite things about that book

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

The Maroon Hawk posted:

The immediate future sure looks bleak as hell though, we have...what, Mario Golf? And Skyward Sword which I guess is exciting for those of us that didn't play it before but still, c'mon Nintendo

The 2 Famicom Detective Novels
The House in Fata Morgana just released
SaGa Frontier
SMT Nocturne
Half a dozen Ateliers
World's End Club
No More Heroes 3
And Mario Golf and Skyward Sword

There might not be something you want to play, but there's plenty to look forward to.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Another evening playing Conduct Together. Really fun puzzle game if you see it on sale. Static screen with train gates and different color stations, you have to use buttons mapped to the switchboards to route trains around the maps without crashing into each other or local traffic and deliver X number of passengers to the matching colors. It quickly escalates into mind-bending, I'm nearing the last world and it requires a lot of concentration and trial and error, but when it finally works you feel like that bit in docter strange where he reads a million copies of the book at once. As the name suggests you can do local multi to share the brainload but I haven't tried that.

(random review for screenshots)
https://www.vooks.net/conduct-together-switch-eshop-review/

I was initially turned off by the mobile-ish look to it, but it's really polished and I think it's exclusive to nintendo. Recommend if you like me need a picross alternative to S1-5.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I got conduct together when it was on sale for $0.01 and I don't think anybody's gotten something that good for a penny since, like, the Victorian era

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

new switch dropped

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1381955348093865992

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Just give us atomic purple you assholes you know that's what we want

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Walla posted:

The 2 Famicom Detective Novels
The House in Fata Morgana just released
SaGa Frontier
SMT Nocturne
Half a dozen Ateliers
World's End Club
No More Heroes 3
And Mario Golf and Skyward Sword

There might not be something you want to play, but there's plenty to look forward to.

It's me, the 1 person that played Miitopia on 3DS, here to tell you that Miitopia is really funny and the switch port will probably be at least worth your time on a sale.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

They should have made it a two pack with tomodachi life and also brought back miiverse

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

No lies detected.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I'm not sure how monster hunter works, is it something I could jump into after the content update (this summer?)?

I'm into games with weird and complex systems (loving adore Path of Exile) but not sure if it'll be cool to jump in with everyone else being crazy good at the game. Are there like, seasonal resets or anything?

Just not sure I have the time at the moment.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

External Organs posted:

I'm not sure how monster hunter works, is it something I could jump into after the content update (this summer?)?

I'm into games with weird and complex systems (loving adore Path of Exile) but not sure if it'll be cool to jump in with everyone else being crazy good at the game. Are there like, seasonal resets or anything?

I think it'll be fine to join any time. MP is pretty chill. Hell even the MP hunts scale to 1 player if you find the MP is unwelcoming for whatever reason. There are no resets.

It's a very fun game filled with complexity ranging from drop chances to gathering items to the combat. Each of the 14 weapons has its own systems at play. Loads of skills to consider and find ways to use. It's a real fun playground of complicated systems.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride

External Organs posted:

Yes, definitely.

It’s not really competitive at all. You don’t need to worry about other people being better than you or having better gear. It won’t affect your gameplay at all

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Sweeeet. I'll see y'all later then!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

External Organs posted:

Nah its not a problem, monster hunter progression isn't that intense really, and its incredibly horizontal. There's two tiers right now, low rank and high rank which basically means you reset once after you finish the tutorial, and then everyone's pretty much on the same level gear-wise. They're adding some new monsters but if it follows the last game (which was also the first one that even had regular updates), the new gear won't necessarily be better, just set up to allow for different builds.

And then in a year probably they'll release an expansion that adds a third tier

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I wish the lights didn't also have the drift issue which I already had to send my grey one off to get repaired for.
Hard to recommend them with that knowledge but man the form factor is just right

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/mowriy/full_list_of_upcoming_games_on_the_nintendo/

Unconfirmed when the releases are but we are getting
Rune Factory 5
Tony Hawk skateboards
Disco Elysium (summer?)
Digimon Survive
Minekos Night Market
Pokemon Diamond/Pearl remakes

also

Monster Harvest (may 13th)
Shin Megamis Games (3 is coming out in june, 5 is tba)
Monster Hunter Stories 2 (july)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/mowriy/full_list_of_upcoming_games_on_the_nintendo/

Rune Factory 5
Tony Hawk skateboards
Disco Elysium (summer?)
Digimon Survive
Minekos Night Market

also

Two Spelunkies and a Dusk, as well!

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Hell, I'm still waiting for a release date for Cris Tales.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Silksong maybe someday? Maybe? Bueller?

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

xedo posted:

It's me, the 1 person that played Miitopia on 3DS, here to tell you that Miitopia is really funny and the switch port will probably be at least worth your time on a sale.

One of two. It was fun but short.

What was that Mii game where you put a bunch of them in a house and watch it like a sitcom? For a while I was obsessed with that. Had a mash-up of Trailer Park Boys/Seinfeld/WWE/Friends that was just as terrible as it sounds.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Tomodachi Life I think

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
drat I wish at least one of those games interested me. I've been waiting for SMT5 for so long that I don't even know if I care anymore!

Jk I'll still love it when it's out but I suspect it's going to be another couple of years or hell maybe it'll never be on switch, they'll just bump it up to the next console or whatever

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

Rune Factory 5
Tony Hawk skateboards
Disco Elysium (summer?)
Digimon Survive
Minekos Night Market

also

So, Legend of Mana releases on 24th June? I think that's a good time for a few unused vacation days...

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

look forward to being disappointed at a lack of silksong news tomorrow

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1382000636363956229

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
My fingers are crossed for a release date for Sports Story.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

repiv posted:

look forward to being disappointed at a lack of silksong news tomorrow

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1382000636363956229

I wonder what the "Available Now!" game will be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Mods please change my name to Monster Hunter Biden thank you