Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

:j: Hey, I'm here picking up the kids. There's a warning in the dash saying coolant low, top off. Can I drive home?
:v: Ugh, yellow or red
:j: Yellow
:v: You should be able to limp home. Stop if you see a red warning
:j: Oh good, I thought it might be serious because there's steam pouring out from under my hood
:v: Wait, what?

:argh: GDCS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

“Wait now it’s red”

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYd38vFb6nM

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
After 5 years of 0 issues with my e39 540i besides a window regulator and the fuel door lock actuator, the driver's side interior door handle breaks, apparently they're plastic. Ordered metal replacement, easy fix apparently the door panel doesn't even need to be removed.

Guess 20 years is pretty good if it's the original

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

SlapActionJackson posted:

:j: Hey, I'm here picking up the kids. There's a warning in the dash saying coolant low, top off. Can I drive home?
:v: Ugh, yellow or red
:j: Yellow
:v: You should be able to limp home. Stop if you see a red warning
:j: Oh good, I thought it might be serious because there's steam pouring out from under my hood
:v: Wait, what?

:argh: GDCS

This feeling is basically what you have the first time you drive a prototype, except it gets turned up to 11 and the situation never really goes away, because it's perfectly normal for the car to scream at you in various ways to come to an immediate stop.
You're in a constant state of evaluating which of the lights on the Check-Control-Christmas tree is fine to be yellow/red or flashing angrily, which ones indicate you should call the owner and which ones require you to push the car right off a cliff.

There's nothing quite like a soothing Bavarian voice asking you "is there smoke?"

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Whats the context here? Is this something you're getting driven around in?

I'm on paternity leave for three months and my wife's job is 97% sitting on the phone talking to people in meetings or talking 1:1 with her boss. If I can get her setup in the back seat of the car we can go drive up to Tahoe, go all over the place, I can go day hiking with the kiddo, etc

But she needs a dedicated "office space" with adequate cell phone reception, and the back seat of the 7 is cavernous with the extended wheelbase

Also sometimes I'm waiting for somebody and play nintendo switch in the back seat and there's not a good place to mount the Nintendo, an Airline style seat back tray would help tremendously

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
can she not sit in the front seat of the car for some reason, or like... in the spacious back seat without additional infrastructure?

true road warriors know that infrastructure is for amateurs

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Hadlock posted:

I'm on paternity leave for three months and my wife's job is 97% sitting on the phone talking to people in meetings or talking 1:1 with her boss. If I can get her setup in the back seat of the car we can go drive up to Tahoe, go all over the place, I can go day hiking with the kiddo, etc

But she needs a dedicated "office space" with adequate cell phone reception, and the back seat of the 7 is cavernous with the extended wheelbase

Also sometimes I'm waiting for somebody and play nintendo switch in the back seat and there's not a good place to mount the Nintendo, an Airline style seat back tray would help tremendously

If that's the case and all you need is a tray for her to setup her laptop on

https://www.amazon.ca/KFZMAN-Automative-Foldable-Steering-Extendable/dp/B07VVLTLSQ

this is probably the cheaper option, but maybe not as sturdy?

but also many thousands less than a retrofit

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I was hoping that the wood trim piece came off and was replaced, yeah looks like it's a significant change, bummer

There's a foot stool accessory too for the passenger seat so you can really stretch out but that's probably major surgery

Also, hard no on sitting in the front seat, the back seat is way more spacious

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Hadlock posted:

I was hoping that the wood trim piece came off and was replaced, yeah looks like it's a significant change, bummer

There's a foot stool accessory too for the passenger seat so you can really stretch out but that's probably major surgery

Also, hard no on sitting in the front seat, the back seat is way more spacious

maybe you can find someone on one of the various BMW forums that has the executive rear seat package you need, and will trade you for the non-executive rear seat package?

stranger things have happened!

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Bro just get a generic tray.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Next you're gonna tell me to buy kirkland signature brand driving gloves :argh::hf::frogout:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Sorry we're being really flippant about this, be you haven't even told us the angle of your driveway. How can we possibly tell you what tray to get if we don't know that?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Sorry we're being really flippant about this, be you haven't even told us the angle of your driveway. How can we possibly tell you what tray to get if we don't know that?

I'm not sure how that's relevant but I'll check with my buildings valet and see what they say. From what I've seen it's mostly flat

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
Driveway angle is the only relevant factor in a BMW

It's why I abandoned my ancient 330ci, which sits now faceless

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
So that I'm understanding this correctly, your plan is to have your wife sit in the back seat of your car, working on an airplane table with a wifi hotspot, in the parking lot of a trailhead while you go hiking with your kids (as one example you gave)? Why not get a hotel or AirBNB for her to work from while you're on your trip.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Isn't that what they invented coffee shops for?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

KillHour posted:

Isn't that what they invented coffee shops for?
have you heard of a little thing called covid dude?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

ok but why is sitting in the front seat not allowed

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

ok but why is sitting in the front seat not allowed

ITS OUT OF THE QUESTION

THE BACK SEAT IS FAR ROOMIER!

Have you looked at the poster in question's gang tags?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Every coffee shop around me has put out a bunch of picnic tables for people to work at. It's pretty nice now that the weather is getting better.

I assumed that since they were hiking, they wouldn't be in the middle of a big city and would have somewhere outside to sit and work from. I guess that doesn't help when it's lovely out, but you probably wouldn't be hiking either.

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Have you looked at the poster in question's gang tags?

In what way do my gang tags imply that I don't believe in Covid?

KillHour fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 15, 2021

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

KillHour posted:

In what way do my gang tags imply that I don't believe in Covid?
Sorry, wasn't talking about you, I meant OP as in the guy who's trying to Drive Miss Daisy with the "Yes I want Coronavirus" and "Superspreaders" tags.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Sorry, wasn't talking about you, I meant OP as in the guy who's trying to Drive Miss Daisy with the "Yes I want Coronavirus" and "Superspreaders" tags.

lol I missed that. drat, I ruined a good joke - sorry.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
The front seat would suck because of the dashboard you can't move out of the way, duh.............rear seat office space supremacy. Whatever this tray is seems easier than finding new seats if you want an OEM option.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Hadlock posted:

I'm not sure how that's relevant but I'll check with my buildings valet and see what they say. From what I've seen it's mostly flat

Is it awkward for your valet that your wife is still in the backseat working while they park the car?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Is it awkward for your valet that your wife is still in the backseat working while they park the car?

Don't kink shame.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Hadlock you typically have cool and good ideas about sailboats and cars but what the gently caress lol

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm about as likely to perform major interior surgery as you are to replace that bulkhead

Also I don't have a parking valet, sorry to ruin anybody's fantasies. I am parked next to what looks like a brand new M5 though

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Keyser_Soze posted:

The front seat would suck because of the dashboard you can't move out of the way, duh.............rear seat office space supremacy. Whatever this tray is seems easier than finding new seats if you want an OEM option.

if i'm officing in the car the laptop is open on my lap, don't see how the dash has any effect on me

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

I rarely double emptyquote and rarely quote myself but

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Keyser_Soze posted:

that looks like the optional executive rear seating package for the latest 7 series, they did away with the airplane style seat backs and copied Mercedes/Range Rover with the swing out arm style tables

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Hadlock posted:

I'm about as likely to perform major interior surgery as you are to replace that bulkhead

Also I don't have a parking valet, sorry to ruin anybody's fantasies. I am parked next to what looks like a brand new M5 though
The guy that parks next to me just bought a new M240i which is exactly the same size as an E92 M3, at least according to what my valet tells me

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I've actually found that my local dealer has reasonable part prices. The new battery for the M5 was the same price as O'Reilly, and the stupid hood alarm switch was maybe four bucks more than on the internet, but I don't have to pay shipping. What is this nonsense?

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Bobby @ Strictly German gave me what appear to be 6 cylinder arms. He wanted me to return the old ones but my bushings are still in them, and also, what the gently caress good are 4 cylinder arms to him?
We're gonna go sailboat racing this morning and then swap everything over. Wish us luck, it is technically feasible to get the e30 back on the ground today.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Goddamn, BMW. $4100 for xDrive on the M3/M4? What are you smoking?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

KillHour posted:

Goddamn, BMW. $4100 for xDrive on the M3/M4? What are you smoking?

Bowls full of the finest coca leaf for those prices.

They will sell tons of them.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
I mean it’s already $2k to upgrade to xdrive on the regular g20’s and the m xdrive is a definite upgrade from that.

Did you really think it would be less?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I was hoping my build would stay under 90k...

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
drat sounds like you should just buy a better car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Who let you out of the attic?

*grabs broom*