Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

The Lord of Hats posted:

This testimony feels like a slam dunk. Obviously there’s more to the case, but the medical aspect seems like a closed case.

That last question/answer seemed devastating to the defense. I'm a little confused, did Nelson think that he would get a "it's theoretically possible" type answer from Dr. Rich?

For those who didn't see it:

Nelson:

quote:

But in terms of the combination. The, the drugs, every-, the high blood pressure. The..., take the paraganglioma out of it, right? The increase of adrenaline from uh, a struggle with officers. All of those things combined together, even in the absence of prone restraint, could have resulted in death. Yes or no, sir?

Dr. Rich:

quote:

Upon my review of the evidence of the facts of the case, I found no evidence to support that.

Nelson:

quote:

Fair enough, thank you.

E: VVVV Not sure if you're talking about my post or currently. Currently, it's the spark of life testimony. I expanded my post anyways to give people more context on what I'm referring to.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
What is going on

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Sjs00 posted:

What is going on

Not entirely sure of the prosecution's angle right now (sympathy?), but they've got George Floyd's younger brother on the stand.

E:
Seems like they're establishing Mr. Floyd's lifestyle as being active.

Velocity Raptor fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 12, 2021

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I like this breakdown of ability opportunity and intent and appreciate how cops blow thru it and conclude gun very quickly loving acab

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I'm not a lawyer, but isn't the defense of "they were frail, they were in poor health, there's no way to know this" not allowed because of the "eggshell skull rule"?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Solkanar512 posted:

I'm not a lawyer, but isn't the defense of "they were frail, they were in poor health, there's no way to know this" not allowed because of the "eggshell skull rule"?

Nothing actually matters for cops, the fact that anyone is plausibly in doubt of the outcome is evidence of that.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Solkanar512 posted:

That is apparently a civil court concept, but I saw a lawyer saying the concept will probably be ruled to apply in criminal cases if it is brought up.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
I'm hesitant to pass judgement on the defense's performance since I'm not a lawyer, nor do I have a law background, and because I realize that this is probably a tough case to defend, but can any law goons speak to whether Nelson is doing a good job? It seems quite a few of his questions (with this witness, at least) have been answered to the contrary of the point the defense was making.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Velocity Raptor posted:

I'm hesitant to pass judgement on the defense's performance since I'm not a lawyer, nor do I have a law background, and because I realize that this is probably a tough case to defend, but can any law goons speak to whether Nelson is doing a good job? It seems quite a few of his questions (with this witness, at least) have been answered to the contrary of the point the defense was making.

I think Nelson has an extremely poor case to argue and very few avenues to work with.

I also think that he has proven somewhat unprepared to work with those avenues. It may be unfamiliarity with NOT having the thin blue line lined up to defend their client. It's unfamiliar territory for most.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Kavros posted:

I think Nelson has an extremely poor case to argue and very few avenues to work with.

I also think that he has proven somewhat unprepared to work with those avenues. It may be unfamiliarity with NOT having the thin blue line lined up to defend their client. It's unfamiliar territory for most.

i think part of it is this is pretty black and white case, fucker murdered floyd and everyone in the world saw it and part of it is like you said, the cops not defending this guy to the death(in the courtroom).

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
Yeah a lot of interactions that make me react as if I'd just watched someone get physically bodied are mostly pertaining to Nelson attempting an introduction of doubt, which immediately gets thrown in his face by the assurance of police protocol, the unambiguous nature of the video and forensic evidence provided, or expert medical conclusion.

For weeks, an unbroken string of something along the lines of

quote:

Expert: as a person who went to Recognizing Murder School with a cross doctorate in knowing-how-lungs-work-or-do-not from the medical university of breathing science, I can categorically state that this murdering of the murder victim was via not letting the lungs work, which is ipso facto fatal QED quad erat nobreathingum. It was a fatal case of preventing normal lungage, whereupon the victim died of insufficient lungification of the oxygen, by Derek Chauvin, who did the murdering.

Nelson: I see. Do you think that it is at least possible that the not lung working could be because, perhaps, the supposed victim actually had other issues, or had perhaps left his lungs at home, or was no angel

Expert: no

Nelson: understandable, have a nice day

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Kavros posted:

Nelson attempting an introduction of doubt,

The thing is we're all expecting Chauvin to still get acquitted somehow regardless of the evidence, aren't we?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Rust Martialis posted:

The thing is we're all expecting Chauvin to still get acquitted somehow regardless of the evidence, aren't we?

I don't think we're expecting it, but we all think that it's at least plausible that it could happen.

WRT the defence, the best description of a defense attorney I've heard is that it doesn't matter if you're innocent, their job is to ensure that the prosecution can prove that you're guilty. There's only so much you can do as a defence attorney when not only is your defendant 100% guilty but even the cops are abandoning him.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Rust Martialis posted:

At this point, no, I am assuming he will get convicted. Probably of the lesser charges (2nd degree manslaughter, iirc?) But not the main one, and his sentencing will be lenient as gently caress.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Ravenfood posted:

At this point, no, I am assuming he will get convicted. Probably of the lesser charges (2nd degree manslaughter, iirc?) But not the main one, and his sentencing will be lenient as gently caress.

If he does actually get convicted, given just how heavy the bus he was pushed under is I wouldn't be surprised by a relatively harsh sentence too, just so that the city can wipe their hands and proclaim that police brutality is solved once and for all by this example.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Rust Martialis posted:

But you can still judge whether a lawyer is good or not, regardless of whether the jury convicts or not.

A lawyer can do a great job and still lose a case or a terrible job and still win it depending on the case and the jury.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Rust Martialis posted:

I was. I would no longer bet on it if I were forced to put down money and had to maybe not lose it.

I no longer think actual acquittal is very likely and the most Chauvin can hope for is a holdout blue lives type being deranged enough to hang the jury and force the trial to be repeated. Absent that, this has been an extraordinarily damning and consistent affair.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I really burned myself out on this trial by watching livestreams. I would not want to be on the jury, listening to hours and hours of medical talk, necessary as it was. I do think the prosecution proved the case very well.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

beejay posted:

I really burned myself out on this trial by watching livestreams. I feel bad for the jury. I do think the prosecution proved the case very well.

Yea, I'm curious on what the defense witnesses will be like. It seems hard to be able to unravel the case that the prosecution built.

From the direct examinations of these first two defense witnesses, it seems like Nelson is just trying to build doubt by vague descriptions and letting things linger. Although I know they were very limited in what they could talk about relating to Mr. Floyd's police interaction from 2019.

If it continues this way, I cannot imagine the jury will allow that doubt to creep in. Although I am not a lawyer, so for me :iiam:

Kalit fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 13, 2021

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Charlz Guybon posted:

But you can still judge whether a lawyer is good or not, regardless of whether the jury convicts or not.

A lawyer can do a great job and still lose a case or a terrible job and still win it depending on the case and the jury.

Nelson appears competent but not particularly well-prepared or shrewd. His client just has no avenues of defense, which tends to make a defense attorney look like a butthead.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Volmarias posted:

If he does actually get convicted, given just how heavy the bus he was pushed under is I wouldn't be surprised by a relatively harsh sentence too, just so that the city can wipe their hands and proclaim that police brutality is solved once and for all by this example.

Actually they will probably give him a lenient sentence and still declare police brutality is solved once and for all.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
the defense has some "expert" talking about how everything thing fuckface did was justified and how clearly floyd was violently resisting arrest.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
The defense lawyer looks like Tony Schiavone. I just figured it out after like a week.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the defense has some "expert" talking about how everything thing fuckface did was justified and how clearly floyd was violently resisting arrest.

CNN made the excellent point that the easy way to destroy his credibility would be to play the entire 9 minutes and 29 seconds tape, bringing attention to when George Floyd was motionless for 3 minutes, and then ask him if he would show to the recruits in the academy he teaches, if that was appropriate.

He would either say no and undermine his entire defense, or yes and completely destroy his credibility with the jury.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Sky Shadowing posted:

CNN made the excellent point that the easy way to destroy his credibility would be to play the entire 9 minutes and 29 seconds tape, bringing attention to when George Floyd was motionless for 3 minutes, and then ask him if he would show to the recruits in the academy he teaches, if that was appropriate.

He would either say no and undermine his entire defense, or yes and completely destroy his credibility with the jury.

Yeah that was a pretty devastating argument.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

mdemone posted:

Nelson appears competent but not particularly well-prepared or shrewd. His client just has no avenues of defense, which tends to make a defense attorney look like a butthead.
This seems the most likely. Chauvin plead not guilty thinking that the establishment would have his back, it doesn't, and now Nelson is forced to make all these meal mouthed well-technically-he-might-have-sort-of-could-have-maybe arguments hoping that one of them will stick

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Froghammer posted:

This seems the most likely. Chauvin plead not guilty thinking that the establishment would have his back, it doesn't, and now Nelson is forced to make all these meal mouthed well-technically-he-might-have-sort-of-could-have-maybe arguments hoping that one of them will stick

He tried to plea guilty to third-degree murder. But it had to be approved by the Justice Department because he wanted a guarantee he wouldn't be prosecuted by the Feds either. Bill Barr rejected it because it was still early and who knows what else would have cropped up.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Yeah the Lawyer is trying his best, but uh... he has nothing to work with.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

https://www.insider.com/derek-chauvin-trial-minneapolis-police-officer-quit-over-trial-reaction-2021-4

quote:

Ashley Collman
Mon, April 12, 2021, 3:25 AM
minneapolis police officer
A Minneapolis police officer monitoring a protest. Stephen Maturen/Getty Images
Insider spoke with a former Minneapolis police officer who quit days before Derek Chauvin's trial.

He said he believed rioting would break out at the close of the trial and he feared getting killed.

Chauvin's trial over George Floyd's death began March 29, and witnesses have been testifying.

Visit Insider's homepage for more stories.

A former Minneapolis police officer who quit the department days before the start of Derek Chauvin's trial said he did so fearing there would be riots in the city no matter the outcome.

The officer, a former sergeant, spoke on the condition that he not be named, but his identity is known to Insider.

The former officer said he was up for retirement soon and worried about his safety in what he predicts will be "riots and more destruction" when the jury reaches a verdict, which could happen this month. Chauvin's trial in Minneapolis began March 29.

"If Minnesota had the death penalty and Chauvin got it, people in Minneapolis are still going to riot," the officer said. "They're still going to burn the city down."

"I don't want to get myself hurt or killed," he said.

minneapolis burning
Protesters outside a burning building in Minneapolis on May 28. John Minchillo/AP
Chauvin is standing trial in the death of George Floyd, the Black man who died last May after Chauvin knelt on his neck for several minutes during an arrest. Chauvin was immediately fired from the Minneapolis Police Department, along with the three other officers who were present at the arrest.

Floyd's death reinvigorated the Black Lives Matter movement and prompted demonstrations both in Minneapolis and around the world. While the protests were largely peaceful, there were incidents of rioting, including multiple nights of violence in Minneapolis.

In an indication of the tensions between racial-justice protesters and the Minneapolis police, protests once again broke out in the city and surrounding areas on Sunday night following the news that a 20-year-old Black man had been fatally shot during a traffic stop.

Chauvin faces charges of second-degree unintentional murder, third-degree murder, and second-degree manslaughter. The trial for the other three officers, each charged with aiding and abetting second-degree murder and manslaughter, is scheduled to start later this summer.

An exodus at the Minneapolis PD
The former officer Insider spoke with said he was part of an exodus of officers from the department since Floyd's death.

In November, The Washington Post reported Chief Medaria Arradondo of the Minneapolis Police Department as saying that more than 100 officers had left the force since Floyd's death - more than double the number lost in a typical year. The Minneapolis Star Tribune put that number at more than 10% of the entire force.

george floyd protest
Demonstrators with signs honoring George Floyd at a protest outside Hennepin County Government Center in Minneapolis on March 28. Kerem Yucel/AFP via Getty Images
"The morale in the department is the lowest I've seen it in almost 30 years," the officer said.

He said another motivating factor for his exit was how police leaders had handled the fallout from Floyd's death, adding that he believed officers didn't feel supported by the administration.

"I've never seen such a weak form of leadership," he said.

He specifically took issue with the department's new guiding principle of "do no harm."

"People are afraid to do their jobs," he told Insider. "Nobody wants to use force in the department anymore," he added, saying it put officers at risk of getting hurt.

"There's no support from our leadership. We're a sinking ship, and I'm not going to be on it."

The former officer said Chauvin wasn't following protocol in kneeling on Floyd's neck, but said he believes Floyd died of a drug overdose.

At Chauvin's trial on Monday, a cardiologist testified that Floyd did not die of a heart attack or a drug overdose, but from a "cardio pulmonary arrest" caused by the "position that he was subjected to."

A Minneapolis city spokesman said he was "unable to discuss any aspects of the trial or case" because of a judicial mandate. The city now handles the police department's press inquiries after the city council voted to remove the department's public-information officer after Floyd's death.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Rust Martialis posted:

Honestly? Yeah, I'm still expecting this to be the case.
At most, he gets a slap on the wrist or some sort of way to weasel out of any actual consequence.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

They really are just crying that they can't kill people without consequence anymore.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They really are just crying that they can't kill people without consequence anymore.

That's the vibe I got for sure.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

quote:

"If Minnesota had the death penalty and Chauvin got it, people in Minneapolis are still going to riot," the officer said. "They're still going to burn the city down."

With how the police act it looks to me like Minnesota already has a death penalty, but only if you are a poc.

Maybe if they looked into why the people are rioting people in charge will finally understand that there isn't an equal set of standards based on race, but then that would be admitting they are at fault.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

So did the prosecutor get the nod from the police union to go ahead, or are they ending their career here?

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

The Lone Badger posted:

So did the prosecutor get the nod from the police union to go ahead, or are they ending their career here?

It's theater, jury will acquit regardless bc convicting is throwing your life away

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

The Lone Badger posted:

I mean, this is being managed at the state level, it’s not just some random local prosecutor. That being said, from a realpolitik perspective, I’m pretty sure the PD is just going to leave Chauvin out to dry.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SchnorkIes posted:

It's theater, jury will acquit regardless bc convicting is throwing your life away

There's a good question because honestly, even if they're throwing Chauvin to the wolves, horrible things are probably going to happen to the prosecution and/or jury anyway just to make clear this was a one time thing.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

SchnorkIes posted:

I would not be surprised if we see a hung jury or something but if you're going to post conspiracy theories it'd be nice for you to post some kind of proof.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

All of the things he complains about seem extremely good. gently caress that pig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

The Lone Badger posted:

Nah, this is out of their league. The AG of MN is Keith Ellison, formerly the Congressional Rep from the district that Ilhan Omar is from now. He quit to run for state AG and he's personally overseeing this case. If the cops tried to push him too hard they'd have investigators up their rear end looking for evidence of witness intimidation and racketeering.

Part of the reason that I'm not worried about the prosecution pulling any bullshit is that I don't think that Ellison would put up with it, and because I'm fairly certain that the governor also wants Chauvin breaking rocks in Oak Park Heights until he drops dead.