Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

It is, but you're already into the post game basically, this is one of those situations where you should try it out and report back!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
Combat Mechanics
MAA spreadsheet (slightly outdated for 1.3, you'll need to update light cav costs and for new dlc units)

Buildings are percentage based, so base stats matter. In particular, the best scaling normal buildings are Heavy Cav > Heavy Inf/Pikemen > Light Cav = Archers/Skirmisher, though the difference is very slight. Heavy Cav tends to suffer because their scaling buildings (regimental grounds/elephantry pens) are terrain-locked.

I don't think it's worth it to play around counters. It's important to stack buildings on your desired unit, and stacking mitigates the impact of counters anyway-- your enemy will need an equal size stack to counter. And if your enemy has a unit that counters multiple unit types, they'll counter both at full effectiveness, so the standard HI + Pike will be countered twice by a stack of Mubarizun.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
How important is it to consider the kinds of terrain you will be fighting in when selecting MAA? Also don't cavalry inflict extra casualties in the pursuit phase and if so does that mean one should keep around at least one stack of them?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Depends on what MaA you're using. With Heavy Cav you'll have a bad time if you try to fight in a swamp. With Armoured Foot it doesn't matter, because they have no terrain bonuses or penalties.

And the Pursuit stat is the thing that adds to enemy casualties; most cavalry do have it, but not only cavalry units do. But it's not super important to kill a load of enemies in the pursuit phase; you've already won the battle by that point (which almost always means you can keep winning them in the future), and it's better to just stack more attack and aim for a stack wipe in the skirmish phase.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

AnEdgelord posted:

How important is it to consider the kinds of terrain you will be fighting in when selecting MAA? Also don't cavalry inflict extra casualties in the pursuit phase and if so does that mean one should keep around at least one stack of them?

Pretty important. Certain MAAs become a lot better (or worse) when you consider terrain bonuses. Cavalry have the most variability due to terrain, the other units are relatively consistent.

Pursuit is all-or-nothing, you really want to hit a critical threshold for it to be good. If your total pursuit > 1.3 total enemy toughness, then if you win you stack wipe in the pursuit phase. It also ignores combat width. The problem is that light cav tend to have terrible combat ability, and at a certain point other MAAs can stackwipe via winning in the early combat phase.

scaterry fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 12, 2021

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That first link is immensely useful, thank you! Smaller stacks pulling extra weight for countering makes the all-knight idea sound less dumb, will give it a go.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

scaterry posted:

The problem is that light cav tend to have terrible combat ability, and at a certain point other MAAs can stackwipe via winning in the early combat phase.

This is exactly it, and also why Horse Archers and Chasseurs, with attack stats on par with Armored Footmen, are so god damned good.

Also following up on the Exclave Independence rules posts I was making the other night:

Sadly I did not think to take a better before picture, but here's a picture showing a huge chunk of Hungary that had been part of the HRE (most of it subject to the King of Lotharingia), and until very recently, the three county "County of Tabla Butii" had been a part of that exclave. Notably it was through Tabla Butii that the Translyvanian exclave had been connected to the Danube; it had otherwise been unconnected with the rest of the HRE for almost two centuries without splitting off.

I (the King of Ruthenia) had recently conquered those counties myself, and gave them to my son-in-law to hang onto. My character died shortly thereafter, and Tabla Butii was given independence by the Exclave Independence rule. I'm not sure why it fired for me and not the Emperor, given that we both had a riparian connection to it, but them's the rules I guess? :shrug:

Here's what the subrealm view for the HRE looked like. Lotharingia is a de jure vassal of the Empire (this is from the 1066 start), but the Upper Bosnia and it's single county ruler sure aren't. The King of Lotharingia didn't own any of that land in there either, they were all just vassals of his. Again, I have no idea why this hadn't been split off.

Conquering those three Tabla Butii counties does seem to have been the key though, within a year there was a succession and all of that area was released from the HRE, so that's something I guess. But I still don't know why the river counted for the Emperor and not for me, unless riparian connection has to be one river, and can't go river-ocean-river?

And then just to throw one more fun wrinkle into it, I take you back to the first image.

Keen eyed readers may have noticed that I also own the Kingdom of Jerusalem and environs. None of it directly, all held by my vassals. I held it before the succession that separated Tabla Butii. Is it because there's a naval connection (though one that uses a river)? Is it because I held the Kingdom of Jerusalem title itself? Either answer is deeply unsatisfying.

In conclusion Exclave Independence is a land of contrast needs improvement.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Apr 12, 2021

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Picked this up over the weekend and have been enjoying learning the new systems and interface (coming from ck2)

A few noob questions:
- what should I be aiming for with my vassal contracts? Do I just want to set them to scutage and as much taxes as I can?
- dread: not sure I grok the importance of this or how to gain it
- innovations to target early on, especially as cultural head with fascination (is it worth dipping into learning for scientific as a tribal trying to feudalize?) [my first non-Ireland game is in Poland — I’m on my second ruler (grandchild of the first) at around 915 and am desperately trying to get to empire size before confederate partition shatters the three kingdom titles I’m holding — I converted to Catholicism as well, which seems like a nice source of gold from the Pope) — I’m blocked by needing 70% of tribal innovations]
- tips for what my councilors should be doing — if I need control in counties that are owned by a vassal, should I be doing that? Pumping development in my capital (if not capped)? Elsewhere in my domain? Or should I be converting to my culture? Should I be focusing on converting counties with my chaplain (it’s very slow, like 6 years)? Not really sure what to do with my Spymaster — tried find secrets and golden obligations as my first ruler but seemed disappointing, folks usually didn’t have money
- any other tips and advice — PittTheElder’s posts up thread on lifestyle, legacy, and MaA were pure gold — thank you! (should I opt for Konni with their high pursuit over Armored Footmen? Sounds like no?)

alcaras fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Apr 13, 2021

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Dread puts AI characters into a state where they’re afraid of you, which prevents them from doing certain actions against you (I don’t know exactly which) and can cause them to agree to offers from you when they otherwise wouldn’t. You can tell they’re affected when they have a little whip icon. Different characters take different levels of dread to be afraid.

You gain it by being a horrible monster: primarily imprisoning, torturing, and executing people.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

alcaras posted:

- what should I be aiming for with my vassal contracts? Do I just want to set them to scutage and as much taxes as I can?

You can ignore it for most of the time. Most of your vassals are feudal and you won't get a lot of money from them anyway. It's more useful as an appeasing tool.

alcaras posted:

- dread: not sure I grok the importance of this or how to gain it

Dread makes people scared or terrified, including those outside of your realm. If they're scared they don't act against you even if they don't like you. There are Intrigue and Martial perks that help get dread and make it more useful. But again, you can ignore it for most part.

alcaras posted:

- innovations to target early on, especially as cultural head with fascination (is it worth dipping into learning for scientific as a tribal trying to feudalize?) [my first non-Ireland game is in Poland — I’m on my second ruler (grandchild of the first) at around 915 and am desperately trying to get to empire size before confederate partition shatters the three kingdom titles I’m holding — I converted to Catholicism as well, which seems like a nice source of gold from the Pope) — I’m blocked by needing 70% of tribal innovations]

Succession laws make your empire much more stable. After that, military buildings help a lot, then economic ones.

alcaras posted:

- tips for what my councilors should be doing — if I need control in counties that are owned by a vassal, should I be doing that? Pumping development in my capital (if not capped)? Elsewhere in my domain? Or should I be converting to my culture? Should I be focusing on converting counties with my chaplain (it’s very slow, like 6 years)? Not really sure what to do with my Spymaster — tried find secrets and golden obligations as my first ruler but seemed disappointing, folks usually didn’t have money

Vassals counties are their own problems. Raising control for them doesn't really help you. Pumping development is needed if you want to stop being tribal, in other cases I think you're better off getting money directly. Religious conversion is important, cultural one is kinda important too but you can ignore it for a while. There are even game rules making cultural conversion much slower for immersion purposes and it doesn't break the game.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The first thing I noticed when I fired up my Duke of Munu tutorial game is that the HRE was strangely not impossibly huge (in terms of levies) compared to where I was. I think I exceeded him around the time I unified Ireland, long before finishing Britain. Was unsure if I'm just more used to the game than I was when I tried out ck2, or if something funny was happening.

Well, like 200 years later I finally bothered to take kingdom of Germany off of him, and the largest duke's vassal contract was... something else. No screenshots, but it was ZERO levies+taxes (both!) with council seats guaranteed and title revocation protection. Mother. Fucker.

Basically I see this all the goddamn time, every vassal contract that I've not made myself but inherited from the AI tends to be a giant loving mess. It's subtle, but I'm pretty confident that it's one of the major factors in why the top level empires (Byzantium included) tend to be such wusses instead of terrifying neighbors.

edit: I'm actually thinking that this is probably rampant with your own dukes as well, they're letting random idiot counts get hooks on them and it's just not visible as human players probably tend to land new people as they grow upwards.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Apr 13, 2021

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Correction: one thing you should be shooting for with your vassal contracts is Forced Partition. It's more important in the late game where primogeniture and such start becoming available, but Forced Partition means, if a dude has 2 duchies and 2 heirs, his burgeoning mega-duchy splits in half.

On the other, of course, it's only your direct vassals that can join factions against you, so it might be harder to appease more vassals than it is to appease a few.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Pacifying unruly seems really easy this time around, maybe because of the dread mechanics? I know in ck2 getting vassals to love you was a very very big deal as it affected taxes/levies, and it seemed like they loved to uprise given any chance. But now between hooks, dread, and other crap it seems the vassals never really get off the ground. I can have most of my empire at -100 during a child succession and nobody lifts a finger. Peasant revolts and Crusades are a very different beast and are basically all the defensive wars I seem to wage.

I've been using Partition all game and it's been doing its thing, but in hindsight maybe letting the dukes consolodate would let them actually pay decent taxes, and maybe slow the border gore? I dno.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Serephina posted:

The first thing I noticed when I fired up my Duke of Munu tutorial game is that the HRE was strangely not impossibly huge (in terms of levies) compared to where I was. I think I exceeded him around the time I unified Ireland, long before finishing Britain. Was unsure if I'm just more used to the game than I was when I tried out ck2, or if something funny was happening.

Well, like 200 years later I finally bothered to take kingdom of Germany off of him, and the largest duke's vassal contract was... something else. No screenshots, but it was ZERO levies+taxes (both!) with council seats guaranteed and title revocation protection. Mother. Fucker.

Basically I see this all the goddamn time, every vassal contract that I've not made myself but inherited from the AI tends to be a giant loving mess. It's subtle, but I'm pretty confident that it's one of the major factors in why the top level empires (Byzantium included) tend to be such wusses instead of terrifying neighbors.

edit: I'm actually thinking that this is probably rampant with your own dukes as well, they're letting random idiot counts get hooks on them and it's just not visible as human players probably tend to land new people as they grow upwards.

This is a huge annoyance. You should have the option of just starting a contract over from scratch when you vassalize someone, subject to them rising up and all that like usual, but having to chip away at these things one change at a time is just so tedious.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

gently caress with a contract like that I’d just eat the tyranny and rebellion and fix it all.

Because otherwise it would take literal generations. You’d be untangling that for hundreds of years. Which is realistic I guess, but still annoying.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

alcaras posted:

This is generally what I do. The Levy contribution is levies, which are largely useless beyond having a large number to dissuade AIs from attacking you. Even if feudal vassals give you very little taxes, I'd still rather have the taxes.

alcaras posted:

- any other tips and advice — PittTheElder’s posts up thread on lifestyle, legacy, and MaA were pure gold — thank you! (should I opt for Konni with their high pursuit over Armored Footmen? Sounds like no?)

Konni are pretty good, but I have to admit I've never tried them. That pursuit stat is crazy, you'd probably be doing all wipes in every battle you won, but with 25 attack stat they won't help you win battles the same way Armored Foot would. But with a bunch of buildings in place, they wouldn't be dead weight or anything; I'd probably recommend using one or two stacks of this to complement a heavy foot based army.

In unrelated news, I seem to have run into a very unusual succession situation: I'm using Partition succession, but the game insists on making my youngest daughter my Player Heir rather than my older eligible one. My eldest living daughter and my son are monks ineligible to inherit, though before my eldest was sent to the church my middle daughter was set to be my player heir instead. Moreover the game wants to award nearly every title I have to the daughter who isn't my heir, including my capital county, which I have never ever seen before.

Anyone ever run into this before? Maybe some madness related to standing to lose my primary title in the election? I hate that I can't land my daughters even when they're set to inherit.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Apr 13, 2021

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
More noob questions (thank you for the answers!):

- Raiding. Worth it while I'm a tribal? I read on the wiki https://ck3.paradoxwikis.com/Warfare#Raiding that I can get development from pillaging feudal/clan county capitals if my ruler is leading the raid. Is this worth the effort to ramp development to 15 in my capital?

I've tried raiding a few times and the interface seems a bit confusing -- I move over territories with raiding on and with little torches on them but nothing seems to happen? How do I know where I can go raid and how much I'll make? The few times I've gotten it to work it's been like ... 20 gold ... which doesn't seem worth it at all, especially since I'd rather go to war and conquer new lands than raid. Maybe I'm missing something though? Or I should raid when I can't expand b/c I'm waiting on truces?

alcaras fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Apr 13, 2021

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

alcaras posted:

More noob questions (thank you for the answers!):

- Raiding. Worth it while I'm a tribal? I read on the wiki https://ck3.paradoxwikis.com/Warfare#Raiding that I can get development from pillaging feudal/clan county capitals if my ruler is leading the raid. Is this worth the effort to ramp development to 15 in my capital?

I've tried raiding a few times and the interface seems a bit confusing -- I move over territories with raiding on and with little torches on them but nothing seems to happen? How do I know where I can go raid and how much I'll make? The few times I've gotten it to work it's been like ... 20 gold ... which doesn't seem worth it at all, especially since I'd rather go to war and conquer new lands than raid. Maybe I'm missing something though? Or I should raid when I can't expand b/c I'm waiting on truces?

Raiding is incredibly powerful. You only get the events from it if you personally lead your raiding army. When you have a raiding army selected, it will have little torch icons on the map showing places that have already been raided, so go to other places. Capital holdings have a floor of 15 gold, non-capital baronies have a floor of 3 gold. They go up from there, but those are the minimum you'll receive from any given place.

Your armies have a loot meter that fills up as you raid, once it fills up you can't hold any more gold (although you can still get events), and you need to bring your army back to your own land to drop it off.

When your armies are in raiding mode, they will not reinforce. Be very wary of enemy armies, and feel free to run away. Losing soldiers also reduces the amount of loot you can hold.

One last thing unique to raiding armies. Once you start raiding a holding, you can tell your army to move to the next place to raid. They will finish raiding the current one before moving. This is great for queuing up your next target, but if you're expecting to run away from an army before you finish your looting you're going to have a bad time. I think you can ctrl-click to force move, but I always let the raid finish and deal with the battle so I can try and get one of the raid events.

I almost never take the development option during the raiding events, because gold + prestige is worth so much more. By the time I have the tech to move out of tribalism my capital has usually passively acquired enough development anyway. It's also trivial to just conquer somewhere with better development.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Thanks! Should I be raiding pagans? Christians? Anyone?

I didn't realize the torches were indicative of what was already raided ... thought it was what could be raided. Makes sense while moving there never seemed to let me raid! :blush:

Related question re: supply -- if my raiders are too big to fit in one army, but events only occur if my liege is leading the army ... should I:

1. Merge the armies and eat attrition from being over supply (seems like a bad idea?)
2. Micro manage the armies to move together / raid together and just only get events from one army (but can dogpile if we get attacked)
3. Only take the army with my leader and leave the others at home / disbanded

Relatedly, it seems like I can avoid supply based attrition if I siege down territories and slowroll across a map? Thought that doesn't seem to work for raiding? I presume I don't lose 5% of my raiding army for "moving into a hostile County that only borders other hostile Counties instantly causes the army to lose 5% of their troops"
https://ck3.paradoxwikis.com/Army#Supply_limit

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

alcaras posted:

- Raiding. Worth it while I'm a tribal?

Short answer, absolutely. Long answer (well, the other answer covered a lot of this but):

alcaras posted:

I read on the wiki https://ck3.paradoxwikis.com/Warfare#Raiding that I can get development from pillaging feudal/clan county capitals if my ruler is leading the raid. Is this worth the effort to ramp development to 15 in my capital?

It feels more like a handy side benefit to something you should be doing anyway - if you have a ruler suited to leading raids then there are plenty of benefits to doing so (traits, prestige, chance of getting in fights and gaining prowess, and, sure, ramping development too if you like. I tend to prefer it over the "extra gold/prestige" option on that event but I prioritize dev to an insane degree and your mileage may vary).

alcaras posted:

I've tried raiding a few times and the interface seems a bit confusing -- I move over territories with raiding on and with little torches on them but nothing seems to happen? How do I know where I can go raid and how much I'll make?

Holdings that have the torches displayed on them when you have a raiding army selected have already been raided recently and will give you nothing until the cooldown expires (5 years IIRC). Otherwise, the tooltip for the holding will tell you how much raiding it will give you (I wish there was, like, a mapmode for it but alas!)

alcaras posted:

The few times I've gotten it to work it's been like ... 20 gold ... which doesn't seem worth it at all,

Raiding other tribal holdings usually doesn't get you much, the real money is in hitting cities and temples (which are only available in feudal/clan realms). Of course, if you're not a culture that gets access to Longships/West African Canoes and all your neighbours are tribes then take what you can get.

alcaras posted:

Or I should raid when I can't expand b/c I'm waiting on truces?

Pretty much this. If you can't expand just yet for some reason and your other activities are on cooldown then it's worth picking on your weak neighbours when you can (if the strategic situation allows - raiding armies don't reinforce so if you've got strong neighbours to be afraid of then be careful not to overextend and lose too many troops to atrition/getting caught by a defending army).

Re your supply question, you can't occupy territory with an army set to raiding, so you can't mitigate the supply limit that way. Honestly of your options I would stick to 1 unless the supply situation is critical (remember that being over the supply limit just deducts from the army's supply storage, so there's a buffer period before dudes start starving) - especially since more men in an army means more loot you can carry.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 13, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah that's how it works with regular war, and with raiding that doesn't apply. You usually just have to eat the attrition, unless you have Longboats and then you can load into a nearby river and then disembark again, but it takes so long that it's usually not worth it. But armies rebuild so quickly (I think the base time is like 1 year? It's stupid) that it's not worth worrying about.

Raid whoever has money; take a good hard look at Constantinople.

And I usually just take a big mega stack. Having a few smaller ones spread out over the countryside is optimal, but I can't be bothered to do it.

And to disagree with Binge, I would take development whenever you can. If you need prestige, try and hunt down armies of the people you're raiding; all your Champions let you punch a lot harder than feudal rulers with their big armies, and you get huge amounts of prestige for defeating them.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Dread is a great mechanic for RP, and it's a useful tool for keeping vassals in line if they otherwise hate you. It also triggers favorable outcomes for intrigue events if you have enough of it.

A favorite example of this happened the other day, after my useless liege let a bunch of vikings raze my capital.

:black101: "Dear Duke Blorange, we have your son. It will take 100 gold for us to release him unharmed."

*fabricates hook for free*
:chef: "Dear Jarl rear end in a top hat, release my son or my agents will end you. Have a nice day."

:black101: "...ok"

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

And to disagree with Binge, I would take development whenever you can. If you need prestige, try and hunt down armies of the people you're raiding; all your Champions let you punch a lot harder than feudal rulers with their big armies, and you get huge amounts of prestige for defeating them.

Yeah, I can definitely see this as a valid choice. I just personally find it really easy when I'm done with being a tribe to find some existing feudal land to go take over and settle in. Probably because I tend to prioritize the various mines/special buildings as a feudal ruler, so my capital often ends up in one of those locations.

On a side note, looks like there are still a couple of bugs in this game:

The tooltips were all weird as well, but the ! option is the only one that didn't delete my newly created runestone.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

Anyone ever run into this before? Maybe some madness related to standing to lose my primary title in the election? I hate that I can't land my daughters even when they're set to inherit.
Hmm, strange. My guess is that the primary heir screen is bugged, which sometimes happens when you disinherit people via monkhood, and that your actual primary heir is still the middle child. Can you check whether the middle child is inheriting the realm capital/primary duchy?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

My ruler actually just died, and the succession happened exactly as the Succession Tab said it would, with the middle child indeed inheriting the primary duchy and realm capital; I got the secondary duchy, the one county within it, and nothing else.

Interestingly if I created a Kingdom level title I would play as the older eligible heir, and if I destroyed it I would play as the younger. :iiam:

Actually the first time I've seen something truly bizarre happen with succession in this game.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Oh no, creating a Custom Empire instead of forming Southern Baltic Empire means that now, once I've conquered enough land to form SBE on its own... Forced Partition means my second son will create and own the remnants of the Southern Baltic Empire outside the Custom Empire I created.

Creating SBE and making it primary and then destroying the Custom Empire title to see if that'll work. I shouldn't have created it in the first place... Yeah nope, I still see the decision to create the Custom Empire which means it'll get re-created with Forced Partition. ugh.

Fortunately(?) my first son died so now my second son is the heir, so it's a race to swap from Forced Partition to Partition before then (and only have one Empire title). Which means I need to go feudal... learning those innovations ASAP! Or maybe if I "United the West Slavs" that'll get me two innovations and set all kingdoms to the primary title... maybe that'll work?

E: unite the west Slavs made all my kingdoms de jure under my primary title. SBE still exists but has no land associated with it. Seems harmless. And finally converted to feudal from tribal!

alcaras fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 14, 2021

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

PittTheElder posted:

It looks like inheritance is working correctly, it's just that you'll assume control of a minor character. Any reason why the middle daughter would be ineligible for player control? Dynasty, inheriting republics/bishopries, etc?

edit: whoops too late. Yea it REALLY sounds like the middle daughter inherited a duke-level title that took precedence (ie her primary title) and wasn't something the player is allowed to be.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Apr 14, 2021

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Completed my first full playthrough, as Leon - my failson whom I tried to get killed in the crusades not only survived but somehow was the one to mostly kick the Moors out of Iberia. His grandson finally ate up the rest of the smaller Christian kingdoms while his dukes went hog-wild conquering most of the Maghreb for him. A couple of generations of peace and prosperity followed, before I got bored and converted to Adamitism.

Once I lost all the crusades, my weird naked sex cult survived as "Spain" in the hills of Algeria until the game ended in 1453. I wound up getting like 25 achievements in one playthrough, except, oddly enough, the one for lasting until 1453 which didn't seem to trigger in Steam.

A+ game will play obsessively again.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Serephina posted:

It looks like inheritance is working correctly, it's just that you'll assume control of a minor character. Any reason why the middle daughter would be ineligible for player control? Dynasty, inheriting republics/bishopries, etc?

edit: whoops too late. Yea it REALLY sounds like the middle daughter inherited a duke-level title that took precedence (ie her primary title) and wasn't something the player is allowed to be.

Nah she was absolutely eligible to be a player character (based on the fact that if I created a Kingdom level title she would instantly become my Player Heir). I think it's a bug related to losing my primary title in the election.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Just realised I wasted a bunch of time going for a bunch of achievements because Ironman doesn't save between new playthroughs, great stuff.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Any good mods people are using? I found one that adds a dozen more inheritable traits, some good, some bad, some kinda neutral that I like. None of them are hugely impactful, but it adds some more color to spouse shopping.

I'm still playing on from the Ireland tutorial but will probably start another game with a random ruler and try just rolling with the punches more. I sort of understand things a bit better now so it won't feel as bad to save scum before trying something with unknown consequences.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I inherited as a homosexual character, and my rear end in a top hat brother blackmailed me for a strong hook, because Asatru considers it a crime.

In response I Varangian invaded Qadiz and took over and converted to Muwallidism, which has same sex relations: accepted. But he still has the hook on me even though the secret is no longer a big deal? Why can't I just come out now and get out of being hooked?

I conquered part of spain for this?!

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Ok, so I just swapped to Feudal. It's about 990 AD.

How do I make money? I was swimming in cash as a Tribal and now I am not.

Going to war just drains my coffers -- had a failed Holy War against Hungary and am now 4500 gold in debt, for example.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Where's your money going? I try to avoid having army related deficits by fielding smaller armies, plus there's a lot of good discounts to be had in the lifestyle trees.

Are there any mods that turn Clan government into something the AI understands? It'd be nice to see the Islamic world hold its ground for once.

e: holy poo poo I just realized the problem with exclave independence says it fires "at peace on succession". So if you're at war you're just immune from exclave independence? It really needs to be "exclaves are removed if not part of your de-jure territory or connected by a limited naval path while at peace" on a yearly cadence

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 14, 2021

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Albino Squirrel posted:

I wound up getting like 25 achievements in one playthrough, except, oddly enough, the one for lasting until 1453 which didn't seem to trigger in Steam.

I had the same thing happen in the one game I played to the end. Figure I'll get it eventually if I ever finish another play through prob when they make the Emperor level stuff more interesting/less certain.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

PittTheElder posted:

e: holy poo poo I just realized the problem with exclave independence says it fires "at peace on succession". So if you're at war you're just immune from exclave independence? It really needs to be "exclaves are removed if not part of your de-jure territory or connected by a limited naval path while at peace" on a yearly cadence

But I like my Spanish winter palace in Alexandria

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

PittTheElder posted:

Nah she was absolutely eligible to be a player character (based on the fact that if I created a Kingdom level title she would instantly become my Player Heir). I think it's a bug related to losing my primary title in the election.

If you have an ineligible title, but also have something above it, you'll just get the whole 'holding disabled' warning as you're the wrong type. The title above it keep you in feudal while the city/church goes inactive, and there are duchy-level city/church titles.

There may have been something else going on, but what you've described is consistent with the above.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

alcaras posted:

Ok, so I just swapped to Feudal. It's about 990 AD.

How do I make money? I was swimming in cash as a Tribal and now I am not.

Going to war just drains my coffers -- had a failed Holy War against Hungary and am now 4500 gold in debt, for example.

Usually I have the opposite problem. Tons of troops and no money as tribals and lots of money and no troops as feudal

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

No troops and lots of money is a good problem, you can use your money to buy actually good troops!

Serephina posted:

If you have an ineligible title, but also have something above it, you'll just get the whole 'holding disabled' warning as you're the wrong type. The title above it keep you in feudal while the city/church goes inactive, and there are duchy-level city/church titles.

There may have been something else going on, but what you've described is consistent with the above.

Nope, no such warning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

PittTheElder posted:

Where's your money going? I try to avoid having army related deficits by fielding smaller armies, plus there's a lot of good discounts to be had in the lifestyle trees.

I have 6x 5/5 MaA regiments. Maybe I should cut those back? They came over from Tribal, when they just cost prestige.

And raised (with 5x 5/5 MaA):

Should I be tuning to be breaking even when they're raised?

alcaras fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 14, 2021