Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1367417097517637646

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Mister Facetious posted:

Cronenburg did that for me.

Speaking of the surreal, Shadows House is... you know, I don't know how to describe it.

Shadows House is supposed to be a bit spooky and it's only gonna get spookier and maybe a bit horrifying

Gotta have the actual link to the tweet to embed properly
https://twitter.com/katuwo___/status/1367417097517637646

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Brutal Garcon posted:

Wait, I've got much better replies than that

:yeah:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/_tmfly_/status/1381513086058725378

'just barely submitted this chapter's draft in time! on an unrelated note, i've played 100 hours of monster hunter.'

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/MahjongSoul_EN/status/1381441950025351169

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Brutal Garcon posted:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Brutal Garcon posted:

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
The way the main character of Sakamoto Days looks and talks through thought bubbles makes me thing of Garfield

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

alright so i have now watched all of ex-arm

even if it had A-class animation, lusciously painted backgrounds, and superb direction, it would still be a mediocre-to-bad sci-fi anime (so I guess i'm saying I have no interest in reading the manga even if the quality is better there)

it was kind of like a high school kid writing his first sci-fi story after reading the back cover to the VHS of ghost in the shell, and he had also just played metal gear solid and went to make dinner during the ending

there are multiple characters that turn traitor that just don't matter, like it's not like they were this lovable character you grew attached to, and their sudden change doesn't really impact the plot. one character is being controlled by Beta (the antagonist) but it has no impact on the story whatsoever as he sheds that body immediately after discovery, and there's only one point in the whole season where that character attempted any kind of shenanigans, which was right in the final arc. one character is unceremoniously killed in a 5 second flashback where they go "by the way, this character died" and you're like oh no.. i guess... they had some sort of leadership role... that we didn't see much of

there are no real heady concepts here, as the story's final arc where all the messages are meant to be conveyed are the most basic "humans like war" "NO! humans also love!" back and forth. all the while a really long, really bad JRPG final boss fight is happening. and I mean JRPG final boss as it literally has three phases with different designs and it's clear that this studio's only past pedigree is in doing support work for video games.

in the end i was mostly seeing if, by the end of production, maybe at least one of the people working on the show would have worked out how to make the rigs emote. there is a hand-drawn character that changes expressions at least once per shot, in the final episode, although the hand-drawn art is still incompetently composited into the shot, as she zooms and pans at a different speed than the 3d characters. but hey, they actually tried to animate her hair blowing in the wind, and the person who did that probably got paid $10 if they're lucky for that animation loop before being shown the door

i had wondered if this would be a Knack-type situation where people ironically enjoy it to the point that it has a level of popularity that tricks the production companies into funding a second season, but there's no way in hell. just too many quality anime in the winter for anyone to even give this show any atttention

so i guess that's a good thing. but we'll probably not have another production on a level this bad for a while. i hope the next time it happens it's a fully hand-drawn disaster

Did anyone at Crunchyroll actually watch this trainwreck as it was coming together? I have no idea how these collaborations work.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Did anyone at Crunchyroll actually watch this trainwreck as it was coming together? I have no idea how these collaborations work.

"no refunds"

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Imagine being worse at funding anime than Netflix, who has actually commissioned decent stuff.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Crunchyroll HAS been on the production committee for good stuff, like A Place Further than the Universe and Yuru Camp. Why those weren't marketed as CRUNCHYROLL PRESENTS and Ex-Arm was....

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

they created that branding like a year ago so stuff from before then doesn't have it even if it was a co-production

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Let's Make a Mug Too is pretty fun, and the bonus live action stuff with the VAs is great.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Mister Facetious posted:

Let's Make a Mug Too is pretty fun, and the bonus live action stuff with the VAs is great.

smh why are you watching the declining birthrates anime

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Aurora posted:

Its fine. The finale episode will be Lets Make a Golem, solving all problems.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Huzzah! posted:

Its fine. The finale episode will be Lets Make a Golem, solving all problems.

Insert a gif of my (very stereotypical) childhood rabbi’s eyes narrowing.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Aurora posted:

Probably sentimentality. I remember being four and my mother taking me to her pottery classes.

We even made a bowl together; I decorated the outside (It broke when I was five).

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Huzzah! I have gotten my first vaccine shot!

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Grouchio posted:

Gratz

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/mayo_moyo/status/1381586687726288899

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Reminded me that I need to find a new lock screen pic.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Grouchio posted:

Just got my second!
Woo!
Time to ... watch more anime.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Subaru really is the best character.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Facetious posted:

Reminded me that I need to find a new lock screen pic.
:3:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Y/N?

I'm open to suggestions as long as it's ~19.5:9

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Apr 13, 2021

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Julias posted:

Subaru really is the best character.

:hai:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i like the contrast between crim just playing the game because he wants to relax outside of work and silver knight taking the game so incredibly seriously that he literally has breakdowns and throws fits at others for making fun of him and not taking things as seriously as he does or giving him all the tools to doxx people for cheating at it, and subaru just being like "uh wait man i was doing this cause running an honorable knight gang was fun and let me meet people i don't want to actually arrest people in real life i'm shutting this down right now"

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Help I cant stop reading trashy smut manga

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The Colonel posted:

i like the contrast between crim just playing the game because he wants to relax outside of work and silver knight taking the game so incredibly seriously that he literally has breakdowns and throws fits at others for making fun of him and not taking things as seriously as he does or giving him all the tools to doxx people for cheating at it, and subaru just being like "uh wait man i was doing this cause running an honorable knight gang was fun and let me meet people i don't want to actually arrest people in real life i'm shutting this down right now"

Silver Knight is the one power-tripper every free company/guild has, it's very accurate

Violet_Sky posted:

i see no problem as long as you're enjoying yourself, op

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Violet_Sky posted:

same but webtoons

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
i spent so many coins tonight :negative:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Violet_Sky posted:

That's perfectly fine! Just try something different here and there so you don't burn yourself out if it's something you enjoy.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

When anime characters are comically bad at cooking and produce food that glows purple or something, what do you think is meant to be wrong with it? Because it's clearly not bland.

... I want to try purple anime stew.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Mixing up salt with sugar makes it go purple, everyone knows this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Brutal Garcon posted:

When anime characters are comically bad at cooking and produce food that glows purple or something, what do you think is meant to be wrong with it? Because it's clearly not bland.

... I want to try purple anime stew.

emptying a bottle each of shochu and kewpie into purple cabbage, then throwing in plums and eggplant with taro...