Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

How are u posted:

Biden has 10 accusers? Reade is the only one I've ever heard of.
I think it's including people with accusations of inappropriate touching or behavior outside of the actual assault Reade reported.

V Oh, maybe I was wrong. V

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

How are u posted:

I think they're making a comparison with Cuomo.

One accuser: smear her as a Russian asset, a bomb-throwing anarchist, a sexist BernieBro, etc

Ten accusers: can't do that, punt it over to a committee, shrug and say it's in their hands now, make sure the committee doesn't recommend impeachment, :shrug: whaddaya gonna do we followed the rules and couldn't get it done so it's impossible! (What no we can't use our prerogative to draft and vote for impeachment, we already handed it over to a committee it's out of our hands!)

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Oh got it. Yeah with 10 accusers there is really no denying Cuomo is a creep who has to go. There is always a pattern.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

How are u posted:

Reade is the only one who accuses Biden of outright sexual assault, but he has a well documented history of being inappropriate with women, on par with the Cuomo allegations, I'd say.

All the Women Who Have Spoken Out Against Joe Biden

Harris: 'I believe' Biden accusers

quote:

Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.) said Tuesday that she believes women who say they felt uncomfortable after receiving unwanted touching from former Vice President Joe Biden.

"I believe them and I respect them being able to tell their story and having the courage to do it," Harris said at a presidential campaign event in Nevada.

The California senator added that Biden will need to decide for himself whether to run for president.

"He's going to have to make that decision for himself. I wouldn’t tell him what to do," Harris said.

In recent days, several women have come forward to allege that Biden has touched them inappropriately.

Former Nevada state lawmaker Lucy Flores, a Democrat, made the first accusation last week in an essay in New York magazine's The Cut. On Monday, Amy Lappos told the Hartford Courant that Biden also touched her inappropriately at a 2009 fundraiser in Connecticut.

Two additional women, Caitlyn Caruso and D. J. Hill, came forward Tuesday, sharing their experiences with The New York Times.

Note that the above story is from 2019, before Reade came forward.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah maybe, the New York Times printed that article attacking her character and smearing her with reports from her landlords and what the gently caress ever, but that was back during the primary, so maybe the character assassination was just business for them.

And I should be clear, I'm not talking about literally every Democrat here, plenty of people believed Reade, didn't want Biden to get nominated, and fell in line to beat Trump, so they don't have any psychological need to prove to themselves that Reade is a liar and a Russian agent and a BernieBro etc. A lot of people around here (like you I'm pretty sure) were like "welp he's the nominee, that loving sucks".

Just talking about the people and institutions that backed him for the nomination, ignored all his very public harassment of various women, attacked Flores with standard rape-culture arguments like "if she didn't want him smelling her hair why is she giving him the Christian Side Hug in this selfie", attacked Reade as a liar right out the gate, etc.

Just to be clear, the ones that knowingly held their nose and voted for a rapist anyway after they decided they believed Tara Reade are even worse than the annoying shits that have a pathological need to lie to themselves and gaslight everyone else about things.

John_A_Tallon fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 12, 2021

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Cuomo is the one with ten accusers, I'm just pointing out how the thought process handles one dismissible voice vs. enough that dismissing them all becomes too ridiculous

although it's always interesting to see just where they draw that line

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

although it's always interesting to see just where they draw that line

n accusers is a controversy, but we need 2n+1 accusers and then Cuomo is done

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

n accusers is a controversy, but we need 2n+1 accusers and then Cuomo is done
Hilbert's paradox of the Democrat rapist

John_A_Tallon posted:

Just to be clear, the ones that knowingly held their nose and voted for a rapist anyway after they decided they believed Tara Reade are even worse than the annoying shits that have a pathological need to lie to themselves and gaslight everyone else about things.

I think this is the only thing you've posted in this thread that I disagree with you on. The former are odious cowards who knowingly voted for a rapist because they were scared Trump was going to send the proud boys to their house or whatever but at least they acknowledge Biden is a rapist and that rape is a bad thing but they were too scaredpragmatic to draw a line. The latter, I think, represent an actual malign influence on those around them and society at large: they're denying rape to assuage their own feelings and that, in whatever small way, contributes to rape denial in society as a whole. The creep logic that's used to excuse Biden or Cuomo worms it way into peoples' brains and will be redeployed when the person doing the raping is a celebrity they like or a friend or anyone they'd rather not think is a rapist.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Folks may disagree, but it is clear to me that democracy itself was on the line in the 2020 election, and I think Trump and the Republicans' actions in the lame-duck period that culminated in an actual literal violent coup attempt bear that out. I couldn't ever hold a 2020 vote for Biden against anybody.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Hilbert's paradox of the Democrat rapist

I think this is the only thing you've posted in this thread that I disagree with you on. The former are odious cowards who knowingly voted for a rapist because they were scared Trump was going to send the proud boys to their house or whatever but at least they acknowledge Biden is a rapist and that rape is a bad thing but they were too scaredpragmatic to draw a line. The latter, I think, represent an actual malign influence on those around them and society at large: they're denying rape to assuage their own feelings and that, in whatever small way, contributes to rape denial in society as a whole. The creep logic that's used to excuse Biden or Cuomo worms it way into peoples' brains and will be redeployed when the person doing the raping is a celebrity they like or a friend or anyone they'd rather not think is a rapist.

We may be placing similar value on how malignant and awful the latter are. I weigh the former more harshly than most people would because I believe that cowardice allows malignancy to fester.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

That's fair

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

John_A_Tallon posted:

We may be placing similar value on how malignant and awful the latter are. I weigh the former more harshly than most people would because I believe that cowardice allows malignancy to fester.

"All it takes for evil to triumph is that good people do nothing" but phrased a bit differently, and seems like the crux at many of the criticisms levied at the Democratic party about this subject!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

John_A_Tallon posted:

Just to be clear, the ones that knowingly hold their nose and voted for a rapist anyway after they decided they believed Tara Reade are even worse than the annoying shits that have a pathological need to lie to themselves and gaslight everyone else about things.

Maybe.

Full disclosure: I did that. I had to wrestle with my conscience over that and for a while I was pretty sure I would vote Green because it's not like my one vote even matters. But as the polling tightened and Trump was openly telling Nazis who want me dead to "stand by" I lost my nerve and voted for him even though I 100% believe he did it.

Maybe I'm thinking about it the wrong way, but it seems to me that the issue isn't individual votes, it's these systems which protect powerful men from consequences and even manage democracy to ensure we only have the choice of which representative of the ruling class gets to run the country.

Huge systems from the corporate media to the political parties had already decided that powerful men are allowed to rape, that they would put two rapists on the ballot and make us choose, and that not voting for either still means one of them wins anyway.

I can't opt out of that system because whoever is president has power over me whether I vote for them or not, so I find ordinary people's individual votes within a system rigged for a rapist to win anyway a lot less frustrating than individuals who go out of their way to support and defend the system, because they help lend legitimacy to the systems that turn around and protect rapists.

Like, we couldn't hold rapists accountable last November because one of them was going to win that's bad. But how insane is it that we also couldn't hold Biden accountable in the primary when a non-rapist could have won. And we also can't hold him accountable now when there's a Democratic VP who can take over without letting a republican win. And we can't hold Cuomo accountable when there's a Democratic Lt Gov who can take over, etc. We can't hold Bill Clinton accountable and he hasn't been in office for 20 years, one prominent Democrat even tried, ever, to hold him accountable by being like "hm maybe we should rethink our association with this guy and how we defended him from his accusers" and she became persona non grata immediately and the party crowded her out and pushed every moderate woman Democrat primary candidate except for Gillibrand

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

How are u posted:

Folks may disagree, but it is clear to me that democracy itself was on the line in the 2020 election, and I think Trump and the Republicans' actions in the lame-duck period that culminated in an actual literal violent coup attempt bear that out. I couldn't ever hold a 2020 vote for Biden against anybody.

Every election I can remember has been "the most important election of our lives." You can certainly make a case that this was actually true in 2020, but do you imagine that it won't also be true in 2024 and beyond? Do you think the GOP nominee will be less of a fascist than Trump (assuming it's not just Trump again)? I can understand this rationale, but it can easily be used to paper over any and all Dem failings because they'll always be facing off against a Republican.

To be clear, I blame Biden primary voters and the DNC apparatus a lot more than Biden GE voters, but I do think they have a responsibility to reckon with their choice now that the dust has settled.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Lester Shy posted:

To be clear, I blame Biden primary voters and the DNC apparatus a lot more than Biden GE voters, but I do think they have a responsibility to reckon with their choice now that the dust has settled.

Considering the polling from 2020 showed that, at the time, 55% of Democrats thought the accusation was not credible to begin with (only 20% reported that they did believe it was credible), I doubt there's going to be much in the way of reckoning.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

How are u posted:

Considering the polling from 2020 showed that, at the time, 55% of Democrats thought the accusation was not credible to begin with (only 20% reported that they did believe it was credible), I doubt there's going to be much in the way of reckoning.

I mean yea that's the problem right, women who accuse powerful men are dismissed as "nuts and sluts" pretty much reflexively. Unless it's politically convenient for one side to believe her (Dr Ford's case), they won't. You either need a photo of him doing it (Franken), or so many accusers it's impossible to disbelieve them all (Cuomo) and the jury's still out on whether the latter is actually enough.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 13, 2021

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

This really is it, and why we were treated to pages of "well technically"s and "sure it was inappropriate, but"s: some people understand politics to primarily be the actions undertaken by a government or within a government. Politics is the thing Joe Biden does when he signs an EO or congress passes a bill and everything down the chain: advocates, lobbyists, procedural processes, etc. etc. The only real meaningful interaction any "regular" person can have with this realm is their vote. It's so important because it actually means something and does something, even if it's a small thing, and because of that some part of the actions and responsibilities of the people or parties you vote for is invested in you. They are there because of you, after all.

People who think like this then look at the GOP and, obviously and correctly, see them as evil. Their voters, ultimately responsible for them getting to office, share in that evil. They're bad people who do bad things, they love evil, and so vote for people that do evil. There might be a few exceptions here (lack of education teaching you the good opinions, say) but this is broadly what they believe. If they weren't bad people, they wouldn't put bad people in office to do bad things.

Unlike me!

I'm, obviously, a good person. Sure, I make the occasional mistake (who doesn't!), but ultimately have the right opinions and believe the right things. I don't think women should be raped, for one -- obviously! -- who could argue with this? I'm a good person, with correct opinions, so I have a moral responsibility to do everything in my power to stop the evil people and their bad voters, so I vote for Democrats. Maybe I even consciously identify as a Democrat or a liberal to really highlight (to myself) the degree to which I am on the side of the angels.

But wait a minute, the guy I voted for raped somebody!

This isn't good. I can't wash my hands of the vote I cast for him because a) voting is the most important political act I can make, and b) if voting doesn't confer responsibility then I have no mechanism by which to blame the horrible awful chuds for Trump. I might have to do something really uncomfortable like consider class, which would really upset my comfortable worldview and at any rate Marxism is a fake ideology that's not pragmatic and doesn't even actually exist according to Snopes.
Well okay, what can I do? First off, I can simply say that whoever is accusing a Democrat of being sexually inappropriate is lying. She didn't get a degree or whatever and look here, she was interviewed by Russia Today. This clearly means that she's a lying fraud who is doing this for clout and because she loves Vladamir Putin, history's greatest monster. She just wants to see our proud democracy brought low. She's the dang joker.

Oh wait a minute, there are ten accusers?

Okay well look this is obviously bad. We all agree. This is just an unfortunate and painful exception in a party who is otherwise committed to women's safety: look here, they're forming a committee! Who could argue with that? That's Doing Something, for sure. I'm trusting in The Process. I have to, because that's what I voted for, and I don't vote for evil bad things, I vote for the good things. I'm a Democrat. And besides, in the end it doesn't really matter if some democrats are bad people, we still need them there. We can't just get rid of the rapists. Do you want Trump to come back? Do you want New York to burn to the ground? There's only one way to accomplish anything and that's following the rules exactly.

Anyway this is why rapists like Biden or Cuomo or whoever else will continue to thrive in the Democratic Party just as much as they do in the Republican Party because Democrat voters can't blame the party for anything Democrats do. If they start to, the whole thing falls apart. This was probably mostly -- but not completely -- true until Trump, who really is the greatest gift to the Democrats because now he's the enemy at the gates that's going to bring about the fourth reich unless we toe the Democrat line exactly.

This post is a masterpiece, and explains so much about liberals, even beyond the issue waving away sexual assault, because it's extremely applicable to other wave-aways.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Lester Shy posted:

Every election I can remember has been "the most important election of our lives." You can certainly make a case that this was actually true in 2020, but do you imagine that it won't also be true in 2024 and beyond? Do you think the GOP nominee will be less of a fascist than Trump (assuming it's not just Trump again)? I can understand this rationale, but it can easily be used to paper over any and all Dem failings because they'll always be facing off against a Republican.

Yeah.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Willa Rogers posted:

This post is a masterpiece, and explains so much about liberals, even beyond the issue waving away sexual assault, because it's extremely applicable to other wave-aways.

Seriously. Absolute monster of a post

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

thank you both.
I think it ultimately is the foundational and most pernicious piece of political fiction both sides tell themselves: the other side is clearly evil, so we must be the good ones. Liberals get some credit for recognizing what is blindingly obvious: that the GOP are, in fact, the evilest party. Unfortunately that doesn't make the Democrats "good" anywhere outside of the minds of the people that need them to be good for their own self-image.
I think due to how constrained our political horizons are and what we think "politics" is means you can't work your way out of that trap without some sort of external viewpoint, which is to say: class analysis. The work is cut out for us I guess.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

socialsecurity posted:

This seems like quite the stretch from a single tweet from some rando.

https://twitter.com/NancyLeeGrahn/status/1356752356528984067
https://twitter.com/jonathanchait/status/1379548004739350533
https://twitter.com/EdGreenberger/status/1376639228608675842
https://twitter.com/IsaacDovere/status/1376152014778986500
https://twitter.com/NickFalacci/status/1374504990132162564
https://twitter.com/robertcaruso/status/1371899130084265986
https://twitter.com/RobGeorge/status/1370791614097018880
https://twitter.com/ChrisDJackson/status/1366588039682805761
https://twitter.com/conchitaleef/status/1366464092647559170
https://twitter.com/davidmweissman/status/1366408247494778886
https://twitter.com/davidmweissman/status/1366412022796193794
https://twitter.com/SamWangPhD/status/1254379151307440128

and so on and so forth *sniff*

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

there is of course a lot of vicious tara reade smears and hate post-election if you go outside verified accounts, which is the natural fallout of how liberal media chose to cover the tara reade story which absolutely included the russian disinformation angle

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There are plenty of people whose primary contribution to this thread has been "oh wow reade likes putin isn't that weird makes you wonder not saying anything just saying wink wink"

There is quite clearly a very strong current of thought that cannot abide the idea that their preferred set of rich rear end in a top hat politicians might do many of the same bad things as the other set of rich rear end in a top hat politicians.

See also: we must be thankful that president biden is very humanely putting children in cages, unlike when the evil president trump does it.

There is no real concern about the issues, not when it comes down to it, it is entirely about the people and the branding.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 13, 2021

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Please keep this thread on track to things like Tara Reade, the Cuomo accusations, the general state of the metoo movement, or even Gaetz's sex trafficking allegations or whatever else comes up

Please do not do deep dives into what random twitter losers think. Please have your discussions about what twitter idiots think on twitter.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
on a non IK note, I'm skeptical that there's anything particularly about liberals or whatever that is leading to people choosing to vote for someone accused of rape when literally both sides just had the highest turn out in american history while each running candidates accused of rape.

Which is hella depressing to think about. I'm gonna go walk around in the woods with my dog.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Herstory Begins Now posted:

on a non IK note, I'm skeptical that there's anything particularly about liberals or whatever that is leading to people choosing to vote for someone accused of rape when literally both sides just had the highest turn out in american history while each running candidates accused of rape.

Which is hella depressing to think about. I'm gonna go walk around in the woods with my dog.

It was a choice of poo poo sandwiches. Handsy Joe versus Grab-em-by-the-Trump.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
And not voting for either. Three choices

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

World Famous W posted:

And not voting for either. Three choices

Trump lost the election by ~40,000 votes across several states. I am enormously glad that more people didn't vote third party or opt out entirely.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Cool, maybe it won't be so worringly close if they don't run a rapist again

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
In the grim darkness of modern American politics, there are only rapists.

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007
Vote for the seemingly less bad option, which takes a half hour of your time on one day every two or four years- then apply the huge remainder of your time to helping your community in what ways you can, when & where you can. Provide people a positive example, show them what the good values are, encourage them to be like you. Or: don't vote, but do all the other stuff.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Vote to be clear, just not for rapists. There is still poo poo down ballot that matters

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Rust Martialis posted:

It was a choice of poo poo sandwiches. Handsy Joe versus Grab-em-by-the-Trump.

Reade's contention is that Biden literally grabbed her by the pussy.

One man bragged about it; the other actually did it.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Willa Rogers posted:

It seems that only one of them was in the business of stopping when asked, if that counts for anything.

(To be clear, this doesn't make Biden's alleged behavior ok)

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Willa Rogers posted:

Are you saying that Trump's sexual assault accusers are lying?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
It could count for something, especially if a true understanding and contrition to past actions came of it. Also trying to make right for your victim, however they decide (if they even decide to accept your attempts in the first place).

However being trusted with a position of power afterwords is shaky at best and out of the question completely without said contrition and amends making

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

World Famous W posted:

Vote to be clear, just not for rapists. There is still poo poo down ballot that matters

Lots of down ballot candidates are still rapists, so I'm not sure what your point is....

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
If those down ballot candidates are rapist, don't vote for them. You ain't this stupid

Also, in Alabama at least, we also include a lot of bills and amendments on our ballots that are dealt with at the same time

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

socialsecurity posted:

Are you saying that Trump's sexual assault accusers are lying?

No; I'm pointing out the absurdity of handwaving Reade's accusation as Biden being "handsy."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mellow Seas posted:

It seems that only one of them was in the business of stopping when asked, if that counts for anything.

Oh no. Oh nonono