Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Lord Stimperor posted:

Oh, I want to go read more on that. I'm just looking at some Kailh switches and they seem to be competitively priced, at least compared then I first bought Zealios for E4/piece. And there seems to be much variety. Interesting! Board should arrive within the next two hours, so I'm going to put it on a test run for a bit.

Yeah, Zeal switches are going to end up costing literally double the next closest option, typically, and 4 times more than the most common switches. I don't think they're a good deal these days vs pretty much anything else. I will say for pure typing experience it's very hard to beat a good set of SA keycaps with kailh box whites or jades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

mes posted:

There's a separate function layer on the K320 that gives you access to media keys (volume, pause/play, etc). It replaces the windows key on the right side.

Silent red is pretty quiet, but the feel of it is definitely different than non-silent keyswitches. This may or may not matter depending on the board you've been using currently.

I've been using a Saitek Eclipse II for the last 15 or so years :shobon:

Thanks guys, I'll start here. If I like it, maybe sometime down the road I'll build something neat for myself.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

alg posted:

I've been using a Saitek Eclipse II for the last 15 or so years :shobon:

Thanks guys, I'll start here. If I like it, maybe sometime down the road I'll build something neat for myself.

I think you'll like it! I forgot to mention that I actually do have a K320 myself that I've used for about a year and I've only stopped using it to downsize to a Durgod Hades 68. Unless your a heavy numpad user, downsizing to a TKL is a noticeable ergonomic improvement too.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Gwaihir posted:

Yeah, Zeal switches are going to end up costing literally double the next closest option, typically, and 4 times more than the most common switches. I don't think they're a good deal these days vs pretty much anything else. I will say for pure typing experience it's very hard to beat a good set of SA keycaps with kailh box whites or jades.

Good tip. I've never had Kailhs before but especially the box switches look nice. I don't like wobbly keysand the extra box might come in handy for that.

I adore SA keycaps for their looks, but unfortunately I find them very uncomfortable to type on. I'm a Cherry/GMK kinda person. The caps on the Keychron K4 are a little thin-sounding for my liking, so I might look around for a thick PBT set at some point - but looking for decent-looking, backlit, 96-compatible caps is always a pain in the rear end.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Lord Stimperor posted:

Good tip. I've never had Kailhs before but especially the box switches look nice. I don't like wobbly keysand the extra box might come in handy for that.

I adore SA keycaps for their looks, but unfortunately I find them very uncomfortable to type on. I'm a Cherry/GMK kinda person. The caps on the Keychron K4 are a little thin-sounding for my liking, so I might look around for a thick PBT set at some point - but looking for decent-looking, backlit, 96-compatible caps is always a pain in the rear end.

My first non-cherry switch was the Kaihl Box Whites, which are a very pleasant clicky switch. Much nicer than the MX Blues, which feel and sound dreadful.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

My boba u4 silents came in and they seem more quiet than my Zilents

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Keychron C1 with Gateron Reds is terribly hollow, but not as scratchy as Cherry Reds. Luckily it's all hot-swappable, so I've taken it apart and I'm putting in some foam and then the packing foam in the case because it is way too hollow. It being plastic probably doesn't help but luckily from all the videos I've seen of people doing the foam/lube/clip for the C1s, the sound turns out a lot better.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Ringo Star Get posted:

Keychron C1 with Gateron Reds is terribly hollow, but not as scratchy as Cherry Reds. Luckily it's all hot-swappable, so I've taken it apart and I'm putting in some foam and then the packing foam in the case because it is way too hollow. It being plastic probably doesn't help but luckily from all the videos I've seen of people doing the foam/lube/clip for the C1s, the sound turns out a lot better.

For an "open" board like a GMMK, would putting foam inside the case even do anything? I'd be curious to try it if it would.

I probably also should find a nice set of beefy PBT shinethrough caps to see if that changes the sound as well.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Zarin posted:

For an "open" board like a GMMK, would putting foam inside the case even do anything? I'd be curious to try it if it would.

I probably also should find a nice set of beefy PBT shinethrough caps to see if that changes the sound as well.

I've heard that new GMMKs come with foam included, my old one certainly had room for foam behind the PCB. It also sounds vastly better with upgraded/lubricated/bumpered stabilizers.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I've been advised Box Jades are similar to the Razer mecha-membrane feel. With the click near the top so gonna order a bunch of these to build up.

Group buys typically take like, 8 months, eh? At least that's what DeskHero states. Prob should order some basic rear end keys for now to test out these jades. Cherry Blues were recommended too.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I would not put Box jades at really similar to razer's keys and definitely not cherry blues. They're way way more snappy feeling and heavier as well. Blues are pretty light overall. Jades are a wonderful key for typing though.

Drop usually has a not bad selection of keycaps in stock, and there are a huge variety of good enough caps on https://shop.tai-hao.com/products

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
put together my xd84pro and cospad20 last night. first adventure in building keyboards was a big success. I kind of hosed up one of the stabs for the enter key but it seems fine to use. misplaced one switch that I had to desolder but overall it was just fine.

now time to get in the wide world of custom cables to improve my cable management game.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

My Durgod k320 arrived and I really, really like it. And now my wife likes it. She wants a smaller keyboard, but with a numpad.

She really likes the layout of this keyboard on Amazon, but I am not sure it is quiet enough for us. Would it be possible for me to build something like this, or is it just one weird keyboard on Amazon?

VVV edit: thanks!!

alg fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Apr 11, 2021

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

alg posted:

My Durgod k320 arrived and I really, really like it. And now my wife likes it. She wants a smaller keyboard, but with a numpad.

She really likes the layout of this keyboard on Amazon, but I am not sure it is quiet enough for us. Would it be possible for me to build something like this, or is it just one weird keyboard on Amazon?

That specific layout is going to be weird Amazon layout. Though there’s probably a custom version floating around somewhere.

Look into 1800 layout keyboards and see if that’s something she likes. That’ll give you some more options both prebuilt and custom.

Edit:
Keychron K4 is the cheapest option I can think of and you can get a hotswap model. But I prefer 1800 designs that have the arrow keys separated.

Leopold FC980M or FC980C will be the next step up. I’d lean towards this if the offered switches are satisfactory for your wife.

.Z. fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 11, 2021

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

It's going to be really tough to find exactly that layout, if not impossible. I would look at a TKL-sized board, or something a little bit smaller, and get a numpad to go with it. You'll have a lot more flexibility, and many more options going that route.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I solved a roughly similar problem with a 75% keyboard and a separate numpad, which in the end I think is a much better solution. I don't think as a numpad user that I would like having the numpad above the arrow keys. If you don't want function or hard arrow keys, a 60% + numpad would work well.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Echoing what was said above, but Leopold FC980 would be close to TKL size with a numpad and arrow keys. Leopold makes quality boards, too.

Separate mech boards for numpads are a thing too.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

alg posted:

VVV edit: thanks!!

I love the spirit of this but if you ever want to swap keycaps you're pretty much locked into either having the wrong row profile on the numpad or just getting a flat profile set.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
What are some good compact barebones or hotswappables that have a function row? I don't need a numpad. I would like the del/insert key area and maybe the arrows too? So maybe a 65%-ish with an F row?

I currently have a vortex race 3 rgb that I love but I wouldn't mind messing with different switches in the future.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

My Alpine65 came in the other day and I finished building it no too long ago. Decided to use the FR4 plate instead of brass, with Boba U4Ts

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Thom P. Tiers posted:

What are some good compact barebones or hotswappables that have a function row? I don't need a numpad. I would like the del/insert key area and maybe the arrows too? So maybe a 65%-ish with an F row?

I currently have a vortex race 3 rgb that I love but I wouldn't mind messing with different switches in the future.

Keychron C1, make sure you get the hot swap version. Do the foam mod too. It's TKL, not 65% though, if that's a dealbreaker.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Thom P. Tiers posted:

A 65% with a F key row is a 75% layout or an 84 key layout and is fairly standard - that would be basically identical to your Vortex Race 3, just to confirm. Keychron makes the K2 which is available as a hot swappable, wireless 75%.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Thom P. Tiers posted:

GMMK Pro could be a consideration here

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Also the Idobao ID80.

Here's mine:

Gunder fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 13, 2021

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
I've checked the few YouTube reviews available and went through several pages of Googled Reddit threads and couldn't find the answer, but does the Bella have RGB for the keys? And how many official colorways were made?

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.

ihatepants posted:

My Alpine65 came in the other day and I finished building it no too long ago. Decided to use the FR4 plate instead of brass, with Boba U4Ts

Do you know if that keycap set is the same as this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001128109483.html but in a different colour? I'm considering picking them up for work, so I'd like to know how they feel, but I'm still 50/50 on whether the Japanese characters are too lame for the office. I'd also be using the Boba U4 Silents - how do you like the U4Ts?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Screama posted:

Do you know if that keycap set is the same as this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001128109483.html but in a different colour? I'm considering picking them up for work, so I'd like to know how they feel, but I'm still 50/50 on whether the Japanese characters are too lame for the office. I'd also be using the Boba U4 Silents - how do you like the U4Ts?
Those keycaps are GMK Bento. (Gorgeous btw ihatepants!!!) You might be able to find a similar clone, but the actual set will be pricey.

Delicious.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Can you change key functions in QMK+? specifically the GMMK Pro's right-side keys, I want the top most key to be Print Screen. also would prefer pgup and pgdn be in the bottom 2 positions and have either home or end be delete.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Screama posted:

Yes, the alphas are the same as those, but I believe the gray one is the "older" color scheme. They came out with an all white one not too long after. These are the ones that are technically on my keyboard.

I love the the U4Ts. Definitely my favorite tactiles now, especially since they're great without having to lube/film. Here's a typing sound test I made: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcZnlIYjX1c

Stroop There It Is posted:

Those keycaps are GMK Bento. (Gorgeous btw ihatepants!!!) You might be able to find a similar clone, but the actual set will be pricey.

Thanks thanks. These modifiers are actually knockoff Bentos that are PBT, which I bought from Taobao. I do have a set of R2 Bentos coming... eventually. But I do like the mixture of these with the ePBT Sushi since they are similar material and feel.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
lord help me, but after three months with my preonic, i'm thinking of dropping some money on a moonlander. i'm finally all-in on ortholinear, i want a split, and i'm giving up on waiting to see if any of the other hipster split boards ever have pre-soldered-pcb options

that said, the thing giving me pause is the switches. I know the Moonlander has hot swappable switches, but if I'm paying $365 for a keyboard, I kinda want it to come out of the box with switches I like, or at least ones that are interesting enough I don't feel silly keeping them around in a bag.

I don't want anything full-clicky because I'd like to be able to travel with this board without getting murdered by anyone sitting near me in a coffee shop. In general, I've used tactile switches - currently rocking heavy-rear end Halo Clears on my Preonic, but I've used Gateron Browns recently as well that I thought were okay. I'm curious if anyone has takes on the various tactile/linear options the Moonlander has:

* Kalih Copper
* Kalih Box Brown
* Kalih Silver
* Kalih Box Red
* Kalih Box Black

I've been thinking of trying the Box Black, which are linear, but require a lotta force to press, so it sounds like they end up feeling a lot like heavy tactile switches without a bump in practice. Anyone here tried those particularly? Otherwise, I might just get Box Red switches - basically, my thinking is that I have enough of these Halo Clear switches I could swap em out with whatever I get in the Moonlander, so this is as good a time as any to try out linear typing for the first time. If anyone particularly likes the Copper or Box Brown I'd be curious to hear more about them, though; seeing a lot of contradictory reviews when I look them up online.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

abraham linksys posted:

* Kalih Copper

I used these a few years back, and I remember liking them a lot. They were very light, though, so if you like to rest your hands on your keys you might get extra inputs. The tactility was pretty nice and not too subtle, and I felt like I could type pretty quickly on them. Their typing feel is what eventually led me to Zilent v1 switches.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I found this switch while looking for something to get me over a free shipping threshold to save some money.
https://www.arrow.com/en/products/04a/grayhill
It's a four-way joystick style device that takes a keycap very similar to a Cherry MX (the cross is slightly larger overall but the arms are the same width so it should be able to be shaved down to fit).

I bought it for shits and giggles because it was the right price to be effectively free after the shipping savings. Has anyone here seen something like this used on a custom board? Seems like it could be neat as an alternative to arrow keys.

abraham linksys posted:

If anyone particularly likes the Copper or Box Brown I'd be curious to hear more about them, though; seeing a lot of contradictory reviews when I look them up online.

I bought my Moonlander with coppers and still have them on the alphabet keys (swapped in Durock T1s on the numbers, arrows, and a few other places plus some random clicky switches on the toggle keys). They feel pretty similar to my Corsair K95's Cherry Browns, maybe a bit lighter and quieter.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
It is done.

Behold, the final iterations of my custom 64-key ortholinear keyboard, Hard Light. The bottom is my portable unit, the top is the one I'm using for my desktop. BOX Navies on my desktop unit, Choc Navies on my portable.

I'll be setting up a storefront, necessarily.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
That looks fantastic.
Handles rule. I just joined 2 group buys for boards with handles.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone in the GMMK flex batch gotten an email to buy yet?

I’m worried I’ll miss it and lose my slot

Dr Cheesequake
Dec 23, 2008

I dream of humans and goblins co-existing peacefully

Head Bee Guy posted:

Has anyone in the GMMK flex batch gotten an email to buy yet?

I’m worried I’ll miss it and lose my slot

I’m in the flex batch and haven’t gotten an email yet.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I imagine there will be a lot of variation in which flex batch people get their emails. The original allotment sold out within a couple of hours. Every order in the five or so months since is a flex batch order.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
Soldering question: I'm getting everything I need together to finally build my M0LLY, and this feels like a dumb/obvious question, but better to ask now before I start working and find it's non-ideal: I'm going to want a relatively thin/narrow conical or chisel tip for my iron, right? Or would thicker be better for more even heat distribution? Should I just get a few and see what works best for me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Conventional wisdom says just use a chisel tip unless you're doing very fine pitch work. Cone tips have a smaller surface area = less heat transfer = harder to work with.