Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Inzombiac posted:

Our big, bloated system was changed recently so that if I make a record of something, I am no longer allowed to amend it. I have to delete the whole thing and start over.

It's not a HUGE deal because each entry is pretty easy most of the time but it really fucks up our records management because each entry has a unique ID. So now there are hundreds of floating, empty IDs that have to be archived but serve no purpose.

Our company did that with a type of request because the old format and the new format are incompatible in some way.

Somehow amid all the changes they didn't make it so links to requests take you to the object or put the status of the request in the title bar, or reformat any of the UI that was inconsistent/unintuitive. Apparently the format change is the improvement, everything else was just too good to mess with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

np19
Dec 25, 2016

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Discussion beginning about returning employees to the office. Everyone is hoping for at least a hybrid model to allow WFH two days a week but no official word yet. They made it clear total remote work won't be an option, dunno why as I haven't set foot in the office for over a year with zero issues.

I took a position with a company starting in February after my boss said during the interview I could expect a hybrid model after my initial month with them. We got two days a week starting a little bit over a month ago but I heard her mention to our newest hire that we’re going down to one day a week. Then after that convo, I heard her in a discussion with her higher up who expressed dissatisfaction anyone was working from home which leads me to believe hybrid is going away entirely.

I feel like I was misled.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Boomer bosses hate work from home. That’s why.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

My agency announced we're opening next month and only working one day a week at the office, I just super hope they make it a standard thing to work some days in and out of office.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Boomer bosses don't feel superior unless they can make other people physically uncomfortable with their presence. Isn't that basic office life 101?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

poisonpill posted:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

TontoCorazon posted:

My agency announced we're opening next month and only working one day a week at the office, I just super hope they make it a standard thing to work some days in and out of office.

Mine is saying we'll probably go to 2-3 days in the office but maybe we get to choose which ones??

There are load of people with non-traditional schedules so them saying we can WFH every Friday is not going to benefit 25% of the workforce.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Used to be that you could fairly easily get partial homeworking, but only Tuesday to Thursday because so many people liked long weekends that there were shortages of bodies in the office. But that was prepandem, so who knows what it'll be like when we go back.

Might make parking easier/possible.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I work for a state agency that assists other state agencies, and there's often no layer of management protecting me from whatever work requests might come in. It's been better lately, but I have two massive work tasks that got dropped on my lap that my direct boss had no clue about.

This both means that I'm busy as gently caress, and that if I could also basically gently caress off and do nothing all day and nobody would notice since my workload often being massive is well known to all.

Also our leadership being mindboggled at the fact that nearly everyone under 40 bails after ~5 years or so. Who doesn't want to be stuck in a rural state capitol making half the money you'd make in the public sector?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

poisonpill posted:

It's not only this though. It's also justifying all the money they're paying for an office in the first place. Some cities/states also give tax breaks to companies if they have a certain number of butts in seats at offices and a bunch of other dumb bullshit.

But yes also command and control management is probably the biggest factor.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

It's the opposite here. Boomer bosses love working from home with their families and gardens and pets and walks round the village green.

Actual staff live in tiny shared flats; 5x twentysomething professionals round the kitchen table with laptops and no outdoor space.

It has also allowed our lovely managers to abdicate all actual management duties and dump it on us. I had a client mention to me they hadn't even heard from the manager since we started work.

I mean if I was them I'd be asking why I'm being billed hourly for a manager I never even spoke to...

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 13, 2021

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

Mine is saying we'll probably go to 2-3 days in the office but maybe we get to choose which ones??

There are load of people with non-traditional schedules so them saying we can WFH every Friday is not going to benefit 25% of the workforce.

Yeah that was a big concern that was addressed on their announcement, they made it pretty clear people can request different days as long as it kept the office not full and everybody is distanced from everybody else, also today they said we can request staggered schedules so we can avoid crowded public transport, 7am through 11am. Which is fine by me, I might take advantage of coming in early to leave early

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Strategic Tea posted:

It's the opposite here. Boomer bosses love working from home with their families and gardens and pets and walks round the village green.

Actual staff live in tiny shared flats; 5x twentysomething professionals round the kitchen table with laptops and no outdoor space.

It has also allowed our lovely managers to abdicate all actual management duties and dump it on us. I had a client mention to me they hadn't even heard from the manager since we started work.

I mean if I was them I'd be asking why I'm being billed hourly for a manager I never even spoke to...

That was probably what they were doing when they said that

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You know you got the hook really set when you can bill time from completely unrelated managers because it's related indirect :shrug:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

TontoCorazon posted:

Yeah that was a big concern that was addressed on their announcement, they made it pretty clear people can request different days as long as it kept the office not full and everybody is distanced from everybody else, also today they said we can request staggered schedules so we can avoid crowded public transport, 7am through 11am. Which is fine by me, I might take advantage of coming in early to leave early

I'm extremely lucky to have a schedule that is "attend a couple critical meetings but get your hours in wherever you can." Per my AV, I suffer from wicked insomnia so a lot of work days start at 2am.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

My Boss, who lives in a tower blessed by the gods, refuses to come into the office to work but continues to send studies that microsoft employees were craving going back to the office.

The gently caress my dude.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

poisonpill posted:

Yup. Pre-Pandemic my MegaCorp was kinda thinking about considering letting a tiny number of employees pilot a WFH program and even that had taken years. Zero reason not to offer it as an option other than our senior management disliking the idea. Which I wouldn't mind as much if they offered sufficient parking or if the office was somewhat nice, but they don't and it ain't.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
We have been sent a future working plans survey. They're making noises that suggest everyone who does want to be in the office will be hotdesking. It ain't going down well.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

goatface posted:

We have been sent a future working plans survey. They're making noises that suggest everyone who does want to be in the office will be hotdesking. It ain't going down well.

Sounds like they want everyone to not want to be in the office.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

There are still plenty of people in my office who are boomers and tea drinking cat ladies and middle aged MAGA women who are going to the office, I suspect by choice?

Our department is all email and phone calls to reps around the entire west coast so nothing has been impacted at all really. I pray my boss agrees and realizes we can do the exact same stuff from home that we could in the office. There were some tacit “can’t wait to see you guys back at the office” platitudes like 9 months ago but cases are going up in our state again, which I am secretly almost grateful for and praying that no one suffers but eventually my department will just go permanently remote since for the rest of our company and clients, nothing has changed.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

AHH F/UGH posted:

There are still plenty of people in my office who are boomers and tea drinking cat ladies and middle aged MAGA women who are going to the office, I suspect by choice?

Our department is all email and phone calls to reps around the entire west coast so nothing has been impacted at all really. I pray my boss agrees and realizes we can do the exact same stuff from home that we could in the office. There were some tacit “can’t wait to see you guys back at the office” platitudes like 9 months ago but cases are going up in our state again, which I am secretly almost grateful for and praying that no one suffers but eventually my department will just go permanently remote since for the rest of our company and clients, nothing has changed.

Was trying to think of legit advantages of being in my office:
-I sometimes need to call Canada and if I use an office phone it's not billed to my cell phone.

I'm struggling to think of more. I did like walking around a neighboring park during lunch when I was in a different building, but then we were switched to another building and it's just parking lots.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Barudak posted:

My Boss, who lives in a tower blessed by the gods, refuses to come into the office to work but continues to send studies that microsoft employees were craving going back to the office.

The gently caress my dude.
People making rules and laws are the ones who most need the rules and laws applied to. Addendum that in certain parts of hell society they are also the ones the rules apply least to.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Was trying to think of legit advantages of being in my office:
  • Dogs aren't barking
  • Up bandwidth actually exists in corporate internet plans
  • Watch the river at lunch
  • Won't die of self induced scoliosis culting over or leaning back in a sofa chair on a laptop
  • Lord over new hires with my connected parking garage pass when they need to run across the street in pouring rain
  • Forced to acknowledge people are real and exist
  • Five minute commute is a perfect jaunty ride to wake up in the morning

All that and I'm not really excited to go back.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
You know what's the best combo?
Everyone else is WFH while I need to go in a few hours a week to a completely empty lab. So nice
I really dread everyone else coming back.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

zedprime posted:

Five minute commute is a perfect jaunty ride to wake up in the morning

As a fellow short commuter, this is the thing making the rest of your list even remotely ( :haw: ) viable. A low-stress start and end to the day is amazing compared.to the ~25 minute each way average commute time.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

starting a new job tomorrow, i straight up told them during the interview process that i'm never going back to an office and they were fine with it. just have to do an onsite visit maybe 1x a quarter for a couple days, seems reasonable to me

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

zedprime posted:

People making rules and laws are the ones who most need the rules and laws applied to. Addendum that in certain parts of hell society they are also the ones the rules apply least to.

• Dogs aren't barking
  • Up bandwidth actually exists in corporate internet plans
  • Watch the river at lunch
  • Won't die of self induced scoliosis culting over or leaning back in a sofa chair on a laptop
  • Lord over new hires with my connected parking garage pass when they need to run across the street in pouring rain
  • Forced to acknowledge people are real and exist
  • Five minute commute is a perfect jaunty ride to wake up in the morning

All that and I'm not really excited to go back.
  • Coworkers are not the same as family members so sometimes you get to be away from family for more than 10 minutes at a time, which is actually hugely important for enjoying each other's company
  • Replacing my 200 ft commute from bed to desk with my regular mile long constitutional as a way to mentally enter and exit the workday
  • The home is no longer the place where you get stressed by things outside your control
  • Sunlight, unfiltered by glass
  • Breathing actual outside air
  • I am slowly dying both on the inside and outside from 100% WFH
  • It has already killed my relationship to probably the most perfect partner I've ever or will ever meet, bringing existential questions like "am I actually able to have life long relationships or is every romance destined to end so don't bother getting attached"
  • My life is collapsing around me
  • Help me

I guess you could say there are pros and cons that have to be carefully weighted!

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

My office is located underneath an overpass, beside a train railway with the other side a cement factory. You open a window to get "fresh" air and all your poo poo is covered in sand and dust in 5 minutes.

The building is from 1900 so it got grandfathered in and doesn't have to provide certain features like multiple bathrooms, fire escapes, etc.

Also you get to work on a 13" laptop screen in a "private" office where all the paper records are kept, resulting in the water being leeched from the air.

I'm not going back.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

boar guy posted:

starting a new job tomorrow, i straight up told them during the interview process that i'm never going back to an office and they were fine with it. just have to do an onsite visit maybe 1x a quarter for a couple days, seems reasonable to me

This is living the dream. Hopefully once I get my certs I can look for a new job (while still working at my current one) and just be so brazen.

I've been on a summer vacation for the past year+ and yet somehow have managed to do the complete the same amount of work and get paid the same mediocre salary for it.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

AHH F/UGH posted:

I've been on a summer vacation for the past year+ and yet somehow have managed to do the complete the same amount of work and get paid the same mediocre salary for it.

and obviously, this is why they want everyone back at work. the illusion that we all have to share personal space to get anything productive done has been shattered, an entire class of workers (managers) has been shown definitively to be redundant, and restaurants need people to have lunch there and building engineers and custodians and groundskeepers need jobs too and the idea of shifting away from what's always been done to what makes sense now is terrifying

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Volmarias posted:

It has already killed my relationship to probably the most perfect partner I've ever or will ever meet, bringing existential questions like "am I actually able to have life long relationships or is every romance destined to end so don't bother getting attached"

I think they call this one "getting married"

boar guy posted:

and obviously, this is why they want everyone back at work. the illusion that we all have to share personal space to get anything productive done has been shattered, an entire class of workers (managers) has been shown definitively to be redundant, and restaurants need people to have lunch there and building engineers and custodians and groundskeepers need jobs too and the idea of shifting away from what's always been done to what makes sense now is terrifying

lmao modern America is founded upon middle managers of the real estate, restaurant, custodial services and landscaping companies being welfare queens living off of the work of a competent but disinterested (AKA normal people) working class

God forbid the Applebee's near the office closes right

AHH F/UGH fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Apr 14, 2021

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Volmarias posted:

[*] Help me

you're allowed to go for a walk, yo

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

boar guy posted:

Oh well just kill me now then.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

boar guy posted:

It's the unspoken understanding that for a lot of people there just aren't forty hours worth of work, so they'll keep paying you for those forty hours, but you gotta sit at the office while you don't work instead of doing it comfortably from home.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Batterypowered7 posted:

It's the unspoken understanding that for a lot of people there just aren't forty hours worth of work, so they'll keep paying you for those forty hours, but you gotta sit at the office while you don't work instead of doing it comfortably from home.

absolutely. they should just tell you this straight up, in college.

i mean do you know what a huge benefit it is just to have an open window next to me that i can see sunlight and hear birds through while i work? no office is going to ever give me that

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Imagine people just working less than 40 hours intentionally and this not being an immediate sentence to poverty lmao

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Meme Poker Party posted:

Imagine people just working less than 40 hours intentionally and this not being an immediate sentence to poverty lmao

this is the most deranged, insane thing i've ever seen posted on these god drat forums or anywhere for that matter. what the gently caress is wrong with you

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Meme Poker Party posted:

Reporting this to HR.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

ben shapino posted:

this is the most deranged, insane thing i've ever seen posted on these god drat forums or anywhere for that matter. what the gently caress is wrong with you

Society could be improved somewhat!!!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

boar guy posted:

Really? I never thought of that! Thanks, I'm cured!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

ben shapino posted:

I don’t understand. Are you mad people are working less than 40 hours a week and skating by pretending to?