Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Lobok posted:

That's funny but what I'm really thinking about is how that first one treats the Lantern power like magic.

In what way is it not magic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Alhazred posted:

It has rules based in pseudo-science.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Alhazred posted:

Isn't Lantern stuff about creating stuff, vs general alteration? Evocation, not transmutation?

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Fangz posted:

Isn't Lantern stuff about creating stuff, vs general alteration? Evocation, not transmutation?

Current comics the rings have clearly defined and hard set rules for what they can do, there’s definitely an internal logic that (should be) dictating their use.

Golden/silver age they were basically magic wishing rings that could do whatever insane contrivance a story necessitated, like time travel or making an envelope that Hal Jordan could fit into so that he could be mailed to the villain’s lair.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Alhazred posted:

It's magic to us but I mean I've never seen a GL fight treated as a sorcerer fight like that where one GL can directly change the other's constructs. The other two ideas Jud has there are more typical, where the Lantern is creating something to resist or protect against an opponent's constructs.

Not like I've an encyclopedic knowledge of all GL fights, but that stood out to me.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

in the cases where he makes shields and little guys, all he's doing is exerting his will over the energy directed by the other ring user. sure he's also throwing up a token construct, but the actual shape doesn't make a difference. modifying the incoming energy using his ring is just a more impressive display of willpower.

it wouldn't work if it was an actual bullet but if it's two Green Lanterns shooting ring beams at each other they're basically playing catch with the same ball.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Karma Tornado posted:

in the cases where he makes shields and little guys, all he's doing is exerting his will over the energy directed by the other ring user. sure he's also throwing up a token construct, but the actual shape doesn't make a difference. modifying the incoming energy using his ring is just a more impressive display of willpower.

it wouldn't work if it was an actual bullet but if it's two Green Lanterns shooting ring beams at each other they're basically playing catch with the same ball.

Well, I think in the context of the scene that's still problematic because the idea is that there's meant to be an escalation, and if you're right he did the most impressive thing with his first move.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sanschel posted:

Current comics the rings have clearly defined and hard set rules for what they can do, there’s definitely an internal logic that (should be) dictating their use.

Golden/silver age they were basically magic wishing rings that could do whatever insane contrivance a story necessitated, like time travel or making an envelope that Hal Jordan could fit into so that he could be mailed to the villain’s lair.

Yeah they could make anything that was green (or yellow for Sinestro) and it actually was that thing, not just a hard light construct of it.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Kilowog doesn't want to let on that a new recruit absolutely smoked him with his first try and is also trying to train him to stick to the standard Green Lantern Most Complicated Possible Solution To The Problem At Hand system

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Karma Tornado posted:

Kilowog doesn't want to let on that a new recruit absolutely smoked him with his first try and is also trying to train him to stick to the standard Green Lantern Most Complicated Possible Solution To The Problem At Hand system

Look, everyone in space has seen Big Laser Beam, but you have the Jolly Green Giant show up and teabag a ship's sensors or whatever and some space crooks are gonna freak out thinking they've broke some taboo or something. They're superstitious and cowardly like that.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Sanschel posted:

GL seems like a hero you need to play straighter than either Jack Black or Ryan Reynolds, I don’t get the sense that either of them have the discipline one would need to wield the ring. I’d love the constant push for Hal as the leading man to fall by the wayside, let Guy or Kyle or any of the newer Earth lanterns be the star, the ones with personalities.

DC/The movie did that annoying thing where they gave the characteristics of another younger person and force it into an older character, so we have Hal acting like Kyle and Barry acting like Wally.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
The Shazam sequel is apparently making up its villains out of whole cloth, which is definitely an interesting choice, and got me thinking: what was the last superhero movie to just go "gently caress it, we'll make up a baddie"? Blade II?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

From Hell had a main protagonist that straight up didn’t exist in the books.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Was Sharon Stone in Catwoman based on anyone? Technically Catwoman herself was a new version.

Anyway, here's the basketball scene https://youtu.be/rNlmRId2FVQ

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

CapnAndy posted:

The Shazam sequel is apparently making up its villains out of whole cloth, which is definitely an interesting choice, and got me thinking: what was the last superhero movie to just go "gently caress it, we'll make up a baddie"? Blade II?

Iron Man 3 kinda sorta?

I wish more superhero movies would invent baddies whole cloth. It lets comic readers actually go in blind without having to basically enter some kind of media blackout.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Not a movie but Spider-Man: Turn off the Dark had original-character-do-not-steal villain Swiss Miss.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Shazam making up a villain is weird seeing as the first movie teased Mr. Mind and then they're doing an entire other movie to set up Black Adam. So not only is it weird, it's the most dumbass thing I've ever heard.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Maybe the made up villain is a fake out Mr. Mind uses as a distraction.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

In general I'm against comic book movies making up characters that established characters would fit into. First off, it always reeks of CW style "we don't want to pay royalties." Second I just like seeing the characters I know on screen. I'm the guy who's still salty that they didn't just call Eckhart Bullock in Batman 1989.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

In general I'm against comic book movies making up characters that established characters would fit into. First off, it always reeks of CW style "we don't want to pay royalties." Second I just like seeing the characters I know on screen. I'm the guy who's still salty that they didn't just call Eckhart Bullock in Batman 1989.

You're pretty alone there. Without media making up characters you wouldn't have Harley Quinn, Agent Coleson, Firestar, X-23, Terry McGinnis, even loving Jimmy Olson. Hell as a counterpoint wasn't Montoya introduced in the animated series? There's probably a bunch others I'm forgetting too.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Vince MechMahon posted:

Shazam making up a villain is weird seeing as the first movie teased Mr. Mind and then they're doing an entire other movie to set up Black Adam. So not only is it weird, it's the most dumbass thing I've ever heard.

Well, it is Warner Bros.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ImpAtom posted:

You're pretty alone there. Without media making up characters you wouldn't have Harley Quinn, Agent Coleson, Firestar, X-23, Terry McGinnis, even loving Jimmy Olson. Hell as a counterpoint wasn't Montoya introduced in the animated series? There's probably a bunch others I'm forgetting too.

To Vince MechMahon's point though, Coulson always seemed like Jasper Sitwell with the serial numbers filed off. But then they also used that name for someone nothing like him (pointless, unless they knew from the outset he was going to be a traitor so it was misdirection).

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

ImpAtom posted:

Media making up new characters is different than a new character being the primary antagonist of a film. Especially for a character like Marvel who has a ton of villains available and none of them have been seen on screen that much.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Media making up new characters is different than a new character being the primary antagonist of a film. Especially for a character like Marvel who has a ton of villains available and none of them have been seen on screen that much.

It really isn't. That is how these characters come into being. If they execute the character well then it won't matter they didn't originate in the comics and if they execute it poorly it wouldn't be saved by naming the villain something familiar. A successful new villain could very well see themselves backported to the comics.

The list of DC and Marvel comic characters is so huge that you could probably find SOMEONE to fit any potential writing niche you can think of. It's still cool to have new characters exist.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Marvel doesn't pay royalties anyway so that wouldn't be a motivating factor on their end.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

That's why I said roles that they would fit into. Joker didn't have a girlfriend before Harley, so she's a great addition. Same with X-23, Jimmy, Terry, and even Firestar (sure there's the torch but he's a dude).

Coulson absolutely should have been named after literally any existing agent though. Same with everyone in the show.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

You're pretty alone there. Without media making up characters you wouldn't have [...] Agent Coleson[...]

I would actually be good with that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
AoS was a throwaway TV project to appease certain people. That's why they didn't get many existing comic characters at first.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

That's why I said roles that they would fit into. Joker didn't have a girlfriend before Harley, so she's a great addition. Same with X-23, Jimmy, Terry, and even Firestar (sure there's the torch but he's a dude).

Coulson absolutely should have been named after literally any existing agent though. Same with everyone in the show.

I mean do you understand the flaw in your argument there? Firestar is fine because she is a woman instead of a man. If that's enough of a change for you to accept it than pretty much any movie villain will satisfy you because precious few of them are 1-for-1 to their comic counterparts

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rhyno posted:

AoS was a throwaway TV project to appease certain people. That's why they didn't get many existing comic characters at first.

Coulson was in the movies first though.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I mean they went with Coulson over a known shield agent so as not to spoil the big reveal at the end of the movie (yes, yes, I know you were very clever and realized what the word salad Coulson said meant before he actually said shield)

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Vince MechMahon posted:

Given Eckhart was taking payments from Gotham's crime boss then dies, I'm pretty happy that Bullock wasn't done dirty in the awful way you suggest.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Sentinel Red posted:

Given Eckhart was taking payments from Gotham's crime boss then dies, I'm pretty happy that Bullock wasn't done dirty in the awful way you suggest.

They never did Bullock anyway so who cares get him up there and get whoever made him a pay day.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

howe_sam posted:

I mean they went with Coulson over a known shield agent so as not to spoil the big reveal at the end of the movie (yes, yes, I know you were very clever and realized what the word salad Coulson said meant before he actually said shield)

Fans who know who Sitwell is wouldn't have recognized SHIELD's full name?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Lobok posted:

Fans who know who Sitwell is wouldn't have recognized SHIELD's full name?

They changed the name in Iron Man, it's not the same as it was in the comics.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The did the same thing with SWORD.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i mean, i hadn't heard of sitwell before iron man but getting "shield" out of strategic homeland blah blah blah wasn't exactly a brain teaser if you catch my drift

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

Coulson was in the movies first though.

Okay?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Vince MechMahon posted:

They never did Bullock anyway so who cares get him up there and get whoever made him a pay day.

I'd say actual fans of the character would rather not see him at all than a lovely version that doesn't do him a molecule of justice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nobody was talking about AoS. They specifically said movies. Keep up.