Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

External Organs posted:

This show has some amazing bit characters.

I fell completely in love last night with the old man at the city council who knew all the legal loopholes.

You could watch me scoot around in my chair all evening, I might even enjoy that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Do you know he tried to get me kicked out the club for throwing my putt at his wife?

NOONE sneezes when Buck Strickland about to putt.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I just watched an episode where Bobby teaches Peggy to ride a bike and the climax of that plot is that Bobby says she will never be able to ride a bike and just gives up

a weaker show would have had Peggy successfuly learn to ride

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Sure Officer Brown may be a disgraced cop who tampered with evidence, got pulled off his beat and assigned this nothing position, but this here used to be a man

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
turn on your monitor

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PardonMeHippo
Feb 18, 2011
Is this show pretty accurate?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Absolutely not. Dale doesn't say the n word once

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I haven't lived in Texas since I was a kid but I'd say it's accurate, especially the first few seasons.

edit : although yeah there is a lot less racism than in reality, especially towards anti-mexican racism

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Would that have made it better?

PardonMeHippo
Feb 18, 2011
https://youtube.com/watch?v=9dE8PLVfn0s&feature=share

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

PinheadSlim posted:

I haven't lived in Texas since I was a kid but I'd say it's accurate, especially the first few seasons.

edit : although yeah there is a lot less racism than in reality, especially towards anti-mexican racism

Texas natives are way better about mexicans than transplants

....but Hank is from NYC!

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

Milo and POTUS posted:

Texas natives are way better about mexicans than transplants

*Somewhat better. They are also commonly racist as gently caress. Just less, "they need to go back to Mexico" and more "Mexicans are a permanent underclass for me to exploit at will and that's how things are supposed to be as they are clearly inferior to me". See my former inlaws who were puzzled about why when we needed to do some labor intensive home repairs that we didn't "just get some Mexicans to do it for you".

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

PardonMeHippo posted:

Is this show pretty accurate?

Lol at answering this question instead of realizing its a line from the show.

Vaya con Dios

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Paladinus posted:

Someone finds a video of him doing jokes in AAVE and 'white roots funny' from that one episode with Chris Rock, and Netflix cancels gives him a special.

PinheadSlim posted:

I have no idea what might be in a rebooted koth but one thing I'd like to see is Buck Strickland converting his propane dealerships into pot dispensaries. It's an easy decision for Buck because of how much more money is in pot than propane but Hank obviously hates it. Hank tries to find another propane related place to work but there are no local propane dealerships left because there's no money in it, so what would he do? Stay out of loyalty to Buck and try to adapt to modern life or would he quit and struggle with unemployment for a while?

Maybe if Hank did decide to quit then Bobby or Peggy would apply for the job because they need income and think Hank is being ridiculous

is it even legal in tx? i just googled it and it looks like they are maybe voting on it this year. i know its medically legal in pretty much every state now but i feel like tx isnt going to let you go to the dr and claim you have chronic migranes and need a 215 card like ca was doing after clinton sent in the feds

snergle fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Apr 13, 2021

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Prof. Banks posted:

See my former inlaws who were puzzled about why when we needed to do some labor intensive home repairs that we didn't "just get some Mexicans to do it for you".

Please pardon my foreign ignorance, but isn't 'just get some mexicans outside home depot to do it for you' everywhere in the united states not just Texas?

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Another Bill posted:

Please pardon my foreign ignorance, but isn't 'just get some mexicans outside home depot to do it for you' everywhere in the united states not just Texas?

The prejudice is against other groups depending on the area, usually is there's a large enough population from Cuba, or Puerto Rico.. But it seems most places it's Mexican.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dE8PLVfn0s

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

Another Bill posted:

I've heard that many times over the years, but I've never once encountered day laborers outside a home improvement store. Immigrants generally do get used for manual labor at a higher rate. But the idea that you can just go pick up some guys at a random place or know a guy who can get you some cheap under the table labor I've never seen outside of Texas.

I'm not saying that it's not something that happens other places, California, Arizona, Florida, etc., but it's not an everywhere thing. Where I live now has a decently sized hispanic population and I've never heard of someone doing that.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Prof. Banks posted:

I've heard that many times over the years, but I've never once encountered day laborers outside a home improvement store. Immigrants generally do get used for manual labor at a higher rate. But the idea that you can just go pick up some guys at a random place or know a guy who can get you some cheap under the table labor I've never seen outside of Texas.

I'm not saying that it's not something that happens other places, California, Arizona, Florida, etc., but it's not an everywhere thing. Where I live now has a decently sized hispanic population and I've never heard of someone doing that.

It's big/was in the Bay Area CA. It's not cheap either. Generally was about $20 an hour or more. Generally good fast work because they want repeat customers. Where I live now in WA I never see anyone outside the home improvement stores.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

finally got to the zz top episode in my watch. it was bad, but not in a really anger inducing way. platonic ideal of "i'm not mad, just disappointed "

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

I feel like they screwed that episode up because they made the KotH characters change and act out of place rather than the celebrity guests.

IMO, the celebrity guests are fun because they don't behave like they do in the real world. On that episode, ZZ Top acts exactly like how you'd expect them to.

Instead, a funnier joke would be for them to hate cars or really like living in New York. Making them loveable goofballs turns them into fan service. Making the KotH characters act or out place makes them feel like guest stars on their own show.

For example, Chuck Mangione acts nothing like he does in real life. On the show, he's a depressed, cowed, bitter man. IRL, he's always smiling and having a good time. If comedy is playing off people's expectations, then do it, but don't do it with the one thing consistent on the show which is Hank. People need to play off him, not the other way around.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Spaghett posted:

I feel like they screwed that episode up because they made the KotH characters change and act out of place rather than the celebrity guests.

IMO, the celebrity guests are fun because they don't behave like they do in the real world. On that episode, ZZ Top acts exactly like how you'd expect them to.

Instead, a funnier joke would be for them to hate cars or really like living in New York. Making them loveable goofballs turns them into fan service. Making the KotH characters act or out place makes them feel like guest stars on their own show.

For example, Chuck Mangione acts nothing like he does in real life. On the show, he's a depressed, cowed, bitter man. IRL, he's always smiling and having a good time. If comedy is playing off people's expectations, then do it, but don't do it with the one thing consistent on the show which is Hank. People need to play off him, not the other way around.

Alabaster Jones really messes with your expectation.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Spaghett posted:

They might have felt they'd lose their Texas documentary touch if The Famous Texas Band came on the show and wasn't being famously Texan.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Prof. Banks posted:

In Utah there is one Lowes and one Home Depot that has the "day labor" lines and they mostly are hired by contractors looking to pay someone under the table so they can take a bigger cut of their giant bids.

Ms derps and I renovated our house and have central american and mexican neighbors who let us know what work they could help with to pick up extra cash on the weekends and through then and their families/networks we have probably saved 30k versus using white mormon contractors. I wouldn't even say they were cheap either, the white guy contractors here are just used to ripping off their church mates it seems or getting contracts shuffled to them by their bishops.

drat landlord just sold the home out from under our neighbors though and their rent doubled so they gotta move and we are gonna end up with some drat rednecks in their place.

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

Armitag3 posted:

Alabaster Jones really messes with your expectation.

That's taking the piss in an inhuman way. Much respect to Snoop.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The first KotH I saw that made me think "huh, guess the later seasons ran out of steam" was the one where Hank gets on-board with organic & free-range food. It runs through like, several premises that could have been entire episodes, then it ends.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Neurolimal posted:

The first KotH I saw that made me think "huh, guess the later seasons ran out of steam" was the one where Hank gets on-board with organic & free-range food. It runs through like, several premises that could have been entire episodes, then it ends.

Hank is actually very badly hurt in the sky diving accident also, and the rest of the series is made up of his coma dreams.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Bobbeh pissed him off so bad in the first season that he had a stroke and the rest of the show is his sad, sad, sad, pre-death fantasy. Even in the half second before he dies Hank can't imagine him or his friends having a perfect life.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Another Bill posted:

Hank is actually very badly hurt in the sky diving accident also, and the rest of the series is made up of his coma dreams.

Hank suffered memory loss from the accident and absorbed Strickland's personality as a propane manager like Final Fantasy 7.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Its funny how Bobby is on the football team and isn't bad at it, but later in the show he's so unathletic he can't run 100 meters.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Watched the Peggy bookstore episode. I think that’s the only ep where Dale shows he’s a competent businessman. He’s selling a ton of guns for what seems to be a profit and really knows his product and customers.

I know he’s gotta be an exterminator, but fun to get hints he’d do much better in a different field. Like Bill being an excellent salesman.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Luanne being an incredible mechanic is my favorite abandoned bit.

Also Bobby's shooting skill.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
As far as im concerned Bill gets with Kahn's mom in the final season and you cant take that away from him

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Neurolimal posted:

As far as im concerned Bill gets with Kahn's mom in the final season and you cant take that away from him

I wonder if canonically Bill gets with more women through the course of the show than Boomhauer. Boomhauer probably has more but Bill has at least four (two Dixie chicks, Luanne’s mom, Kahn’s mom).

Also appreciated Mrs. Wakefield couldn’t die on Hank’s property but Big Jim couldn’t last five minutes.

Also odd recurring thing, the Arlen legal system moves at the speed of light. When Dale presses charges against Hank for chopping off his finger the sentencing seems to be later that day (as Hank had made no progress in fixing his floor.) Hank and Dale spent no time in jail after buying crack and were promptly in front of a judge. Dale’s lawsuit against Manitoba cigarettes should have taken months to reach trial.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Every other unseen court case was an instant death sentence. It turns out it really does speed things up

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I wonder if canonically Bill gets with more women through the course of the show than Boomhauer. Boomhauer probably has more but Bill has at least four (two Dixie chicks, Luanne’s mom, Kahn’s mom).

Governor Ann Richardson.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
doesnt he hook up with the reverend too and they break up because the churchgoers are disgusted

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I just watched that one and it seems more like he breaks up with her because she's coming on too aggressively after getting fired from her job

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I think part of why they break up is because the relationship started as a secret and Bill liked sneaking around, and when people found out about it the reverend left the church for him and they got to be a normal couple there was no thrill to it anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Watched the Peggy bookstore episode. I think that’s the only ep where Dale shows he’s a competent businessman. He’s selling a ton of guns for what seems to be a profit and really knows his product and customers.

I know he’s gotta be an exterminator, but fun to get hints he’d do much better in a different field. Like Bill being an excellent salesman.

the thing is he is actually a really good exterminator probably because he studies insects in his basement when not drinking alien piss. on your next re watch watch the episodes where they show him doing something with insects. the one where he seeds hanks lawn with fire ants because he is mad at hank , the time bobby and joseph become the queen ants pawn bobby gets covered in ants and dale takes his hand so they will sting him. if you think about it he probably crushed a bunch of ants on bobbies hand so the fire ants are swarming the spot with the death pheromones which leads them to dale he would know that. even the weird one where his wife thinks he might cheat on her with the pigeon lady he spouts a ton of knowledge about roaches. the one where he cant exterminate anymore and gets an office job firing people is like the only time he acts out of character about insects and josephs hissing roaches get loose in the building due to him.