Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

as a person with a physical limitation that limits reflexes and causes motor difficulties, can confirm that less punishing difficulty settings often make it so I can actually experience the game. (yes, I've beaten a souls game because their design is generally Good)

doesn't make sense to compare it 1:1 to movies, because that is a sedentary activity that is simply consuming. lowering the barrier to access without compromising core gameplay loops isn't a bad thing at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Pants Donkey posted:

Some people get really weird about their mods or fangames. There’s a Skyrim mod that was very popular until the creator added a bunch of oblivion portals from the third game, and they got super weird and adamant about keeping those in as part of the package.

I love when poo poo like that happens the Fallout Mod thread had some good stories but I can't remember any.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Groovelord Neato posted:

I love when poo poo like that happens the Fallout Mod thread had some good stories but I can't remember any.

You don't need to go back that far. Just look at the weirdo drama around The Frontier with the sex lizard vault. Or the godawful fallout with the pedophile modder.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Endorph posted:

itd be very funny if the next fromsoft game had an easy mode and all it did was reduce the hp of a single specific enemy by 1

That sounds more like a Yoko Taro thing than a FROM thing tbh

Also this talk reminds me of Itagaki (is alleged to have) said

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

fun hater posted:

my thoughts kept getting too away from me to the short of it is that 1. accessibility in games coming to the forefront of people's attention has been hugely eye-opening for helping me see how games approach their audiences 2. dark souls gets brought up frequently as an example also because its a game that actively wants you to die. the plot encourages and revolves around your relationship to it within the fiction. 3. i honestly don't know how to feel about difficulty sliders in dark souls because im a huge big baby who loves dark souls and i think the alteration to the perseverance themes of the story strips away some of the purpose of the narrative.

but on the other hand who cares? its a videogame lol. they're art but they're bad art. and thats fine, i love them for what they are but im ascribing too much importance to something that is ultimately an entertainment experience. isn't the point of an experience that it's supposed to be experienced?

alterations to dark souls to make it accessible would have to start from the bottom up anyway lol everything is wrong with that game. the whole thing needs to be re-tooled for color blindness for a start.

I think, going back to the Pathologic 2 thing, nobody's really said boo about it adding difficulty settings and noting how the devs would prefer the game be played. Like, worst case scenarios are either some more people buy it because they're less intimidated by the FAMOUSLY HARD MEAN GAME, play it for a bit on some setting and drop it anyway, or play through all of it on babby mode and maybe (?) come away with a different impression of it based on not having as hard of a time. But then they're also aware they weren't playing it the way it was designed. In either case a small developer gets some more money they can hopefully feed back into finishing the other storylines for the game.

FromSoft doesn't need that kind of boost at this point, I guess. Still, it was only a mixture of insane luck and overlapping things working its favor like the original game having English translations that could be exported abroad that DeS became enough of a cult hit that Namco Bandai was willing to take on the risk of Dark Souls. I'm not saying that easy modes in Demon's Souls would've made Sony less queasy, but it's kind of chilling to think whole franchises of super successful game series following in Demon's Souls' footsteps might never have existed if like, one factor had gone a different way.

fun hater posted:

the only other alteration i would make to dark souls 1 is to speed it up a lil. my guy is so s l o w

FromSoft are cowards for refusing to put a mobility scooter for long-distance travel in the DS1 remaster.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
There was a pretty high profile Paper Mario 64 HD texture project a number of years ago that was derailed almost entirely because the author insisted that all the Star Spirits be not just updated to HD, but completely redrawn as Lumas from SMG, and when this was met with a ton of backlash and other people saying they'd just upscale the existing sprites and put them in with the rest of the guy's package, he pulled the plug on the whole thing in a huff.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Wasn't there some issue with Sonic 2 HD because the main guy threw a tantrum?

Arcsquad12 posted:

You don't need to go back that far. Just look at the weirdo drama around The Frontier with the sex lizard vault. Or the godawful fallout with the pedophile modder.

It was pretty funny thinking well there's no way the Frontier can be as bad as New California and then it was worse.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

lol. i want to like the souls game, but its basicaly memorization the game and i just can't have fun with that type of gameplay. like they are good games, just not for me.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Pants Donkey posted:

Some people get really weird about their mods or fangames. There’s a Skyrim mod that was very popular until the creator added a bunch of oblivion portals from the third game, and they got super weird and adamant about keeping those in as part of the package.

That was a fun saga to read about, Arthmoor or whatever his name was a freak.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Archer666 posted:

To be fair to Itagaki and his oatmeal raisin cookie face, if anything probably needs to be agonizingly hard, it should probably be Ninja Gaiden games.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

shut up about games and listen to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdVgPCM5wEk

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

lol. i want to like the souls game, but its basicaly memorization the game and i just can't have fun with that type of gameplay. like they are good games, just not for me.

Souls games aren't really about memorization any more than any other action game

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Dark Souls is basically an action dungeoncrawler in the lineage of wizardry but even then they haven't been mean enough to do blind spinner and teleporter mazes which were the real dick moves of the genre.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Dan Olsen's fulfilled his Patreon goal of commenting on the failure of Doug's The Wall video.

https://youtu.be/rokAtlFGa7Y

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

All of the real supposed problems with easy mode could be solved if the devs were just honest about the actual difficulty that's intended or describe how each one feels akin the example Captain Invictus gave with Halo. Be honest that the hardest difficulty isn't fun, and which level the experience was balanced around. I try that first and if it turns out the devs are wrong about my subjective experience i go back and adjust.

edit: the biggest issue with difficulty modes of all kinds is devs pretending each is equally well designed and intended. When I have never seen a game with that being true.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 13, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Archer666 posted:

- Man Who Made Devil’s Third

Sea_Caldwell
Feb 5, 2021

Dark Souls is the Harry Potter of video games.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mokinokaro posted:

Dan Olsen's fulfilled his Patreon goal of commenting on the failure of Doug's The Wall video.

"Why does this exist?" sums it up so well lol

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
This is the first time I've seen any bits from that Doug Wall review thing.

How miserable.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

McConnell posted:

Dark Souls is the Harry Potter of video games.

Hidetaka Miyazaki on Twitter:

did you know that before the sparkly crows moved into Firelink Shrine, the Lords of Cinder used to just throw their dung pies on the ground instead of dropping them in the nest?

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

SIZE=XX-LARGE]PLEASE! PLEASE STOP SAYING THE R WORD. GOD, IF SOMEBODY SAID THE R WORD, I WILL HECKIN LOSE IT. JUST PEE PEE MY JORTS. CAN'T YOU JUST CALL THEM A SMOOTHE BRAINED DOTARD LIKE THE REST OF US NORMAL PEOPLE? DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

P.S. FREE LARRY YOU FUCKIN COWARDS.
For those who fall under a specific condition where easy mode will compensate for their disability, this is nice, but it's also going to be an excuse for people like game journalist types to play through a game faster and write an article sooner. It's also a way for people to have to think less.

It's like when there's steps and a ramp. People are likely to take the ramp instead of the stairs, even though it designed for disabled people to use. People will choose the ramp for themselves, even though they're in perfectly capable ability to take the stairs, to make their day easier...even though, again, it's designed to accommodate those who need it.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

ButterSkeleton posted:

For those who fall under a specific condition where easy mode will compensate for their disability, this is nice, but it's also going to be an excuse for people like game journalist types to play through a game faster and write an article sooner. It's also a way for people to have to think less.

It's like when there's steps and a ramp. People are likely to take the ramp instead of the stairs, even though it designed for disabled people to use. People will choose the ramp for themselves, even though they're in perfectly capable ability to take the stairs, to make their day easier...even though, again, it's designed to accommodate those who need it.

And this is... bad, somehow?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Mokinokaro posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rokAtlFGa7Y

Quoting this with a proper embed so people don't miss it. Definitely don't give this one a pass. God, I can't believe I used to watch and even like Doug given how cringey even the older Blip-era clips are.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ButterSkeleton posted:

I'm sorry, what?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
You cheated not only the game, but yourself.

Sea_Caldwell
Feb 5, 2021

ButterSkeleton posted:

I too make a smug face whenever I look at people using the escalators while I take the stairs.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I'm not really sure how I feel about the frequent conflating of easy modes with accessibility options for people with disabilities tbqh. These are two very distinct things that serve different purposes and have different effects on the game experience. Plenty of people with disabilities still enjoy challenging games, but have one particular thing that their disability prevents them from doing.

Maybe someone enjoys the timing and endurance challenge of a boss fight, but they are unable to do fast and complex button combinations without experiencing pain. An easy mode that simply reduces the damage you take from enemies not only won't do much to help them, but it will also diminish the part of the game that they enjoy and are perfectly capable at. An accessibility option that you can simply toggle on or off to simplify combos would be much more effective at addressing their needs. Specific options to address specific needs, clearly labeled and impossible to mistake for anything else.

EDIT:

Mokinokaro posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rokAtlFGa7Y
oh ye gods

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Mokinokaro posted:

:hmmyes:

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

One argument I can see against easy modes is that the time and resources you have to make a game are finite, and every feature you add means you have to either crunch your team more in order to complete development on schedule (not good) or take something else away. Something that could potentially satisfy your core audience more.

If someone decides their game needs an easy mode, that’s fine. It’s their art and their decision, but likewise there’s nothing wrong with prioritizing other things. There's no such thing as universally-appealing art.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Once you finish the Dan video watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohFyOjfcLWQ

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

HMS Beagle posted:

Homestuck is one of those things I always wanted to try but never did

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
some people are just bad at video games

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

ButterSkeleton posted:

what

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

HMS Beagle posted:

2:21:31

Mein Gott. :stare:

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
I like Lisa's Pain Mode which makes save points single use only. It radically changes how you play the game and makes you strategize.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdVgPCM5wEk

He doesn't miss, folks

ButterSkeleton posted:

:psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck:

ButterSkeleton posted:

but it's also going to be an excuse for people like game journalist types to play through a game faster and write an article sooner. It's also a way for people to have to think less.

Also why does this matter at all, who cares

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Antigravitas posted:

2:21:31

Mein Gott. :stare:

There goes my evening. I might have to start with the old-school youtube content that was the first time I ever heard of Homestuck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLK7RI_HW-E

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

BigRed0427 posted:

Homestuck is one of those things I always wanted to try but never did

you and everyone in your position dodged a bullet

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I like Lisa's Pain Mode which makes save points single use only. It radically changes how you play the game and makes you strategize.

It also adds some new, real assholes of bosses and changes some existing bosses in pretty radical ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

HMS Beagle posted:

Homestuck was one of those that I read out of curiosity despite it not grabbing me, then it grabbed me hard around act 2 and then the endless waits for new content killed my interest again.

Regardless, some of the music produced for it are absolute bangers.