Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Yeah, as a music nerd before the internet, being able to watch a band you like actually play a song was a legitimate rarity. I downloaded a lot of SNL performances whenever filesharing first got big.

As far as the skits, I couldn't watch those if you paid me. I imagine it's only stayed on the air for so long because what else are you gonna watch at midnight on a Saturday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
SNL is even more confounding as a non-American.

Fortunately they consistently region lock their online videos, so I can't even watch whatever that bad Star Trek sketch is!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
SNL's Celebrity Jeopardy skits were always great in the early 00s, but only when you have Will Farrel and Darrell Hammond. Also I vividly remember one post-9/11 skit of Hammond playing Chris Matthews on a Hardball skit and repeatedly called Dick Armey by increasingly ridiculous sexual names like Penis Navy and Vagina Coastguard, which I still to this day find hilarious because Dick Armey is a massive asswipe.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

What kind of containment field do you use to keep anticomedy separate from the rest of the ship?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

McSpanky posted:

What kind of containment field do you use to keep anticomedy separate from the rest of the ship?

Being on network tv.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

McSpanky posted:

That comparison does a disservice to actual anti-comedy, which is funny as poo poo when done intentionally and correctly. This is more like comedy byproduct.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
There is a very strong argument that Far Beyond the Stars is the single best episode in the history of Star Trek. The the whole cast is puts in one great performances after an other, while playing characters that are complete different from who the usually play. Its good just so very good.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

side_burned posted:

There is a very strong argument that Far Beyond the Stars is the single best episode in the history of Star Trek. The the whole cast is puts in one great performances after an other, while playing characters that are complete different from who the usually play. Its good just so very good.

It's one of those Un-Star Trek episodes, like Family or 11:59. Only instead of tackling PTSD and gentrification, it comes at blatant racism and police brutality head on and is absolutely incredible about it.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

SNL is also at it's absolute lowest points in terms of talent right now. You don't have to be Chris Farley or Belushi or another one of the legends, but people like Colin Jost and Michael Che are just painfully unfunny and forced, it's like the worst kind of standup comedy.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

nine-gear crow posted:

It's one of those Un-Star Trek episodes, like Family or 11:59. Only instead of tackling PTSD and gentrification, it comes at blatant racism and police brutality head on and is absolutely incredible about it.

Examining contemporary issues through the fictional eye of what a better future could be is maybe the most Star Trek thing you can make.

Sad that that episode is nearly 25 years old and you could still make it today.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

sunday at work posted:

Examining contemporary issues through the fictional eye of what a better future could be is maybe the most Star Trek thing you can make.

Sad that that episode is nearly 25 years old and you could still make it today.

Not that it isn’t still relevant and all, but there is no way modern CBS would allow a Star Trek episode to contain the n-word

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

skasion posted:

Not that it isn’t still relevant and all, but there is no way modern CBS would allow a Star Trek episode to contain the n-word

Is that actual progress or cargo cult progressivism though? The context is very explicitly calling out racism in America, and actually having the racist characters use the n-word helps drive the point home. It has to be done well though, so I hope they don't do it on Picard.

I really look forward to that episode on my DS9 rewatch, I remember not liking it at all the first time because it's not trekking through the stars, but I think older me might enjoy it a lot more. Also I will be able to recognize Michael Dorn instead of wondering why this new guy gets so much screen time :o:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

BonHair posted:

actually having the racist characters use the n-word helps drive the point home

Are you calling Jimmy the Street Rat a racist??? :mad:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

BonHair posted:

Is that actual progress or cargo cult progressivism though?

It’s amoral risk aversion

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

BonHair posted:

Is that actual progress or cargo cult progressivism though? The context is very explicitly calling out racism in America, and actually having the racist characters use the n-word helps drive the point home. It has to be done well though, so I hope they don't do it on Picard.

I really look forward to that episode on my DS9 rewatch, I remember not liking it at all the first time because it's not trekking through the stars, but I think older me might enjoy it a lot more. Also I will be able to recognize Michael Dorn instead of wondering why this new guy gets so much screen time :o:

“But what about Armin Shim-oh right the ears.”

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

nine-gear crow posted:

It's one of those Un-Star Trek episodes, like Family or 11:59.

This is one of the things I miss the most now that everything except police and medical procedurals have been heavily serialized. Back when you had to crank out 26 stand-alone episodes a season, you could roll the dice on a few "out there" stories (or be forced into one due to budget constraints). Now that every show is 8 episodes of Plot Plot Plot at $10 million each, there's little room for experimentation.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Honestly, that type of show creation has made me want to watch TV shows less, and movies more. Cause movies at least end. I don't have to worry about 40 episodes of being strung along before BIG thing happens.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I love how in the 90s we were all about serialized storytelling because it was relatively rare and now we're lamenting the lack of episodic tv that doesn't leave us trapped in hellish season long arcs that go nowhere

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Well that is kind of the thing, at least in the old days, things tended to fluctuate a bit, and tended to have endings.

Discovery had a good idea, one season, one story arc, but uh we saw how that turned out. Somehow making less sense than if they had been episodic :dafuq:

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Everybody praised Game of Thrones for being unpredictable, and I guess that's true as far as main characters dying, but nothing really unexpected happens. They never spent an episode playing baseball.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
I was bored by GoT, and I know it is nice to hate on it now. It was interesting for the first 3 seasons, but then I got it. Basically, you can't be invested in anyone and really care about anyone. That meant, I just stopped caring.

DS9? I wasn't that sold on it as being great, like it had nice characterization, but that is when I saw Far Beyond the Stars. That is when I went, god drat, that hit me right in the chest, and it made me think. You know what, it made me take that contrast of the utopian where Sisko being black meant nothing to it meaning everything just that contrast being on display hit me in the feels.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

In the game of baseball, you strike or you're out.

I generally like the serialised stuff, but there should be room for stand alone tangents sometimes. In theory Discovery did it with Space Hitler Mirror Universe Time Travel, but it would have required actual planning and writing to make it work.

Edit: anyone who didn't see the ending of A Song Of Ice And Fire being about the guy whose last name was Snow and the lady with the dragons (who basically didn't interact with the other plots for the first many seasons) was probably not thinking too hard. I didn't see the incest angle, but honestly, that's not really important to me. Mostly the last season was a bit rushed and suffered from everyone else being dead, leaving no intrigue. But I maintain that was baked into the plot from the beginning, and any ending would have been disappointing.

BonHair fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 13, 2021

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

The thing about Far Beyond the Stars being the best is that it only works that way in context with the rest of the show. You've seen 6 and a half seasons of these actors playing their characters and building their universe. Now you get to see them do their thing (examine social issues), but through the lens of new characters. Watching that episode in a vacuum takes away some of its punch because it's ultimately a character piece on Sisko. The Visitor has the same thing going on, but for Jake too. You get more out of it the more familiar you are with the characters. They're still favorites of mine, and I wish more modern serialized shows would do character episodes like these.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

BonHair posted:

Edit: anyone who didn't see the ending of A Song Of Ice And Fire being about the guy whose last name was Snow and the lady with the dragons (who basically didn't interact with the other plots for the first many seasons) was probably not thinking too hard. I didn't see the incest angle, but honestly, that's not really important to me. Mostly the last season was a bit rushed and suffered from everyone else being dead, leaving no intrigue. But I maintain that was baked into the plot from the beginning, and any ending would have been disappointing.

Oh I got that, but I basically was bored by the filler. Yeah, the interesting part were the zombies, and dragon lady, and after a while everyone else i would try to invest in got ded.

After feeling like 3 seasons was dragging out the main thing i gave a poo poo about, i just stopped caring.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Tighclops posted:

I love how in the 90s we were all about serialized storytelling because it was relatively rare and now we're lamenting the lack of episodic tv that doesn't leave us trapped in hellish season long arcs that go nowhere

Eh, most episodic TV is also absolute garbage and it's just as disappointing to tune in for a lovely bottle episode as it is to wait a week for nothing at all to happen.

The problem with a lot of modern prestige TV is that writers don't ever let arcs end. One of the best parts of The Wire was that each season was a complete story with connective tissue between them. Compare that to something like GoT, where it's essentially a sprawling soap opera that never resolved anything without immediately rolling the resolution into a new arc.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
At least if I hit a crappy episode of Miami Vice or TNG, worst case scenario it's over in 40 minutes. A bad episode is always disappointing but is it as disappointing as the slow realization that you're being dragged along by your dick through a season of trash? I dunno man, I dunno.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Paradoxish posted:

Eh, most episodic TV is also absolute garbage and it's just as disappointing to tune in for a lovely bottle episode as it is to wait a week for nothing at all to happen.

The problem with a lot of modern prestige TV is that writers don't ever let arcs end. One of the best parts of The Wire was that each season was a complete story with connective tissue between them. Compare that to something like GoT, where it's essentially a sprawling soap opera that never resolved anything without immediately rolling the resolution into a new arc.

I mean GOTs is basically the war of the roses with magic and that’s exactly how the war of the roses went. 30 years and 7 kings depending on the historian

The only break would be the end of Edward the 4ths reign I guess

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

jeeves posted:

So what you’re saying is that Voyager writers were lazy and under a mandate to reset everything in time for the next episode every single week?

low-hanging fruit.

In my dreams CBS would decide to remake Voyager and give it to a team that basically consists of people that made Stargate SG1 and people that made Farscape and just let them run with it.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Lester Shy posted:

This is one of the things I miss the most now that everything except police and medical procedurals have been heavily serialized. Back when you had to crank out 26 stand-alone episodes a season, you could roll the dice on a few "out there" stories (or be forced into one due to budget constraints). Now that every show is 8 episodes of Plot Plot Plot at $10 million each, there's little room for experimentation.

I'm also forces the writers to do bottle episodes, so you get great stuff like the cardassian war criminal being confronted by Kira episode

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
I dislike episodes that chase the plot. Like, we the viewer know what is wrong and how to fix it but are waiting for the separated characters to find each other and combine their knowledge and items and whatever to get to the climax and resolution.

sooo boring.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Terror Sweat posted:

I'm also forces the writers to do bottle episodes, so you get great stuff like the cardassian war criminal being confronted by Kira episode

Or The Wire!!

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

On the one hand I agree with you, in that I'm in early season 3 of The Expanse and it's definitely feeling kind of interminable, like it's really a 30-hour movie in 45-minute segments, and I'm having a lot of trouble working up the motivation to continue.

On the other hand, I found the roller coaster of Doctor Who so infuriating I had to quit watching that altogether too.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Personally I think the Buffy type and level of serialisation would be ideal for Star Trek.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

MikeJF posted:

Personally I think the Buffy type and level of serialisation would be ideal for Star Trek.

more than tng, less than ds9?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I liked the format ENT used in it's last season, multi-part stories broken up by standalones.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

thotsky posted:

more than tng, less than ds9?

TNG encounters of the week episodes with DS9 character development.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

sunday at work posted:

TNG encounters of the week episodes with DS9 character development over the run of the series

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Tighclops posted:

I liked the format ENT used in it's last season, multi-part stories broken up by standalones.

This is honestly the best format for me. Give me a 12 episode season made up of three three-parters, and three standalone episodes where they can do something batshit.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/realGulDukat/status/1382122558858924038?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
I'm watching the TNG episode "Interface" from season 7, and everyone is mindbogglingly stupid. They designed a probe for exploring unsafe environments with a sensory interface capable of killing the user. Great job, chief engineer. They are aware enough of the danger to put in an emergency cut-off on the sensory inputs......at 98% of maximum tolerance. They didn't go above 70% during testing, and just assumed there wouldn't be any problems going higher than that. Maybe if Starfleet Academy taught their cadets about safety factor, they wouldn't have control panels explode regularly and a holodeck that thirsts for blood.