Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Train Station Renovation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

K8.0 posted:

I've got a hankering for a game about personally doing stuff. I don't know what to call the genre, but I saw Landlord's Super and I'm tempted by that, I love My Summer Car to some extent, I'm not sure how to put it but a game about doing mundane-ish tasks with your own hands, especially one that's meant to feel immersive. What else is there in this space?

VR is basically for this, if you can afford it.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
If you get to the point of bying VR for the purpose of playing chore simulators, maybe just do chores instead

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Are there any good singleplayer deckbuilder games where you build your deck over a long period of time instead of over short runs? I know of the old MTG game, System Crash, and that Witcher one, and the old GBC Pokemon CCG one, but are there others?

e: I guess Hand of Fate is kind of similar as well, but I want a game where the cardgame is the actual meat of the gameplay instead of just a way to design your runs, if that makes sense. A singleplayer rpg/campaign where throughout the game I collect new booster packs and build decks to face whatever challenges I'm up against.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Apr 13, 2021

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

K8.0 posted:

I've got a hankering for a game about personally doing stuff. I don't know what to call the genre, but I saw Landlord's Super and I'm tempted by that, I love My Summer Car to some extent, I'm not sure how to put it but a game about doing mundane-ish tasks with your own hands, especially one that's meant to feel immersive. What else is there in this space?
Maybe it's not quite the right genre, but Death Stranding is a post apocalyptic delivery driver sim.

Despite all the Hideo Kojima insanity, the bulk of the game is an exercise in meditative mundanity. Very immersive.

It's a masterpiece.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Apr 13, 2021

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

deep dish peat moss posted:

Are there any good singleplayer deckbuilder games where you build your deck over a long period of time instead of over short runs? I know of the old MTG game, System Crash, and that Witcher one, and the old GBC Pokemon CCG one, but are there others?

Etherlords 1 and 2 are really fun if you can get them to run and don't mind some heroes of might and magic mixed in

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Aside from Etherlords 1+2, there's also the old Marvel Vs system card game called "Marvel Trading Card Game" made by Konami, which is literally the card game with a limited number of expansions and a single player campaign, only released for PC, PSP and the DS iirc.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Osmosisch posted:

Etherlords 1 and 2 are really fun if you can get them to run and don't mind some heroes of might and magic mixed in

I'm kind of hoping for games with more straight-up card game combat - I like the collection and deck-building aspect of stuff like M:TG or hearthstone or whatever and I even like playing them but I don't enjoy the constantly shifting meta, facing similar decks all the time, etc.

Still though I'm mostly looking for a turn-based game to play in the background at work and Etherlords does look cool, thanks for the rec!

Angry Lobster posted:

Aside from Etherlords 1+2, there's also the old Marvel Vs system card game called "Marvel Trading Card Game" made by Konami, which is literally the card game with a limited number of expansions and a single player campaign, only released for PC, PSP and the DS iirc.

This looks rad and is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for but unfortunately it's DS/PSP only and all I have is a PC :( I guess DS emulation is pretty easy these days Nevermind there is indeed a PC version too, I'll see if I can actually get it from somewhere!

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

I'm kind of hoping for games with more straight-up card game combat - I like the collection and deck-building aspect of stuff like M:TG or hearthstone or whatever and I even like playing them but I don't enjoy the constantly shifting meta, facing similar decks all the time, etc.

Still though I'm mostly looking for a turn-based game to play in the background at work and Etherlords does look cool, thanks for the rec!

This looks rad and is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for but unfortunately it's DS/PSP only and all I have is a PC :( I guess DS emulation is pretty easy these days Nevermind there is indeed a PC version too, I'll see if I can actually get it from somewhere!

The Vs System was a really cool game and all TCG lovers should play it at least once, a pity it met an untimely death. If you need any advice/help, shoot me a PM.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

e: I guess Hand of Fate is kind of similar as well, but I want a game where the cardgame is the actual meat of the gameplay instead of just a way to design your runs, if that makes sense. A singleplayer rpg/campaign where throughout the game I collect new booster packs and build decks to face whatever challenges I'm up against.

The Elder Scrolls: Legends might be your fancy since the base game is free, has a free single-player campaign as a tutorial to see if you like it, and then you can buy separate single-player campaigns, challenges etc.

https://elderscrolls.fandom.com/wiki/Campaign_(Legends)

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Just to clarify, the combat in etherlords is 100% card based, just the overworld is very heroes-like. It's closer to shandalar than anything.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Not sure how I missed this, but it looks like a decent little story driven co-op.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/983970/Haven/

Been watching Wanderbot and partner play it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rakOtEpOU40

Anyone played it?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Card Hunter, Steamworld Quest, or the whole Megaman Battle Network series that works on a hybrid cards/action system. And if you want a card-based system crossed with tactical strategy and an alt-hist civil war, there's Ironclad Tactics.

There's also the sequel to the old Pokemon Card Game Video Game if you're willing to get an emulator and find the translated rom. It might count as :filez:

And there's a number of games I've heard about but never really played like Baten Kaitos, Lost Kingdoms, and a slew of Yugioh games.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Had to send my gpu for an rma and now i am without a gpu just when i have some time to spend on Disco Elysium final cut. I am left with my 8600k with its igpu (Intel® UHD Graphics 630) . Any recommendation on something to kill time with while i wait for my gpu to return to me? I already have spent way too much time on FTL so dont want to do that again.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

ughhhh posted:

Had to send my gpu for an rma and now i am without a gpu just when i have some time to spend on Disco Elysium final cut. I am left with my 8600k with its igpu (Intel® UHD Graphics 630) . Any recommendation on something to kill time with while i wait for my gpu to return to me? I already have spent way too much time on FTL so dont want to do that again.

OpenTTD is my go to "lovely computer" game

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

ughhhh posted:

Most roguelikes! Caves of Qud, though I keep bouncing off of it myself, is fantastic. Tangledeep is goon-made. And Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup has a goon-made fork, because the devs for the main branch started taking out all these vegetables people were throwing in that were getting in the way of the stone. Darkest Dungeon isn't exactly a traditional roguelike, but it's still excellent. A Robot Named Fight, if you want a roguelite that wears its Super Metroid inspiration on its sleeve. Crypt of the Necrodancer for the best rhythm-based roguelite ever made.

I think even most potatoes can handle emulating NES/SNES/GBA/Genesis games, if you wanna get your retro on. :filez:

Baba Is You for a fantastic puzzle game. I'd also be very surprised if even a bad computer couldn't run SpaceChem.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 13, 2021

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post

Have you tried Thronebreaker? It's got a very light RPG framing device, but the entire game is built around a single player deckbuilder and it sounds like exactly what you're looking for.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Kvlt! posted:

This is the correct answer

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

ughhhh posted:

Can you run Slay the Spire?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Griftlands is run based, but runs take 3-4 times longer than StS

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

ughhhh posted:

Have you tried into the breach? from the creators of ftl. cleanest, slickest design in a strategy game I've ever seen. I've also had a blast playing wizard of legend recently so maybe give that a whirl. though roguelikes aren't my home turf.

If not, impressions city builders are my go-to for lovely computer situations. I can get endless fun out of pharaoh and caesar 3. esp. now that caesar 3 has a huge mod out for it. And the original starcraft, which is now free, i still enjoy playing occasionally w/ friends

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Thanks for the recommendations, will try them out. I hadn't read this thread and was going through my steam list seeing what was playable while wfh, and a surprising number of really good games can be played. Even cuphead can be run on the uhd 630 at 720p 60fps. I ended up trying Domina which is pretty slick.

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!

Kvlt! posted:

Mine are Colonization, Heroes3, and FreeCiv.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

ughhhh posted:

Factorio doesn't care about GPU that much. It does care a whole lot about memory latency, and iGPU usage will impact that, but it's probably still fine unless you're doing megabases.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

There's like six hundred Yu Gi Oh games and some of them are pretty good. There's also Dragon Ball Heroes.

e: Oh also Baten Kaitos kinda counts and Culdcept.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

kirbysuperstar posted:

There's like six hundred Yu Gi Oh games and some of them are pretty good.
Personal favorite is GX Duel Academy for the GBA, since it included a days of the week and locations system that actually mattered a bit more than the one in Worldwide Edition, etc., but that might just be nostalgia talking.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

My boy likes creating characters for games, then playing for about 5 minutes before wanting to make a new one. This is good for not needing to sub to anything, but is getting a bit repetitive after helping him make his 20th werewolf hunter. Wow has probably been the best, but over the last couple months we've also tried:

TESO, SWO, STO, NWN, Champions Online, DC Online, City of Heroes, Skylanders Imaginators, Star Wars Infinities (not an actually building characters but buckets of playable pcs) and Skyrim.

Any other games out there with good character builders? It doesn't need to be an MMO or even an RPG if there's a wide variety of distinct character races and classes and ideally a simple tutorial/first 10 minutes play. TESO and SWO have that and good controller support which was helpful.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Chubby Henparty posted:

My boy likes creating characters for games, then playing for about 5 minutes before wanting to make a new one. This is good for not needing to sub to anything, but is getting a bit repetitive after helping him make his 20th werewolf hunter. Wow has probably been the best, but over the last couple months we've also tried:

TESO, SWO, STO, NWN, Champions Online, DC Online, City of Heroes, Skylanders Imaginators, Star Wars Infinities (not an actually building characters but buckets of playable pcs) and Skyrim.

Any other games out there with good character builders? It doesn't need to be an MMO or even an RPG if there's a wide variety of distinct character races and classes and ideally a simple tutorial/first 10 minutes play. TESO and SWO have that and good controller support which was helpful.

Dragon’s Dogma’s character creator lets you go pretty wild. The first 10 minutes is dying to a dragon and running around a mostly empty town, if I remember

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Chubby Henparty posted:

Spore

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Chubby Henparty posted:

Fire Pro Wrestling World

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Dragon's Dogma has one of the best character builders I've ever seen because it allows you to do height and weight (with actual ingame consequences). You can even customize your legs separately from your chest and arms.

The downside is that Dragon's Dogma tries to limit your save slots so you only get to build a character twice (and there are ingame items that let you rebuild but they're expensive). On console you need to make separate profiles to get more save slots, but maybe it works differently on PC. Another on the plus side is that Dragon's Dogma has a pretty nice clothing systems where you can do layers.

Maybe Super Smash Brothers Ultimate? It's not really the best customization system, but I found creating Mii fighters a bit addicting.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Sorry if it's been asked recently, but any good realistic survival sandbox games? I just want to build a little hut in the wilderness and chill without being forced to fight ogres or zombies. The more laid-back, the better.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Eclipse12 posted:

Sorry if it's been asked recently, but any good realistic survival sandbox games? I just want to build a little hut in the wilderness and chill without being forced to fight ogres or zombies. The more laid-back, the better.

Unreal World is the king of this, followed by maybe the Long Dark.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

I've heard of Long Dark but the other is new to me. Thanks!

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

If you can stomach Epic, https://www.amongtreesgame.com/ is extremely peaceful and exactly that. When I played there were a couple of bears but no obligation to mess with them.

Thanks for the character-creator recs, didn't know Smash Bros had a creator, and am intrigued by crazy wrestler making...

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nice thing about wrestling games is that you can then make those 20 werewolf hunters fight each other in ai control.

In addition to Fire Pro, there's WWE games which are pretty bad as games, but their character creators are really nice (ignore Battlegrounds).

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Chubby Henparty posted:

If you can stomach Epic, https://www.amongtreesgame.com/ is extremely peaceful and exactly that. When I played there were a couple of bears but no obligation to mess with them.

Thanks for the character-creator recs, didn't know Smash Bros had a creator, and am intrigued by crazy wrestler making...

Thanks!

Basically, I'm looking for something that's not unlike the TV show Alone.

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021
Is there a turn-based racing game?

I love racing boardgames like Automobiles (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/180680/automobiles), Flamme Rouge (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/199478/flamme-rouge) or Rallyman (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/256589/rallyman-gt).

Does a videogame with this kind of mechanism exist on PC?
In the future, maybe The Cyclist: Tactics (https://store.steampowered.com/app/1237070/The_Cyclist_Tactics/) or Deck RX (https://store.steampowered.com/app/1529180/Deck_RX_The_Deckbuilding_Racing_Game/) but they are not out yet.

Loddfafnir fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Apr 30, 2021

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Qvadriga: https://store.steampowered.com/app/297760/Qvadriga/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If you want a certain board game experience but on a computer (maybe with online friends you can't meet in person), I'd recommend Tabletop Simulator, which is basically a physics engine that people import game assets into so you can play mostly like how you would in person. There's a number of officially supported games as well as an army of workshop mods that unofficially reproduce games.

If your computer isn't quite good enough for Tabletop Simulator or you don't wanna buy it for both yourself and the people you want to play with, there's Tabletopia and Board Game Arena, which both have premium services you have to pay for to get a wider selection of games, but only one person has to buy in and there's also a number of games that you can play for free. Tabletopia goes for an approach similar to Tabletop Simulator, but Board Game Arena seems to favor more redesigning the game's UI for use on computers. They also have poorer selections overall than TTS, but they seem to have more matchmaking services for if you want to play a game with strangers. Here's some options for both of them, but I haven't really played any.

https://en.boardgamearena.com/gamepanel?game=automobiles
https://tabletopia.com/games/rallyman-gt
https://tabletopia.com/games/the-great-race-south-america
https://tabletopia.com/games/k2
https://en.boardgamearena.com/gamepanel?game=k2
https://tabletopia.com/games/thunder-alley

I also know of a couple tabletop games that made their own digital versions that include single-player modes like Galaxy Trucker and Mille Bornes.