Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Homestuck eventually lead to Undertale, specifically Undertale music, so Homestuck is alright in my book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Its very important the undeserving dont get use or benefit of hypothetically anything ever, difficulty modes are a moral hazard.

I am big brain.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the solution is clear:
means-tested accessibility settings

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

Dan Olsen's fulfilled his Patreon goal of commenting on the failure of Doug's The Wall video.

https://youtu.be/rokAtlFGa7Y

this is turning out to be a hard watch because the analysis is very good but every time he cuts to walker's review my eyes and eardrums want to flee to the back of my head

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

Augus posted:

I'm not really sure how I feel about the frequent conflating of easy modes with accessibility options for people with disabilities tbqh. [...] . Specific options to address specific needs, clearly labeled and impossible to mistake for anything else.

Bakeneko posted:

If someone decides their game needs an easy mode, that’s fine. It’s their art and their decision, but likewise there’s nothing wrong with prioritizing other things.

I'm not tuned into the zeitgeist of these discussions, but the request I've heard, that I believe in, and is most persuasive to me is not to add in any singular "easy mode" per se, but simply to expose many more variables up to individual tweaking.

Speaking hypothetically, this could manifest in a game like Sekiro for things like widening (or shortening, to increase difficulty for those players who prefer it) parry windows, specific damage taken or given, detection radiuses, and many more things of that sort. I am not a game developer, so I can't speak to the limited labour issue, but I hope that a menu of that sort wouldn't present an overburden while allowing people to adjust the experience in an ad hoc fashion to their personal preference.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I read all of homestuck it was fine

It dragged in places and the fandom was awful but Hussie's a funny guy and he collaborated with a lot of cool artists. Even with year long hiatuses its incredible just how much content Homestuck pushed out.

I tried to read the epilogue and the offical continuation but i got bored with both pretty quickly. Also glad I didn't jump on the hiveswap kickstarter did that ever come out?

Megalovania and Sweet Bro/Hella Jeff are the real legacy if homestuck imo.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

ButterSkeleton posted:

For those who fall under a specific condition where easy mode will compensate for their disability, this is nice, but it's also going to be an excuse for people like game journalist types to play through a game faster and write an article sooner. It's also a way for people to have to think less.

It's like when there's steps and a ramp. People are likely to take the ramp instead of the stairs, even though it designed for disabled people to use. People will choose the ramp for themselves, even though they're in perfectly capable ability to take the stairs, to make their day easier...even though, again, it's designed to accommodate those who need it.

I'm afraid you have an acute case of "needstogooutsideitis". I highly recommend a daily session of "touch grass therapy" until you get better.

I'm doctor Jamie, and that has been my diagnosis.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Mr Phillby posted:

I read all of homestuck it was fine

It dragged in places and the fandom was awful but Hussie's a funny guy and he collaborated with a lot of cool artists. Even with year long hiatuses its incredible just how much content Homestuck pushed out.

I tried to read the epilogue and the offical continuation but i got bored with both pretty quickly. Also glad I didn't jump on the hiveswap kickstarter did that ever come out?

Megalovania and Sweet Bro/Hella Jeff are the real legacy if homestuck imo.

This post reminded me that there is a non-zero amount of overlap between the Homestuck OST and the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate OST. What a world.

EDIT: Hahaha I just remembered something else. Does anyone remember that guy who failed a toxx and had to mention that the 49ers are the best football team of all tike in every post he made for a year? Well, during that year he made an effortpost in the Homestuck thread about some plot development and just sort of weaved the 49ers thing into it and it made me laugh my rear end off.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 13, 2021

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

ButterSkeleton posted:

For those who fall under a specific condition where easy mode will compensate for their disability, this is nice, but it's also going to be an excuse for people like game journalist types to play through a game faster and write an article sooner. It's also a way for people to have to think less.

It's like when there's steps and a ramp. People are likely to take the ramp instead of the stairs, even though it designed for disabled people to use. People will choose the ramp for themselves, even though they're in perfectly capable ability to take the stairs, to make their day easier...even though, again, it's designed to accommodate those who need it.

Friend, I'm sorry to break this to you, but the games journalists are going to justify their Women and Gender Studies Bachelors all over Dark Souls whether the game has an easy mode or not.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Prokhor posted:

I'm not tuned into the zeitgeist of these discussions, but the request I've heard, that I believe in, and is most persuasive to me is not to add in any singular "easy mode" per se, but simply to expose many more variables up to individual tweaking.

Speaking hypothetically, this could manifest in a game like Sekiro for things like widening (or shortening, to increase difficulty for those players who prefer it) parry windows, specific damage taken or given, detection radiuses, and many more things of that sort. I am not a game developer, so I can't speak to the limited labour issue, but I hope that a menu of that sort wouldn't present an overburden while allowing people to adjust the experience in an ad hoc fashion to their personal preference.
That dishonored? Those look like great gameplay options.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

thank god i can't read

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Alaois posted:

thank god i can't read

reading is for nerds

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

So Capitan Smoker had Luffy caught but then a wizard appeared. Declared Luffy the Chosen One and then saved everyone and also smashed half the town.

Not feeling this at all

And why does that pink haired kid want to be a marine when 9/10 marine commanders are as corrupt if not more than the average pirate?

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Katt posted:

So Capitan Smoker had Luffy caught but then a wizard appeared. Declared Luffy the Chosen One and then saved everyone and also smashed half the town.

....Thats not really what happened at all??? Dragon is not a wizard, and he didn't say Luffy was "the chosen one" (Unless youre reading/watching a really bad fandub I guess lol

Katt posted:

Not feeling this at all

Yeah I can see that, you seem super cynical about the series for some reason. I guess its just not for you so maybe just give it up at this point. :shrug:

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
I am in awe of Mr. Walker's superhuman ability to be so aggressively ignorant of the cultural context that birthed Pink Floyd's The Wall.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Katt posted:

Not feeling this at all

And why does that pink haired kid want to be a marine when 9/10 marine commanders are as corrupt if not more than the average pirate?

helps to keep in mind that one piece's perspective is 99% from those who are rebelling against the government so the readers get to see most of its nastier side. for ordinary people, the world government's way more admirable (and definitely preferable to psychopaths like krieg and kuro deciding to raze your entire island on a whim)

there are decent people in the Marines but they're often bitter, frustrated, and constantly bashing their heads against leadership that's apathetic to ordinary people's concerns and beholden to a ruling class that doesn't give a single poo poo about anything but preserving its own supremacy

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I am in awe of Mr. Walker's superhuman ability to be so aggressively ignorant of the cultural context that birthed Pink Floyd's The Wall.

He doesn't seem to believe (or even be aware) you can and maybe should be aware of the culture that created the art he's discussing.

Or maybe he just flat out doesn't care and being extremely stupidly cynical while going "Plot hole much??? :smug: is what gets the views

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
"this world where kids grow up wanting to be hero cops is unrealistic"

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Jamie Faith posted:

....Thats not really what happened at all??? Dragon is not a wizard, and he didn't say Luffy was "the chosen one" (Unless youre reading/watching a really bad fandub I guess lol

He did say "It's not for us to come between that man and his chosen path" which is close enough.

Jamie Faith posted:

Yeah I can see that, you seem super cynical about the series for some reason. I guess its just not for you so maybe just give it up at this point. :shrug:

I'm cynical about everything. Especially anime so leave me alone.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Katt posted:

He did say "It's not for us to come between that man and his chosen path" which is close enough.

that is literally, grammatically the opposite of being a chosen one. one statement is about someone's self-determination, the other is about a path being determined for oneself

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Oxxidation posted:

that is literally, grammatically the opposite of being a chosen one. one statement is about someone's self-determination, the other is about a path being determined for oneself

He walks the chosen path. I swear I'm a few episodes away from finding out that Luffy is the abandoned son of the pirate king. Or he was born on the slopes of Mount-Awesome-Pirate etc.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Katt posted:

He wants to make things better, do the right thing as a marine and stuff.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

i'm watching the anime on Crunchyroll and the subtitles for that part said "what reason could there be to interfere with a man's departure?" which definitely didn't give me any "chosen one" vibes. seems like he just wants to respect the kid's decision to enter the grand line and wants to see if he can make something of himself there.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Augus posted:

i'm watching the anime on Crunchyroll and the subtitles for that part said "what reason could there be to interfere with a man's departure?" which didn't give me any "chosen one" vibes.

I mean he's a wizard showing up out of nowhere to smash a town so Luffy could could continue his adventure. It's not a general statement.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Katt posted:

He walks the chosen path. I swear I'm a few episodes away from finding out that Luffy is the abandoned son of the pirate king. Or he was born on the slopes of Mount-Awesome-Pirate etc.

man i thought i couldn't read

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
One Piece is about as far away from a "chosen one" story as you can get.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I certainly hope so.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Katt posted:

I'm cynical about everything. Especially anime so leave me alone.

Sorry man, I'm not trying to break your balls or whatever because you don't like the silly pirate anime but judging from your posts it does kinda seem like you went into the series wanting to hate it or something. Like you're allowed to not like it, that's fine, but alot of your complaints are like, reaching Mauler's Star Wars videos levels of just trying to find stuff to complain about imo. I just don't get it. :shrug:

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

BigRed0427 posted:

Homestuck is one of those things I always wanted to try but never did

My viewing experience of Homestuck was about as ideal as it could be without Homestuck itself being a better story. I started reading it knowing nothing about it, having gotten linked to Problem Sleuth via the blog "xckd sucks" and discovered that there was another story on the website. At this point, Homestuck had yet to finish its second act, and the internet hadn't been overexposed to it yet, so I was able to approach it with an open mind and plenty of time to let it unfold. As someone who has much more difficulty socializing offline than on, I resonated emotionally with the message that my online relationships were important and meaningful and that together we can accomplish great things.

My enthusiasm continued to burn brightly until sometime during Act 6 when the story started running out of steam, but I was still willing to push through to the end until the gigapause happened, the momentum of updates stopped dead, and I moved on before the site got its next update a full year later. Only about a month after I heard it ended did I fully catch up, and even though my enthusiasm was still gone I found a few things to like about the ending. Haven't been keeping up with the continuations of the story like Hivebent and the epilogues, because I closed the book on that part of my life and I don't like revisiting parts of my life that are definitively over.

I did not engage with the fandom at all beyond the part of the website where people were creating their own fan adventures, most of which aren't even Homestuck fanfiction, and some of which was sadly lost when the MSPA forums site was taken down right before the final update. I had my own idea for one of those, but my lack of drawing ability and fear of learning how to draw means I didn't act on this idea and I'm not sure if I still want to pursue it a decade later. I want to revisit the music now that my taste and knowledge of music has broadened, and find out if it's as amazing as it was to me back in the day. Maybe I'll also reread the comic itself, I dunno.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Iiiit's starting to lean that way with latest chapters though. THE EXTRA SECRET TRUE RULER BEHIND THE SUPER SECRET RULING ELDERS AND A GIANT STRAW HAT AW poo poo.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Yardbomb posted:

Iiiit's starting to lean that way with latest chapters though.

nah

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

ButterSkeleton posted:

Lmao imagine somebody looking at stairs with a ramp and going "but if you take the ramp you miss out on the full experience as the designers intended!!"

Accessibility isn't about segregating an experience, it's about making the experience equitable, jesus goons

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I stopped watching Doug... 10 years ago? Around the time I realised he wasn't actually doing a bit.

Homestuck, I never got out of the main-protagonist's room.

One Piece, I never jived with because the art-style wasn't my bag. There's a big dramatic moment that occurs in the middle of its run, that is completely ruined by the main character's facial expression. The goofy-art isnt suited to full-on pathos.

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

has an artist ever put a ninja warrior obstacle course between their artwork and the audience, i think that would be both hilarious and the only meaningful point of comparison between video game difficulty and barriers in appreciating other forms of art and media. or maybe a movie that stops playing until you solve a difficult math problem

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Terrible Opinions posted:

That dishonored? Those look like great gameplay options.

Dishonored 2, yeah.

It's frustrating how often people parse "Easy Mode" as a singular, cheap, and insultingly basic "take half damage, deal double damage" type thing when that sort of granular or multi-axis customization is decades old. It's a solved problem.

And then the goalposts shift to "if you can elect to make yourself invincible and have the game play itself, then everyone would just do that and ruin the game!!!" except...Control lets you do that, but outside of specific instances ("I hate the expeditions/arcade machine modes and just want the cool costumes") I've never seen someone say they played the game that way. It's always "I nudged the damage down to 70-80% and that felt just right for me".

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Katt posted:

He chose a path he wanted to follow.

Granted, luffys motivation is really subtle but if you read between the lines you'll realise that he really wants to be king of the pirates

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Ivypls posted:

has an artist ever put a ninja warrior obstacle course between their artwork and the audience, i think that would be both hilarious and the only meaningful point of comparison between video game difficulty and barriers in appreciating other forms of art and media. or maybe a movie that stops playing until you solve a difficult math problem

Thinking about all those people who have only read the abridged or annotated versions of books or read them in a classroom setting and I'm getting so mad that they experienced literature on easy mode instead of as intended.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

John Murdoch posted:

Thinking about all those people who have only read the abridged or annotated versions of books or read them in a classroom setting and I'm getting so mad that they experienced literature on easy mode instead of as intended.
People fishmeching by just reading the wikipedia article and then acting like they've watched something are genuinely infuriating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ivypls posted:

wouldn't the ninja warrior obstacle course itself be the artwork in this comparison