Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Julio Cruz posted:

Jacob deGrom has a 2.06 ERA since the start of the 2018 season

the Mets are 36-42 in his starts

And he's hitting 197/241/263 with 12 RBI in those starts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Joe West won a defamation lawsuit against Paul Lo Duca and was awarded $500,000 in damages. :stare:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Thom P. Tiers posted:

And he's hitting 197/241/263 with 12 RBI in those starts.

seems like he's just not a good team leader I guess

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Sydin posted:

Joe West won a defamation lawsuit against Paul Lo Duca and was awarded $500,000 in damages. :stare:

Joe's reign of terror will never end

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Julio Cruz posted:

Jacob deGrom has a 2.06 ERA since the start of the 2018 season

the Mets are 36-42 in his starts

That’s legit wild

They should win at least 65% of his starts

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

No Safe Word posted:

seems like he's just not a good team leader I guess

Even 3 years ago he was pitching deeper into games than he does now. In 2017 & 2018 he pitched into the 8th inning about 1/3rd of the time (19/63), since then only thrice in 46 starts. That's not entirely on him, it's just how starters get used these days. And since he's 33 and throwing harder than he's ever thrown while remaining the best pitcher in baseball over that stretch, it's hard to really fault the Mets... except for that 36-42 record when he starts.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Sydin posted:

Sounds like Lo Duca was in the wrong here but that's more money than people see from the preventable deaths of loved ones

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That's why you don't fight rear end in a top hat with rear end in a top hat.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I just checked Fangraphs on deGrom's fastball velocity. When he came up as a 26 year old he averaged 93.5 mph on his fastball. Four years later, in his first Cy Young season, it had jumped to 96 mph. So far this year, three years later, it's averaging 99.1 MPH. I can't recall another pitcher adding 5.5 MPH on their fastball as they get into their 30s.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Good Dog posted:

I always think back to 2012 when the Angels had one of the best offences in baseball and a starting rotation of Weaver, Greinke, Wilson, Haren and Santana with a solid bullpen and didn't even make the post season.

It seems like its been forever since they've even brought out a starting rotation that looks good "on paper" let alone actually performs. They always run out a bunch of #4-#5 starters that might be able to put it together long enough to not get straight up released.
And then that winter instead of trying to sign Greinke, Arte insisted on signing Josh Hamilton. Meanwhile Greinke went to the Dodgers, where he reeled off the best 3-year stretch of his career.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

habeasdorkus posted:

I just checked Fangraphs on deGrom's fastball velocity. When he came up as a 26 year old he averaged 93.5 mph on his fastball. Four years later, in his first Cy Young season, it had jumped to 96 mph. So far this year, three years later, it's averaging 99.1 MPH. I can't recall another pitcher adding 5.5 MPH on their fastball as they get into their 30s.

No other pitcher has had a reason to get this angry year over year.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Intruder posted:

Sounds like Lo Duca was in the wrong here but that's more money than people see from the preventable deaths of loved ones

Yeah the award seems outrageously high, particularly given the medium and audience scope of the actual defamatory claim. It's not like Lo Duca went on ESPN or a game broadcast and made the claim to potentially millions of viewers, he made a comment in some rinky dink sports betting podcast.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Braves moving Freeman back up to 2nd in the order as god intended (I would actually bat Ozzie cleanup but otherwise the best you can do with this bunch) https://twitter.com/mlbbowman/status/1382033708329402371?s=21

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
https://twitter.com/CoreyBrockMLB/status/1382033117297340419?s=19

https://youtu.be/1ercQOGIcAc

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Very nearly textbook Mariners prospect arc, except he was hurt when he was in New York too

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The natural state of a pitcher is hurt or ineffective

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/anthonydicomo/status/1382038824214265870?s=21

NEW YORK VALUES

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Sydin posted:

Imagine if news comes out that Cowboy Joe was actually fixing games, hahaha.

I have to imagine his defense was "I can't possibly have done that because a person doing that crime wouldn't be so loving inept at it or my regular job and also singing."

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

plausible deniability!

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

New York goons, is it still raining up there?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Not at my apartment, and i’m walking distance from citi field

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Casnorf posted:

I have to imagine his defense was "I can't possibly have done that because a person doing that crime wouldn't be so loving inept at it or my regular job and also singing."

He was never home plate ump in a game where Lo Duca caught Wagner, so it was obvious the story was bullshit from the beginning.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The perfect statline doesn't exi-

https://twitter.com/MLBONFOX/status/1381762004571062278

Hell yeah

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Nine innings or nothing. Hahahaha

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Traxis posted:

He was never home plate ump in a game where Lo Duca caught Wagner, so it was obvious the story was bullshit from the beginning.

Ah so it was just being lazy he's being punished for, not actually defaming a dude whose reputation presumably can't really get any worse and faced literally no monetary losses because of a spurious accusation?

I mean don't get me wrong I'm all for true things I just wish I didn't so strongly dislike everyone involved.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

habeasdorkus posted:

In 2017 MLB went from pitchf/x to Statcast and the speed of the ball started to be measured out of the hand instead of at some point closer to the plate. That accounts for some of the velocity gains.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/about-all-these-velocity-spikes/

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

this owns

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

In 2017 MLB went from pitchf/x to Statcast and the speed of the ball started to be measured out of the hand instead of at some point closer to the plate. That accounts for some of the velocity gains.

I was wondering about that, so that's a few of the MPH.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

even aside from that deGrom has added velocity in recent years, he really is an anomaly

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/sahadevsharma/status/1382065458270986240

Get vaccinated you dipshits

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Ok so I looked up the fastest softball thrown by a woman is 77 MPH. Presumably Hope wasn't throwing it that fast which means she must have some nasty movement or pinpoint accuracy.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Popete posted:

Ok so I looked up the fastest softball thrown by a woman is 77 MPH. Presumably Hope wasn't throwing it that fast which means she must have some nasty movement or pinpoint accuracy.

Remember the softball mound is only 43 feet, so as far as the hitter's reaction time is concerned, a 70 mph softball pitch is like a 100 mph baseball pitch. The bigger ball helps but those ladies who can regularly get past 70 mph are usually freakishly dominant.

In related news Jennie Finch destroying Pujols and Piazza is one of my favorite things.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

https://twitter.com/kaitlyncmcgrath/status/1382084066103730176

:smith:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Can someone do a post mortem on the cubs

What the gently caress happened, they disintegrated faster than the Blackhawks without even paying anyone. Surely dexter fowler wasn't the real key to titles

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
https://twitter.com/JaneOst_/status/1382067531251257344

I feel like I can't describe what happens here because you have to see it with your own two eyes

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

What the gently caress happened, they disintegrated faster than the Blackhawks without even paying anyone. Surely dexter fowler wasn't the real key to titles
For whatever reason the Cubs managed to get a big chunk of their roster to all peak in the same year.

Mollymauk
Apr 20, 2006

What's np in this stat line? I thought np is normally number of pitches.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

mastershakeman posted:

In absence of the time to do a big write up, here's the cliff's notes:

• Ownership invested a ton of money into renovating Wrigley, snapping up surrounding businesses in the neighborhood, and their own RSM, assuming it would all coalesce into an infinite money-making machine and tons of tax breaks and refunds from Chicago for the renovations. For various reasons this resulted in less revenue than was projected and Chicago told ownership the could take a hike when they came panhandling for public financing. Combined with the Cubs sitting over the luxury tax multiple years, ownership suddenly got stingy and essentially sat out of the last three offseasons worth of free agents, which left the Cubs unable to address glaring roster holes from 2018-present.

• What money was there was not spent well on free agents basically at all post-2017. Darvish eventually righted the ship, but Chatwood, Descalso, and the cavalcade of fringe arms and bats brought in sucked rear end.

• The core lineup consists entirely of launch angle type power hitters, which was a viable way to construct a team in 2015-2017 (and also was balanced out by contact bats like Zobrist, TLS, pre-foul ball incident Almora, Fowler) but is now hard countered by the high fastball revolution. This is partially on the FO, but also the players have shown no interest in adjusting their approaches at all, and ran the coach who tried to make them think about contact out of town (Chili Davis).

• The farm was run by an absolute loving dullard in Jason McLeod, who was convinced Kyle Hendricks was a repeatable market inefficiency instead of a goddamn unicorn, and so wasted almost a decade of Cubs pitching drafts on low-velo pitchability guys who almost to a man flamed out in the lower levels.

• What talent was in the farm was freely traded away for win now moves like Chapman, Quintana, Justin Wilson etc. This is a big one: teams like the Padres or Dodgers proved that if you're savvy enough you can hold on to your top guys and still pull off high impact trades, but the Cubs gleefully just handed over Gleyber, Eloy, Cease, Candy, Lange, etc. So they gutted their farm for additions that ultimately didn't really help winning much, outside of Chapaman and the hottest month of Castellanos' career.

• The Cubs are now currently in full crying poverty mode, salary dumping their best pitcher for lottery tickets and backfilling the roster with scrap heap guys they hope will look good enough to flip at the deadline. Based on the kinds of prospects the FO is now targeting, and the sheer number of guys in walk years who were lucky to get token extension talks thrown their way, it's pretty clear the plan is a 2-3 year mini-tank to reset the tax, give Ricketts a chance to recoup some losses by running a minimalist payroll, and try again in the 2024-2025 range when (hopefully) all the high upside A-ball guys we have are ready to hit the bigs.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Apr 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I'm sure the pandemic had some impact on the Ricketts' Wrigleyville cashflow but there is zero chance all that stuff isn't a moneymaking machine generally and in the long term. In particular it's one that will make more money if the team is good but which is shielded from MLB revenue sharing.