Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

They shut down the track in summer?

:psypop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

MomJeans420 posted:

That's a nice looking garage, is it reasonably priced per day?

https://www.ridesmart.info

It's pretty expensive relative to the few remaining other Texas tracks.

It's about $75 cheaper in the summer, at $399. Paddocks are divided into six spots per garage and are $75, but there are power outlets, they get you out of any sun or rain, and there are two bathrooms per garage so it's worth it to have unless you or friends own a toy hauler with AC, etc.

In comparison, MSR Houston and Cresson are $170 per day, and as I recall you just grab a spot in the paddock/parking lot which may or may not have a covered overhang, and you'll typically need a generator of you need electricity .

I would like to try the LA supermoto school one day.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

AZ probably melts tires in the summer

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Russian Bear posted:

Where do you go for track days in AZ? (Hopefully SoAZ)
I did AZ Motorsports Park way out in the west valley in Phoenix. It's a small track with no garages or anything, pretty much just a parking lot with some awnings for set up, so it gets warm quick. https://xceltrackdays.com/
Only went once so far a couple years ago in November, and it was in the 80s for a high still.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This was May last year, which is the latest they do track days, it only gets worse from there!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That’s what we call the Arizona reverse winter.

In wisconsin in January/February I can basically only go from my heated house to my heated car to my heated office and back again.

In Phoenix in, what, may to September? You can basically only go from your air conditioned house to your air conditioned car to your air conditioned office and back

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

In Phoenix in, what, may to September? You can basically only go from your air conditioned house to your air conditioned car to your air conditioned office and back

A monument to man's arrogance.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Phoenix is a living tribute to our hubris as a species. Not even plants live there

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

mewse posted:

AZ probably melts tires in the summer
Found this footage of someone trying to ride track in July

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

MetaJew posted:

It's about $75 cheaper in the summer, at $399. Paddocks are divided into six spots per garage and are $75, but there are power outlets, they get you out of any sun or rain, and there are two bathrooms per garage so it's worth it to have unless you or friends own a toy hauler with AC, etc.

drat, your own bathrooms in the garage is probably worth it.

re: hot areas and track days, some of the groups day early days at Chuckwalla during the summer, 7am to 3pm. Seems like a decent approach, although I hate waking up early.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Phoenix is a living tribute to our hubris as a species. Not even plants live there

I remember seeing pictures a couple years ago of wheely-bin trash cans literally melting into the street.

I can't imagine what that's like on a motorcycle. Especially an air cooled motorcycle.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Air "cooled".

You just have to get up early and have your outdoor activities done by 9am in the summer. We also have a bunch of mountains you can escape to altitude and lower temps.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 13, 2021

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I remember my first summer living in Tucson, I went to get the mail without shoes on because the driveway was only like 20 feet long.

Huge mistake.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Rolo posted:

I remember my first summer living in Tucson, I went to get the mail without shoes on because the driveway was only like 20 feet long.

Huge mistake.

3rd degree burns suck.

Russian Bear posted:

Air "cooled".

You just have to get up early and have your outdoor activities done by 9am in the summer. We also have a bunch of mountains you can escape to altitude and lower temps.

Then its only 100F instead of 140F.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Rolo posted:

Huge mistake.

I grew up in the Middle East, being outside without shoes/sandals isn't a thing in general. Also, everything is air conditioned.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

cursedshitbox posted:

Then its only 100F instead of 140F.

Yeah?? 100F is a nice spring day, right? (maybe i'm broken now)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

To be fair to PHX, it’s not as bad with zero humidity, but 100+ temps are still 100+ temps no matter which way you cut it

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Russian Bear posted:

Yeah?? 100F is a nice spring day, right? (maybe i'm broken now)

Sure is! (I'm broken too). I was out pushing pedalbikes in 100F temps a few weeks ago. Dirtbikes? psh shits easy.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

MomJeans420 posted:

drat, your own bathrooms in the garage is probably worth it.

re: hot areas and track days, some of the groups day early days at Chuckwalla during the summer, 7am to 3pm. Seems like a decent approach, although I hate waking up early.

Pooping with a one piece leather suit on or cycle skins is still something I haven't tried to do in a public bathroom.

No way I want to leave that stuff on the floor, and none of the bathrooms had coat hangers.

I guess when you're Rossi or Hamilton, you have a pit crew member holding your clothes for your just outside the door.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

The one true benefit of the two piece suit.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I meant to add earlier that my buddies and I were having that exact discussion around socal supermoto - there's a porta potty trackside, but we couldn't think of a way of pooping in a porta potty while wearing a one piece suit that didn't end in pain and your suit not coming home in the car. I think your only option is to just fully remove the suit and then go in. There is a proper bathroom at the main office of Adam's Motorsports Park, but it's kind of far from the track (not really, but everything feels 10x as far in a suit).

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Strip out of the suit. That's what baselayers are for.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

cursedshitbox posted:

Strip out of the suit. That's what baselayers are for.

Until i cut a butt-flap in this thing, I still have a problem.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I have that same undersuit and it is incredibly unflattering when you're rocking the quarantine 15 (lbs). But it is easier to pull down, although I'm not sure about pulling it down in a porta potty. I'll report back after Sunday.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

It's fine, you can pull it down and then kinda wrap it around in front. Super annoying, but I've done it before.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Spiffness posted:

I see you with that new orange Reckless

I snagged the orange BC35s & 40L duffel the second I saw them, fly as hell

:hellyeah:

they're sick. the new reckless is nice since you can more easily fit a 22L stinger in the beavertail now. I had to wrangle the old one before. doable, but definitely a pita

Oibignose
Jun 30, 2007

tasty yellow beef
Took the Trident out to see some local sites.

Stonehenge

Leaning tower of Pisa

First service completed. Feels good.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

Its camouflaged next to the Er5, do you think the wife will notice?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Camo Bike: death please

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Salisbury Snape posted:

It melds into the bin and nearby foliage very well, very difficult to spot.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Oibignose posted:

Took the Trident out to see some local sites.

Stonehenge

I used to like offroading near Stonehenge, I think they closed them recently? Are there still all those cones along the road?

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

Rolo posted:

Camo Bike: death please

Now nobody can see me :stonks:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Salisbury Snape posted:

godawful geiger-esque paintjob on it and PO still fitted a tank bra. There's just no helping some people

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

I think I just have a thing for buying bikes with strange paint jobs on the cheap because most everyone else wouldn't touch them. If I sort the couple of small issues with the sprint and give it a nice fresh paintjob it's worth double the money I paid for it.
I don't completely hate the paintjob, it could be a lot worse, but the tank bra needs to go. Problem is its hiding some awful bubbling so I need to either look at a second hand tank or spend some serious time taking it back to metal before spraying it again

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That tiger's so well hidden I thought it was a Triumph dragon at first.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Hidden Tiger Tail of Dragon

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

My Rad Power City 3 step-through finally arrived, assembly was pretty easy. I took a really bad photo of it because they're ripping up my street and it's a mess, so this was the best I could do. I'm glad I got the seven speed per CA's recommendation, the battery helps a lot but I have a lot of steep hills in the area and trying to get moving up one of the steeper ones in 7th was a fair amount of work. I got this for someone who doesn't drive and was pulling a wagon to the grocery store to run errands, so while it's not a full car replacement it's pretty useful compared to the bus or walking. I wouldn't mind an electric mountain bike, my friend's dad has a really nice one and it's like cheat mode even against guys who cycle all the time (at least going uphill), but I think it was $10k+ mountain bike and at that point I'd just get a nicer motorcycle.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I rode tail of the dragon in pennsylvania, here is a short video https://www.relive.cc/view/vMq57MLZNQO

The really interesting section is pretty short, maybe a dozen turns. I noticed people doing a loop just to ride that more than once. I can pull up a footage on my camera if anyone interested to see that

Edit: actually, here is a quintessential Boomer video about it https://youtu.be/qcCF7FEiVRk

Ran into a group of adv riders on the way back. Mostly big ktms and GSs, few sumos in the mix. The great thing about him was that they must have went through a swamp or a stream, because entire group was half way covered in mud, must have been at least 2 ft deep.

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 21, 2021

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
we need a scholarship or exchange program to get motorcyclists from areas of curve deprivation to california

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Sorry, just noticed there was no orange on this page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
drat cool.