Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
The kid has psychological hang-ups over disappointing his father as a result of getting his leg seriously injured in a football game, thus crushing his father's hopes that the kid would be a football star. So, no reading the sports section.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Kennel posted:

I really want to know how this ends (or why it's such a big deal).

It's a weird little EC series that is basically just dramatizations of psychoanalysis (as the title suggests). This case is about a kid who is spoiled and pampered and winds up kind of snide and rotten. He winds up stealing a watch so he gets sent to the titular psychoanalysis, in which it comes out that he was stealing to push back on his parents' controlling behavior and that his asthma is psychosomatic.

Eventually it turns out he has a hatred of sports because his dad was a star college athlete and had high expectations for him that he was neurotic about not meeting. He wound up joining the football team and got badly hurt while trying to recreate a bold move his dad had pulled off once and his dad blamed him for it, accusing him of loving up on purpose to throw the game and spite the family tradition.

It all gets a little baroque but by the end he resolves that liking arts and culture doesn't make him less of a man and that he can be interested in sports without getting bound up in his horrible dad's weird mind-games. Although since this is a 1950s comic book version of psychoanalysis it's more like "well now, since you understand now how you've disappointed and thwarted your father, you can now embrace him and make peace with him" instead of "your father is awful and is projecting his stupid issues onto you, sheesh I'm sorry."

The whole issue run is currently in print through the EC Archives put out by Dark Horse and it's really weird and cool. I like comics and have a pretty strong research interest in mid-20th century psychoanalytical theory so I love having it, but it's goofy enough that I also just recommend it strongly to EC fans. Each issue is split up into four patients and over the four issues we follow each of them in through four separate sessions so it's kind of a neat structure too (kind of, one of the patients is cured in issue #3 and doesn't show up in the last issue). Is it a good comic? No no no not at all. It's drawn by Jack Kamen, one of the duller EC artists, and while it was, interestingly, partially written by Dan Keyes of "Flowers For Algernon" fame it is pretty clunky and the therapeutic approach shown here often looks loving ghastly to modern eyes. However it is super duper suis generis, it is absolutely unlike anything else out there and is probably one of EC's wildest swings for the fences after having to shutter so much of their line. Absolutely bananas stuff.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Apr 12, 2021

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
that's kinda neat!

cannot remember the actual comic this is from, sorry.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

In Grant Morrison's "Zenith", a cabal of extremely powerful superhumans have issued an ultimatum to the world's governments. Zenith, a second generation superhero/pop star, and St John, a first generation superhero/MP, have come to confront them.

Also Acid Archie is there, who is a bright pink disco robot.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
God I fuckin loved Zenith When I was a kid, I should reread that.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
I was actually reading 2000ad when that arc was published. Such a great ending.

I got nostalgic for a bunch of 2000ad stories last year and read the earlier Zenith arcs too. Its not obvious here but I love how Zenith is a self-centred dick through the whole thing. Also, the politician dude there is a Tory, and I'm sure it's implied he used his powers to get Thatcher elected.

It's a really weird take on superheroes, so in conclusion, read Zenith.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

After decades of rights issues, you can get all of Zenith collected in four hardcovers and it's well worth it.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

How Wonderful! posted:

Is it a good comic? No no no not at all. It's drawn by Jack Kamen, one of the duller EC artists, and while it was, interestingly, partially written by Dan Keyes of "Flowers For Algernon" fame it is pretty clunky and the therapeutic approach shown here often looks loving ghastly to modern eyes. However it is super duper suis generis, it is absolutely unlike anything else out there and is probably one of EC's wildest swings for the fences after having to shutter so much of their line. Absolutely bananas stuff.
I like it. Things get melodramatic, but the drama is compelling, and it has the sort of actual character study that would be hard to find in comics (outside of romance comics, arguably) until the mid-'80s or so. And the art feels well-suited to the content, very grounded and prosaic. Someone like Wood or Wolverton would have been a waste for all the scenes of people sitting in the office and talking out their resentful backstories.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
"just increase your production of serotonin" easy for you to say, mister superhero.

... Control over brain chemistry would be an amazing superpower.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Wayyy back in the day I was playing a superhero tabletop RPG and my character's power was complete control over his body chemistry, which let him manifest brief bursts of superhuman agility or strength as he increased his adrenaline levels and other things like that, let him hyper-concentrate on problems to gain intelligence boosts, etc. It also gave him situational bonuses to charisma and resistance to pain. The downside was using his powers gave him mood swings like a motherfucker.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Zetsubou-san posted:

that's kinda neat!

cannot remember the actual comic this is from, sorry.

It's from Deadpool Corps, not sure which issue. You can tell because Headpool is there. (Decapitated gead from one of the zombie universes. Flies using a propeller beanie.)

Unrelated.

WildC.A.T.S. v1 #24

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
R.I.P. H.A.R.M. you truly lived your dream.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Dareon posted:

"just increase your production of serotonin" easy for you to say, mister superhero.

... Control over brain chemistry would be an amazing superpower.

In fairness, everyone in that room would be potentially able to that, other than Archie.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

In Grant Morrison's "Zenith", a cabal of extremely powerful superhumans have issued an ultimatum to the world's governments. Zenith, a second generation superhero/pop star, and St John, a first generation superhero/MP, have come to confront them.

Are you sure this is the right thread cos the way Archie went out was both tragic and badass
before the twist reveal at the end of the story at least

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Fantastic Four #56 (1966)

Mighty Samson #6 (1966)

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

(Man-Thing #2)

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Unkempt posted:

(Man-Thing #2)

Please, like I specifically requested at the beginning of this meeting, no questions about my name.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Unkempt posted:

(Man-Thing #2)

"But I'm a geologist."

"Fifty. Thousand. Dollars."

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Unkempt posted:

(Man-Thing #2)

He really does not get on with his mother's two sisters.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
I'm betting that's actually Red Skull in disguise.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I appreciate his specifying that the money is tax free to people who apparently file taxes, presumably listing as self-employed and "hired killer" under their profession

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

site posted:

I appreciate his specifying that the money is tax free to people who apparently file taxes, presumably listing as self-employed and "hired killer" under their profession

Well taxes is how they got Capone, so have to be on the up and up there.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

site posted:

They're some of the nation's top scientists!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

site posted:

Just pull off a Lex Luthor. You're not killing a person, you are solving a problem. So put it down as a Consultation fee.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

site posted:

Look, accountants will tell you even if you're a drug dealer you pay taxes on your income.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

What exactly are the antagonists's ultimatum to the world's governments here?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Zil posted:

I never knew of Chipmunk Hunk before, I guess I need to read Squirrel Girl.

You're in for a treat, friend.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Red posted:

You're in for a treat, friend.

It’s NYC they’ve already got a Spider-Man to deal with things

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

amigolupus posted:

What exactly are the antagonists's ultimatum to the world's governments here?

Well they broke StJohn's favourite paperweight, for one thing.

Then they did this.

Exactly the kind of thing you'd send a pink disco robot to deal with.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

thetoughestbean posted:

It’s NYC they’ve already got a Spider-Man to deal with things

That threat and/or menace?! No wonder SG needs to make sure things are buttoned down!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Seeing people not having read usg gives me the same reaction to people somehow not reading immortal hulk

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Exactly the kind of thing you'd send a pink disco robot to deal with.

Maybe its me, but I feel that the Venn diagram of "things that need to dealt with" and "things that I can send a pink disco robot to deal with" is probably a circle.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
That...
Explains a lot about Tom King's style of writing.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I'm sorry, what am I looking at again?

Rorschach(?), a lady Lone Ranger(??), and Frank Miller(???) talking about coffee and god, trying to do a Grant Morrison's Animal Man? I dunno about funny, but without context it sure looks cringe as hell.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
as far as i understand the comics industry decided that watchmen needed further books set in its world and that's part of it

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Saoshyant posted:

I'm sorry, what am I looking at again?

Rorschach(?), a lady Lone Ranger(??), and Frank Miller(???) talking about coffee and god, trying to do a Grant Morrison's Animal Man? I dunno about funny, but without context it sure looks cringe as hell.

I'm assuming it is from Tom King's Rorschach book. Which, like everything else Watchmen related that isn't directly done by Alan Moore, didn't need to exist.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Rorschach is pretty good. It's not what you'd think, but I'd expect nothing less from comic fans to dunk on something they haven't read because it's different from the original.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Somberbrero posted:

It's not what you'd think

Well, what is it about? Looking into Tom King, he wrote that Vision comic five years ago that I rather liked, but that's as far as my experience with his work goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

muscles like this! posted:

I'm assuming it is from Tom King's Rorschach book. Which, like everything else Watchmen related that isn't directly done by Alan Moore, didn't need to exist.

I was linked a tweet about it that showed up in Discord but I can't access otherwise, so I'm quoting the tweet here and linking the reply with the image.

"somehow this ends (I am not making this up) with Frank Miller dressed in a Rorschach costume sitting making a speech about how the real events of Watchmen made him realize The Dark Knight Returns is poo poo compared to the original Spider-Man comics"

https://twitter.com/HugoBedward/status/1382005077427228681?s=20