Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

qirex posted:

the google play book store will eventually be relaunched under the name google reader, angering everybody

too soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

mediaphage posted:

i’m actually kind of boring when it comes to burgers. bacon cheese or a black and bleu are as crazy as i tend to get. and a thin soft bun, gently caress all of these gourmet~~~~ burgers that are on hard bread that you can’t fit in your mouth without unhinging your goddamned jaw

slice it in half

you'll feel like a turbo weener for the four seconds it'll take you to touch your hamburger with utensils, and a fuckin genius for hte rest of the meal as you eat your tasty burger with your normal human mouth, without anything exploding

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

flakeloaf posted:

slice it in half

you'll feel like a turbo weener for the four seconds it'll take you to touch your hamburger with utensils, and a fuckin genius for hte rest of the meal as you eat your tasty burger with your normal human mouth, without anything exploding

are you saying to slice both burger and bun in half horizontally

because otherwise one of these would still be too thick to fit in your mouth even if it’s in two pieces now

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

qirex posted:

the google play book store will eventually be relaunched under the name google reader, angering everybody

lmao yeeesssss :getin:

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I used google play movies or whatever a few times and it was fine

I'm sure google presents youtube movies and tv will be mostly fine except when it isn't until google rolls that into another service

lmao

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

lol, from that article:
https://arstechnica.com/series/google-kills-product/

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

infernal machines posted:

i think the 'pos actually liked wave, tbh

summon rotor, he'd know

wave would have been fine if it wasn't hyped up to hell and back. it shoulda just been a feature of gdocs/gmail

I was interviewed on the radio for it in nz, lol. they asked me stuff like will it replace email. i said no. looks like i am a digital prophet

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

qirex posted:

I feel like we’re going to find out some day that, much like launching a new product is the best way to get promoted for product management and tech leads, the best way to get promoted in the finance department was to kill an unprofitable product

google is trying this new thing called financial discipline, only they’re going about it in the most circular way so as not to spook the ball pit crowd. sundar and ruth know what needs to be done, but they also know that they have a culture that is designed to resist adult supervision and they will have riots if the geniuses feel pressure to do something like maintain or invest in their projects rather than optimize for promotion.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

quote:

Google shuts down Trusted Contacts, its emergency location sharing app
The app would let loved ones ping your location if they were worried about you.

Lol this is a new one to me and i find them killing something like this to be funny for some dark reason i can't explain

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Last Chance posted:

Lol this is a new one to me and i find them killing something like this to be funny for some dark reason i can't explain
worried relatives tend to spend hours using google search to try and find any trace of their missing loved ones; Trusted Contacts was found to be cutting in to all that sweet, sweet engagement and was therefore shut down as it was not aligned with googles overall corporate strategy

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Last Chance posted:

i mean i guess apple has this with find my basically forever?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

google actually premiered that feature with latitude years ago and like most early and unusual google stuff it was great so they killed it.

but fmf when it came out was a great replacement.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Last Chance posted:

lol nobody cares about android owners enough to use it

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Imagine ever having to think or care about android services or anything Google pushes besides gmail and search

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

FMguru posted:

worried relatives tend to spend hours using google search to try and find any trace of their missing loved ones; Trusted Contacts was found to be cutting in to all that sweet, sweet engagement and was therefore shut down as it was not aligned with googles overall corporate strategy

but think of all the ads for private eyes and divorce attorneys google could target to its most active "find my loved ones" users

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

mediaphage posted:

google actually premiered that feature with latitude years ago and like most early and unusual google stuff it was great so they killed it.
it's built-in to maps now

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

butt dickus posted:

it's built-in to maps now

unless they've made a recent update though it's not nearly as useful or as responsive. the last time i tried it half the time it just didn't work and about half the rest would be delayed by up to several hours.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

mediaphage posted:

unless they've made a recent update though it's not nearly as useful or as responsive. the last time i tried it half the time it just didn't work and about half the rest would be delayed by up to several hours.

only with iphone users in my experience and only initially

also the feature of the emergency contact app is that you could quickly have a contact to ping in case of an emergency with pre-given permission for location sharing and thats built into the pixel safety app

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

I used google play movies or whatever a few times and it was fine

I'm sure google presents youtube movies and tv will be mostly fine except when it isn't until google rolls that into another service

lmao

what theyre shutting down is just the preinstalled app on smart tvs. any media purchased through there is now and always has been available in the youtube app which is certainly also installed on those same smart tvs under library

the google tv and movies app on phones went away last year in a rebranding called google tv (so exactly like we were saying about microsoft reusing names for totally different products) and that app afaict is basically an aggregator app for all your streaming services and is the front end for the new chromecast (technically called "chromecast with google tv"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

does chromecast with google tv run stadia yet

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

we just had an ~*innovation*~ guy talk in our all hands and he thought the google graveyard was a) an official google site and b) used by them as an inspirational tool to show their commitment to not getting attached to unsuccessful products

I did not bother correcting him, the ceo was on the line

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
that dude owned ur company so fuckin hard

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

qirex posted:

we just had an ~*innovation*~ guy talk in our all hands and he thought the google graveyard was a) an official google site and b) used by them as an inspirational tool to show their commitment to not getting attached to unsuccessful products

100-year lows of pleasure detected

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

LastInLine posted:

what theyre shutting down is just the preinstalled app on smart tvs. any media purchased through there is now and always has been available in the youtube app which is certainly also installed on those same smart tvs under library

"new purchases made on YouTube don't support family sharing across family-member accounts. The Google Play TV watchlist also won't be making the jump. Additionally, there are several forum complaints already saying that the YouTube app on certain platforms lacks the surround sound audio or HDR support that Play Movies had."

it seems bad

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

qirex posted:

lol

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

crepeface posted:

"new purchases made on YouTube don't support family sharing across family-member accounts. The Google Play TV watchlist also won't be making the jump. Additionally, there are several forum complaints already saying that the YouTube app on certain platforms lacks the surround sound audio or HDR support that Play Movies had."

it seems bad

honestly didnt know family sharing worked before

Endless Mike posted:

does chromecast with google tv run stadia yet

not that ive seen but i could be wrong

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

qirex posted:

lmao

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

qirex posted:

It's starting to really hurt my soul just how far some people can apparently get in life via a combo of confidence and Dunning-Kruger.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

crepeface posted:

an update on chrome/chromium-based browsers/apps broke physical media controls in youtube music (and youtube?)

the chaser:

in more news about this, the media keys in the web app that you install through chrome now works. however, if you have more than one youtube (like maybe you converted your google music account as a seperate youtube music account because you didn't want your youtube videos watches topollute your music account) you cannot have the browser/regular youtube logged into a different account to the music app. basically, everytime you want to play music or watch a video, you have to swap accounts.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

an anroid tablet review

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

mediaphage posted:

an anroid tablet review

Crazy!

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

mediaphage posted:

an anroid tablet review

suits my needs

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Gentle Autist posted:

suits my needs

Lol

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
Re: Andoird: Tough Enough To Survive Mental Illness

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/05/stadias-vp-and-head-of-product-leaves-google/

Stadia VP and head of product leaves Google.

yet another product is being led out back

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
stadios

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

stadiouya

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

sb hermit posted:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/05/stadias-vp-and-head-of-product-leaves-google/

Stadia VP and head of product leaves Google.

yet another product is being led out back

wow, surely no one saw this coming

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
promotion package status: not successfully assembled :(

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
they realized they would make more money flipping the gpus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sapozhnik posted:

promotion package status: not successfully assembled :(

since they linked the guy's linkedin it says he was there for 2 years, 5 months so he got at least 2/3 of his initial RSUs vested and saw the house burning down around him