Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

PMush Perfect posted:

Someone, at some point in their MechWarrior career, has referred to an AC-20 as a noob tube. Probably right before getting sublimated.

SRM-6 is the noob-tube

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
In universe, it doesn't happen because nearly every loadout is stock. "Frankenmechs" get complained about a lot, but anyone who can afford to have a 'Mech customized is wealthy beyond criticism. Even Hanse Davion bummed around in a bog-standard BattleMaster (and Takashi Kurita had it even worse: he was a Dragon pilot).

There's also a big disconnect between weapon and 'Mech tabletop stats and the weapon's perceived performance in-universe, too.

For example: The Autocannon/2 is total garbage but in terms of tabletop stats a single shot from an AC/2 is still enough to instantly destroy a normal car. Or you could use one to take out a particularly well built house or McDonalds (or other lightly constructed building) in 80 seconds or less. An AC/2 can even destroy a hardened ferrocrete (space concrete) bunker with 10 minutes of sustained fire, which is pretty respectable for a weapon that does the same damage as a .50 cal machine gun.

The AC/2 is awful at fighting 'Mechs, but if there was a mission in HBS BattleTech where you had to stop a VIP from fleeing in his 3022 Buick LeTardigrade an AC/2 would be a great choice since all you'd need was a clear sight lane and boom. A weapon that's bad at fighting 'Mechs isn't necessarily a bad weapon, it's just bad for nearly every combat scenario you'll bump into in standard tabletop play.

Likewise, the Shadow Hawk is a lot of Inner Sphere Mechwarriors' favorite 'Mech even though the canon versions are nearly all chronic under-performers that range in usefulness in tabletop play from 'marginal' to 'outright bad.' It's one of those 'Mechs that's fine for shooting up Stingers and Wasps and intimidating peasants but total poo poo at everything else. Buuuuut they're easy to fix, parts for repairs are common as dirt and cheap, and they have a comfortable cockpit layout with good air conditioning. None of those things are useful in actual tabletop play (unless you're playing a campaign) but it's understandable why they'd make some green Lieutenant happy, especially if they were out in the boonies or got rotated onto pirate-hunting duty.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Apr 13, 2021

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
The AC2? Garbage. 3 UAC2s though...

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

PoptartsNinja posted:

In universe, it doesn't happen because nearly every loadout is stock. "Frankenmechs" get complained about a lot, but anyone who can afford to have a 'Mech customized is wealthy beyond criticism. Even Hanse Davion bummed around in a bog-standard BattleMaster (and Takashi Kurita had it even worse: he was a Dragon pilot).

I'm still going to criticize that amazingly lovely PPC Orion in the Kell flashpoint

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Yeah, that one's total garbage.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Effectively in game, Yang is an utterly insane genius who can DO things to mechs that are frankly obscene. Those load-outs canonically would be something that takes a full design team prehaps YEARS to come up with in a way that doesn't unbalance the mech and have it just keel over randomly

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

PoptartsNinja posted:

a VIP from fleeing in his 3022 Buick LeTardigrade

Surprising: GM survived until the 3020s

Shocking: Buick survived until the 3020s

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I don't think it did, I was just pulling a random vehicle name out of a hat.

Pontiac is still around in 3050, though! They make autocannons

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Much like Shadowrun, a lot of modern day (at least back then) survived way into the future.
As I recall GM is a major manufacturer of engines in the BT-verse.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cooked Auto posted:

Much like Shadowrun, a lot of modern day (at least back then) survived way into the future.

Also the Blackjack!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

In some cases interstellar Travel allowed for the survival of many corporations because they could set themselves up as the ONLY game in town for some planets.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
And there is no corporation around that's more evil than the Ryan Ice Cartel. Even the corporations in Kurita space that put their employees to work for 16 hours a day (manufacturing what I can only assume are smoke breaks) look at the Ryan Cartel holding entire worlds for ransom and say: "Ehhhh. Maybe we shouldn't go quite that far."

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

There's a novel called Up Against It about a cartel putting a water squeeze on an asteroid community. It's a pretty common theme.

Oh, and Nestle does it.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

PoptartsNinja posted:

And there is no corporation around that's more evil than the Ryan Ice Cartel. Even the corporations in Kurita space that put their employees to work for 16 hours a day (manufacturing what I can only assume are smoke breaks) look at the Ryan Cartel holding entire worlds for ransom and say: "Ehhhh. Maybe we shouldn't go quite that far."

I mean, when you have the word Cartel in your name, that sends a pretty clear picture of exactly the sort of people you are.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Infamous space pirate "Redjack" Ryan was (supposedly) a direct descendant of the man who started the Ryan Ice Cartel.

This was considered such a positive and beneficent career move that the Kell Hounds took pity on the Ryan family and only dispatched a single lance of rookie Mechwarriors to capture Redjack's son Kenny.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

Also the Blackjack!

GM's Okayest Product

warning: the edge of a deep YouTube hole, enter at your own risk

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Another thing about the ac2 that isn't reflected in this game is that it's a great anti-air gun. Most of the special ammo types are either extinct or haven't been invented yet, but you can put flat rounds into an AC and slap fighters out of the sky with it.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Defiance Industries posted:

Another thing about the ac2 that isn't reflected in this game is that it's a great anti-air gun. Most of the special ammo types are either extinct or haven't been invented yet, but you can put flat rounds into an AC and slap fighters out of the sky with it.

Yesm

And for those who don't know, Battletech kind of started from Macross, ie Giant robots that turn into space fighter jets, So Aerospace fighters are a thing in battletech and they are deadly

https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Thunderbird An example of a heavy aerospace fighter.

I mean in this game they took the AC-2, turned it into an AC-5. Made the AC-5 into an AC-9 and the AC-10 is an AC-12 really.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
And it's pretty telling that even doing 5 (tabletop) damage the AC/2 is still bad.

There's a reason I turned it into a 6 damage Light Gauss Rifle (and buffed its range, while letting it keep all the AA flak options) in the other thread.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

And it's pretty telling that even doing 5 damage the AC/2 is still bad.

I mean kinda yes.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

AtomikKrab posted:

Yesm

And for those who don't know, Battletech kind of started from Macross, ie Giant robots that turn into space fighter jets, So Aerospace fighters are a thing in battletech and they are deadly

https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Thunderbird An example of a heavy aerospace fighter.

I mean in this game they took the AC-2, turned it into an AC-5. Made the AC-5 into an AC-9 and the AC-10 is an AC-12 really.

There are also Land-Air Mechs, which do the full transformation thing.

Great pains were taken to obliterate any trace of them from the setting.

soulmata
Jun 19, 2019

BOOSTIN BOOSTIN BOOSTIN MAKES ME FEEL GOOD

AtomikKrab posted:

I am faaaairly certain there is no need for THAT much ammo, 6 tons for each set of guns

I use 6 tons total for a 2x uac/20 wielding kgc, have never run out even in an extended mission vs 20 enemy mechs.

hey mr critical i have another joke for you

how do you kill a black knight with a JR7-D?

you shoot it in the loving head

did i bring too much ammo that time?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

FYI PoptartsNinja, the buyable vectored jump jets (and the assault version) in your mod seem to be busted and unequippable.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
There are a lot of weird variants that would probably be way more useful in an actual war than in your typical tabletop scenario

Like that LRM locust with no armor—a lance of those popping up out of nowhere, firing a bunch of LRM5s at whatever and then running away would give officers fits

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

JT Jag posted:

FYI PoptartsNinja, the buyable vectored jump jets (and the assault version) in your mod seem to be busted and unequippable.

That should be fixed, do you have the latest mod version?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

soulmata posted:

hey mr critical i have another joke for you

how do you kill a black knight with a JR7-D?

you shoot it in the loving head

did i bring too much ammo that time?

you brought two rounds of meme when you only needed one to make the joke.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Pattonesque posted:

There are a lot of weird variants that would probably be way more useful in an actual war than in your typical tabletop scenario

Like that LRM locust with no armor—a lance of those popping up out of nowhere, firing a bunch of LRM5s at whatever and then running away would give officers fits

I think Locust's in general are a lot more sensible if their use involves running away (like, say, after scouting) rather than trying to hang in a fight.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

OddObserver posted:

I think Locust's in general are a lot more sensible if their use involves running away (like, say, after scouting) rather than trying to hang in a fight.

Yes, Locust's are built to hunt down infantry/escaping land vehicles, and to scout.
Urbanmechs are for use in a city where they can exploit narrow streets to use the ac/10 effectively.
Chargers exist because Lyrans wanted a scout mech.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

We don't even use the Charger, put that on the Dracs where it belongs.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Defiance Industries posted:

We don't even use the Charger, put that on the Dracs where it belongs.

True, Lyran's are responsible for the Great Turtle, which is a great although... goooofy mech.

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Apr 14, 2021

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

That should be fixed, do you have the latest mod version?
I do not, would it be save compatible

edit: downloaded the new equipment equalizers and now the vectored thrust things have just vanished from my storage

Checking with the save editor, apparently they're still there, but they just aren't visible now

edit 2: loading a hard save on the planet where I bought them in the first place, they are no longer in the shop either

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Apr 14, 2021

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Cooked Auto posted:

Sony (a AA Japanocorp now), NYPD, Inc (privatized security and consulting), Johns Hopkins Institute (absorbed the NIH and the CDC, then fled Baltimore for the Caribbean League after being caught doing the equivalent of the Tuskegee Experiment on SINless kids in the former), Carlsberg-Heineken (now part of Aztechnology!), Fabrique-Nationale, Dassault, Embraer, Hawker-Siddley (all weapons manufacturers, owned by the same as above), Nissan-Renault, Ford (part of Ares), NASA (same as above), GM (also same as above), and BMW and Thyssen-Krupp (as part of Saeder-Krupp, their Corp Court seat is linked to BMW which was one of the original megacorps and one of the founders of the Corp Court) are the ones I can recall from Shadowrun off the top of my head. There’s bound to be more though, I think there’s a reference to Nintendo surviving because Ultra Mario as a video game got an offhand mention, and apparently Microsoft survived the Crash Virus and the plane crash that turned their Redmond headquarters into the infamous Redmond Barrens but had to rebrand? I dunno.

The one I can remember from BattleTech that hasn’t been mentioned yet is Apple, and they own a planet in the Fed Suns? Named it Macintosh because the iRevolution hadn’t happened yet when FASA (or was it WizKids?) canonized it. They make computer targeting systems, IIRC. Nissan makes fusion engines too, don’t they?

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Apr 14, 2021

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

GhostStalker posted:

The one I can remember from BattleTech that hasn’t been mentioned yet is Apple, and they own a planet in the Fed Suns? Named it Macintosh because the iRevolution hadn’t happened yet when FASA (or was it WizKids?) canonized it. They make computer targeting systems, IIRC. Nissan makes fusion engines too, don’t they?

It was FASA. The planet is from the original Davion sourcebook back in 87. Beyond targeting computers, they also make consumer electronics for the few worlds in the FS that can buy them. You're also right about Nissan, though they build a lot of civilian equipment too.

There's a few others that also exist. Lockheed became Lockheed-CBM and supplies the LC with its best fighters. Ford, Krupp and Caterpillar are still manufacturing heavy machinery in the Terran system. Boeing had an extension in the FS which was nationalized during the fall of the Star League to become Federated Boeing. Harley Davidson and Aston Martin are both still making personal vehicles. Sunbeam got absorbed into the conglomerate that owns Diverse Optics. Bowie Industries went from making heavy farm equipment today to military equipment for the LC in the 31st century and even had a hand in the joint project to build the Mjolnir-class battlecruiser. Weirdly, the Mauser and Gray corporation, which is one of the main small arms companies in the LC, is not a continuation of real-life Mauser but was founded in the 24th century by two guys named Mauser and Gray.

(I actually went through and made a list of these last year)

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

We all can agree that the GREATSET Corporation in all of BTech is Quikscell.*

*Defiance Industries was removed from competition after winning three times in a row

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

JT Jag posted:

I do not, would it be save compatible

edit: downloaded the new equipment equalizers and now the vectored thrust things have just vanished from my storage

Checking with the save editor, apparently they're still there, but they just aren't visible now

edit 2: loading a hard save on the planet where I bought them in the first place, they are no longer in the shop either

That's very strange, they loaded fine for me. The trick was the old mod was trying to load them as equipment when Jump Jets have a different definition. I know shop items don't show up until you change systems, but they should load regardless. You can make huge sweeping item changes mid-campaign and they'll load without issue since the game just says "Huh, guess these exist now." They may not appear unless you leave and return. Any research (or, more likely, rich research) planet can spawn the vectored jets, and the Black Market should spawn them as well.

They also got a slight rename, and show up under the Jump Jets tab and not the Equipment tab (because that failure was corrected). Any that you bought will probably vanish because the game thought they were equipment. :(

Harley Davidson did become Harley Davidson Messerschmitt though. They still make motorcycles.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Apr 14, 2021

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Almost forgot about (Federated) Boeing, they also exist in Shadowrun and are a fairly important AA megacorp out there in Seattle. Pretty sure I saw mentions of Harley Davidson in one sourcebook or another as well. Oh, and Maersk too, still one of the largest shipping firms in the world, just behind the megacorp that is Wuxing.

Quick lore question, Unity City was basically an outgrowth of the Seattle-Vancouver region, right?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

GhostStalker posted:

Almost forgot about (Federated) Boeing, they also exist in Shadowrun and are a fairly important AA megacorp out there in Seattle. Pretty sure I saw mentions of Harley Davidson in one sourcebook or another as well. Oh, and Maersk too, still one of the largest shipping firms in the world, just behind the megacorp that is Wuxing.

Quick lore question, Unity City was basically an outgrowth of the Seattle-Vancouver region, right?

Unity City was built on the opposite side of the Puget Sound from Seattle, looks like about where Port Ludlow is now. It's not an organic outgrowth of a preexisting city, it was built from nothing as a showpiece for the League. Ian Cameron would have had to pave over most of the Olympic National Park based on how big Unity City is described as but Ian Cameron don't give a gently caress what dies if it gets him what he wants (See: Reunification War, The). It's likely that Seattle and Olympia were largely subsumed into supporting Unity City as the seat of government, much like Northern Virginia is to DC today. Also Tacoma was home to the Castle Brian that protected the Court of the Star League, so maybe that's built on top of JBLM?

Generally speaking if something is from Seattle you can bet it's probably very important to BT and Shadowrun. A First Lord went to the University of Washington, and the UW extension campus on Donegal is still one of the top ten universities in human space.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Apr 14, 2021

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

Harley Davidson did become Harley Davidson Messerschmitt though. They still make motorcycles.

Are they 40 tons and fusion-powered?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Yeah, basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soulmata
Jun 19, 2019

BOOSTIN BOOSTIN BOOSTIN MAKES ME FEEL GOOD

AtomikKrab posted:

you brought two rounds of meme when you only needed one to make the joke.

you thought we were done?

observe as i... ADJUST THE HEAT

(that's a FS9-H i'm brain-coring there, FWIW)

soulmata fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 14, 2021