Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i was Really into homestuck when i was younger, but as fascinating as that sarah z vid on it sounds to me, i'm fine just leaving homestuck in the past with a sense of nostalgia :v:

though apparently quite a number of the current HS staff is Insanely Mad at her because... she didn't talk with them before she criticized current homestuck in the vid??? honestly though i've noticed people on twitter getting pissy at her for the stupidest things anyways so :shrug: (ex. spelling kylo rens name goofy or talking about sherlock or whatever)

aaa whatta page snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Ivypls posted:

has an artist ever put a ninja warrior obstacle course between their artwork and the audience, i think that would be both hilarious and the only meaningful point of comparison between video game difficulty and barriers in appreciating other forms of art and media. or maybe a movie that stops playing until you solve a difficult math problem
The closest thing that comes to mind is "alternate reality games", where parts of the greater work are spread across various forms of media and involve some level of audience participation. The examples I'm most familiar with are the various Slenderman-themed horror series that sprang up in the early 2010s, particularly Marble Hornets and EverymanHYBRID. Most of the story was conveyed through the videos on the main channel, but there's be links to other Youtube channels hidden in single frames or in hex codes, or messages hidden in the spectrogram of a clip of distorted audio, and the creators encouraged the audience to collaborate and figure out the puzzles, which would have some effect on the storyline. I confess that I've never been that interested in ARGs, since I tend to have a more passive relationship with art, and the whole thing is the epitome of "you had to be there" to get half the effect.

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

i like args, i'd probably like args MORE if i didn't live in the middle of fuckin nowhere

except for the one that killed horse_ebooks, that one can go to hell

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Sydin posted:

I mean The Wall video got Doug a ton of attention and presumably clicks, why not do something like it again? Anybody who's still a fan of his at this point ain't stopping any time soon, so all showing his rear end would do is potentially draw in some new clicks from voyeurs interested in how badly he beefed it this time round.

Nah, the reason the Wall got as much attention as it did was because it was hated by a sizeable minority of CA's fanbase who thought it was terrible and left in droves. On social blade channel awesome's subscriber states have two very noticeable negative spikes where new subscribers aren't replacing lost subscriptions, one of these is when change the channel happened, the other is the week of the Wall. So it wasn't just a terrible experience, it was a terrible vid that actively damaged its associated brand. And if you look on youtube doug walkers the wall has over a million views, which is something most channels would kill for, but that's below average for doug's big videos and it isn't even the most watched video about doug walkers the wall on the site, the negative attention hasn't driven much Doug's way other than scorn.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Booky posted:

i was Really into homestuck when i was younger, but as fascinating as that sarah z vid on it sounds to me, i'm fine just leaving homestuck in the past with a sense of nostalgia :v:

though apparently quite a number of the current HS staff is Insanely Mad at her because... she didn't talk with them before she criticized current homestuck in the vid??? honestly though i've noticed people on twitter getting pissy at her for the stupidest things anyways so :shrug: (ex. spelling kylo rens name goofy or talking about sherlock or whatever)

aaa whatta page snipe
if you're just presenting a history of homestuck idk why she'd be required to get PR fluff answers from the creative team

the big issue people are having is she is using an unreliable source that allegedly stalked members of the creative team and fabricated some stuff (which she probably didn't know about). but also most people just don't have answers, hussie would definitely not give any comment... she's just working from what info is out there and she gives it the "take it with a grain of salt" disclaimer

anything beyond that is just people believing any criticism from a person with a large following will result in targeted harassment and death threats, and therefore there can never be criticism from people with a large reach

but even if you look in twitter replies that are mad at her, you see responses from other homestuck fans that are mad at THOSE people. it's a fandom of cannabalism

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

SIZE=XX-LARGE]PLEASE! PLEASE STOP SAYING THE R WORD. GOD, IF SOMEBODY SAID THE R WORD, I WILL HECKIN LOSE IT. JUST PEE PEE MY JORTS. CAN'T YOU JUST CALL THEM A SMOOTHE BRAINED DOTARD LIKE THE REST OF US NORMAL PEOPLE? DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

P.S. FREE LARRY YOU FUCKIN COWARDS.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Friend, I'm sorry to break this to you, but the games journalists are going to justify their Women and Gender Studies Bachelors all over Dark Souls whether the game has an easy mode or not.

Ah yeah that's true

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

The 7th Guest posted:

if you're just presenting a history of homestuck idk why she'd be required to get PR fluff answers from the creative team

the big issue people are having is she is using an unreliable source that allegedly stalked members of the creative team and fabricated some stuff (which she probably didn't know about). but also most people just don't have answers, hussie would definitely not give any comment... she's just working from what info is out there and she gives it the "take it with a grain of salt" disclaimer

anything beyond that is just people believing any criticism from a person with a large following will result in targeted harassment and death threats, and therefore there can never be criticism from people with a large reach

but even if you look in twitter replies that are mad at her, you see responses from other homestuck fans that are mad at THOSE people. it's a fandom of cannabalism

People were and have been talking about this drama. Even if the team themselves aren't talking there are people who were defending them . And if the framing was "These works sucked" rather than fandom cannibalism she just skimmed on the research here.

And to be blunt talking about how you were harassed really can't be just PR fluff and it's absurd to frame it otherwise. At worst it couldn't have hurt.

Rockit fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Apr 14, 2021

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
My only comment re: the Sarah Z video is that for as much as Homestuck was integral to my late teens/early college experience I really cannot think of a less appealing thing to watch than a two hour exposé on the subject. That just sounds exhausting on a level that's hard to describe

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
The only thing I know about Homestuck is that the title's a pun on Earthbound.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Ariong posted:

Oh, has anyone recommended LazyPurple yet? Very high-quality TF2 videos, entertaining enough to check out even if you've never played the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX28oxrdUVI

His Sleeping Dogs videos were good too. The segment starting at 7:30 in this one is great. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeCLuRrwrCU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Rockit posted:

People were and have been talking about this drama. Even if the team themselves aren't talking there are people who were defending them . And if the framing was "These works sucked" rather than fandom cannibalism she just skimmed on the research here.

And to be blunt talking about how you were harassed really can't be just PR fluff and it's absurd to frame it otherwise. At worst it couldn't have hurt.

She mentions the harassment stuff btw.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

MonsieurChoc posted:

She mentions the harassment stuff btw.

There's a reason I had a lot of if statements in there. I didn't get to those parts and I haven't known. A mention and even condemnation by itself doesn't disprove the criticism which seems more about framing than anything else but it good to be clear on those things.
In the youtube comment she say she found out the source on the video game was hella sus. So I appericate that and see that as a good sign she's listening.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i've mostly been avoiding homestuck fandom stuff for ages cause it seems incredibly stressful (at least until the video dropped) but overall i've been seeing some people state that the gio person is a stalker and harasser, tho i haven't seen any specific evidence for the claim (as far as i can tell, they did a dubiously sourced blog post about hiveswap??); and i also saw a screenshot of the homestuck director person saying in a discord to "go get this bitch loving stalker" while showing the gio tweet too, so i'm getting the impression that everyone involved in this kind of sucks except sarah z (assuming everything's true) :shrug:
also, the hiveswap kickstarter just put out a tome of a post talking about What Happened too!! (possibly in response to the vid?)

The 7th Guest posted:

personally i tend to see this a Lot on twitter with regards to sarah z... some people get insanely angry about her talking about a sherlock ship being queerbaity from the creators, or some criticism being in bad faith, or spelling kylo rens name funny, and then extrapolate that she's forgiving harassment and supports death threats somehow, from this
it's like all the time too!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

So a HUGE post dropped to kickstarter backers (which includes me) dropping a lot of details on the whole thing. Looks like the Sarah Z video got a reaction. I'm going through it now, and it seems to be quite a complicated thing,

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

LanceHunter posted:

I remember an interview with John Darnielle of The Mountain Goats, talking about when he realized that he was “a lifer”, as in going to be a musician for the rest of his life (for better or worse). Because he had reached his 40s and had no other professional skills or work experience. Music was literally all he had done for decades. So there wasn’t really anything else he could do even if his modest level of success completely faded away.

I imagine Doug Walker feels similarly. He does his schtick and makes YouTube content, and that’s all he has done for most of his adult life. Attempts to branch out and try other stuff have failed. He’s a YouTube lifer, and this is the life he’s stuck in.

yeah. the dude tried to quite like 6 years ago but all his pilots failed and he burned his bridges at his old job so he went back to this forvere. like he is gonna do this poo poo forever.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

MonsieurChoc posted:

So a HUGE post dropped to kickstarter backers (which includes me) dropping a lot of details on the whole thing. Looks like the Sarah Z video got a reaction. I'm going through it now, and it seems to be quite a complicated thing,

i never backed the kickstarter; is it true that the specifics regarding hiveswap's issues were basically ignored by the team until now? :ohdear:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Booky posted:

i never backed the kickstarter; is it true that the specifics regarding hiveswap's issues were basically ignored by the team until now? :ohdear:

Not really, apparently there lots of setbacks and drama behind the scene that they choose not to cummunicate because of ndas/to keep the project going. Or so they claim in that post.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Sarah Z held nothing back in her distaste for the new Homestuck comic, but she was pretty firmly against the harassment with a short rant in particular against people who harassed the team because they didn’t want their character to be revealed as trans.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

The only thing I know about Homestuck is that the title's a pun on Earthbound.

i read a lot of homestuck when it was new and fresh but this blew my fuckin mind

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. the dude tried to quite like 6 years ago but all his pilots failed and he burned his bridges at his old job so he went back to this forvere. like he is gonna do this poo poo forever.

What I noticed is all the side people from Demo Reel still doing these videos, and unless this is a side thing for them and they have other jobs/series I feel bad for them.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

bobjr posted:

What I noticed is all the side people from Demo Reel still doing these videos, and unless this is a side thing for them and they have other jobs/series I feel bad for them.

At least they’re getting a regular paycheck. One of them used to have a youtube channel where they watched classic movies they’d never seen before, but I think they took it down a while ago.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

For years I confused Homestuck with Homestar and I thought "why are all these people so weird about Homestar. Homestar is wholesome and great.

Then I watched Homestuck and I got to the birthday cake before losing interest. Even then I figured I had already done five Demons Souls worth of content.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Honestly, not laying them off the moment Demo Reel proved unviable may be one of the few decent things Doug has done. It would have been easy and cheaper to just dump the Demo Reel cast and go back to a one-man shouting show.

Albeit, that’s a bit tempered by the fact that he likely kept them because he still really wanted to make films and that was something of a way to keep doing that.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Dont feel too bad for them, they defended Doug during the change channel thing and even specifically defended CA's 2nd extremely misogynist response so gently caress em

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ivypls posted:

has an artist ever put a ninja warrior obstacle course between their artwork and the audience, i think that would be both hilarious and the only meaningful point of comparison between video game difficulty and barriers in appreciating other forms of art and media. or maybe a movie that stops playing until you solve a difficult math problem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6MQC4YwA8s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9Z9ef7Js8U

Booklegger
Aug 2, 2008

Booky posted:

i've mostly been avoiding homestuck fandom stuff for ages cause it seems incredibly stressful (at least until the video dropped) but overall i've been seeing some people state that the gio person is a stalker and harasser, tho i haven't seen any specific evidence for the claim (as far as i can tell, they did a dubiously sourced blog post about hiveswap??);

So, I hang out on Gio's discord, and while I don't know him any more than that plus "have played modded minecraft" with him, I can recall what he was talking about on the server back when he wrote those articles last October-Novemberish. And the conversation that sticks out in my memory was him asking us if any of us knew a journalist personally, cause he had philosophical questions that needed answering.

My impression of him is someone who cares about doing things the right way. None of which particularly backs up the quality of his reporting, but there we are.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Dan calling Doug Walker an aspiring filmmaker is one of the harshest burns I've ever heard.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ButterSkeleton posted:

For those who fall under a specific condition where easy mode will compensate for their disability, this is nice, but it's also going to be an excuse for people like game journalist types to play through a game faster and write an article sooner. It's also a way for people to have to think less.

It's like when there's steps and a ramp. People are likely to take the ramp instead of the stairs, even though it designed for disabled people to use. People will choose the ramp for themselves, even though they're in perfectly capable ability to take the stairs, to make their day easier...even though, again, it's designed to accommodate those who need it.
This post is pages ago but I'm gonna quote this to say none of this matters even remotely, this post loving sucks, you loving suck

Oxxidation posted:

helps to keep in mind that one piece's perspective is 99% from those who are rebelling against the government so the readers get to see most of its nastier side. for ordinary people, the world government's way more admirable (and definitely preferable to psychopaths like krieg and kuro deciding to raze your entire island on a whim)

there are decent people in the Marines but they're often bitter, frustrated, and constantly bashing their heads against leadership that's apathetic to ordinary people's concerns and beholden to a ruling class that doesn't give a single poo poo about anything but preserving its own supremacy
There's a scene where luffy is like "oh no its the Marines, run everyone!" And iirc some civilians(?) look at him weird and he realizes that oh wait, if you're a regular schmoe in the OP world then usually the Marines are the"good guys" and peacekeepers from your perspective protecting you from people of luffy's type

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

I talked with someone the other day about how in order to show how a certain system is flawed holistically you need to show people that start off believing in the spirit of the system to some degree, get to see the inner workings, and then either work within the system to change it for the better(this is a whole conversation on it's own) or recognize the system is flawed and work outside of it.

This unfortunately means you get stories where characters wanna be cops for a large part of it. I get not wanting to follow cop stories. I get how easy it is for those stories to fall into copaganda. But One Piece, at the very least, doesn't like the boat cops. It can take a bit for Oda to make that crystal clear, but I assure you; It becomes very clear.

(For the record the conversation was about the Trails series and more specifically the Crossbell games, which rule but are inextricably cop stories)

Gwen fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Apr 14, 2021

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

https://twitter.com/InnuendoStudios/status/1382089433923645441

https://twitter.com/GreatWyrmGold/status/1382115960950243331

:perfect:

(sorry for just posting tweets but this was too good not to share)

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

In the sci-fi novel Silver Rain, part of the history is the general release of a bioweapon called the Amusica virus which destroys an infected person's ability to hear music as art. An entire generation loses a dimension of their cultural lives, but the greater tragedy is the children who grow up in it's shadow and never know music as anything other than random noises coming from a recording.

Having watched Dan Olsen's latest video, I can't help but think about that. Imagine only being able to see the most surface level of a movie, where no film can aspire to be anything other than a Michael Bay film. There was a whole group of people working on Doug Walkers film, and presumably they all thought like that. Seriously bummed me out just thinking about it.

Then the horny dancing puppets showed up and by that time I'd taken to drink. By the end I'd been broken down so far that when Dan and hat!Dan started shooting finger guns I nearly died laughing.

What a loving trip.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
I had never heard of this Doug or channel awesome before.

Wow, what a... Something. Something that is the opposite of good.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

everyone gets mad at the wall video but the worst thing walker ever did is the sailor moon video he did where, in order

1) talked about how much he wanted to gently caress the cast of sailor moon
2) 'wow they're 14!?'
3) 'the legal age in japan is 13 so its fine!'
4) 'actually, the men who designed these characters must have wanted men to gently caress them'
5) 'also this show sucks except if you want to gently caress them'

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

BigRed0427 posted:

Also. The gently caress is Satellite City.

Every time I hear about the NC Wall review I learn something completely incomprehensible. First that the Slipknot guy's in it, then Doug's literalist takes on the whole loving thing, and then the Satellite City thing.

I have... no loving clue, it feels like something pre-porn ban Tumblr would have went nuts over but it feels like even the shambling remains of Tumblr have passed it over. It's the very definition of a project that should have stayed in its creator's head, or at least had someone mediate the sheer inexplicable decisions and meandering tone.

As Dan said for the segment in the NC review, it's a whole lot of genuine technical talent and effort put into a incoherent mess.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Magna Kaser posted:

i read a lot of homestuck when it was new and fresh but this blew my fuckin mind

Here's another bombshell for you: Undertale's title is based off Cave Story.

BigRed0427 posted:

Also. The gently caress is Satellite City.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I can't even imagine the sheer loving hubris it takes to look at the greatest band in history, at the top of their game, producing one of their finest works, and think "I, a known fool, am equipped to parody this".

Satellite City I can at least understand as someone experiencing their awakening during Labyrinth like so many others, but putting it down to the Muppets rather than David Bowie.

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

It's not like you can't make good negative reviews of The Wall (the album, at least) either:

Also in a few of the discussions about Dan's video on Reddit, I've seen people call Fennah a child abuse apologist, what's up with that?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Endorph posted:

everyone gets mad at the wall video but the worst thing walker ever did is the sailor moon video he did where, in order

1) talked about how much he wanted to gently caress the cast of sailor moon
2) 'wow they're 14!?'
3) 'the legal age in japan is 13 so its fine!'
4) 'actually, the men who designed these characters must have wanted men to gently caress them'
5) 'also this show sucks except if you want to gently caress them'

I have nothing pithy or smart to say about that. All I can muster is :yikes:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Ivypls posted:

i like args, i'd probably like args MORE if i didn't live in the middle of fuckin nowhere

except for the one that killed horse_ebooks, that one can go to hell

Wait, what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
This is one of the best comments sections I've ever seen for a Youtube video: