Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Deteriorata posted:

Yeah, "rare earth" elements aren't particularly rare. They got named that because they were first discovered in a weird type of ore that turned up now and then in a particular mine. "Rare earth" refers to the ore, not the elements. Once they knew what they were looking for, they turned out to be pretty easy to find.

The mine, by the way, was outside the village of Ytterby, Sweden. It ended up with four elements named after it - Ytterbium, Terbium, Erbium, and Yttrium.

"Rare earth" absolutely does not refer to the ore, there is a specific nomenclature used that refers to 17 elements that are classified as rare-earth elements. They're mostly Lanthanides, with yttrium and scandium being transition metals that are included in the term. Correct that the "rare" is a misnomer, cerium for example is more common as copper in the Earth's crust.

Memento fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Apr 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Memento posted:

"Rare earth" absolutely does not refer to the ore, there is a specific nomenclature used that refers to 17 elements that are classified as rare-earth elements. They're mostly Lanthanides, with yttrium and scandium being transition metals that are included in the term. Correct that the "rare" is a misnomer, cerium for example is more common as copper in the Earth's crust.

"Earth" means ore. They were initially found in the weird, rare ore in the mine at Ytterby.

So they are "rare earth" because they were initially found in the rare earth. That earth turned out not to be so rare elsewhere. That gave the name to the whole series of related elements.

The error is people see the "rare" and assume they are actually rare and expensive.

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 14, 2021

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
Isn't neodymium also considered a "Rare Earth metal" but is actually relatively common? Also any tips for a first time car seller?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

DildenAnders posted:

Also any tips for a first time car seller?

Be 100% honest about the car and if there are any actual serious problems (engine, transmission issues, etc) make sure you a) tell them and b) have a bill of sale drafted up that mentions the problem, you both get a copy signed by both of you.

When the prospective buyer shows up and starts pointing out a bunch of little dumb poo poo about the car just agree and say "yeah that's why I have it priced so competitively".

e: people generally are more afraid of buying cars that have hidden secrets than anything else. If you can set people's minds at ease about your honesty re: the vehicle and make sure that their expectations about the car match well with what you think is reasonable, it's not a very stressful experience. I'm sure a lot of people will comment here saying that it's on the buyer to look for problems, don't give more information than you really have to, etc, but people who have sold enough cars know that it's never worth the headache to take that path.

e2: Don't meet them at your house or place of work! In case they turn out crazy.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Apr 14, 2021

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

simplefish posted:

So many people get their prius cat stolen and need an OEM replacement that there is a huge market in stealing prius cats to provide an ORM replacement

I have heard that there's a similar situation with Porsche Cayenne headlights in Russia, for some reason. They are regularly stolen off of people's cars so people always need replacements so there's always thieves out looking for Cayennes with headlights to steal.

I like to believe that there's only a couple of sets of Cayenne headlights in the whole country and they just keep moving around.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

I have heard that there's a similar situation with Porsche Cayenne headlights in Russia, for some reason. They are regularly stolen off of people's cars so people always need replacements so there's always thieves out looking for Cayennes with headlights to steal.

I like to believe that there's only a couple of sets of Cayenne headlights in the whole country and they just keep moving around.

Grow lights apparently?

There's a little keyway thing to pop the headlights out of a cayenne but if you don't give a poo poo about scratching the paint on the fender you can just pry them and they pop out.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

DildenAnders posted:

Also any tips for a first time car seller?

VelociBacon posted:

Be 100% honest about the car and if there are any actual serious problems (engine, transmission issues, etc) make sure you a) tell them and b) have a bill of sale drafted up that mentions the problem, you both get a copy signed by both of you.

When the prospective buyer shows up and starts pointing out a bunch of little dumb poo poo about the car just agree and say "yeah that's why I have it priced so competitively".

e: people generally are more afraid of buying cars that have hidden secrets than anything else. If you can set people's minds at ease about your honesty re: the vehicle and make sure that their expectations about the car match well with what you think is reasonable, it's not a very stressful experience. I'm sure a lot of people will comment here saying that it's on the buyer to look for problems, don't give more information than you really have to, etc, but people who have sold enough cars know that it's never worth the headache to take that path.

e2: Don't meet them at your house or place of work! In case they turn out crazy.

To add to this: YOU have all the authority in this transaction. If you feel odd about someone, for any reason, back off from them. There are infinite customers, but only one of your car. You decide who to sell it to and for how much. You can always say "No."

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Sagebrush posted:

There was an apocryphal story going round the auto adjuster's circles when I was a young lad (mid-1980's) about an insured who had his Corvette stolen, and it was recovered with the doors & other bolt-on panels missing. The body shop had the car completed in record time and, while he was marveling at the excellent paint match, he discovered his keys fit the door & trunk locks. The lock barrels had not been removed.

Motronic posted:

Grow lights apparently?

There's a little keyway thing to pop the headlights out of a cayenne but if you don't give a poo poo about scratching the paint on the fender you can just pry them and they pop out.

A friend of my son's brought over his Cayenne just last night to replace the air filter (which, in the finest German tradition, involves removing the headlights & bumper cover which are, also in the finest German tradition, held on by something like three fasteners) and he showed me this special tool, which is included in the car's tool pack, for removing the headlight assemblies.

The assemblies are over $1000 each because they have little servomotors in them, tied to the steering & suspension, that turn the headlights when cornering, and also are self-levelling with changes in ride height. Takes literally five seconds to remove the unit with this tool.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Apr 14, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
on the M5 the bumper to get in to SP1 is held on by two main fasteners but they're gently caress off huge Torx head bolts

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PainterofCrap posted:

A friend of my son's brought over his Cayenne just last night to replace the air filter (which, in the finest German tradition, involves removing the headlights & bumper cover which are, also in the finest German tradition, held on by something like three fasteners) and he showed me this special tool, which is included in the car's tool pack, for removing the headlight assemblies.

The assemblies are over $1000 each because they have little servomotors in them, tied to the steering & suspension, that turn the headlights when cornering, and also are self-levelling with changes in ride height. Takes literally five seconds to remove the unit with this tool.

Yeah, the tool in mine looks like an elevator key. May be different for whatever generation that Cayenne is because you sure as hell don't need to take the bumper cover off on mine to change the two massive air filters - they just take up most of the space on either side of the hood aperture.

The servos in mine are for leveling only with corner lighting accomplished with foxed angles lights in each headlight assembly. So they probably "simplified" that down to one bulb with a bunch of fiddly Bosch parts to wag it around.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

El Kabong posted:

Thank you for this. I probably would have tossed the old door without thinking about that.

Guess who had a door he couldn't unlock from the outside for a while (because of this), nor from the inside with the power lock switch (because of the mismatched harness connector thing he mentioned) and also it was the wrong silver tone because oh yeah he assumed there would only be one silver for a given chassis that was only built for 5 years and didn't look at the paint codes on the data plate he mentioned

Hi it's me

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

There are probably more different shades of gray and silver paint used on cars than there are every other color combined and I loving hate it. Get some personality holy poo poo.

Oh no this car isn't gray, it's Storm Titanium.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

There are probably more different shades of gray and silver paint used on cars than there are every other color combined and I loving hate it. Get some personality holy poo poo.

That's so people feel better about picking the cheapest paint option and staying away from anything outlandish that might make the vehicle harder to get rid of.

Just call them all Resale Gray.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

do people really concern themselves with that when choosing to buy a car? i thought it was more related to what dealers would stock, which is stuff that has generally broad appeal

Wonder_Bread
Dec 21, 2006
Fresh Baked Goodness!

Sagebrush posted:

"Suburban Apathy"

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

do people really concern themselves with that when choosing to buy a car? i thought it was more related to what dealers would stock, which is stuff that has generally broad appeal

I think that makes more sense too. Dealers try to provide cars that appeal to the largest group of buyers. As fun as a lime green car is, sitting on the lot for six months is bad business.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Bit of both I figure. They would offer higher trade-in value for the grays for all the same reasons.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Ranzear posted:

Bit of both I figure. They would offer higher trade-in value for the grays for all the same reasons.

they probably wouldn't because they dump the cars at auction

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Should I buy this car?

Background: we have 2 cars and 2 kids and need to be able to put baby seats in both cars. We have a 2016 crv that is great, and a 2-door manual hyundai accent that can't fit child seats. Since Daycare isn't close to the house, we basically need two slightly-larger cars. I don't intend to drive this second car too much. It's mostly for shuttling kids to and from Daycare once or twice a week and going out on weekends. We want to replace the 2-door hyundai.

A friend is selling a 2003 CRV with 330k miles on it and 2 coolant leaks, for $2600. I want to buy it! Is this a good idea or a stupid idea?
I was also considering a subaru forester (newer) but this seems like a crazy good deal. But how much life would a 330k miles car have left in it? No I have no car fixing abilities, I can't do any of that stuff at all.

redreader fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 14, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

no

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

redreader posted:

Should I buy this car?

Background: we have 2 cars and 2 kids and need to be able to put baby seats in both cars. We have a 2016 crv that is great, and a 2-door manual hyundai accent that can't fit child seats. Since Daycare isn't close to the house, we basically need two slightly-larger cars. I don't intend to drive this second car too much. It's mostly for shuttling kids to and from Daycare once or twice a week and going out on weekends. We want to replace the 2-door hyundai.

A friend is selling a 2003 CRV with 330k miles on it and 2 coolant leaks, for $2600. I want to buy it! Is this a good idea or a stupid idea?
I was also considering a subaru forester (newer) but this seems like a crazy good deal. But how much life would a 330k miles car have left in it? No I have no car fixing abilities, I can't do any of that stuff at all.

Without knowing anything else about the car, I would say it is not a great idea.
It likely needs a lot of work, especially for deferred maintenance, considering it already has some issues.

I have a 2008 Element, built on the same platform, basically the same underneath as a I understand it.
It didn't have any real issues when we bought it with 150,000 miles on it. I have done all of our own work on it.
Things I've done:
Replaced both from lower control arms.
Replaced all suspension bushings in the rear
Patched the muffler
Serviced the rear differential
replaced all of the ball joints and sway bar bushings on it
replaced all brake rotors and two of the calipers
Replaced all wheel bearings on it.

None of these are huge terrible things, if you have the proper tools and time to work on it. If you are paying someone to do these things, it will add up quickly.
If you are looking for just cheap, reliable transportation, I would pass on this one. I would imagine the money you would have to put into this will likely be at least what you would be paying for it.

Even for a Honda, 330k miles is a lot.

Just my two cents anyway.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Beginning to think seriously about my next upgrade to the electrical in the conversion van. At what point do I need to invest in a bigger alternator? Rockauto appears to list 90 amps as the OE spec, which maths out to 1260 watts at 14v. How much wattage does just normal operation consume, ie how much is left over for me to charge things on the road? Am I even approaching this math correctly?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

redreader posted:

Should I buy this car?

No, absolutely not. That vehicle will only bring you pain and worry.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Why the hell is that thing stil 2600? I'd think it'd be worth 1000 tops.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
While high milage can be overrated in terms of its effect on a vehicles value, I wouldn't buy anything with over 300k on the clock even if it appeared to be in good shape. The fact there are apparently multiple coolant leaks makes it even more of a no-go. And frankly $2300 can buy a pretty decent used car, I would seriously reconsider the intentions of a "friend" who would attempt to extort $2300 out of you for a literal junker. They would be lucky to get $400 for that thing as you describe it.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks for your input everyone.

My friend put the car on craigslist, said she's open to negotiation, and posted it on facebook. I don't think she knows much about cars. I don't either.
edit: I told her I didn't want it, because I am listening to everyone :)

redreader fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 14, 2021

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Check out the show my ride thread for a sad lesson in overspending on a high mileage car. Adding my voice to not worth buying at any price.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

redreader posted:

Move a decimal point over twice and it might be worth it... in parts. 330k miles ANYTHING at the consumer car level (outside of late 70s/early 80s diesel Mercedes) is worn the gently caress out. The transmission is definitely not long for this world, the engine may have some life left if it's mostly highway miles. Either way, it's worn. the. gently caress. out.

Someone really desperate for a commuter car will buy it, but she shouldn't expect more than $1k, and she needs to make drat sure she keeps the plates at that price point (it'll never get the title transferred).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 14, 2021

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

redreader posted:

Should I buy this car?

Do you like pain, lots of pain? Expect to pay asking or double to dig it out of maintenance debt. Then take the 7500 you were going to spend on this 330k mile car and buy something that'll need less work.

Javid posted:

Beginning to think seriously about my next upgrade to the electrical in the conversion van. At what point do I need to invest in a bigger alternator? Rockauto appears to list 90 amps as the OE spec, which maths out to 1260 watts at 14v. How much wattage does just normal operation consume, ie how much is left over for me to charge things on the road? Am I even approaching this math correctly?

90A is a decent start but I have next to no information about the van itself, its loadout(power windows, locks, lighting, hvac, engine management), or the upfit you plan to build into it. No, 90A will not run an instantpot.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

redreader posted:

edit: I told her I didn't want it, because I am listening to everyone :)

Thank you :)
Believe it or not, this warms our goonie hearts to know we might have helped.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

cursedshitbox posted:

90A is a decent start but I have next to no information about the van itself, its loadout(power windows, locks, lighting, hvac, engine management), or the upfit you plan to build into it. No, 90A will not run an instantpot.

Sorry, this is a 92 ram van (b250). It's got power windows and locks but little else. Definitely not trying to run any kind of electric heat on it, but I'm going to have some kind of battery array that I'll want to keep topped up when the engine is running.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
*I* would buy that car for like half as much in a heartbeat if I needed it, but I view an engine or trans replacement as a mild inconvenience that ruins a weekend and costs as much as a bad night at the bar. If you aren't going to fix it yourself that thing (or any other car its age and mileage for that matter) is going to be a huge money pit and depending on where you live it could be on its last legs next week even if you fix every single mechanical issue. If you live where things rust (north of the mason dixon, essentially) you shouldn't buy a car over 10 years old unless you only expect to get a year or two out of it before it crumbles to dust. I've had 3 daily drivers since 2014 and every one of them was a year or two of rusting past safe to drive when I sent them to the scrapper. The only exception is if the car came from not-rust-land or was basically never driven in winter, and don't take people's word on that either, you need to use a borescope to verify it isn't rusting out from inside the body structure.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Javid posted:

Sorry, this is a 92 ram van (b250). It's got power windows and locks but little else. Definitely not trying to run any kind of electric heat on it, but I'm going to have some kind of battery array that I'll want to keep topped up when the engine is running.

Oh just a coach battery? Yeah go for it hang whatever lead acid/agm deep cell you want off of it. Use a dc/dc converter if you're going lithium, it'll fry the diode pack in the alternator otherwise.
There's fancy disconnects that handle switching for you so that the coach battery doesn't drain the starting battery. Switch it (solenoid switched by an ignition source is a cheap way to avoid dead starting batteries) + manually resetable circuit breaker if you're on a budget.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

What are people's opinions on the late model Suzukis, specifically the SX4 and the Swift? I heard a rumor that the Japan-built Suzukis are well built, and the SX4 is a little wagon you can get in a manual and with awd.

Related: my sister has a 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe V6. It has this reoccuring problem where the immobilizer keeps activating for no reason. It's been such a stubborn problem she's thinking of selling the thing. Is there a fix for this? Maybe a better question: what's the way to go about DIY diagnosing and fixing it, if any?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Nebakenezzer posted:

What are people's opinions on the late model Suzukis, specifically the SX4 and the Swift? I heard a rumor that the Japan-built Suzukis are well built, and the SX4 is a little wagon you can get in a manual and with awd.

Related: my sister has a 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe V6. It has this reoccuring problem where the immobilizer keeps activating for no reason. It's been such a stubborn problem she's thinking of selling the thing. Is there a fix for this? Maybe a better question: what's the way to go about DIY diagnosing and fixing it, if any?

The first thing to do is to Google the issue extensively, at this point most issues have been discussed on forums and a lot of the time you can find the answer really quickly or at least have something to look for or to mention to the shop.

There are different kinds of immobilizer devices so it's difficult to suggest what to check. Has there been *any* aftermarket stuff done with the electrics such as a dash cam, stereo install, etc?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

VelociBacon posted:

The first thing to do is to Google the issue extensively, at this point most issues have been discussed on forums and a lot of the time you can find the answer really quickly or at least have something to look for or to mention to the shop.

There are different kinds of immobilizer devices so it's difficult to suggest what to check. Has there been *any* aftermarket stuff done with the electrics such as a dash cam, stereo install, etc?

Nope, no aftermarket stuff. Well, let's get googling...

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Driveworks belts vs Dayco?

Matrix's belt has started squealing at startup. A brief Google search says Driveworks is an Italian-made belt for the most part? Dayco and Driveworks are the two brands Advance carries for it, Matrix gets traded in sometime in the next 6-12 months, and I've missed a couple of weeks of work recently.. so that $7 price difference looks attractive.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 15, 2021

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Dayco sucks.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I finally got the goddamn transmission off of my brz! I'm replacing the clutch and throw out bearing since the TOB is known to be a lovely part from the factory. Here's my flywheel, with 40k miles on it, should this be replaced too while I'm in here?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Yes, or resurface it. Do the pilot bearing as well. Use name brand parts for the TOB and pilot, I had ones from an Exedy clutch kit (great clutch and pressure plate...) Fail in under 50k of well-trained manual operator use. NSK, Timken, Nation, FAG, and a few others are good, skip the unlabeled ones and no name brands.

What the hell was holding it in? Just corrosion?