Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Star of Bethlehem is so stupid good in greed mode. Combine that with scissors and that carried my J&E run on Greedier mode no problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WizWoz
Feb 22, 2007

I'm the best,
maybe
Does anyone else have love for the dull razor? It has to be one of my favourite use items in the game. Trivialises Samson, lets you into curse rooms for free, synergises with loads of powerful items, and if you're lucky enough to have the habit and 9 volt it's infinite invincibility!

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Yeah Dull Razor is one of those items that separates the less experienced players from the ones who truly "get" this game. A lot of new players that I watch will be really confused as to why it's in the Devil Room item pool and assume it's the game trolling them.

Nope. Nooooope

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

WizWoz posted:

Does anyone else have love for the dull razor? It has to be one of my favourite use items in the game. Trivialises Samson, lets you into curse rooms for free, synergises with loads of powerful items, and if you're lucky enough to have the habit and 9 volt it's infinite invincibility!

I haven't had a good play with it, same with magnetized tears. Not the once that make enemies magnetized (which rules) but the ones that pull in everything. Seems like a liability.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

dull razor owns, strange attractor loving suuuuucks

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Strange Attractor is only useful paired with a giant stockpile of bombs, where in a pinch they can help out a run where your damage is bad but you got like a bomb upgrade and matchstick, since pulling enemies and bombs both to where the tears land is good.

Also, Strange Attractor now only pulling stuff to where the tears hit and not the tears themselves is a godsend. In the past it was only good with alternate tears like the Knife or Tech X, albut in those cases it WAS usually pretty nice. I'm... not sure those interactions exist or if they basically just magnetize enemies now, since I haven't seen them much and not with a run where I've had changed tears.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
gently caress mother's inhale attack. Had brim with super fast charge as tainted keeper but that bullshit spawned tears on top of me on two different instances and i died.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Mr. Locke posted:

Strange Attractor is only useful paired with a giant stockpile of bombs, where in a pinch they can help out a run where your damage is bad but you got like a bomb upgrade and matchstick, since pulling enemies and bombs both to where the tears land is good.

Also, Strange Attractor now only pulling stuff to where the tears hit and not the tears themselves is a godsend. In the past it was only good with alternate tears like the Knife or Tech X, albut in those cases it WAS usually pretty nice. I'm... not sure those interactions exist or if they basically just magnetize enemies now, since I haven't seen them much and not with a run where I've had changed tears.

according to the patch notes what they did was make it so the "attraction power" started off a lot lower and increased the further out it got from Isaac now. There's still a bit of a pull close to you but it's not nearly as intense anymore.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Black August posted:

the Tainted characters are cool in that a lot of them feel like "what if we gave each different character a genuinely unique and thematic mechanic" with ten years of experience to inform the designs

Tainted Keeper should have been the default this entire time
Normal Keeper is actually fun now, though. Slightly buffed speed and range, three “hearts” instead of two so you can enter curse rooms and have a bit more consistency in general, easy access to bloody arena boss items, able to buy devil deal items, no health down pill in the rotation, getting hit doesn’t affect devil/angel chances... He’s still really hard, don’t get me wrong, but I don’t feel the need to scum for swallowed penny any more. (Which is good, because it got nerfed.)

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I managed to beat Mother with Tainted Jacob and drat was it harrowing. I could only about 40% pay attention to dodging Mother do to the other cool fun stuff going on, so I used my Book of Revelations, Car Battery, and 48 Hour Energy pill to pretty much their fullest extent. I want to see some Isaac god actually dodge all that poo poo with a non-busted defensive run going.

Protip: Horsemen can't spawn on alt-path floors so there's 0 downside to using book of rev if you're going that way, something to consider if you're deciding between it and satanic bible.

pumpinglemma posted:

Normal Keeper is actually fun now, though. Slightly buffed speed and range, three “hearts” instead of two so you can enter curse rooms and have a bit more consistency in general, easy access to bloody arena boss items, able to buy devil deal items, no health down pill in the rotation, getting hit doesn’t affect devil/angel chances... He’s still really hard, don’t get me wrong, but I don’t feel the need to scum for swallowed penny any more. (Which is good, because it got nerfed.)

That sounds cool, he was always a neat concept but his baseline was so garbage he was usually just kinda miserable to play as.

ArfJason posted:

gently caress mother's inhale attack. Had brim with super fast charge as tainted keeper but that bullshit spawned tears on top of me on two different instances and i died.

Flashbacks to clearing Delirium as The Lost... Did they ever fix the undodgeable momstomp?

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 13, 2021

sparksbloom
Apr 30, 2006
Is there some unlock needed to start the Keeper at three hearts? He’s still only starting at 2 when I play him.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah - you need to beat Hush with Keeper.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

pumpinglemma posted:

This is true, I meant more that the mechanic of Tainted Keeper is what Keeper should have been when first released, it's such a perfect idiot risk/reward arcade scramble that is really fun to constantly gamble on

Base Keeper is way better now and worth the play, agreed

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Yeah - you need to beat Hush with Keeper.

And even if you don't, getting an HP up item will increase you to three max health (but no further) now

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Ok, 4.5 Volt on Lilith might just be the most 'one item makes the run' item for either the Mother or Beast path. I had an ok run going, nothing fancy- just an Succubus from farming out Cambion and a Gemini from an item room on top of a grab-bag of random upgrades... then saw the 4.5 volt in the Dank Depths II shop.

The Beast died horribly to a screen filled with following and bouncing demon babies with a small LEGION of flailing babies still tethered to mama. He barely made it long enough to start his second wave of stomping.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
:catstare:

If you Smelt the Perfection trinket, it can still be knocked out of your character. Not sure if this also counts for Gulping it or eating it with the Bag of Marbles.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
I think I'm gonna shelve this until mod support gets added again, I'm just not good enough at this game. I really enjoy runs where you get super powerful but have too many that end up scraping by and getting pasted too early.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

DoubleNegative posted:

:catstare:

If you Smelt the Perfection trinket, it can still be knocked out of your character. Not sure if this also counts for Gulping it or eating it with the Bag of Marbles.

Any breakable trinket gets removed, even if you smelt/gulp!/bag of marbles it. Bag Lunch and Wish Bone does the same thing, although they require more hits to trigger.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

I think I'm gonna shelve this until mod support gets added again, I'm just not good enough at this game. I really enjoy runs where you get super powerful but have too many that end up scraping by and getting pasted too early.

Well one tip to make yourself stronger if you're in a game is don't sleep on those self-sacrifice rooms. If they're throwing red HP at you and lots of red heart drops and there's one of those around--play it! It can give out stuff from that great angel room pool. But I sympathize--with the faster shot speed I am nowhere near as good of a dodger as I used to be(not that I was world class or anything). Frustrating when you're so sure you can clear something as a certain character but you have to do the thing like where you focus on one ceiling fan blade, to be able to dodge a shot.

Had a weird one last night though. Was Judas and picked up an item called "Inner Child" from a secret room, a jacob and esau greedier unlock. I died on that stupid wave spawning boss in the mines/ashpit(my least favorite of the new repentance bosses) and came back as this little mini judas. I think I got some stat upgrades or something but I was so so small I could sometimes squeeze between rocks and the wall even when there should have been no space!! On corpse 1 I fought Rotgut and on the second phase something weird happened and it took me to an I Am Error room and let me pass right through to the next floor. Ended up beating Mother on a flawless victory! Though had help from Stopwatch so the aforementioned shot speed didn't hurt me. But still what a weird run with the inner child stuff sometimes I'd move thinking a rock would stop me and I'd just go right by it! But sometimes I didn't.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I just did a red key run and that thing seems bonkers. It's not at all difficult to find the red secret room, and it has some pretty crazy stuff.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Plus, if you put a red room next to a boss challenge room, it will let you in regardless of your health.

Such a cool item.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

Yeah I spend far too much time reading what items do on the wiki. Even then it can be kinda hard to figure out what the names are to locate stuff to figure out items.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

Hot Diggity! posted:

Yeah I spend far too much time reading what items do on the wiki. Even then it can be kinda hard to figure out what the names are to locate stuff to figure out items.
This is why I usually check https://platinumgod.co.uk/ instead, since you can just look for the icon if you don't know the item name. You can also use the search filter if you know the name or just part of the name for the item. You can search for words in the item description too, so you could search for "flies" if the item generates attack flies, for example.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Hot Diggity! posted:

If you're using Platinum God, just tap in a one-word description of the item. Plugging in, say, 'glass' will land you the X-Ray Specs, Issac's Tears, Soy Milk, etc. Orb will get you Leprosy, Tiny Planet, Ball of Bandages, and so forth. Horn will pull up the Brimstone Bombs, Taurus and Aries, Loki's Horns, Goat Head, yadda yadda. Probably the only description that doesn't work terribly well is 'Heart', since that lands you on every HP up, Soul Heart, Black Heart, and heart-shaped item and that's probably well over 150.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Ran into Cube Baby for the first time last night. It was almost impossible to kick in the direction I wanted it to go. Can't say I'm a fan of it.

Also I know we've beaten this to death but jeeze did they nerf Tech-X hard.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Cube Baby is largely irrelevant until the stars align and you practically have a room clear itself because it accidentally set off a perfect chain reaction of ice bursts. So I give it a pass.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah if I pick it up in the future I think it'll be something that I largely ignore and just appreciate when it happens to help

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Cool find: safety scissors work during The Beast fight
Less cool find: The D100 resets The Beast fight

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

This is why I usually check https://platinumgod.co.uk/ instead, since you can just look for the icon if you don't know the item name. You can also use the search filter if you know the name or just part of the name for the item. You can search for words in the item description too, so you could search for "flies" if the item generates attack flies, for example.

Oh that's really helpful, thanks!

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
The rocket propelled bomb upgrade is really fun against bosses except for all the times that I forget I've got it and blow myself up. Which is most of the time.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The red key is one of the cooler items this update added, yeah.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't really like the items that are just "The game is really easy but around twice as long". But I guess since they added The R Key that ship has sailed

yorkinshire
Apr 28, 2009

In space no one can hear your dope beats.

Hot Diggity! posted:

Oh that's really helpful, thanks!

Another thing I noticed about the filter is it includes typical mistakes about what the item is. For instance if you search inhaler the night light item shows up because it looks like one.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
you can search for colors on platinum god, as well

useful when the best description you have for the item is 'purple'

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Danger - Octopus! posted:

The rocket propelled bomb upgrade is really fun against bosses except for all the times that I forget I've got it and blow myself up. Which is most of the time.
It's one of the two items I always skip. The other being anti-gravity tears. I'll even take my reflection sometimes, but never those two.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Ran into Cube Baby for the first time last night. It was almost impossible to kick in the direction I wanted it to go. Can't say I'm a fan of it.

Also I know we've beaten this to death but jeeze did they nerf Tech-X hard.

Cube baby is way more fun in co op when you can just turn some rooms into pong :allears:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Is there a page on the wiki somewhere that just has all the different unlocks that give starting items/upgrades to characters?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

No Wave posted:

It's one of the two items I always skip. The other being anti-gravity tears. I'll even take my reflection sometimes, but never those two.

you can still drop normal bombs if you pick up rocket in a jar

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I don't really like the items that are just "The game is really easy but around twice as long". But I guess since they added The R Key that ship has sailed

R key doesn't really need to extend your run by a crazy amount tbqh, if you aren't hilariously underpowered at the time you use it you should be able to blaze through the early floors pretty quickly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

flatluigi posted:

you can search for colors on platinum god, as well

useful when the best description you have for the item is 'purple'

Can search by pools as well, Devil Room, Angel Room etc.