Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Tankakern posted:

i once set up openssh through cygwin on a windows machine maybe 10 years ago

that's my windows shell story hope you liked it

there's a native SSH server in windows these days

i have no idea where tho, it was in services on my old install, now it isn't. probably have to click something 17 screens into settings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Truga posted:

there's a native SSH server in windows these days

i have no idea where tho, it was in services on my old install, now it isn't. probably have to click something 17 screens into settings

windows key -> "manage optional features"

your .sshd_config file will be in %ProgramData%\ssh

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

sshing into a box and getting powershell is definitely a spit take for me

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
like what do you even do after you ssh into a windows machine. lol check it out i can run 'dir' OVER THE INTERNET

how complete is their ssh server? can you do reverse port maps? tunneling? scp transfers? or is it "yeah baby look at that prompt. linus start your photocopier"

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

windows releaed a server product with no gui with 2012 I think, I'm sure you can do everything

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

doesn't support tunnelling yet but it does scp, sftp, and ssh-agent stuff just fine

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
fair nuff. baby steps. go microsoft! You'll get to the level of functionality of a 2003 debian cd eventually, we're all rooting for you. hang in there

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

my stepdads beer posted:

windows releaed a server product with no gui with 2012 I think, I'm sure you can do everything

according to the grey forums there’s still tons of things that won’t work on server core for basically no good reason

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

server core was really meant for running a hyper-v host and that's about it, the idea being that you'd have a bunch of headless hyper-v host with no need to RDP into them running server core, and then you would buy and use system center

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
openssh on windows only exists for backwards compat with legacy systems

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

I once administered a OSS proto-VDI solution that baked a cygwin sshd service into the base windows image so the controller process could ssh in and do bootstrap customization.

It was not robust.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

windows is very bad, which is why microsoft loves linux now

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

when was the last time microsoft created a successful product that wasn't just them buying someone else's rails or electron app for billions of dollars

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

vs code?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Jeoh posted:

vs code?

a lot of that is atom work from github though.

it is a kind of badly put question though. sure, microsoft doesn't come out with a whole lot of singular "products" often anymore, but new stuff is frequently added to e.g. the o365, azure and xbox umbrellas

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

vs code is legit great

i would argue m365 has been a pretty solid slam dunk too

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

and my whole career has been based on distaste for ms

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Windows 10 steadily started improving as soon as satya stopped looking at the dev team with intent of satyaing up the project

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

nthing that vscode is the poo poo. the new windows terminal is quite nice. I use it for ssh now instead of putty since it’s xterm compliant and poo poo

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

a lot of that is atom work from github though.

it is a kind of badly put question though. sure, microsoft doesn't come out with a whole lot of singular "products" often anymore, but new stuff is frequently added to e.g. the o365, azure and xbox umbrellas

vs code is from way before ms bought github

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
i have no idea what im doing

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Kazinsal posted:

Windows 10 steadily started improving as soon as satya stopped looking at the dev team with intent of satyaing up the project

windows 10 would be ok if it actually had one settings panel, they started migrating to the new one in windows 8 which was released 9 YEARS AGO

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
Dear Mister “I don’t route or bridge my LANs”
This will be the last frame I ever send your rear end
I’ve sent six ARPs and still no word, I don't deserve it?
I know you got my last two packets, I wrote the addresses on 'em perfect

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

my homie dhall posted:

*drops mic onto infosec team’s heads*

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
my career has become go templating

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Bored Online posted:

have u ever heard of "The First Noble Truth"

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

my homie dhall posted:

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

today i accidentally got one of our transit providers to give me transit over their peering exchange, oops

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

my stepdads beer posted:

today i accidentally got one of our transit providers to give me transit over their peering exchange, oops

nice

Cerberus911
Dec 26, 2005
Guarding the damned since '05

Bored Online posted:

Full time yaml architect over here

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

my stepdads beer posted:

time to accidentally leak some routes

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

does anyone have experience with HA VIPs in a L3 ECMP environment? I know there is glb director which is supposed to solve this, but it looks like it's a bit complicated to set up, was wondering if there are any other projects/reading I should look at before I try to implement a hopefully more dumb + simple POC using something like conntrackd

what I want is tcp over anycast that can survive a change of paths/endpoints

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
Is that a mandatory requirement due to long lived flows? Resilient hashing works decently well and there's not a huge state penalty.

Other more complex approaches:
Facebook Shiv/Proxygen - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxhYNfFeVF4
Fastly - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_49Q_wDF0zQ

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

my homie dhall posted:

does anyone have experience with HA VIPs in a L3 ECMP environment? I know there is glb director which is supposed to solve this, but it looks like it's a bit complicated to set up, was wondering if there are any other projects/reading I should look at before I try to implement a hopefully more dumb + simple POC using something like conntrackd

what I want is tcp over anycast that can survive a change of paths/endpoints

Maybe I'm naive, but I wouldn't expect TCP to survive changing endpoints (changing path's should be fine though) however on the application side you should be able to identify the same user session so that a drained endpoint doesn't disrupt the front end.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

yeah typically the app has to have some shared state to accommodate the VIP changing between nodes

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i just do support tickets im not qualified to advise but joao is a genius and it sucks he doesnt still work here. that talk is good

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

tortilla_chip posted:

Is that a mandatory requirement due to long lived flows? Resilient hashing works decently well and there's not a huge state penalty.

not long-lived flows, just a fairly dynamic network so flows would be breaking all the time without resilient/consistent hashing or some other mechanism. and unfortunately (although imo probably correctly) network guys have so far refused to put anything smart into the network and something like this would require them enabling it everywhere.

will check these vids out after work though, thanks!

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Maybe I'm naive, but I wouldn't expect TCP to survive changing endpoints (changing path's should be fine though) however on the application side you should be able to identify the same user session so that a drained endpoint doesn't disrupt the front end.

my stepdads beer posted:

yeah typically the app has to have some shared state to accommodate the VIP changing between nodes

yeah, what I'd like to have is a proxy/VIP service that lives across multiple nodes and have traffic be able to land on any of them and get forwarded to correct service.

normally traffic for a single flow/connection will always take the same path in a network, even in ECMP environments, but this is a result of the way l3 ecmp is implemented. at every hop the 5-tuple (sport, sip, dip, dport, proto) is hashed into buckets equal to however many next hops are available to determine what the next hop should be. so if network is completely static, a given flow/connection will always wind up at the same place (because the 5-tuple doesn't change and the number of buckets are not changing at each hop along the way) and this would be easy. our network changes all the time though, which breaks this behavior because whenever it happens a bunch of flows that were previously going along one path and ending up at one endpoint are going to be reshuffled to a different path/endpoint and break the connection because the new endpoint won't know about it

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Broken connections are baked into the design of anycast services. This is a fundamental attribute. Your application either needs to be written to detect and recover from it quickly (most modern services are) or use UDP.

edit; further, you should almost certainly be using GSLB instead of dodgying it up with anycast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

What kind of service are you running on those VIPs? This is probably better accomplished at the application layer to direct traffic to different IPs rather than this "anycast TCP" at the network layer. Your network peeps are correct to :psyduck: