Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Xaris posted:

DNE Is good but Alice is really not the right fit for it. I like her a fair bit in TRASHFUTURE (a good pod), but just the wrong energy for WTYP. I think DNE's best stuff is his solo-work myself, although I understand the appeal of having co-hosts but some of my favorite pods are like MSJ's Death is Just Around The Corner, richard wolff's economic update, or gh0stpinstaball's Ghost Stories for End of the World, and they're just 1-man shows and I think would be worse with active co-hosts trying to joke around. i think WYTP would probably be better served by say... the energy and dynamic of Car Talk hosts. basically just clone DNE and put it on as a co-host.

WTYP would be worse if I couldn't listen to it on my computer and jump past tedious derails and riffs. Alice is not so bad on some episodes, but on others I've stopped far before the end because I was tired of her commentary.

Economic Update is great stuff. So is Ghost Stories for the End of the World. Ghost Stories is coming back in June, btw. Agreed with both of these shows being stronger because there is just one host. The host being independently able to speed up or slow down their narriative or emphasize how they wish is a noticeable advantage over a multihost format.

bedpan has issued a correction as of 04:25 on Apr 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

hyped for more ghost stories

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

im still waiting for a "Gauche Stories" podcast about fashion mistakes and criminal savoir faire failures.

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

as a gay dude I would literally rather someone call me a human being and spit in my face than compare me to a mcelroy. jesus loving christ

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
i think our society was better when we didn't know every intimate detail of interpersonal drama about the shock jocks we listen to

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Dreylad posted:

i think our society was better when we didn't know every intimate detail of interpersonal drama about the shock jocks we listen to

an unavoidable consequence of alienation and the rise of parasocial relationships

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

bedpan posted:

an unavoidable consequence of alienation and the rise of parasocial relationships

it's grim stuff, bedpan.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

bedpan posted:

Ghost Stories is coming back in June, btw.

Oh gently caress yes.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

MonsieurChoc posted:

Oh gently caress yes.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

TheSlutPit posted:

as a gay dude I would literally rather someone call me a human being and spit in my face than compare me to a mcelroy. jesus loving christ

transgender people earn honor by combat if compared to a McElroy :toughguy:

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I feel like my attention span has been utterly destroyed (by too much podcasts) because I can't pay attention enough to follow along with Ghost Stories and also TrueAnon :(

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Orb Crabmelt posted:

I feel like my attention span has been utterly destroyed (by too much podcasts) because I can't pay attention enough to follow along with Ghost Stories and also TrueAnon :(

Ymmv but I found this to be the case when I had a long work commute and relied more on podcasts and audiobooks as a result. I've had a WFH job for the past few years and started reading more and listening to podcasts and audiobooks less. Now they're basically reserved for when I'm doing household chores. But I found that spending 30 minutes to an hour a day reading with no distractions has improved my attention span a lot. Pretty anodyne advice and it obviously depends on what free time you have, if any. I stick to actual books whenever possible since reading ebooks on my phone means I have a dozen potential distractions at my fingertips.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Orb Crabmelt posted:

As someone who was born with an broken auditorily-processing part of the brain and also not-so-good attention span, if you use pocketcasts you can turn down Volume Speed which will help. I find 0.9x a pretty good setting where it doesnt feel like it's altering tone or anything -- feels as natural as 1.0 just a bit more time. No need to be that obscene goon who listens to 5000 hrs of podcasts a day at 6.9x speed.

but yeah sometimes you'll have to re-listen a few times. repetition afterall does work. for me, they're mostly just entertainment to put on while I work/do field observation/on a train/sit in a car stuck in SF stop-n-go traffic for 2 hrs to get home. but there is a lot of very good information in trueanon and such that if I want to retain it I usually have to listen to it a couple of times.

i could listen to lizbrace all day so it's okay

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

sometimes i'll do particularly heady podcasts twice. usually first run when i'm getting wasted at night gaming and then pay more attention the next day doing chores. it really does help. i think i listen to most Revolutions episodes twice because holy gently caress there's so much info in 25 minutes

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

a hearty and savory podcast, washed down with an effervescent and refreshing podcast to cleanse the listening palette

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Victory Position posted:

a hearty and savory podcast, washed down with an effervescent and refreshing podcast to cleanse the listening palette
cajun voice matt to start the day and Sebastian-voice nick to end the day.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

does anyone listen to beep beep lettuce? i've been a fan for forever but nobody talks about them. they have the most c-spam 'vibe' of any of the lot imo

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

i say swears online posted:

does anyone listen to beep beep lettuce? i've been a fan for forever but nobody talks about them. they have the most c-spam 'vibe' of any of the lot imo

link an episode and the local panel of judges will decide if it's worthy to enter the the aggrocrag

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
brace sent out an email about trueanon t-shirts and i was gunna buy one but they were sold out in like 15 minutes of sending out the shop link lol

(i wanted the eyes wide open one but epstein one would have been good)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Xaris posted:

link an episode and the local panel of judges will decide if it's worthy to enter the the aggrocrag

https://soundcloud.com/beepbeepleaf/tracks

new ep a couple hours ago but i haven't heard it. the recent ones have been pretty strong

also link the trueanon store

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Xaris posted:

brace sent out an email about trueanon t-shirts and i was gunna buy one but they were sold out in like 15 minutes of sending out the shop link lol

(i wanted the eyes wide open one but epstein one would have been good)

wake me up when they have a button or a lapel pin

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

https://soundcloud.com/beepbeepleaf/tracks

new ep a couple hours ago but i haven't heard it. the recent ones have been pretty strong

also link the trueanon store
ok the jury will now convene in the hidden forum

https://trueanon.com/

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

jesus who would wear that Epstein's shirt lol

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

me bitch. i will ride BART wearing multiple of them, all day, every day, just going back and forth from richmond depot to sfo until someone tells me who da gently caress killed jeffrey epstein

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

The eyes wide open one is very good.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
i prob wouldnt wear the epstein one because im a cowardly goon whose afraid of his own shadow, but i actually legit wanted the eyes wide open one.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Josh Christ posted:

The eyes wide open one is very good.

Xaris posted:

i prob wouldnt wear the epstein one because im a cowardly goon whose afraid of his own shadow, but i actually legit wanted the eyes wide open one.

agreed

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
honestly just a shirt of their logo would be pretty sick

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

just steal the eye emoji

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
i enjoy beep beep lettuce.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

tokin opposition posted:

i enjoy beep beep lettuce.

unfortunately i'm listening to the latest episode and it's missing brynn, the Best One

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

just steal the eye emoji

have you ever wondered how much money the Unicode Consortium pulls in from licensing out all of the emojis (Unicode character addresses) 👁️

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Orb Crabmelt posted:

Hit that 1.7x speed button on your podcast player.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
On average I've listened to every episode of the dollop at least three times. I'm in double digits on some of them.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i'm not sure i've seen my favorite movie of all time double-digits

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

thotsky posted:

On average I've listened to every episode of the dollop at least three times. I'm in double digits on some of them.

[Podcasts] extremely terrifying podcast listening statistics inside

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
i'd rather hear intimate details about your masturbation and sex life and your thoughts on age of consent laws than know this poo poo. come on have some empathy for your fellow goons. knowing that people listen to each dollop episode 20x and listen to 500 hrs of podcasts at day at 10x speed is grotesque brain violence.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Well, neither have I, but you can listen to a podcast while doing something else, or as you're going to sleep etc, bit different with a movie.
That said, there's probably some episodes of TNG where I'm in double digits.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
to continue terrifying podcast listening statistics... i've actually never listened to a single episode of the dollop

seeing a podcast with like 20000 episodes and been on for like 15 years is a little too daunting to get into, even if it's all mental and no reason to actually listen to all or most of the previous catalog. All the ones i listen to either been near ground floor or at like 100-episodes when I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

drives me nuts to hear something i already memorized or understand. i can't even rewatch planet earth and other documentaries. i spent two hours watching peruvian election returns on sunday