Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
poll
This poll is closed.
answer 1 9 8.33%
answer 2 15 13.89%
answer 3 48 44.44%
answer 4 36 33.33%
Total: 108 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Persona 5's opening is much better than 4's was, hope I get to beat up these cops later.

Looking through mods, I notice one to replace someone called Ryuigi with Waluigi graphics and sound effects. Is there any reason not to replace this rando I haven't met yet with an old friend I met on the Party Board? The Waluigi mod for FFXV was lackluster because it didn't have any sounds to go with it and it would get weird clipping on Bowser

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
It was mildly interesting to me that persona 5 doesn't translate things like senpai or otaku cuz I guess you are just expected to know what that means by now

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Khanstant posted:

Looking through mods, I notice one to replace someone called Ryuigi with Waluigi graphics and sound effects. Is there any reason not to replace this rando I haven't met yet with an old friend I met on the Party Board? The Waluigi mod for FFXV was lackluster because it didn't have any sounds to go with it and it would get weird clipping on Bowser

Started reading Persona 5 posts but I can't understand a thing anyone is saying

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jay Rust posted:

iirc “[person’s name]-senpai” means “[person’s name]”

Thank you Jay Rust-senpai

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Well technically, based on your regdates...

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
People were still signing up to this site after 2010? :psyduck:

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

You are all my posting nakama

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Mode 7 posted:

You are all my posting nakama

I know this word from my favorite anime, NBC’s Hannibal.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

fridge corn posted:

It was mildly interesting to me that persona 5 doesn't translate things like senpai or otaku cuz I guess you are just expected to know what that means by now

I feel like if you don’t know those words you might not be the type of person to enjoy Persona 5

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Everyone just uses -san once you get a job so senpai can go sendie

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

fridge corn posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvNxgHTWIlo

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Roach Warehouse posted:

I know this word from my favorite anime, NBC’s Hannibal.

that is my favorite yaoi anime, as well.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
I reject honorifics

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A dude I had to deal with had the honorific Dono which in business roughly means "king poo poo of gently caress mountain"

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
"Normally, translators handle ore-sama by rephrasing things, like “I, the great Wario”. I guess the fan translators thought ore-sama was unique to Final Fantasy VI or that it’s a really important word that can’t be translated into English, because it’s translated as “Mr. Me” in the fan translation. I… never, ever imagined I’d see this basic term handled as “Mr. Me”. Every time I think about it I can only say “wow”."

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Saint Freak posted:

"Normally, translators handle ore-sama by rephrasing things, like “I, the great Wario”. I guess the fan translators thought ore-sama was unique to Final Fantasy VI or that it’s a really important word that can’t be translated into English, because it’s translated as “Mr. Me” in the fan translation. I… never, ever imagined I’d see this basic term handled as “Mr. Me”. Every time I think about it I can only say “wow”."

lmao

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Imho normalize translating ore-same as “Ya Boy” like Pokemon did with Guzma.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
What's the best way to learn about the 40k universe? Just the lore, I don't have the patience, skill, or money for figurine painting.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Rinkles posted:

What's the best way to learn about the 40k universe? Just the lore, I don't have the patience, skill, or money for figurine painting.

Reading wikis

I recommend 1d4chan

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Via games and occasional googling when when something sounds like you want to know more about it

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

Did P5 Royal do anything to make those last couple of dungeons less of a slog? I remember getting really annoyed with the first impossible maze, and then the next dungeon they throw in another maze except this time it's pitch black. Even using a guide I couldn't get out of there and eventually just gave up. I didn't have the patience to try and figure that out like I did as a kid trying to walk through Rock Tunnel in pokemon w/o Flash.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

untzthatshit posted:

Did P5 Royal do anything to make those last couple of dungeons less of a slog? I remember getting really annoyed with the first impossible maze, and then the next dungeon they throw in another maze except this time it's pitch black. Even using a guide I couldn't get out of there and eventually just gave up. I didn't have the patience to try and figure that out like I did as a kid trying to walk through Rock Tunnel in pokemon w/o Flash.

Yeah, every dungeon has been reworked to one degree or another, with the space port and cruise ship dungeons getting the biggest reworks. They're still long (every dungeon is long) but they're significantly shorter than the vanilla versions and their overall gimmicks have been reworked to be less annoying to deal with.

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

Hmm...well that's good to know, that might actually persuade me to give P5R a go and actually finish the game this time!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This is why I liked Persona 3 the best, it didn't do any dungeon gimmicks, it was just a pure dungeon crawler when you wanted it to be, and then FES added an actual legit dungeon crawler mode.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I reject honorifics
well, you do have no honor

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I reject honorifics

Yes, sir, Mr. SNU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Generally I like that Persona 5 has actual dungeons with level design instead of randomly-generated levels, but vanilla P5's dungeons absolutely started to drag towards the end. Royal improved them quite a bit.

That said I also think the biggest gameplay improvement in Persona 5 (compared to 3 and 4) is in the battle system. The Baton Pass mechanic is fantastic and I really miss it when I replay the older games. A remake of Persona 3 with Persona 5's combat would be incredible.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

CubeTheory posted:

Yes, sir, Mr. SNU

booo

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It’s really cool that this 500 MB update is taking half an hour to finish, also it’s really cool that the PS4 won’t let me play DS3 online until it finishes.

Speaking of holy wow, maybe my online sucks poo poo even though it handles Bloodborne just fine, but wow does that chug when doing PvP stuff (I usually just do coop but didn’t realize some covenants force you to do it and also tend to get ganked a lot right after being re-embered).

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Does anyone here use Apple Arcade? I got a new iPhone last week and just got an email offering me a free 1 month trial. I haven't played a game on a phone in a very, very long time. Any good games that I could blast through in a month?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

Does anyone here use Apple Arcade? I got a new iPhone last week and just got an email offering me a free 1 month trial. I haven't played a game on a phone in a very, very long time. Any good games that I could blast through in a month?

If you haven't already played it on console or PC, Sayonara Wild Hearts is fantastic. It's sort of a hybrid rhythm game/endless runner with great music and a nice, if minimalist, story

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Wildtortilla posted:

Play exactly 1 month of Grindstone.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Wildtortilla posted:

guildlings, mutazione, neo cab, tangle tower

platinum just released an action game called "world of demons" but i haven't played it. looks cool though

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Wildtortilla posted:

Mistwalker's new game Fantasian just launched and I think people like it, but it's only the first half of the game. Rest is... late this year I heard?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Harrow posted:

Yeah, every dungeon has been reworked to one degree or another, with the space port and cruise ship dungeons getting the biggest reworks. They're still long (every dungeon is long) but they're significantly shorter than the vanilla versions and their overall gimmicks have been reworked to be less annoying to deal with.

Can you save in those dungeons? Last night I wanted to go to bed, but it was like half hour of cutscenes before they gave me another save point opportunity. I'm a little paranoid now, how hard is it to gently caress this game up? Newgrounds flash games back in the day had a lot of the time-management sim stuff and I was always bad at it. I can tell my room is going to have a bunch of things in it I can burn time on cleaning, but how tight is the games time, can you do everything pretty easily or sre there going to be days where I'm like "oops, got nothing of value done"

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

untzthatshit posted:

Did P5 Royal do anything to make those last couple of dungeons less of a slog?

Harrow posted:

On top of this, you gain way more EXP from Mementos with Ryujis reworked ability (you get EXP/Gold from instakilling weak demons) so you'll have way more resources available to make it less of a slog. There's also a series of insanely OP rewards for clearing dungeons, and the accessory you get from the third dungeon just makes you invincible so if you ever get frustrated you can just slap it on and not have to worry about fights.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Wildtortilla posted:

I think you get 3 months or at least I did.

Worth Playing:
Sayonara Wild Hearts
Chu Chu Rocket Universe

Its literally one half the game and kind of rough in some spots and theres no confirmed release date for part 2 other than later this year and Im certainly not mad you're mad:
Fantasian

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Khanstant posted:

Can you save in those dungeons? Last night I wanted to go to bed, but it was like half hour of cutscenes before they gave me another save point opportunity. I'm a little paranoid now, how hard is it to gently caress this game up? Newgrounds flash games back in the day had a lot of the time-management sim stuff and I was always bad at it. I can tell my room is going to have a bunch of things in it I can burn time on cleaning, but how tight is the games time, can you do everything pretty easily or sre there going to be days where I'm like "oops, got nothing of value done"

Yes, every dungeon has multiple safe rooms that you can save in and fast travel to and from.

The time management stuff in P5 Royal is very forgiving. It was pretty forgiving in vanilla P5 and only got easier to deal with in Royal. My advice to not "gently caress up" would be:
  • Don't ignore your social stats. A lot of confidants require you to have a certain rank in one of your social stats to progress past a certain point. Luckily, Royal makes it easier to increase these because you get more free time in the evenings than you used to, which you can use to read books, watch movies, etc.
  • Prioritize your party member confidants. They get really good combat and out-of-combat abilities as you rank them up.
  • Prioritize the Fortune and Councillor confidants when you unlock them later. Fortune has incredibly powerful bonuses that can let you basically pay money to make time management easier, doing things like boosting how fast your social stats go up and straight-up giving you relationship points with a confidant. Meanwhile, the Councillor confidant is required to unlock the bonus Royal content and that is something you don't wanna miss.
  • Try to have a Persona with you whose arcana matches the confidant you're hanging out with. That gives you bonus relationship points and it really adds up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What stat does watching movies increase?