Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

Sheet protectors (heaviest possible)

You don't wanna get cheeto dust on your 20th-level Paladin, is all I'm saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

GreenMetalSun posted:

You don't wanna get cheeto dust on your 20th-level Paladin, is all I'm saying.

I'm also lol'ing that the "very patient DM" thing goes back to the dawn of the loving hobby.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Drafting equipment?

Gonna need me a t-square, some dusting brushes, at least one pantograph...

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Mors Rattus posted:

Drafting equipment?

Gonna need me a t-square, some dusting brushes, at least one pantograph...
Yes. Back in the day you would have a player whose job was to draw the map based on the DM's descriptions because the DM was supposed to have the map already made but not show it to the players. You also had a player whose job it was to collect the actions of other players and the order of their actions and then relay it to the DM as a shot caller.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
I think by drafting equipment they more mean rulers and protractors but still

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Hostile V posted:

Yes. Back in the day you would have a player whose job was to draw the map based on the DM's descriptions because the DM was supposed to have the map already made but not show it to the players. You also had a player whose job it was to collect the actions of other players and the order of their actions and then relay it to the DM as a shot caller.

And it still infuriates me when [ Block Text ] does NOT describe the room size, scale and exits FIRST before telling me what's in the room.

As a DM, the players would typically make such a a hash of trying to draw the map from my description, I'd end up just drawing for them.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
3x "TOTM" combat was always still basically imagining every character at the center of a 3x3 grid.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Comstar posted:

And it still infuriates me when [ Block Text ] does NOT describe the room size, scale and exits FIRST before telling me what's in the room.

As a DM, the players would typically make such a a hash of trying to draw the map from my description, I'd end up just drawing for them.

When I started playing in 2nd edition, the DM would only do that for us if one of us took the cartography skill.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Hostile V posted:

The mapper and caller are pretty good rules at the time for how the game was. The players could huddle up to figure out their plans apart from the DM. The mapper and caller roles would have been even better if they'd been attached to a better game; 4e can almost use a caller, but the length of combat and the number of reactions and triggers make it less good.

It was fun, back in the day, to play games that enthusiastically encouraged you to map the locations yourself, because you could sometimes tell where secret areas were, and one time I had a DM do a chase scene where we had to rely on the mapper's map to flee the right way. Mainly it was the secrets, though. See, e.g., early Might and Magic PC games and many published TSR modules. I don't wish every game were like that now, or even most, but as a sometimes-food it was really satisfying. But then, I was the kid who would doodle floorplans on graph paper for fun anyway.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

I ran Palace of the Silver Princess in 5e exactly as laid out and their cartographer created one of the worst maps I've ever seen. Like I felt bad cause he was completely hindering them through this castle, trying to go back to places they'd been and ending up in totally new places.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

I don’t bother with a mapper even I’m running an OSR dungeon. We start off with the assumption that the group’s basic equipment includes chalk to mark off dungeon walls as they go so they can find their way back.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.

Comstar posted:

Maze of the Blue Medusa (great review so far!) has this problem real bad, you have to squint at the map and try to figure out where the exits and weird-shaped walls go so you can describe it.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

BinaryDoubts posted:

Maze of the Blue Medusa (great review so far!) has this problem real bad, you have to squint at the map and try to figure out where the exits and weird-shaped walls go so you can describe it.

I ended up just putting it on a hidden layer as GM and revealing it as we went to avoid that. Wasn't worth cartography hell.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Gatto Grigio posted:

I don’t bother with a mapper even I’m running an OSR dungeon. We start off with the assumption that the group’s basic equipment includes chalk to mark off dungeon walls as they go so they can find their way back.

So what you're saying is... A couple of goblins tasked with following the party and rubbing the chalk marks off with a damp cloth?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Arthil posted:

So what you're saying is... A couple of goblins tasked with following the party and rubbing the chalk marks off with a damp cloth?

That's not nearly AD&D enough.

Make it some stealthy Tiny aberrations evolved to feed on chalk traces, specifically.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Roadie posted:

That's not nearly AD&D enough.

Make it some stealthy Tiny aberrations evolved to feed on chalk traces, specifically.
Invisible stealth micro-walruses who feed on the skeletal fossils that constitute chalk. If the party uses paint instead, the micro-walruses won't haunt them (but the paint eaters will).

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Arthil posted:

Worse, change the marks. Like when Sarah tries to mark her way with lipstick in Labyrinth

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

BinaryDoubts posted:

SkyeAuroline posted:

I ended up just putting it on a hidden layer as GM and revealing it as we went to avoid that. Wasn't worth cartography hell.
This is easily solved by not running Maze of the Blue Medusa, and is also the least of the problems with running Maze of the Blue Medusa

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Splicer posted:

This is easily solved by not running Maze of the Blue Medusa, and is also the least of the problems with running Maze of the Blue Medusa

At the time when I ran it, the full picture with Zak hadn't come out yet and I was unaware of the rumors that had been going. I just knew Patrick's work. FWIW, ongoing F&F review that I've been adding play commentary alongside as they update.

Would not recommend running the module though.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Nah I would think the rear end in a top hat OSR maneuver would be tiny camouflaged bugs with chalk-like markings on their backs to throw off their directions.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Glagha posted:

Nah I would think the rear end in a top hat OSR maneuver would be tiny camouflaged bugs with chalk-like markings on their backs to throw off their directions.

"You didn't say you were making sure that the chalk marks matched the same ones you made."

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
also the bugs can arrange themselves into a level 20 glyph of blindness/deaf/mute.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Kurieg posted:

also the bugs can arrange themselves into a level 20 glyph of blindness/deaf/mute.

Other options are Sepia Snake Sigil or Exploding Runes

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the walls are perpetually wet

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

gradenko_2000 posted:

the walls are perpetually wet

Moist

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I've been in caves like that, unpleasant.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Kwyndig posted:

I've been in caves like that, unpleasant.

Was gonna say, that one's actually realistic potentially.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Most young caves are wet because running water through earth and stone is how most caves are made!

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Real talk, you shouldn't chalk markings on the wall. You should score them into the rock, deep enough that you can feel them in total darkness.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Drive iron spikes into the floor every 48 feet, with 50' ropes tied from one to the next, and the party is roped together and roped to the spikes behind them. Every 50 feet, a character in the rear goes back and unties the last rope that they now don't need and brings it to the front for the next segment. This ensures the character in the lead can't fall down a pit far enough to be impaled on the spikes at the bottom, while also leaving a trail of spikes to follow back. Of course, this will lead a rust monster right to them...

Back in the old school days we'd have a character carrying a lantern and 12' pole in the lead, then an archer 2nd, then a character with the map 3rd (usually the wizard since she doesn't need to draw a weapon), and then a character with a weapon and shield covering the rear. We usually didn't bother with the rope stuff because the GM would get annoyed.

And yes, we had to make our own twelve foot poles since only 10' poles had prices and were therefore available for purchase, but you need a pole longer than ten feet so you can find the trigger for traps that open in the previous 10' square. Also so you can lay the pole across a 10' gap.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Personally I just flood or smoke the dungeon out, if you're seriously considering going into a place where a ten-foot pole is required then you need to rethink your priorities.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Leperflesh posted:

And yes, we had to make our own twelve foot poles since only 10' poles had prices and were therefore available for purchase, but you need a pole longer than ten feet so you can find the trigger for traps that open in the previous 10' square. Also so you can lay the pole across a 10' gap.
IMO poles should be modular, in sections of a few feet that can be disassembled for movement in tight space and then reassembled to the desired length.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

BTW, poles were such an incredibly important and useful thing in pre-modern europe (e. all over the world, apparently, and going into pre-history) that they invented and perfected a technique called coppicing in which a tree is cut back to the stump (or sometimes just at branch intersections, a technique called pollarding), and multiple leaders encouraged to grow, so that a single tree can produce multiple poles. Those poles were more valuable than growing a single whole thick tree, and took a lot less time. Coppiced trees also never die, so whole woodlands were coppiced in stages over decadal cycles for centuries. (Note that coppice wood was also important for making charcoal.)

One of the reason modern hafted tools are much worse than old-school ones is that their handles are (usually machine-) made from planks cut from tree trunks, so they have grain running through the handle somewhere rather than along it; the handle will tend to split at grain intersections. A spearshaft or farming tool haft from the medieval era would have been stronger.

This, in turn, explains why a 10' pole might cost more than 50% of the cost of a 10' ladder: the ladder's uprights don't need to be as strong across the diameter, so they can be cut from any old plank, whereas the pole is probably basically a debarked sapling with tight uncut growth rings the entire length.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 12, 2021

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Leperflesh posted:

BTW, poles were such an incredibly important and useful thing in pre-modern europe (e. all over the world, apparently, and going into pre-history) that they invented and perfected a technique called coppicing in which a tree is cut back to the stump (or sometimes just at branch intersections, a technique called pollarding), and multiple leaders encouraged to grow, so that a single tree can produce multiple poles. Those poles were more valuable than growing a single whole thick tree, and took a lot less time. Coppiced trees also never die, so whole woodlands were coppiced in stages over decadal cycles for centuries. (Note that coppice wood was also important for making charcoal.)

One of the reason modern hafted tools are much worse than old-school ones is that their handles are (usually machine-) made from planks cut from tree trunks, so they have grain running through the handle somewhere rather than along it; the handle will tend to split at grain intersections. A spearshaft or farming tool haft from the medieval era would have been stronger.

This, in turn, explains why a 10' pole might cost more than 50% of the cost of a 10' ladder: the ladder's uprights don't need to be as strong across the diameter, so they can be cut from any old plank, whereas the pole is probably basically a debarked sapling with tight uncut growth rings the entire length.

This is actually super interesting. Today I learned!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Leperflesh posted:

This was a cool read, thanks!

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019
Before I back, any red flags from these creators?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/soulmuppet/orbital-blues

Edit: this isn't stealth promotion. More, I'm tired of backing stuff, only to later learn that a known CHUD was involved.

Eastmabl fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 13, 2021

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Eastmabl posted:

Before I back, any red flags from these creators?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/soulmuppet/orbital-blues

There was a thing last month (?) where Sinclair and his pals decided to go all in on a much smaller creator, including pushing the rumour that said creator was a Zak S sockpuppet (which they transparently aren't). On the other hand, the person in question was going all-in right back at them, including dropping lists of names into Discord channels with a 'please harass these people' vibe, so it's not like anyone came out of that covered in glory.

Whether that's a red flag or not... I feel is more of a personal decision?

quote:

Edit: this isn't stealth promotion. More, I'm tired of backing stuff, only to later learn that a known CHUD was involved.

loving... tell me about it. As a freelancer and sometime hirer of people in the RPG industry I feel like to protect myself I have to maintain an encyclopaedic list of beefs, grudges, abusers, rapists, racists, misogynists, alt-right sympathisers, and people who I suspect are going to out themselves as one or more of the above eventually.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Leperflesh posted:

Drive iron spikes into the floor every 48 feet, with 50' ropes tied from one to the next, and the party is roped together and roped to the spikes behind them. Every 50 feet, a character in the rear goes back and unties the last rope that they now don't need and brings it to the front for the next segment. This ensures the character in the lead can't fall down a pit far enough to be impaled on the spikes at the bottom, while also leaving a trail of spikes to follow back. Of course, this will lead a rust monster right to them...

Back in the old school days we'd have a character carrying a lantern and 12' pole in the lead, then an archer 2nd, then a character with the map 3rd (usually the wizard since she doesn't need to draw a weapon), and then a character with a weapon and shield covering the rear. We usually didn't bother with the rope stuff because the GM would get annoyed.

Reminds me of the intro adventure that came with the Forgotten Realms campaign setting. The party finds a pool of water in a cave with a pile of clothes next to it. There's an iron spike hammered into the rock with a rope leading into the pool.
If you follow the rope into the water it's attached to more spikes making a path into an underwater tunnel. As you keep following you have to start making checks of some kind to avoid drowning. If you make it to the end... you get eaten by an Aboleth.

Welcome to D&D, fuckers.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

That might be the best trap I’ve ever read about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:

potatocubed posted:

There was a thing last month (?) where Sinclair and his pals decided to go all in on a much smaller creator, including pushing the rumour that said creator was a Zak S sockpuppet (which they transparently aren't). On the other hand, the person in question was going all-in right back at them, including dropping lists of names into Discord channels with a 'please harass these people' vibe, so it's not like anyone came out of that covered in glory.

Whether that's a red flag or not... I feel is more of a personal decision?

Additionally, in the last few weeks Sinclair may have been the catalyst for a similar if smaller group of his pals turning on Skerples (who did Magical Industrial Revolution) with the imo flimsy argument that since Skerples is using a pseudonym then all the folks who worked with them/might work with them are potentially subject to Terrible Consequences (including issues over taxes?) because Skerples could, theoretically, cut and run. Multiple people who have worked with Skerples with no issues and with clear communication popped up saying as much and some of them got apologies for being talked over, but Skerples? No, clearly potentially evil, so evil, or something. A direct connection is fuzzy or maybe I missed it, but suddenly going after someone for a Kickstarter that ran last summer-ish and after Sinclair was tossing insults at Skerples seems a little sketch at the least.

But on the underhand, Sinclair gets hired for editing work hither and yon across the small-indie-publisher circuit, so this may be nothing more than a gig. I'm not entirely clear how much of a connection is between him and Soul Muppet, although they do talk on Twitter.