Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Snackmasters is a fun show and surprisingly engaging. The new season started broadcast last week but the whole thing is on All 4 (Only 4 episodes, sadly)
I like how egotistical and unhinged the chefs are, and how they get humbled when they look down on the snacks they are recreating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They turned radio 4extra back on this morning, I guess ~66 hours was enough before frivolity was allowed again.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Yeah, didn't have to instantly turn off 6Music when the alarm came on today!

On a rewatch...

quote:

LEE: Ah, is that the bag of salt.

MIKE: I assume so.

quote:

ALEX: Think you've completed the task?

MIKE: I don't really remember what the task said - I enjoyed myself.
Mike dusts himself off

ALEX: Are you a bit dirty now, Mike?

MIKE: I'm salty, I don't think that's the same thing.

ALEX: Are you now.

The foreshadowing!

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Heavy_D posted:

Yeah, didn't have to instantly turn off 6Music when the alarm came on today!

On a rewatch...

The foreshadowing!

Alex Horne is incredibly good at what he does tbh

Been a massive fan of his since the days of We Need Answers and it's great he's finally made it properly big

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Good job, Phil.

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1381655363385167879

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The only thing worse than being complained about is not being complained about.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Paladinus posted:

The only thing worse than being complained about is not being complained about.

I think there’s a remarkably sweat free prince who’d disagree with you

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Total Meatlove posted:

I think there’s a remarkably sweat free prince who’d disagree with you

The only thing worse than sweating due to paedophilia allegations is not sweating due to paedophilia allegations.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

sebzilla posted:

Alex Horne is incredibly good at what he does tbh

Been a massive fan of his since the days of We Need Answers and it's great he's finally made it properly big

He really is excellent. For anyone who's a fan who hasn't watched it yet - him, Tim Key and Mark Watson have a good little show on youtube called No More Jockeys that they started over lockdown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xIulxG7_k8

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

DaWolfey posted:

Snackmasters is a fun show and surprisingly engaging. The new season started broadcast last week but the whole thing is on All 4 (Only 4 episodes, sadly)
I like how egotistical and unhinged the chefs are, and how they get humbled when they look down on the snacks they are recreating.

The wife and I binged this over a few nights. Love this show so much.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I'm watching it live right now, and it's funny to watch chefs being yelled at for using butter in their biscuits and using chocolate instead of Chok Blok, and then the ad break is extremely fancy food sponsored by Waitrose.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Mitchell and Webb did an interview for Bullseye with Jesse Thorn (a US podcast that airs on public radio in many stations). Towards the end, about 40 minutes in, Thorn brings up Webb's tweets about Mermaids back in 2018 and boy it gets awkward.

https://maximumfun.org/episodes/bullseye-with-jesse-thorn/david-mitchell-and-robert-webb/

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Mermaids, the trans charity, not mermaids, the mythological creature.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Mr. Squishy posted:

Mermaids, the trans charity, not mermaids, the mythological creature.

<deletes cross-post to the cryptid thread>

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Yeah, the charity. Jesse Thorn has two gender-non-conforming kids, one of whom is trans, so it gets pretty tense when Thorn brings it up and Webb clearly doesn't want to talk about it.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Teddybear posted:

Mitchell and Webb did an interview for Bullseye with Jesse Thorn (a US podcast that airs on public radio in many stations). Towards the end, about 40 minutes in, Thorn brings up Webb's tweets about Mermaids back in 2018 and boy it gets awkward.

https://maximumfun.org/episodes/bullseye-with-jesse-thorn/david-mitchell-and-robert-webb/

Jesus i'm struggling to get through this with how slow the guy talks. Its like he has to explain the concept of an interview to the audience as he goes along.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Teddybear posted:

Towards the end, about 40 minutes in, Thorn brings up Webb's tweets about Mermaids back in 2018 and boy it gets awkward.
Ah gently caress, is Webb a Linehan too?

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3
DesiredPopulationMax = 19
AverageDeathsPerDay = 6
WeaponsUsed = 13

Some Strange Flea posted:

He’s an insufferable centrist from what I’ve seen on Twitter

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Some Strange Flea posted:

He's flirted with Lineham-ness on many occasions, though he's not obsessed or outspoken. He wrote a book about how he questioned his gender as a child but IIRC he concluded that it was just a phase and suggested that's probably the case for a lot of people.

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."
He’s a Linehan-lite (I believe at one point he publicly admitted to being a “GC Feminist”/TERF) but he has understood that he shouldn’t talk about it any more. In retrospect, doing an interview with Jesse considering Jesse’s family was probably a bad idea for them, but its good that he was called out.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The recording is worse than I expected. He basically pulls the "you can't say anything these days" card to get out of the situation. And although it had nothing to do with him it's a shame David didn't have a single word to say on the matter.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Wow he really just shuts it down as fast as possible and seems very pissed off it was brought up. Transphobic little coward.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

gently caress yeah

https://twitter.com/bbcpress/status/1382332770853261325?s=20

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

stev posted:

The recording is worse than I expected. He basically pulls the "you can't say anything these days" card to get out of the situation. And although it had nothing to do with him it's a shame David didn't have a single word to say on the matter.

I really wish more people would push back on stuff like this in interviews. "You can't say anything these days" is categorically untrue. There are people who have made more money then Webb ever will by saying the things you can't say these days. You can say what you want, but if being questioned about it makes you that tetchy then maybe think about why that is.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Also, as this tweet highlights, Webb or his PR people refused to send their side of the audio over and then suggested re-recording the interview if they would drop the Trans section.

https://twitter.com/JesseThorn/status/1382009511477530625?s=19

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Robert Webb is a terf? Shocker!!

(I'm sure it was this thread in which I was laughed at bc I said he was going Linehan, hang on let me check)

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

eating only apples posted:

Webb's going the Linehan way nowadays so not sure I'll bother.

Told you

e: tbf, wasn't laughed at, some oval office rolled their eyes and look where we are now

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 15, 2021

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The weird thing is that post was from 2019, and he’d already made his views known the year prior so that’s an odd reaction for someone to give.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Years ago Russell Brand said he probably wouldn't vote for any party (this was pre-Corbyn) and Robert Webb wrote a deeply patronising response where he demanded Brand "read some loving Orwell".

So hes been a bog standard upper middle class liberal for a while now.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Gorn Myson posted:

Years ago Russell Brand said he probably wouldn't vote for any party (this was pre-Corbyn) and Robert Webb wrote a deeply patronising response where he demanded Brand "read some loving Orwell".

I wouldn't support either Brand or Webb in that spat, to be honest.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Gorn Myson posted:

I wonder how he voted in 2017 and 2019.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It was by far the best episode of Taskmaster in this series yet. Every task had some memorable performances, for one reason or another. Even the stage task, which I usually find less entertaining. But the facial geometry task was definitely the highlight. Had me laughing maniacally non-stop for five whole minutes.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Paladinus posted:

It was by far the best episode of Taskmaster in this series yet. Every task had some memorable performances, for one reason or another. Even the stage task, which I usually find less entertaining. But the facial geometry task was definitely the highlight. Had me laughing maniacally non-stop for five whole minutes.

I thought the bee uniform was underwhelming. The rest was solid, though.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

sebzilla posted:

I thought the bee uniform was underwhelming. The rest was solid, though.

I found Beevel Knievel very amusing.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Paladinus posted:

Even the stage task, which I usually find less entertaining.

Glad it's not just me who isn't always super enthusiastic about the live task (but appreciate it exists to help keep the show competitive on the night).

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Paladinus posted:

I found Beevel Knievel very amusing.

I wish Mike's had gotten a bit more recognition, because as underwhelming as the uniform itself was, the fact he made accessories to bring it to life was fun and made it stand out more than the Pope outfit to me. That aside, this week's prize task was probably the best in a while and had some actually cool things that someone could conceivably like as prizes between the slide whistle, the home made tattoo gun, the bass guitar and the drill. I think the contestants have lost sight of the fact they're supposed to be prizes a lot over the last few seasons, and just bring in any old tat that technically fulfills the guideline. I also wish we'd been able to see Jamali's tattoo, because that's pretty hardcore if it's true.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Glad it's not just me who isn't always super enthusiastic about the live task (but appreciate it exists to help keep the show competitive on the night).

I think the best ones are the simple ones with some time for the various contestants to think. Sausage/finger, trying to roll something without rolling it off the stage etc. were all really fun. A lot of the tasks are really manic, and while some of them work, especially if the contestants start trying to gently caress with each other, it often means that you're just watching someone panic; which isn't as entertaining as letting tension build as someone readies themselves to do a thing. The tension between the two people competing in this one was palpable, and there's a shot of Lee just after he tells Mike he has to win this one in the final face off where he seems like he's drawing his breath. It's such a stupid game, but everyone really seemed like they were into it.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

I loved this. I watched it again recently and I was surprised by how many things I missed on the first watch. It's full of little references to earlier Alan stuff

crispix fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 16, 2021

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Boop boop

Uniform pope

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

crispix posted:

I loved this. I watched it again recently and I was surprised by how many things I missed on the first watch. It's full of little references to earlier Alan stuff

I thought too that it was way better on a rewatch. I think Alan's hosed up knees are my favorite new running gag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Gorn Myson posted:

Somehow when people say things like this they never mean 'The road to Wigan pier' or 'Homage to Catalonia'.