Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Oh so it's satire? That's pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I'm trying to figure out how in the world you get to Frank Miller becoming a character in a Watchmen spin-off and I can't do it. It's like having Joe Kubert meeting Captain Carrot.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I read the first issue and it was very tough to get a bead on it. Definitely not the normal Tom King thing but I also wouldn't go so far as to call it good based on the first issue alone. It referenced the very weird true anecdote about Frank Miller and Otto Binder conducting a seance and chatting about UFOs at Binder's house in the 70s so like-- weird Frank Miller trivia has been baked in from the beginning. Frankly I think more comics should talk about Otto Binder doing seances.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I can't think of anything more Inside Baseball WRT to comics than to make a Watchmen spinoff comic about Frank Miller. Like whooooo gives a gently caress at that point.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Haven't you seen the success of Cates' crossover and Kirby as God in the 616

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

site posted:

Haven't you seen the success of Cates' crossover and Kirby as God in the 616

The Kirby as God thing is like a couple panels and even if you have no idea who Jack Kirby is, God in the 616 being a guy sitting over a comic drafting board isn't that hard of a metaphor to understand.

Plus you know, Kirby created the F4, the comic that appeared in. Frank Miller had gently caress all to do with Watchmen, the only connection is both Frank Miller and Alan Moore being blamed for later horrible comics that they inspired, whereas I blame the people who wrote and illustrated those bad comics, and the companies that said "make us more comics like that."

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, they're right that it's not what i'd think. it is dumber and more masturbatory than i would have guessed.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Skwirl posted:

The Kirby as God thing is like a couple panels and even if you have no idea who Jack Kirby is, God in the 616 being a guy sitting over a comic drafting board isn't that hard of a metaphor to understand.

Plus you know, Kirby created the F4, the comic that appeared in. Frank Miller had gently caress all to do with Watchmen, the only connection is both Frank Miller and Alan Moore being blamed for later horrible comics that they inspired, whereas I blame the people who wrote and illustrated those bad comics, and the companies that said "make us more comics like that."

Should've made it so Alan Moore is the god but whenever he shows up it's always 20 pages of text instead of comics.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That would require admitting Alan Moore created Watchmen, which is something DC hates doing.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Kwyndig posted:

That would require admitting Alan Moore created Watchmen, which is something DC hates doing.

Did he ask for his name to be taken off of it, like with that "The Original Writer" credit on Miracleman a while back?

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
he just refuses to let people attach his name to an adaptation of one of his works

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Zetsubou-san posted:

he just refuses to let people attach his name to an adaptation of one of his works

Alan Moore did allow his name to be credited on the JLU episode "For The Man Who Has Everything".

It may actually be the only adaptation his name is on as far as I know.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Should've made it so Alan Moore is the god but whenever he shows up it's always 20 pages of text instead of comics.

I'm pretty sure Alan Moore has prepared for the scenario where one of his creations knocks on his front door, and he would blast them on sight.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

AfroSquirrel posted:

I'm pretty sure Alan Moore has prepared for the scenario where one of his creations knocks on his front door, and he would blast them on sight.

With a massive spliff.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Kirby as God has been done before. Predates Cates.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Mark Waid's Fantastic Four.

It was wonderful.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Alan Moore already did the meet his creation shtick.

And he did it better. The ultimate secret of magic (i.e. any artistic endeavor) is that any fool can do it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

Alan Moore already did the meet his creation shtick.

And he did it better. The ultimate secret of magic (i.e. any artistic endeavor) is that any fool can do it.

"Wide" as opposed to straight-and-narrow?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

But enough about Tom King's cringe.jpg

Here's the final pages of Sobek by Stokoe, where a cult tries to have their god save their city from another god's takeover. After a grueling fight ensues:

I just looove the faces in this thing

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Apr 14, 2021

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

God needs a nap too, occasionally.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

3D Megadoodoo posted:

"Wide" as opposed to straight-and-narrow?

Wideboy is British slang for a bloke who's a bit of a chancer, a diamond geezer, like.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Sobek knows what Sobek did.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Android Blues posted:

Wideboy is British slang for a bloke who's a bit of a chancer, a diamond geezer, like.

Yeah, but being wide is if you are a spiv or are gein it laldy while acting a pure belter.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Saoshyant posted:

Here's the final pages of Sobek by Stokoe, where a cult tries to have their god save their city from another god's takeover. After a grueling fight ensues:

Dang, I wanted to pick this up on Comixology but it looks like it's not available digitally and with shipping it comes out to $25 CAD. Maybe I'll wait on that and grab some of his other stuff that is available on Comixology.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Vlaphor posted:

Nope. The reason he started this was a run of terrible adaptations of his work like the film From Hell. After that and LXG (let us not call it by the comic's title) in particular where a producer talked up how much Moore loved the movie, Moore started demanding his name not be used on things.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Grendels Dad posted:

Sobek knows what Sobek did.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Random Stranger posted:

Nope. The reason he started this was a run of terrible adaptations of his work like the film From Hell. After that and LXG (let us not call it by the comic's title) in particular where a producer talked up how much Moore loved the movie, Moore started demanding his name not be used on things.

Have not seen From Hell, so I didn't know if his name was on it or not, but I did know that he's basically wanted nothing to do with adaptations of his work for a long time. One of the reasons I was shocked to see his name on the opening credits for that episode of JLU (didn't watch the series till years after it came out).

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
According to IMDB (which can be inaccurate), he's credited on From Hell, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, and the Watchmen TV show.

They have him listed on the other stuff, but it's marked as "uncredited".

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Saoshyant posted:

But enough about Tom King's cringe.jpg

I just looove the faces in this thing

This isn't the first time Stokoe's done a comic about a gigantic aquatic lizard who wrecks up a city in the process of saving it before loving off back to whatever it was doing earlier, and I'm betting it won't be the last

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
It might've started with League, not so much because they made a garbage movie adaptation of it, but because they ripped off another guy's script to do it and then Moore got dragged along into court to defend himself over another person's fuckup.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

The main reason is the he was part of a lawsuit where someone claimed that they had the idea for the plot of LXG. He was basically accused of stealing the idea for the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

Kwyndig posted:

I think you vastly underestimate how much of a selling point it would be to have Alan Moore's official seal of approval on those comics.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Mystery Men Comics #14 (1940)

The Unstoppable Wasp #1 (2018)

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

davidspackage posted:

It might've started with League, not so much because they made a garbage movie adaptation of it, but because they ripped off another guy's script to do it and then Moore got dragged along into court to defend himself over another person's fuckup.

Yeah it started with League, From Hell was a few years before that.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The From Hell adaptation was loving terrible

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Alhazred posted:

The main reason is the he was part of a lawsuit where someone claimed that they had the idea for the plot of LXG. He was basically accused of stealing the idea for the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

Not being credited doesn't protect you from that kind of lawsuit that inevitably occurs for any Hollywood production.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

Not being credited doesn't protect you from that kind of lawsuit that inevitably occurs for any Hollywood production.

Can't be sued if nobody knows you wrote the base for the adaption.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Vlaphor posted:

Alan Moore did allow his name to be credited on the JLU episode "For The Man Who Has Everything".

It's a good ep

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Random Stranger posted:

It wasn't about avoiding lawsuits, Moore was just really incensed that he got accused of ripping off the idea for League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, and that the studio settled instead of fighting it. The only reason the claimants had a case was because all the stuff the screenwriters changed for the League script (such as throwing in Tom Sawyer) made it awfully similar to a 90s pitch for a movie called Cast of Characters.

I'd love to see someone take another stab at a League movie or series, but the copyright tangle doesn't seem worth the headache.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Kwyndig posted:

It's more Alan Moore hates admitting he created it at this point.