Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Question.
This poll is closed.
Yes. 76 50.67%
No. 74 49.33%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Decimate the police

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I am very disappointed that only eleven of you chose both options on the poll.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

shame on an IGA posted:

reboot the police

Does Bob count as a cop?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Cugel the Clever posted:

I don't think it's particularly feasible to persuade/educate the broader public that "abolish" actually means "totally reset and reform" in this context.

If one is chatting with a neighbor they're on good terms with and the neighbor expresses confusion and doubt about the phrase "abolish the police", you don't try browbeat them into submission and demand they educate themselves (I hope). If a plain-English reading understandably creates confusion, why not change the messaging?

Yes. If your catchy slogan requires someone to go read a lengthy essay about why the plain-English meaning isn't the actual meaning, your slogan sucks.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyU6NtwspLM

WRT Egypt Egypting, the MV Ever Given crew could get hosed over like this guy. He's been stranded off the coast of Egypt since May 2017 because the shipping company abandoned him and the Egyptian government basically tricked him into signing as the guardian of the ship, and are holding him and his passport hostage until the ship is sold.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

That Works posted:

Decimate the police

Think we may need more than 10% gone.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

orange juche posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyU6NtwspLM

WRT Egypt Egypting, the MV Ever Given crew could get hosed over like this guy. He's been stranded off the coast of Egypt since May 2017 because the shipping company abandoned him and the Egyptian government basically tricked him into signing as the guardian of the ship, and are holding him and his passport hostage until the ship is sold.

His situation is completely hosed, but it isn’t exactly the same as the Ever Given. He’s on an old oil tanker that is empty. The Ever Given is a newer ship with a massive amount of cargo onboard. There will be no problem finding a buyer for it.

E: he is not on a tanker but it does appear to be empty.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Apr 14, 2021

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Platystemon posted:

I am very disappointed that only eleven of you chose both options on the poll.

Always vote checkbox. :colbert:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

His situation is completely hosed, but it isn’t exactly the same as the Ever Given. He’s on an old oil tanker that is empty. The Ever Given is a newer ship with a massive amount of cargo onboard. There will be no problem finding a buyer for it.

They could try to sell the cargo separately to try to extract more money from the impoundment of the ship, unless there's a law in place that says that the cargo cannot be sold separately. Odds are someone on the ship is going to get hosed real good by this and be stuck on a rusting empty hulk like Mohammed there.

The mariners on ever given might be helped a little more than Mohammed though because they probably have functional embassies that exist somewhere in Egypt, and hopefully the diplomats assigned there can get poo poo in gear quicker than 4 years. Mohammed is hosed though cause lol Syria.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Apr 14, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Oil tanker?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Platystemon posted:

Oil tanker?

Whoops! I misremembered from the video yesterday. I blame moderna fever dreams.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Holy gently caress poor guy

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Platystemon posted:

Oil tanker?

Was going to say, yeah the deck looked like it had attachment points for cargo containers, and not the pumping equipment you would expect on a tanker.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...rter-narrative/

quote:

“What we know 90 days later is that the insurrection was the result of a large, diffuse and new kind of protest movement congealing in the United States,” the political science professor wrote in The Washington Post. “Those involved are, by and large, older and more professional than right-wing protesters we have surveyed in the past. They typically have no ties to existing right-wing groups. But like earlier protesters, they are 95 percent White and 85 percent male, and many live near and among Biden supporters in blue and purple counties.”

e: I think a lot of the 'live near Biden supporters in blue and purple counties' is because that's where you find the middle or higher income people in general who would have the financial means to travel to DC and the freedom from taking off work as well. IMO min wage / low wage hourly blue-collar types aren't going to really have the freedom to pack up and travel to DC on a workday(s).

That Works fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Apr 14, 2021

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

That Works posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...rter-narrative/

e: I think a lot of the 'live near Biden supporters in blue and purple counties' is because that's where you find the middle or higher income people in general who would have the financial means to travel to DC and the freedom from taking off work as well. IMO min wage / low wage hourly blue-collar types aren't going to really have the freedom to pack up and travel to DC on a workday(s).

I think the concern is a group of people that are not prone to going to protests/rallies are willing to spontaneously show up and commit violence. Do they have to start tracking how many business class airline tickets were sold in a given time to determine the threat level of a rally/protest?

Everytime I hear/read one of these stories I wonder just how far these groups could go if they were mildly competent. I have a fear that we got off easy with Trump.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It was America’s Beer Hall Putsch.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
If the US collapsed, what would happen to the US Dollar and how would the wealthy people still get off with only mild inconvenience?

E: this is all probably just thought experiments

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

boop the snoot posted:

If the US collapsed, what would happen to the US Dollar and how would the wealthy people still get off with only mild inconvenience?

USD would immediately evaporate to be replaced by EUR or RMB as the world reserve currency, unless it set off a chain collapse of the entire world economy. Wealthy people would continue to be wealthy, everyone else would be hosed.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

boop the snoot posted:

because the rich have assets, not piles of actual currency. If the dollar went away its not as if amazon isn't going to be worth the same amount but in euros.

Volkova III
Jan 5, 2021
baleet th poleet

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

orange juche posted:

USD would immediately evaporate to be replaced by EUR or RMB as the world reserve currency, unless it set off a chain collapse of the entire world economy. Wealthy people would continue to be wealthy, everyone else would be hosed.

I think this is correct.

The rich only get hosed if the global economy collapses. I doubt they listened to that doomsday professor about how being nice increases their chances of survival.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Volkova III posted:

baleet th poleet

Same tbh

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ASAPI posted:

I think this is correct.

The rich only get hosed if the global economy collapses. I doubt they listened to that doomsday professor about how being nice increases their chances of survival.

Yeah I was thinking "actually wealthy people don't keep stacks of dollars around, because dollars are a bad investment, constantly losing value" they diversify into a shitload of commodities with broad exposure across a lot of market segments, so that the only way they're hosed is if the world is well and truly hosed.

Ordinary folks can't generally do this, and never have been able to, so eat the rich I say.

I love how rich folks were like, "can we use shock collars to force compliance in our doomsday bunker security staff?"

orange juche fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Apr 14, 2021

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

orange juche posted:

Also the Police would still be fully funded.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

https://mobile.twitter.com/nytimes/status/1382124393896288260

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I'm slowly coming around to the CDC/FDA's viewpoint on the pause and why they did it, but this should help if it's only a few days at most:

https://twitter.com/Alicia_Smith19/status/1382312258232025095?s=19

Antivaxxers and "well, I don't know, it all seems rushed and masks don't work because I read something online" idiots were going to probably yell anyways.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

ASAPI posted:

I think this is correct.

Please stop being a dumbass and repeating this. If the global economy collapses like it did during the great depression and it falls in half, then someone worth 40 billion is now worth 20 billion.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Abolish the police, get the gently caress rid of them. lol at y'all trying to twist that into something more difficult than it is. Full police abolition, nothing less.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

How can the rich be still rich if all they have is a bunch of money that no longer exists? Makes you think that maybe we should abolish the USD.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Whoa Madoff died in prison. Thought for sure he’d figure out a way to get out

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Blind Rasputin posted:

How can the rich be still rich if all they have is a bunch of money that no longer exists? Makes you think that maybe we should abolish the USD.

Because they don't? Did you read the post?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Blind Rasputin posted:

Most of wealthy people's riches are not in cash instruments. That's just how they're valued. Jeff Bezos, for example, probably only has a few million in cash and a line of credit with no limit backed by his shares.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Wow, how about that. We were actually bullshitting about ponzi schemes the other day at work and someone brought up that madoff still had like 200 years of his sentence left.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

But yeah people like Jeff bezos probably keep a couple million liquid for "right now expenses" and the rest is tied up in poo poo either making money/his company.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Nice! posted:

Most of wealthy people's riches are not in cash instruments. That's just how they're valued. Jeff Bezos, for example, probably only has a few million in cash and a line of credit with no limit backed by his shares.

Which is be of the reasons when people say this persons wealth could give people X number of money and still have Y left or when people suggest that someone can just up something in their business via personal wealth they probably couldn’t. Converting their shares to cash would also probably crash the price of the stock...and heavily reduce the value and probably damage the company itself.

This isn’t meant as a defense, but more just extrapolating on your point.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Abolish the police, get the gently caress rid of them. lol at y'all trying to twist that into something more difficult than it is. Full police abolition, nothing less.

we've had a 20 year experiment where we find out what happens when you create a power vacuum with no plans on how to fill it. The majority of societies rules don't need to be enforced with violence, but then you also have events like january 6th where its clear that violence is sometimes needed.

PookBear fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Apr 14, 2021

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Hyrax Attack! posted:

There's not a violin small enough to convey my feelings about this.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When I think of Bernie the first thought I have is LOL Mets Ownership.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

There's not a violin small enough to convey my feelings about this.

Not even *this* small?

violin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Not even *this* small?

Still macroscopic. Way too big.