Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
I guess it's conceivable you can go an entire game without putting someone in check until checkmate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

Don't you say check before checkmate? Like players are regularly put in check?

I think in tournament play it's considered impolite to say "check" because it implies the other player isn't paying attention.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

V-Men posted:

I guess it's conceivable you can go an entire game without putting someone in check until checkmate.

Technically, but it basically requires your opponent to put themselves into a spot where you checkmate them instead of you forcing them to move into that spot.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

You can win without putting and opponent into check. You can argue it's almost better because your opponent might not perceive the threat.

Pros don't really say checkmate either.

It's basically moot because you have to defend your king when in check, so of you're not paying attention enough you'd make an illegal move anyway.

5D Chess with multiverse time travel is a real game if you really want to get mind hosed by chess.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Do all pro games even go to the checkmate move?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I liked chess more as a kid when we didn't say "check" because then you just took the opponents king and won because they didn't pay attention and so were fairly beaten.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Scholtz posted:

Do all pro games even go to the checkmate move?

If good players realize they're trapped they'll forfeit. It's considered poor sport to draw out a game to the last move when it's obviously lost.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I'm pretty sure most chess players would recognize most endgame patterns, so it'd just be like "well, you're 20 moves from checkmate and there's no counterplay, so good game."

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

My boss just told me China has Captain America style supersoldiers and that he can't wait for them to start a war so all the "stupid people can be cleansed" before going on about macheteing Pelosi to death.

He legit scares me.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Clarste posted:

I'm pretty sure most chess players would recognize most endgame patterns, so it'd just be like "well, you're 20 moves from checkmate and there's no counterplay, so good game."

I'm so bad at chess it's impossible to recognize my patterns because they don't exist!

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Devorum posted:

My boss just told me China has Captain America style supersoldiers and that he can't wait for them to start a war so all the "stupid people can be cleansed" before going on about macheteing Pelosi to death.

He legit scares me.

"Won't be me though." :smug:

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Forceholy posted:

"Won't be me though." :smug:

He's 60, overweight, has diabetes, and literally believes the government has a weather changing deathray but Obama stole control of it but thinks he'll survive any war or plague.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Devorum posted:

He's 60, overweight, has diabetes, and literally believes the government has a weather changing deathray but Obama stole control of it but thinks he'll survive any war or plague.

I bet he believes climate change is a hoax, too.

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

"Climate change cannot be anthropogenic because Obama controls the climate, and he's a lizard." is probably a statement that like 90% of Republicans would agree with in a YouGov survey. Not joking.

tek79 fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Apr 14, 2021

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

VitalSigns posted:

I think in tournament play it's considered impolite to say "check" because it implies the other player isn't paying attention.

DarkHorse posted:

If good players realize they're trapped they'll forfeit. It's considered poor sport to draw out a game to the last move when it's obviously lost.

These are both true, except the word is “resign.” “Forfeit” is something like not showing up for a game that’s scheduled (that’s how Bobby Fischer lost the championship).

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Clarste posted:

This makes Chess sound like it's just fancy Tic-Tac-Toe.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Doctor Nutt posted:

This makes Chess sound like it's just fancy Tic-Tac-Toe.

endgames are because there's fewer options

for example a king versus two rooks, even a schoolchild can figure out the sequence for checkmate. or a king versus king, it's pretty easy to figure out this is a draw

actually playing to get to that point on purpose though, that's not solved yet

in theory it could be since like Tic-Tac-Toe there are a finite number of squares and a finite number of pieces, so there's a finite number of gamestates and if you knew them all you could predict whether either player can force a win or a draw with perfect play. Chess has not been solved yet so no one knows whether perfect play ends in a win or a draw, although statistically white tends to win more games...

E: fun fact, checkers has been solved and like Tic-Tac-Toe both sides can force a draw so you can only win if the other person fucks up
Good luck memorizing how to do it though

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 14, 2021

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

VitalSigns posted:

endgames are because there's fewer options

for example a king versus two rooks, even a schoolchild can figure out the sequence for checkmate. or a king versus king, it's pretty easy to figure out this is a draw

actually playing to get to that point on purpose though, that's not solved yet

in theory it could be since like Tic-Tac-Toe there are a finite number of squares and a finite number of pieces, so there's a finite number of gamestates and if you knew them all you could predict whether either player can force a win or a draw with perfect play. Chess has not been solved yet so no one knows whether perfect play ends in a win or a draw, although statistically white tends to win more games...

:sigh: I guess if someone felt the need to explain my joke it's not very funny.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

nah it's probably just me, I'm :goonsay: personified

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

quote:

A friend just sent this to me. If the real issue is “race” I wo Systemic Racism in Chicago?
1. 2,240 Shootings, 440 Homicides from January thru July 2020. Almost every shooter and homicide were BLACK - 97.7%, but BLM and Chicago‘s Democratic Politicians blame “police and systemic racism.”
2. The Chicago mayor is black.
3. The Superintendent of Police is black.
4. The Cook County States’ Attorney is black.
5. The Chief Judge of Cook County Circuit Courts is black.
6 The Illinois Attorney General is black.
7. The Chicago Fire Department Commissioner is black.
8. The Cook County Board President is black.
9. The State Senate Majority Leader is black.
10. The Illinois Lieutenant Governor is black.
11. The Illinois Secretary of State is black.
12. The Clerk of the Circuit Court of Cook County is black.
13. The Cook County Clerk is black.
14. The Chicago Treasurer is black.
15. The Chicago Police Board President is black.
16. The Chicago Transit Authority President is black.
17. The CEO of Chicago Public Schools is black.
18. The Commissioner of the Department of Water Management is black.
19. 40% of the City Council belong to the Black Caucus.
Their average pay is $122,304 annually each, PLUS $122,000 per year in expenses. Their pension for life is 80% of last pay.
Republican head count in the City Council is ZERO.
William Hale Thompson was the last Republican Mayor of Chicago in 1931.
For 89 years Democrats have controlled the Chicago Mayor’s Office.
At the end of fiscal 2019 the Chicago deficit was $838,200,000!
Can someone please explain how it's possible for Republicans, Donald Trump in particular or white people in general, to be responsible for Chicago’s problems?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Medullah posted:

I'm so bad at chess it's impossible to recognize my patterns because they don't exist!

Same. I've got some old habits and openings that I still use and I'm OK at it for someone who doesn't play a lot. I've given problems to a friend I have that plays in tournaments simply because I'm doing everything "wrong" and I guess making him think in patterns he's not used to.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Oh no, Biden is now facing the Twilight Werewolves. Hell of a way to find out my aunt is a fan of both Trump and Twilight.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Katt posted:

The founders were pretty lovely people so probably yes but also gently caress using them to gauge modern laws.

"The founders also owned other humans so we probably shouldn't give a poo poo what they thought."

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I saw a “you care about Matt gaetz sex trafficking children? Why not Eric swalwell sleeping with a Chinese spy? Which is a threat to National security?!”

Which is certainly a take.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Grammarchist posted:

Oh no, Biden is now facing the Twilight Werewolves. Hell of a way to find out my aunt is a fan of both Trump and Twilight.

Funny considering how all of them (except maybe the cartels?) were reacting during the Trump administration

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Grammarchist posted:

[TrumpSalutesDPRKGeneral.jpg]

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

DarkHorse posted:

Funny considering how all of them (except maybe the cartels?) were reacting during the Trump administration

That's only because you're remembering how it actually happened and not how it happened through the lens of ChudVision.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Grammarchist posted:

Man these loving idiots sure forgot about Oliver North.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I feel like comparing the current economy to the New Deal would not go as well as they think it would...

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Seems like a bad idea to point out people were making essentially the same prediction/argument decades ago and weren't correct then, but what do I know.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

A lot of morons legitimately believe the New Deal slowed down the recovery from the Great Depression, and probably that it was a communist plot or something

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Cognac McCarthy posted:

A lot of morons legitimately believe the New Deal slowed down the recovery from the Great Depression, and probably that it was a communist plot or something

Growing up in a conservative area it was common knowledge that the new deal failed and really it was WW2 that saved the economy from the depression. After all the new deal just had people digging holes in the ground then filling them back it. It was completely useless and obviously just wasted money that could have gone towards useful activity. Meanwhile in world war two we built a bunch of stuff and sank it in the pacific which is completely different let me tell you.

e: Massive government deficit spending to help people: bad. Massive government deficit spending to kill people: good

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Digging and filling up ditches: Fake Economy
Blowing up foreigners with bombs: Real Economy.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Dig through the ditches and burn through the witches
I slam in the back of my
Economy

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Soylent Pudding posted:

Growing up in a conservative area it was common knowledge that the new deal failed and really it was WW2 that saved the economy from the depression. After all the new deal just had people digging holes in the ground then filling them back it. It was completely useless and obviously just wasted money that could have gone towards useful activity. Meanwhile in world war two we built a bunch of stuff and sank it in the pacific which is completely different let me tell you.

e: Massive government deficit spending to help people: bad. Massive government deficit spending to kill people: good

IDK if it's where I grew up but that talking point never took hold despite occasionally hearing it, primarily because we still had a ton of sidewalks with little bronze emblems proudly proclaiming they were made by the WPA.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Noted useless government project with no economic benefit "The TVA".

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Taerkar posted:

Digging and filling up ditches: Fake Economy
Blowing up foreigners with bombs: Real Economy.

Digging ditches and filling them with the corpses of foreigners: Compromise?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Handsome Ralph posted:

IDK if it's where I grew up but that talking point never took hold despite occasionally hearing it, primarily because we still had a ton of sidewalks with little bronze emblems proudly proclaiming they were made by the WPA.

They loving knew back then you had to advertise what the government was doing for you, hopefully they've learned that lesson again

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Taerkar posted:

Noted useless government project with no economic benefit "The TVA".

Over Easter break, my family went down to rent a cabin in the Smoky Mountains. Right behind us were huge electrical poles put in place by the TVA. I decided to use that moment to tell my daughters about the awesomeness of massive government spending.

Also, I am glad to see that the Chicago tribune has always been filled with lovely people.

Edit: I have actually had a person say that massive government spending of the new deal did nothing but the even larger massive government spending of WW2 did everything. It is crazy out there sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Soylent Pudding posted:

A friend "gifted" me an entire drat book about it: "New Deal or Raw Deal".