Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

animist posted:

Positive reinforcement for working out may be a dead end, say researchers who found that punishment can incentivize behavior better than rewards

Boy has there been a lot of research that says otherwise but hey whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Shame Boy posted:

Boy has there been a lot of research that says otherwise but hey whatever

no see they did a study

it says you exercise better if you pay us when you don't exercise

C'mon, try it

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Also:

animist posted:

Call it 50 Shades of Grey, gym style.

I refuse.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Even if you're going to go negative wouldn't social shaming be a way bigger motivator? So an app that posts you missed your workout to your socials to hold you accountable.

This is my original startup idea, do not steal.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Inceltown posted:

Even if you're going to go negative wouldn't social shaming be a way bigger motivator? So an app that posts you missed your workout to your socials to hold you accountable.

This is my original startup idea, do not steal.

That absolutely already exists

Hell I think it's a big part of how Peloton works

animist
Aug 28, 2018
there's something about nerd brains that makes them particularly vulnerable to the idea that money is the best measurement of intentions / human needs. Like how all the microeconomics skull measurers love to set up betting markets to make people predict the future "with their wallets!!!" or whatever.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

animist posted:

there's something about nerd brains that makes them particularly vulnerable to the idea that money is the best measurement of intentions / human needs. Like how all the microeconomics skull measurers love to set up betting markets to make people predict the future "with their wallets!!!" or whatever.

It has left remaining no other nexus between man and man than naked self-interest, than callous “cash payment”.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Do swear jars actually make people swear less?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

starkebn posted:

gently caress you

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

starkebn posted:

More relevantly, does a cum jar make you cum less?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 212 days!

Failed Imagineer posted:

More relevantly, does a cum jar make you cum less?

i dont think you wind up with one of those if you want less cum

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

starkebn posted:

lmao i thought this happened in relation to a real sport

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

Mark Cuban is what happens when you're in middle school and you see your friend's older brother get liberty spikes and swear at his parents, and that is the definition of cool you carry with you for the rest of your life

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Adjectivist Philosophy posted:

Mark Cuban is what happens when you're in middle school and you see your friend's older brother get liberty spikes and swear at his parents, and that is the definition of cool you carry with you for the rest of your life
looks like you left out the "get paid before the dot com bubble burst" step

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

came ere to post this :xd:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I'm more wondering why Jesus is wearing a Burger King crown

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
King of the Jews, and the Whopper.

Catholics prefer his big fish.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quitters,_Inc.

Pure coked up Stephen King here, one of my favorite shorts of his

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
That whole "punishment key to exercise" poo poo was discovered a long time ago by the military. That magazine is way the gently caress behind on the times.

Make the walls sweat, as we said in cadence in boot.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Make the walls sweat, as we said in cadence in boot.

By like, intimidating them with your toned mister universe bodies or something? I'm not sure I understand the meaning.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

animist posted:

Punishment Can Be a Key Incentive for Exercise

Yeah sure. The military is the sole reason I cannot fathom hiking for fun.

Shame Boy posted:

By like, intimidating them with your toned mister universe bodies or something? I'm not sure I understand the meaning.

I assume it's meaning is condensation on the walls from a hundred sweating dudes being smoked for a couple of hours.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Shame Boy posted:

I'm more wondering why Jesus is wearing a Burger King crown

he is the king of kings, ergo he can be the burger king if he so desires

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

I assume it's meaning is condensation on the walls from a hundred sweating dudes being smoked for a couple of hours.

Oh that's far grosser, thanks

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah. It's a humidity thing. Close the doors and windows, turn the heat up and let your sweat accrue on the wall with the sweat of 50 others.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I've gone to some small-venue shows with active moshpits where the walls were definitely sweating hard

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
It's not exclusive to boot camp barracks walls. Anywhere the humidity gets high enough that a bunch of people are sweating their asses off. That could be a sauna in the Rockies or a church in Mississippi. It's just condensation.

But working out for hours on end in a barracks hall is a unique way to learn the term, make the walls sweat.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I mean I've lived in humid hell Florida my whole life and have never once seen moist walls, even at the gym, but I guess that's mostly because if you don't have air conditioning here every single manmade object turns into black mold within like 2 weeks

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
The way the military solves that is by relentlessly cleaning the barracks after a wall sweat session. So you wake up some morning it's too lovely to do exercises outside (I did boot in winter in Kentucky), spend an hour or two exercising inside, get 15-30 minutes to clean yourself up, then you spend the day using bleach and lysol after breakfast.

I mean, they obviously have the manpower to clean anyhow.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

You military guys ever do butt slides? :smuggo:

You dump out buckets of soapy water on those long rear end barracks hallways then slide (ON YOUR BUTT!!) down the whole thing.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

You dump out buckets of soapy water on those long rear end barracks hallways then slide (ON YOUR BUTT!!) down the whole thing.

We did that in highschool once except instead of soapy water it was these little wheely cart things we "borrowed" from the custodial closet. Good times.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

spacetoaster posted:

I did not, but I did partake in floor buffer rodeo.

No participant wins floor buffer rodeo. Only the spectators walk away feeling good about themselves.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quitters,_Inc.

Pure coked up Stephen King here, one of my favorite shorts of his

Oh Hell yes. Its one of the most Stephen King things to ever exist.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

My first thought was that you could make a pretty cool crown of thorns from satellite dishes and wires. You could get rid of that disgraceful golden crown.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
If you want tacky but don't want to leave the US, go to Memphis.

They should make a 5g tower in the shape of a cross and swap it out for the one up now. Memphis already has cell towers dressed up to look like trees.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

lobsterminator posted:

My first thought was that you could make a pretty cool crown of thorns from satellite dishes and wires. You could get rid of that disgraceful golden crown.

I don't understand, why would Jesus wear a crown made out of random garbage like thorns like some kind of poor :confused:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

They should make a 5g tower in the shape of a cross and swap it out for the one up now.

Oh! Oh! We have one of those! It's next to I-4 and I pass it whenever I have to drive to Orlando. For a while I thought it was just a big cross they made out of tower material (since it's mass produced and can withstand hurricanes) but then I noticed it has a transmitter shelter at the base lmao.

e: Oh good someone wrote an article about it

https://www.theparisreview.org/blog/2020/04/15/whats-inside-that-giant-cross/

I always feel very #inspired and #blessed when I pass it :patriot:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

For an evangelical Christian church like this one, a prominent cross is already an act of communication, a kind of spiritual semaphore. The pastor told me the congregation fully supported the construction of the cross for this reason, but some local residents outside the church telephoned to complain that the money for construction should have gone to feed the hungry instead. From the pastor’s point of view, Verizon’s approaching the church was providential. He quoted a Bible verse—“The children of the world are often wiser than the children of light” (Luke 16:8)—to say that the church has to market itself in order to reach the community. And of course, as he might have added (but did not), the lease provided welcome income.

Ahahaha

"Look man we could spend this $100k on feeding starving children, or we could erect an enormous cross that we can lease to Verizon"

"... and use that money to feed starving children?"

"Huh? Oh, uh, sure, whatever."

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I do need to add that the Cross Cell Tower has some stiff competition from our other Lord and Savior located a bit further along I-4:

I gotta admit it's a hell of a lot more ominous than the cross is, especially at night:

It used to have an internal fiber optic laser system that made the whole thing glow bright purple too, but that hasn't worked in decades.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Shame Boy posted:

I do need to add that the Cross Cell Tower has some stiff competition from our other Lord and Savior located a bit further along I-4:

I gotta admit it's a hell of a lot more ominous than the cross is, especially at night:

It used to have an internal fiber optic laser system that made the whole thing glow bright purple too, but that hasn't worked in decades.

Is that some kind of Disney thing or just unintentional Mickey Mouse head shape?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Zil posted:

Is that some kind of Disney thing or just unintentional Mickey Mouse head shape?

going through the large ring transports you instantly to walt disney world