Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Coolnezzz posted:

Does it involve volcanoes? Cause I love me some volcanoes.

Shumagorath's first experience with the Liquid Tepidizer was memorable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

TommyGun85 posted:

Ok, thats what I was missing. I thought cokd water going in meant cold air coming out...

So I should instead do what with the aquatuned water? Should I aquatune polluted water instead and use tgat to create a a radiant cooling chamber for my oxygen pipes to snake through?

Basically you want a large lump of matter (like tiles, water) cooled by a small loop that you aquatune/turbine. This could be just a small water tank, or the waste liquid sump at the bottom of the map, or main clean water tank, whatever. The bigger it is, the slower it changes - so more stablility but longer to cool initially, and you may need a loop inside the tank to even out temperature gradients. You can pass multiple PH2O cooling loops through the tank and around the base and they will draw heat back in, which eventually gets transferred through the aquatuner and eaten by the turbine to give you power.
The more heat you can draw in, the more energy you get out, and once stable you even get enough energy to run the aquatuner without draining your main base power (smart battery connected to a transformer so when you are full, stop draining the main battery bank).
Gases take bugger all energy to change temperature, a run of maybe 4-5 radiant tiles is enough to cool 70 degree O2 down to 20, but conversely they carry bugger all heat with them. You can achieve the same end result just by regulating the base temp with PH2O loops which cool orders of magnitude more effectively.
And finally, when you get super coolant, you just replace the small aquatune loop and get insane cooling power for minimal coolant.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
This may be a dumb question, but has anyone heard when the new stuff is estimated to come out of alpha?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Coolnezzz posted:

This is pretty much my reason for hating rime, goddamn pipes breaking all the time.
Try this

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2228381429&searchtext=

insta
Jan 28, 2009

TommyGun85 posted:

Ok, thats what I was missing. I thought cokd water going in meant cold air coming out...

So I should instead do what with the aquatuned water? Should I aquatune polluted water instead and use tgat to create a a radiant cooling chamber for my oxygen pipes to snake through?

Unless you have either a polluted water vent, or cool slush geyser, there is no renewable source of water below 95C. You will have initial pools that are cool, but once they're gone, that's it. Water geysers output at 95C, and steam vents output at either 110C or 500C. The electrolyser output is MAX(70, input_temp), so 20C water becomes 70C H2 & O2, but 99C water becomes 99C H2 & O2.

I posted a proof-of-concept build 800 pages ago that can be built early-game (pre-steam turbines, pre-steel) that exploits the difference in specific heat in the materials, and can output 66C oxygen given 95C input water. You can probably push it a bit higher by fiddling with the temperature sensor, I had it consuming the water at 100C, but it can get to 102C before the pipe breaks. That should allow you to get down to maybe 55C, and heating the hydrogen with a secondary stage of thermo regulators might be able to extract a further 5C out of it. Those thermo-regulators would probably have to be steel though.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
Is everyone sure about this 70 C for electrolyzers?...Im testing it in sandbox and its pumping out 50 C oxygen...

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

LonsomeSon posted:

Oh, right. :lol:

Uggghh, no thank you! I've watched a few let's plays on this map and it looks brutal.

TommyGun85 posted:

Is everyone sure about this 70 C for electrolyzers?...Im testing it in sandbox and its pumping out 50 C oxygen...

Yep, it's likely the ambient temperature in the room where your electrolyzer is built is cooling down the output oxygen, eventually the temperature will even out at 70C if in a self-contained room (and actually rise above that because the electrolyzer generates +1.25 kDTU/s while in operation). They definitely output both oxygen and hydrogen at 70C if the input water is below that temp, and I believe the output temps will be the same as the input water temp if it's above 70C.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

LonsomeSon posted:

...and basically all subsequent uses, until it utterly saved my base on Rime.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Coolnezzz posted:

Uggghh, no thank you! I've watched a few let's plays on this map and it looks brutal.
It’s really mostly binary — if you find liquid water fairly early, you’re golden (literally, because the map seems to always have two gold volcanos on it). If not, you’re done.

It is different uncovering all kinds of vents and geysers and leaving them wide open, hoping they’ll spew out a bunch of heat.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
Another question re: cooling.

Im using a cool slush geyser to provide radiant cooling through my industrial area and then returning through an aquatuner-steam setup. Excess water is stored

Im using cool steam vents to provide water for my electrolyzers. its been suggested not to cool the output oxygen and to just use the cooling from my cooling loop BUT i have an anti entropy nullifier sitting here....should I pass the gas output through it to cool it since its already near by or not bother. Should i also sieve excess polluted water from the skush geyser foe when the steam vent iant active?

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

TommyGun85 posted:

Another question re: cooling.

Im using a cool slush geyser to provide radiant cooling through my industrial area and then returning through an aquatuner-steam setup. Excess water is stored

Im using cool steam vents to provide water for my electrolyzers. its been suggested not to cool the output oxygen and to just use the cooling from my cooling loop BUT i have an anti entropy nullifier sitting here....should I pass the gas output through it to cool it since its already near by or not bother. Should i also sieve excess polluted water from the skush geyser foe when the steam vent iant active?

Yes this is my setup for 18 dupes + suits. Maybe its old school but this is how I learned to play the game.

These for automating the cooling by turning on the H to the AETN when the temp is too high.
The rest is automating the production to turn off once the pipes are backed up.

I use every drop of water like a freman in my base, so I would send the sieved water to the electrolyzers using a bypass type of piping setup.

temple fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Mar 26, 2021

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
Oh man, is it easier to just start over rather than undergo massive renovations?

I didnt plan this place very well, the vents on this map are garbage aside from the one cool slush and my stuff is all over the place

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Don't save a map you think will take you more time than starting anew. Writing off early mistakes is how you learn to plan better on the next asteroid.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

My early base is pretty much just to boost morale, clear out space, and finding useful features. Once I find power and water based off of geysers I'll have an area cleared out where I build up what will be my primary base.

Tools not included is such a blessing.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

AKZ posted:

Tools not included is such a blessing.

whats that?

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

You can search from known maps based on traits.

https://toolsnotincluded.net/map-tools/map-browser

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

So to get my first rocket up, I stuck a canister emptier and bottled the overflow from my SPOM, and kind of forgot about it.
They've managed to pressurise the capsule to 45kg O2 per tile. Maybe popped eardrums, but I don't think they'll need a top up for a while a couple of cycles!

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
When is the DLC coming out of early access?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Wheezeworts are mildly radioactive in the DLC branch, this is not a drill.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Dupes with a third arm are 50% more productive, so it works out okay

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

LonsomeSon posted:

Man, they really, really don't want people to use them, do they? It's especially funny because they're only really useful for newer players, as more experienced players are more comfortable with much higher power cooling loops and more adept at dealing with heat in general.

It's not to say they're not useful; they certainly have their place, and I've used them for oxygen cooling and the like in the past, especially in conjunction with Drecko ranching, but there are better solutions.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
I remember setting up an entire Wheezewort cooling system using a hydrogen(?) Filled room and passing polluted water as coolant through in radiated pipes.

If you set the circulation up right, you could break pipes easy.

Now I think I would just circulate water to make steam or maybe just vent it to space? I should really do a playthrough again.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Dirk the Average posted:

Man, they really, really don't want people to use them, do they? It's especially funny because they're only really useful for newer players, as more experienced players are more comfortable with much higher power cooling loops and more adept at dealing with heat in general.

It's not to say they're not useful; they certainly have their place, and I've used them for oxygen cooling and the like in the past, especially in conjunction with Drecko ranching, but there are better solutions.

It makes them more useful, since you can get some early game radbolts going for initial nuclear research. Shinebugs or cosmic radiation from space are the other main options.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
Why is my NOT Gate going berserk, switching back and forth rapidly between green and red.

I have a Gas Element Sensor connected to a Filter Gate connected to the NOT Gate. The element sensor is set to detect oxygen for 20 seconds.

If it isnt detecting oxygen, it shoukd be sending a red to the NOT Gate which in turn shoukd send a green, right? Why is it going nuts?

Ive also tried goinv from the sensor to the NOT gate to the filter gate and it does the same thing.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

TommyGun85 posted:

Why is my NOT Gate going berserk, switching back and forth rapidly between green and red.

I have a Gas Element Sensor connected to a Filter Gate connected to the NOT Gate. The element sensor is set to detect oxygen for 20 seconds.

If it isnt detecting oxygen, it shoukd be sending a red to the NOT Gate which in turn shoukd send a green, right? Why is it going nuts?

Ive also tried goinv from the sensor to the NOT gate to the filter gate and it does the same thing.
You've connected across the not gate so each tick it's inverting itself? (connection hidden under the gate itself?)

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

LonsomeSon posted:

:sickos:

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

OzyMandrill posted:

You've connected across the not gate so each tick it's inverting itself? (connection hidden under the gate itself?)

that was it, thank you.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
If I feed hot water from a geyser to my bathrooms and then cool down the sieved water to feed to blossoms, the water will have food poisoning.....if I then cook the blossoms, will it remove the germs?

Its seems like an essier route than cooling clean hot water or tepidizing polluted water.

That being said, should I cool the sieved germy water or should I cool the much hotter clean geyser water? Im having troubke deciding what to do with all these sources of polluted waterand my water geyser.

TommyGun85 fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Apr 3, 2021

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

TommyGun85 posted:

If I feed hot water from a geyser to my bathrooms and then cool down the sieved water to feed to blossoms, the water will have food poisoning.....if I then cook the blossoms, will it remove the germs?

Its seems like an essier route than cooling clean hot water or tepidizing polluted water.

That being said, should I cool the sieved germy water or should I cool the much hotter clean geyser water? Im having troubke deciding what to do with all these sources of polluted waterand my water geyser.

Toilets always output at 37C, so you would not want to cool water before it goes in there. Toilets can help you destroy heat. But definitely use good insulated pipe to carry the hot water in and be prepared to deal with the heat that does leak out.

I believe cooking always kills germs, but generally having dupes carry germy stuff around a lot is bad. When the dupe drops off the germy blossoms at the stove, they'll pick up surface germs, and then could easily transfer them to clean food when they pick it up. I think that's how it works, anyway.

If you have any chlorine or bleach stone around it's power-free to sterilize the water in tanks.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

I still haven't wrapped my head around deploying wheezeworts for nuclear research, but I did uproot all of the wild-growing ones which were around the access-way to my teleporter colony's dispatch unit. I kept noticing dupes with small amounts of rad exposure when I was checking them for other information and that's what eventually lead me to make the discovery.

They're putting out between 44 and 47 rads at their base tile, which isn't quite double what setting up your radbolt poo poo in space will supply. It falls off to cosmic background after two tiles, but I'm willing to bet I can get at least 2-4 worts per generator even if above and below isn't viable.

Additionally, my home rock's upper reaches have got an Abyssalite shell, then just a fuckload of -50 and lower rock and copper, then another Abyssalite shell. Pretty sure once I pump enough crude back home through the teleporter to tap some of it off into a coolant loop, I'm going to be able to build a regulation system which will last for 4-500 cycles without needing to be rerouted into a tuner-turbine setup.

Deffo not a fan of stumbling blindly into the research changes; I like the idea of the change to whatever the third type of research points were called, the addition of a fourth type, and splitting up the latter half of the old techs plus most of the new space stuff between them thematically. I just only ever did very basic space and rocket poo poo once, in the save I started for the DLC experimental when it was brand-new, and I had just gotten to the stage of having a pair of solo-capsule CO2 rockets lobbing rovers and supply drops at the surface of a third asteroid in order to build a basic access way to a subsurface chamber which had at least one living oxyfern visible, as well as Oxylite undecayed due to surrounding O2 pressure. The first dupes to move in were going to have to do so via one-way drop pod mission, and finish constructing a landing pad before their suit tanks ran out.

Prooooobably would have worked, but keeping spaceframes up long enough to do research in them sounds intimidating by comparison.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
Is there any way to edit a save file's Game Settings?

e: nvm

TommyGun85 fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 5, 2021

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
can a liquid pipe contain two different liquids without having them contaminate each other?

I have a cool slush geyser and water geyser right beside each other at the very top of the map. Can i run just one pipe and then filter them out at the bottom into separate tanks or do I have to run two seperate lines? Obviously I dont want to mix freezing polluted water with clean hot water.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

TommyGun85 posted:

can a liquid pipe contain two different liquids without having them contaminate each other?

I have a cool slush geyser and water geyser right beside each other at the very top of the map. Can i run just one pipe and then filter them out at the bottom into separate tanks or do I have to run two seperate lines? Obviously I dont want to mix freezing polluted water with clean hot water.

Yes, but you're going to need to be careful in your pipe layout to keep things from backing up. The liquids will occupy separate sections of pipe.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Hello Sailor posted:

Yes, but you're going to need to be careful in your pipe layout to keep things from backing up. The liquids will occupy separate sections of pipe.

Yes, but for example, will cold polluted water cool down hot clean water INSIDE the pipe or will germs transfer in between?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

TommyGun85 posted:

Yes, but for example, will cold polluted water cool down hot clean water INSIDE the pipe or will germs transfer in between?

Yes and no. The individual packets of liquid in each pipe section won't interact with each other, but they will interact with the pipe section they're currently occupying.

As long as the liquids in the pipe keep moving, the net effects of the liquids on each other should be negligible.

If they sit in one place in the pipe for a bit, then move a single space forward and sit for a while again, then the effects will be more pronounced.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Just remember that fluids exist in packets in pipes and space; they never "mix" below a certain quantity and only exchange heat along the four cardinal directions.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I absolutely love this electrolyzer trick, though I don't know if it prevents you from needing to tank/filter your early output: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EIi2zvh9O0&t=64s

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Shumagorath posted:

I absolutely love this electrolyzer trick, though I don't know if it prevents you from needing to tank/filter your early output: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EIi2zvh9O0&t=64s

I've built a number of these, no filtering or tank required. When built you need to prime the areas by putting a small amount of gas in the respective areas to start. If you want to be completely safe you need to disable pumps before you completely empty a section of gas using automation.

Works with rust deoxydizers too.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Updated petrol boiler, trying to squeeze it in before the lava!

Uses wire bridges (and gas, can add transport too later!) as a 3x1 temp shift plate to make isolated thermal chunks every tile (in a vacuum) with as much mass overlapping the path the petrol takes as possible, while keeping the horizontal runs short to reduce heat backflow along the petrol. Only running it in short bursts at the moment (it stops/starts pretty well as long as you choke the oil at the bottom, not the final outflow. 370 degree oil out the top, 100 degree petrol out the bottom, pretty efficient and stable. It's been chuntering away making tons of plastic while I massively overcomplicate my first rocket to the third planet:

The entire background is covered in pipes and ducts holding water/o2 respectively, 100kcal of berry sludge, diamond windows, marble statues, and they have to pee on the floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

New entry in the wildly overengineered rocket pod competition:

Barracks, mess room, and washroom bonuses

Oxygen recycling/bad gas collecting for removal when docked (will wire up the vent when I have stopped off at the swamp planet for enough algae to last, and it becomes a backup/emergency O2 store.

Similar job with water, only as I'm parked they keep using the toilet. Filled by removing telescope and emptying a couple of bottles into a small pond then pumping it into the pipes. (Could also use a plumber to drain the pipes in flight to get PO2 for offgassing if you were so inclined)

Thinking of moving the CO2 sensor up and making it a not-O2 sensor, which would give room for 1 more port, possibly a water fill, but getting water piped through the -50 degree top layer is a PITA.

Edit: I have input/output ports wrong way around, its a bit of a pain having to destroy the nosecone to build the water tanks to drain the water, and I couldn't get it to actually drain out via the attached port (but empty storage button just drops it out immediately so meh for now). Also realised I can lower the telescope by a row, the only 'used' tile is the liquid out which can move up, that way I can get all 4 liquid/gas in-outs up there. Would be nice if the rocket could drain gas/liquid to the platform ports without having a cargo module, but I guess when I have a proper H/O engine I can have one of each and not care so much (and the ground ports might work better)

OzyMandrill fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 14, 2021