Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

TommyGun85 posted:

I'd like to set up some ranching and hydroponic farms, but first Im trying to capture some geysers, which is where everything is falling apart.
You got good advice on the geysers but I just want to point out that if you’re ranching for egg/meat purposes, it’ll take quite a while (on the order of 100 cycles?) for that to get rolling after you set it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
poo poo, I just realized that my problem with atmosuits has been trying to run both their line and the base supply off the same electrolyzer. I'd probably save myself from tanks and pipe loops by just splitting the supplies.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

You got good advice on the geysers but I just want to point out that if you’re ranching for egg/meat purposes, it’ll take quite a while (on the order of 100 cycles?) for that to get rolling after you set it up.

Yeah, thanks everyone. I got some helpful tips without having to lookup specific blueprints or solutions. Im going to try some things and see what happens.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

LonsomeSon posted:

with a good enough initial plan I'm pretty sure one could make a Hab's internal transit shaft a Nature Preserve, as well.

This is such a powerful move that I'll usually restart if there aren't plants in a convenient location to make this work. It's not difficult, just a matter of making a plan and sticking to it. Here's my current living area, you can see that every trip within it involves passing through the nature preserve shaft:

You can also see my utility attic, there was some discussion of that recently. Offscreen to the bottom is another row of atmosuits and then a basement for CO2 to collect and be pumped out of. Pipes and ducts run through shafts to the left and right of what is shown.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Bold Robot posted:

This is such a powerful move that I'll usually restart if there aren't plants in a convenient location to make this work. It's not difficult, just a matter of making a plan and sticking to it. Here's my current living area, you can see that every trip within it involves passing through the nature preserve shaft:

You can also see my utility attic, there was some discussion of that recently. Offscreen to the bottom is another row of atmosuits and then a basement for CO2 to collect and be pumped out of. Pipes and ducts run through shafts to the left and right of what is shown.

I'm sure it's great for dupe morale but sending my colonists to enjoy a "nature reserve" that consists of a pile of dirt with three dead plants in it would be bad for my morale

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Nature reserves should be reworked so the dupes have to see the plants to benefit from the morale boost.

Maybe even have a new set of animations for admiring / hugging plants.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

You leave my +6 morale boost alone!

I'm currently trying to cobble together a small magma powered petrol boiler using some ideas I saw on the Klei forums:

Realised I need to move my magma release door up a tile and have at least 2 mesh tiles vertically, else the igneous rock could pop out the top instead of going into the steam chamber. Anyway, the idea is a concentrated counterflow. Each 2x2 cobalt tile block is part of a 3x3 thermal area using conductive & air bridges to make a channel of conductive matter the petrol has to flow past. I'm hoping it's a more efficient (volcano produces pathetic amounts of magma) and in a smaller space, tho now it's cleared out more I could totally fit a normal counterflow one in and use half the amount of cobalt. But I want to see if this works now, so maybe another 50 or so cycles and it should be ready to turn on.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
Is it possible to wrangle from one stable and have them drop off at another without manually switching the drop offs on and off?

Late Fees
Jan 8, 2004
Your fees are valid.

reduce max critters at the source dropoff and turn on auto wrangle?

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Late Fees posted:

reduce max critters at the source dropoff and turn on auto wrangle?

OMG, I didnt even notice those settings lol. UI Blind.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

OzyMandrill posted:

You leave my +6 morale boost alone!

I'm currently trying to cobble together a small magma powered petrol boiler using some ideas I saw on the Klei forums:

Realised I need to move my magma release door up a tile and have at least 2 mesh tiles vertically, else the igneous rock could pop out the top instead of going into the steam chamber. Anyway, the idea is a concentrated counterflow. Each 2x2 cobalt tile block is part of a 3x3 thermal area using conductive & air bridges to make a channel of conductive matter the petrol has to flow past. I'm hoping it's a more efficient (volcano produces pathetic amounts of magma) and in a smaller space, tho now it's cleared out more I could totally fit a normal counterflow one in and use half the amount of cobalt. But I want to see if this works now, so maybe another 50 or so cycles and it should be ready to turn on.

I wouldn't put a door at all. Those systems fall apart with big floods of magma, like from opening doors.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

insta posted:

I wouldn't put a door at all. Those systems fall apart with big floods of magma, like from opening doors.

I used to use Francis John's petroleum boiler design but without fail every single time I built it, eventually too much magma came out from opening the door and ended up heating up a block it shouldn't and wrecking everything.

It looks like the above design may better because the magma gets turned into the item form when it cools as opposed to block form, like in most designs, unless I'm interpreting it wrong. Then it shoots out the bottom left into the steam chamber, I think it'll probably work out fine.

Personally I use this one now:

https://imgur.com/wUAr7M2

On the last map I had no volcanos so I just ended up using dupe labor to make a magma pool in vacuum directly above the magma biome, rather than using a heat spike:

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Yeah, the door is at the end of a 10tile long finger of magma through a 1 tile gap, it drops 50-100kg of magma, and the door is on a timer to only open for 1 second then stay closed for 9 while the temps settle down a bit. I plan to run the steam chamber at @700 degrees, one of the temp plates is lead so that should coat the bottom in a nice layer of conductive liquid to speed things along. I'm just short of magma at the moment. But thanks to the post above, I'm reminded that I can make a little moon pool and bottle some in to get it started - thank you!

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007

Coolnezzz posted:

I used to use Francis John's petroleum boiler design but without fail every single time I built it, eventually too much magma came out from opening the door and ended up heating up a block it shouldn't and wrecking everything.

It looks like the above design may better because the magma gets turned into the item form when it cools as opposed to block form, like in most designs, unless I'm interpreting it wrong. Then it shoots out the bottom left into the steam chamber, I think it'll probably work out fine.

Personally I use this one now:

https://imgur.com/wUAr7M2

On the last map I had no volcanos so I just ended up using dupe labor to make a magma pool in vacuum directly above the magma biome, rather than using a heat spike:

There's something a little bit silly and disturbing about picturing the duplicants walking around with bottles of hot magma to put into a bottle emptier. I like it.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Fluid bottles are made of a transparent substance which appears to function as a perfect insulator. Thus far it has defeated every attempt at sampling or destructive testing. It appears to come into being spontaneously upon need, and also cease to exist upon emptying, without any apparent conservation of mass or energy; the inhabitants of this planetoid seem to find this completely unremarkable in any way.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

To be fair, they only have a three day memory when it comes to one of their own dying, too.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Are duplicants actually sentient, though? Or are they more limited intelligences reacting to stimuli?

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

"Hey, does this hurt your feelings?!"

*as I send a dupe down to the oil biome without an atmos suit*

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Ambaire posted:

Are duplicants actually sentient, though? Or are they more limited intelligences reacting to stimuli?

Those both mean the same thing. Duplicants are sentient by any definition, within-context anyway.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
Ok, so Ive planned for a cold water oxygen loop. Can anyone please let me know if there are any flaws in this design.

I have a hot water source going through aquatuners. The cold water then passes through electrolyzers to turn it into cold oxygen. The byproducts go to respective steam and hydrogen generators.

Now Ive seen some articles where people also snake the vent piping through cold polluted water. Why? Should I be using the aquatuners to cool down polluted water and then snake warm oxygen through it instead or something? Theres something Im missing.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

TommyGun85 posted:

Ok, so Ive planned for a cold water oxygen loop. Can anyone please let me know if there are any flaws in this design.

I have a hot water source going through aquatuners. The cold water then passes through electrolyzers to turn it into cold oxygen. The byproducts go to respective steam and hydrogen generators.

Now Ive seen some articles where people also snake the vent piping through cold polluted water. Why? Should I be using the aquatuners to cool down polluted water and then snake warm oxygen through it instead or something? Theres something Im missing.

The oxygen and hydrogen come out at a minimum of 70°C, so cooling the input water below that doesn't accomplish anything.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

TommyGun85 posted:

The cold water then passes through electrolyzers to turn it into cold oxygen.

Output from electrolyzers is always 70 C. Due to the particular way that the electrolyzer violates the laws of physics, you can use it to delete net heat in your colony if the water input is at least 20 C, with the most effective deletion being at 70 C.

e: So you should use the surrounding water an aquatuner outputs heat to as your electrolyzer water and use the chilled water the aquatuner outputs from its pipe to cool your base.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 25, 2021

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
Ok, thats what I was missing. I thought cokd water going in meant cold air coming out...

So I should instead do what with the aquatuned water? Should I aquatune polluted water instead and use tgat to create a a radiant cooling chamber for my oxygen pipes to snake through?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I ... think the 70C electrolyzer output thing is obsolete.

Or am I confusing it with water sieves, which no longer output at a minimum of 30C?

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Or am I confusing it with water sieves, which no longer output at a minimum of 30C?

The latter, electrolyzers output at 70c. It's far more energy efficient to cool the output than it is the input water.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Sort of both. They both have minimum output temperatures of 70 & 30 C, respectively. If you put in 90 C liquid, you'll get 90 C outputs. If you put in 10 C liquid, you'll get 70/30 C outputs.

e: Please note that this is for the core gameplay and not whatever may be going on with the early access expansion content.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 25, 2021

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Is sieves having a minimum output temp a change made within the last year? I definitely had to warm up Pwater in at least one base.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

It's a post-release change. Couldn't say for sure exactly when it happened.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

TommyGun85 posted:

Ok, thats what I was missing. I thought cokd water going in meant cold air coming out...

So I should instead do what with the aquatuned water? Should I aquatune polluted water instead and use tgat to create a a radiant cooling chamber for my oxygen pipes to snake through?

Pipe the cold water past things that need to be cooled. I've never seen the point of cooling your oxygen, I just pump it directly from the electrolyzer in normal pipes and cool the base separately.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

James Garfield posted:

Pipe the cold water past things that need to be cooled. I've never seen the point of cooling your oxygen, I just pump it directly from the electrolyzer in normal pipes and cool the base separately.

I don't cool my oxygen personally, I sometimes run the output of a cool slush geyser through my base but it's often unnecessary, but when I do it's usually through the ranches and kitchen. Otherwise I extend my industrial area cooling loop through the base which cools down the electrolyzer oxygen outputs. I usually find it harder to warm up the pwater from a cool slush geyser before sieving it to stop the pipes from breaking in the sieve output.

Lately I've just been sending all of my salt water and pwater into a steam room powered by magma to turn it into regular water before sending it into storage.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I’m 99% sure this is the deal:

Right now, water sieves do not change the water temperature, except perhaps a bit depending on the temp of the filtration media (?)

Water sieves used to have a minimum output water temp.

That was apparently changed around the beginning of July 2019.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Yes you have to be careful on something like rime because you can easily put subzero polluted water into a sieve and constantly break the output pipe.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Rescue Toaster posted:

Yes you have to be careful on something like rime because you can easily put subzero polluted water into a sieve and constantly break the output pipe.

This is pretty much my reason for hating rime, goddamn pipes breaking all the time.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
Im a bit confused here....instead of cooling down my oxygen, I should be doing what to cool down the ambient temperature of my base? Im supposed to pump out 70 C oxygen with the electrolyzers and then run cold water radiant piping throughout the entire base?

Why isnt it better to just cool down a room of liquid using the aquatuners and then run radiant duct through it and pump out temperate oxygen everywhere?

Sorry if this a stupid question but Im trying to get over this hump without resorting to a blueprint.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

TommyGun85 posted:

run cold water radiant piping throughout the entire base?

Usually you'll want to run a cooling loop through your industrial area to keep the machinery from breaking, and you can extend that loop through the rest of your base. Just running piping through the floor of each level of your base is enough. Your cooling loop is usually hooked up to an aquatuner/steamroom/steam turbine to maintain that optimal temperature. Your dupes are fine breathing oxygen up to 75-80c or so, and usually the cooling loop in your base will keep your oxygen much lower than that, no matter the temperature of the water you send into your electrolyzers.

I'm running a cool slush geyser through my current base and an aquatuner cooled cooling loop through my industrial section, but if I didn't have the cool slush geyser I'd just extend the cooling loop to include the piping I've spread throughout the main base. I have no plants that require temperature modulation as my main food is from hatch ranching, which is fine as long as you keep the ranches below 75c or so.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

TommyGun85 posted:

Im a bit confused here....instead of cooling down my oxygen, I should be doing what to cool down the ambient temperature of my base? Im supposed to pump out 70 C oxygen with the electrolyzers and then run cold water radiant piping throughout the entire base?

Why isnt it better to just cool down a room of liquid using the aquatuners and then run radiant duct through it and pump out temperate oxygen everywhere?

Sorry if this a stupid question but Im trying to get over this hump without resorting to a blueprint.

Water pipes transport more heat than oxygen pipes. The heat capacity is higher and liquid pipes carry 10 kg per second instead of 1 kg. Using the water pipes directly also means you don't have to build an extra room for cooling oxygen.

You can cool the oxygen if you prefer. I just don't because I would rather handle cooling and oxygen production separately.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

TommyGun85 posted:

I think you might be overestimating how much work it takes to cool down that oxygen. It has very little thermal mass, so even if you just pipe it straight to your base, it'll probably have dropped to ambient temperature by the time it gets there while barely heating the surroundings on the way. Just make sure you don't dump it straight onto some sensitive plants (or pipe it behind them).

Really you build coolant loops to solve much more serious heat problems like you get from machinery and geysers, and you'll end up taking care of the minor heat from O2 production at the same time.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Base is a vague term. If you mean the living area, cool air is fine. Setup your 02 production by an anti-entropy thermal nullifier. The hydrogen will feed the aetf and cool your air for free.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Coolnezzz posted:

This is pretty much my reason for hating rime, goddamn pipes breaking all the time.
boy have I got a solution for you :devil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Shumagorath posted:

boy have I got a solution for you :devil:

Does it involve volcanoes? Cause I love me some volcanoes.