Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

No. 6 posted:

More like poo poo coin :cool:

Requesting the "poo poo COIN" Kelly edit if anyone has it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

von Vicious
Apr 2, 2015

I'M A GINGER BABY WwwWWaaAaAhhH!!!
Awfulcoin

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

not that good honestlycoin

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

hbag posted:

Woah woah woah calm down mr edgelord guy

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

mojo1701a posted:

What about him?

Bob gay, so what

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

hbag posted:

Uhhhh Bitcoin has increased in value, therefore you are categorically wrong?? Anything to say "nocoiner!!"""???

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Stealthgerbil posted:

the only crypto worth using is https://pegglecoin.org

more like peggingcoin :ironicat:

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
your next company achievement trophy will be an NFT

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

jokes posted:

Uhhhh Bitcoin has increased in value, therefore you are categorically wrong?? Anything to say "nocoiner!!"""???

It's funny because NFTs collapse in value instantly upon being first purchased

Turns out nobody actually wants them

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Alan Smithee posted:

more like peggingcoin :ironicat:

i can get behind this

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Stanley Pain posted:

i can get behind this

It can also get behind you.

Warthog
Mar 8, 2004
Ferkelwämser extraordinaire

Hello Sailor posted:

No, it's like that movie where Bill Murray repeats the same day over and over again (Ghostbusters: Afterlife), except it's a person trolling the thread by continually making bad analogies.

Slander cryptocurrencies all you want but please don't drag Zombieland into it! It was a fine piece of art!

I don't really see a difference between cryptos and other ways to gamble with disposable income:
Money in the bank will get invested in anything that helps the bank make money - fossil fuels get a shitload and I'll get zilch in return.
Buying stocks I can either use a local bank and pay them a shitload for every transaction or change countries and lose all the security anyways.

The hedge funds admittedly were a bit trolly - nobody actually believes they serve a purpose besides making rich people richer.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Warthog posted:

I don't really see a difference between cryptos and other ways to gamble with disposable income

None of the other things you mention use the same amount of energy as 30 days of an average US home for a single transaction.

The best estimates I can find show that a single bitcoin transaction has the same carbon footprint as burning a 42 gallon barrel of oil.

Warthog
Mar 8, 2004

Jose Valasquez posted:

None of the other things you mention use the same amount of energy as 30 days of an average US home for a single transaction.

The best estimates I can find show that a single bitcoin transaction has the same carbon footprint as burning a 42 gallon barrel of oil.

Mind telling me where you got those numbers?
I found the following comparison which in my opinion makes your numbers seem a bit exaggerated:
"The amount of electricity consumed every year by always-on but inactive home devices in the USA alone could ...
power the Bitcoin network for 1.5 years"
https://cbeci.org/cbeci/comparisons

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Warthog posted:

Slander cryptocurrencies all you want
Will do, thanks for the permission!

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Warthog posted:

Mind telling me where you got those numbers?
I found the following comparison which in my opinion makes your numbers seem a bit exaggerated:
"The amount of electricity consumed every year by always-on but inactive home devices in the USA alone could ...
power the Bitcoin network for 1.5 years"
https://cbeci.org/cbeci/comparisons

https://digiconomist.net/bitcoin-energy-consumption

They actually estimate the Bitcoin energy usage as lower than your source, but the USA has 330 million people while Bitcoin serves no practical purpose. Using 2/3rds the energy of idle US devices for absolutely no reason isn't some great selling point for bitcoin

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also, Bitcorn isn't the only cryptocurrency. Ethereum has enormous energy usage as well https://digiconomist.net/ethereum-energy-consumption

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Also, a bunch of those "idle devices" have likely been hacked and could well be mining crypto.

Warthog
Mar 8, 2004

Jose Valasquez posted:

They actually estimate the Bitcoin energy usage as lower than your source, but the USA has 330 million people while Bitcoin serves no practical purpose. Using 2/3rds the energy of idle US devices for absolutely no reason isn't some great selling point for bitcoin

I think "they" prefer the pronoun "he" https://digiconomist.net/about/ - that's a 32-year-old's blog he founded in 2014...

He's got ads on his blog to "Impactscope" where they claim that "$20 can offset 3 Bitcoin transactions"

This is still really confusing.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Stanley Pain posted:

i can get behind this

That’s like the opposite of how it’s done...

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Dogecoin has nearly doubled in price over less than a week. What the gently caress lmao. That is insane even for this space. The market cap is at $11 billion dollars.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

John_A_Tallon posted:

Yeah, at least you can eat a horse or play with a beanie baby. You can't do much with a bitcoin besides hurt the environment because it was designed by greedy pieces of poo poo.

More like dumb internet nerds.

I'm enjoying the stupid pumps, I've got more in cash savings and btc and stablecoin from taking profit than the last 3 years.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Apr 14, 2021

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Dogecoin has nearly doubled in price over less than a week. What the gently caress lmao. That is insane even for this space. The market cap is at $11 billion dollars.

Tethers printed more than twice the value of all the btc mined in the last month, all that extra “money” has to go somewhere.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Warthog posted:

I think "they" prefer the pronoun "he" https://digiconomist.net/about/ - that's a 32-year-old's blog he founded in 2014...

He's got ads on his blog to "Impactscope" where they claim that "$20 can offset 3 Bitcoin transactions"

This is still really confusing.

"They" is a universally safe pronoun to use and is not indicative of a gender identity

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Jose Valasquez posted:

Digiconomist and CBECI get some different numbers, but both are reasonable estimates based on limited knowledge and give their assumptions. The key point is HOLY poo poo THIS IS WASTEFUL.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
lol who got mad at divabot's posts again

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
"i literally profit from shitposting"

in other words, he is living the goon dream

also lol at it being broken in the funny computer forum

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

The early bird gets the worm
Apparently my cousin has $250k (roughly) worth of bitcoin on an encrypted hard drive that he has long since forgotten the password for. Well that's my bitcoin story thanks for listening!

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The ultimate hodler

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

dogecoin mooned overnight so im shorting that poo poo because there is no chance in hell that's going to stay up there

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

hbag posted:

dogecoin mooned overnight so im shorting that poo poo because there is no chance in hell that's going to stay up there

Famous last words

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Fame Douglas posted:

Famous last words

ive set my stop loss up to buy more than i need just in case i turn out to be wrong

Warthog
Mar 8, 2004

divabot posted:

Digiconomist and CBECI get some different numbers, but both are reasonable estimates based on limited knowledge and give their assumptions. The key point is HOLY poo poo THIS IS WASTEFUL.

Digiconomist is some banker's blog - his claims are based on his own calculations from 2017.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
So, umm... buttcoin?

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

im also gonna try out writing a bot to trade poo poo for me later
gonna run it on a paper trading account for a while first to make sure its not going to immediately sell my house or some poo poo
already have the basic algorithm planned out

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

"COIN, open my account."

"I'm sorry hbag, I can't do that."

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
Ponzi, ponzi, give me... your... answer...do...

Rectal Death Deft
Jan 10, 2020

by Nyc_Tattoo

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

You keep saying that but a 2x - 3x price increase over a day or two is nothing for cryptocurrency.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

hbag posted:

im also gonna try out writing a bot to trade poo poo for me later
gonna run it on a paper trading account for a while first to make sure its not going to immediately sell my house or some poo poo
already have the basic algorithm planned out

So, what you're saying is you don't want to just lose money shorting, you want your money to be gone automatically?

It's alright, you can let us know after you pay 10k in dev work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

notwithoutmyanus posted:

So, what you're saying is you don't want to just lose money shorting, you want your money to be gone automatically?

It's alright, you can let us know after you pay 10k in dev work.

This is the same person who wanted to set up an algorithm to notify them any time they were quoted anywhere on SA.