Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
on my own end, i shelved strikers after about half the postgame content because the tedium was too much, especially concerning the final boss. i was gagging on that stupid "debate" between it and the thieves the first time around, why would you make me go through it two more times? the first rematch i get, but shoving in the second upgraded one so soon afterward just to get to the reaper isn't worth the cheevo

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Apr 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I find it so weird Kasumi's gymnastics teacher gets a unique model, voice, portrait and loving name.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Towards the end of Strikers, I decided to just drop the difficulty down to Easy for boss fights. Yes it made it less lethal , but more importantly it made them less tedious in terms of HP to burn through. Even on Easy it takes a while.

Like, yes, you die to bosses in maybe 4 hits instead of 2, which does make it substantially easier. But boss patterns seem to be exactly the same between the difficulties, so it just becomes a test of how long you can keep up perfect play once you figure out the boss' 3-6 main attacks. No interest in Celeste-ing my way through this kind of game.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Oxxidation posted:

unfortunately no, i started using a guide to look up the weaknesses of especially strong shadows in advance because, as you said, fights get exponentially more tedious if you don't have at least one party member to ping-pong weak-element attacks with

for the first three dungeons that's easy enough to figure out, because each one has a pretty obvious "main character" you're expected to keep in the party for major battles, but after that it gets a lot fuzzier

Oof, that is disappointing to hear. Still, I find myself liking it well enough as the weird experiment it is. And Sophia.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

If you find yourself in a fight where your comp is completely useless, keep in mind if you lose the fight you can restart it and change out your party with no penalty. You can also change out at checkpoints so the first fight in the area will give you a good sense if you need to swap out.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If you find yourself in a fight where your comp is completely useless, keep in mind if you lose the fight you can restart it and change out your party with no penalty. You can also change out at checkpoints so the first fight in the area will give you a good sense if you need to swap out.

You don't need a checkpoint, you can do it from the menu whenever you're not in battle.

Also I'm pretty sure technicals do the same damage as weaknesses (or significantly more with technical adept), so if you don't have a weakness you can usually hit them with an ailment and then use psy. Almighty also works for sleep at least. I think it's mostly just monarchs/dire shadows that are immune to dormina, though you can definitely burn Alice and shock another monarch so I'm not sure what ailments might still work on them.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Huh, that was interesting.

Got the opportunity to get Akechi to rank 8 before completing the Nijima Palace, and that involved a 1-on-1 fight in Mementos. After the fight, he said he hated Joker for what the latter had become and pretty much declared themselves eternal rivals.

I was already guessing he'd become the key villain for this game after the Adachi experience in P4G, but he kinda showed his hand a little early here. Was this sequence a new change for P5R or was this already present in P5?

anakha fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Apr 13, 2021

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
Completely new.

Akechi's S-Link in vanilla P5 is entirely story event-driven, like Morgana's is. All of the P5R S-Link scenes are new, and actually flesh him out - there's no fight or real rivalry in the base game.

edit

Lord_Magmar posted:

like when he just shows up at LeBlanc and dumps his lovely childhood on you in front of Futaba and Sojiro.

In retrospect, that part is entirely him trying to get in good with them by relating to them, except he does it in the most How Do You Do Fellow Kids way possible. "Why, my mom is also dead, how about that, we have so much in common!"

S.D. fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Apr 13, 2021

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

anakha posted:

Huh, that was interesting.

Got the opportunity to get Akechi to rank 8 before completing the Nijima Palace, and that involved a 1-on-1 fight in Mementos. After the fight, he said he hated Joker for what the latter had become and pretty much declared themselves eternal rivals.

I was already guessing he'd become the key villain for this game after the Adachi experience in P4G, but he kinda showed his hand a little early here. Was sequence a new change for P5R or was this already present in P5?

His entire interactive confidant is new for Royal, he did have one in the original but it automatically increased at the non-chosen meetings like when he just shows up at LeBlanc and dumps his lovely childhood on you in front of Futaba and Sojiro.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Thanks for the confirmation.

Does he have the same fight and dialogue with Joker in P5 even if it's entirely story-driven? If so, does it also occur before completion of the Nijima Palace?

E: Disregard the question - already answered.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Yes, that was a P5R change, in P5 that social link is one of those that advance automatically during key scenes of the main plot so all the scenes where you hang out with him are new.

EDIT: Wow, you people type fast.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

anakha posted:

Thanks for the confirmation.

Does he have the same fight and dialogue with Joker in P5 even if it's entirely story-driven? If so, does it also occur before completion of the Nijima Palace?

E: Disregard the question - already answered.

Out of curiosity (mild spoilers for a different confidant) did you progress the Councillor confidant as far as you could? The game's been warning you that you have a deadline on that one so I'm guessing you did, but I figured I'd ask just in case.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Harrow posted:

Out of curiosity (mild spoilers for a different confidant) did you progress the Councillor confidant as far as you could? The game's been warning you that you have a deadline on that one so I'm guessing you did, but I figured I'd ask just in case.

It's currently November 7th in-game and I have Councilor at Rank 9 - will there be a chance to rank him up to 10th before the 18th?

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

You don't need to worry about it, then. That's as far as you can rank it up before its deadline.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

anakha posted:

It's currently November 7th in-game and I have Councilor at Rank 9 - will there be a chance to rank him up to 10th before the 18th?

You're good. I'm pretty sure the big thing is to be rank 9 before the deadline, its an auto rank 10 if you are.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

anakha posted:

As others pointed out, you're exactly where you need to be. He'll hit rank 10 automatically.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
a story thing i really liked about Strikers (mild spoilers)

morgana is smart. like, Morgana is actually making useful conclusions and theories about the nature of the Jails and who's behind them and what their motivations are, as opposed to P5 where he mostly talked about not having any memories and the depths of Mementos. he might quietly be the most actually improved character in the P5S writing

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

a story thing i really liked about Strikers (mild spoilers)

morgana is smart. like, Morgana is actually making useful conclusions and theories about the nature of the Jails and who's behind them and what their motivations are, as opposed to P5 where he mostly talked about not having any memories and the depths of Mementos. he might quietly be the most actually improved character in the P5S writing

The writing in Strikers has me cautiously optimistic for the future of the series. Royal and Strikers share about 2/3s of their writing staff and they both show markedly better character writing than vanilla P5. Hopefully that continues.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
strikers-morgana's battle quips also made me decide that i like his pompous bravado a lot more than teddie's hurricane of bear puns

neither of them are still as good as :woof: of course

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 13, 2021

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Harrow posted:

The writing in Strikers has me cautiously optimistic for the future of the series. Royal and Strikers share about 2/3s of their writing staff and they both show markedly better character writing than vanilla P5. Hopefully that continues.

Agreed. To an extent people have written it off as being more comfortable writing established characters and having a full game to go off the group dynamic, both of which are true to an extent, but the writing for the new characters is just as good if not better than the base game IMO. I would say that the biggest drop in writing is in the villains, most of the villains are not quite as memorable as the villains from P5, with the exception of (endgame P5S spoilers) the head of Madicce, who is a classic tech motherfucker.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
just a reminder that the death of the old sony store coming up means that this is the last chance to get a legit copy of persona 1 (psp or psx), persona 2 IS and EP, persona 3 FES and portable.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

4/13 Update: Kamoshida fuckin' sucks

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
5/5R question

I finally got to Yaldabaoth. The igor thing made a lot of sense if only because it explained his funky voice[

that guy has a lot of health. should I bother taking down arms, or just go all out on the body?

Best Bi Geek Squid fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Apr 14, 2021

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Game's kinda old but probably should spoil that second thing since at least one person is playing through it now.

Anyways I just aoe them down usually. they don't have that much HP.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

just a reminder that the death of the old sony store coming up means that this is the last chance to get a legit copy of persona 1 (psp or psx), persona 2 IS and EP, persona 3 FES and portable.

Are any of these on the American PS3 store? I don’t have a Sony portable but I sure do have that goofy lookin’ fat PS3

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Between this and Nintendo killing Mario, I have to wonder if there’s some new copyright loophole coming up that companies are trying to exploit.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

anakha posted:

Just finished maxing out Sun. Favorite Social Link storyline in the game so far, but holy poo poo, the identities of the Phantom Thieves must be the worst-kept secret in Tokyo. :lol:

Even the video game kid and the oblivious shogi player know you're the Phantom Thieves. :lol:

Nijima could have just done street interviews and uncovered their identities at this point.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

anakha posted:

Even the video game kid and the oblivious shogi player know you're the Phantom Thieves. :lol:

Nijima could have just done street interviews and uncovered their identities at this point.

Your confidants ain't snitches :colbert:

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

It is funny when your confidants confront you about being a Phantom Thief and Joker's response can always be some version of uhhhh whats a Phantom Thief?.

I'm the bonus content of P4G. Loving the "snowflakes" song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdfmf11Wtbo

Trying my best to get Naoto maxed out but goddamn the game really introduced her way late. And it's a shame, because she's one of the more interesting characters.

My party in the last dungeon was solely Chie/Yukiko/Naoto and I use whatever Persona fits the moment, and it's a devastating group. Downside I forgot the game doesn't auto-level benched characters so now Chie/Yukiko/Naoto are all in the 80s and Yusuke/Kanji are in the 50s. Teddie is in the 40s.

I guess I should go back to one of the dungeons and level Yusuke/Kanji but I don't know if I would ever use them again, unless the game forces me?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I don't think P4 ever forces any party member choices so you should be safe to just ignore your lower-level dudes if you don't really care to use them. I personally never use Teddie at all--I know he has useful abilities but I just refuse to put that bear in my party when I could be hanging out with cool characters instead.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Staltran posted:

You don't need a checkpoint, you can do it from the menu whenever you're not in battle.

Also I'm pretty sure technicals do the same damage as weaknesses (or significantly more with technical adept), so if you don't have a weakness you can usually hit them with an ailment and then use psy. Almighty also works for sleep at least. I think it's mostly just monarchs/dire shadows that are immune to dormina, though you can definitely burn Alice and shock another monarch so I'm not sure what ailments might still work on them.

It's also notable that Morgana and Haru get Technical Adept, so on a Wind weak boss that's vulnerable to Burn, Morgana can really let rip a lot of damage, especially since Burn lasts a notably long time compared to most other ailments.

Haru could theoretically do something similar, but her Ma is much worse than Morgana and she needs Ryuji or Yusuke to set up opportunities for her to exploit physical Technicals, at which point why not just use them instead and swap her out.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/1381995223715344384

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Just finished Nijima's Palace.

After that interaction with Akechi at Rank 8, the plot twist was pretty much expected. The Reverse Uno on Akechi was cool though.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

anakha posted:

Just finished Nijima's Palace.

After that interaction with Akechi at Rank 8, the plot twist was pretty much expected. The Reverse Uno on Akechi was cool though.

right? The game was like hmmmmmm who could possibly be the traitor? The guy who pulled a piece on you, said that he hates you, and has been acting weird all game? Or maybe it's ryuji :magemage:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

That confidant scene didn't exist in the original version, but it was still pretty obvious who the traitor was. Ultimately the twist isn't "Akechi's the traitor," but rather "and the Phantom Thieves knew already and played him."

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

4/14: Can't believe Ann just took that glass out of the Big Bang Burger

I guess it could have just been plastic

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Already such a rebel, that Ann

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Solaris 2.0 posted:

It is funny when your confidants confront you about being a Phantom Thief and Joker's response can always be some version of uhhhh whats a Phantom Thief?.

I'm the bonus content of P4G. Loving the "snowflakes" song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdfmf11Wtbo

Trying my best to get Naoto maxed out but goddamn the game really introduced her way late. And it's a shame, because she's one of the more interesting characters.

My party in the last dungeon was solely Chie/Yukiko/Naoto and I use whatever Persona fits the moment, and it's a devastating group. Downside I forgot the game doesn't auto-level benched characters so now Chie/Yukiko/Naoto are all in the 80s and Yusuke/Kanji are in the 50s. Teddie is in the 40s.

I guess I should go back to one of the dungeons and level Yusuke/Kanji but I don't know if I would ever use them again, unless the game forces me?

I forget if it's in P5 or just R but you can at least be like "So you knew" for most of them.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

4/14: Can't believe Ann just took that glass out of the Big Bang Burger

I guess it could have just been plastic

They're not called the Phantom Borrowers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

This is disgusting. It is an insult to me personally that they are making a Persona mobile game and it’s not just a fully voiced portable version of Tycoon with expanded features

Seriously I would pay stupid amounts of money for portable Tycoon with all my favorite teenage felons and their cat friend