Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Junkie Disease posted:

Palamute is its own reward

Its great for healing/buffing/sharpening in the middle of a fight if youre solo. Just hop on the palamute and easily dodge every monster attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

What actually gives all those Artillery levels? I'm using sticky/cluster LBG so I have 3 artillery too but I think I needed to use Basarios arms until I got more of the decos.

I think I got a charm with 1 artillery but didn't seem worth the slot over what else could be in there
waist gives 1 guard and 1 artillery, and i supplement with decos (which aren't hard to make so :toot: )

the charm is like 2 evade dist 2 speed sharpen so nothing huge there

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

boz posted:

I don't know about you all, but the more I use Gunlance, the less I actually guard with it.

I've been in fights where I realized I essentially forgot it has a guard

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Badly Jester posted:

The absolutely hideous Rhenoplos Gloves provide 2 Artillery if I'm not mistaken.

Robot hands are the best

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Agent355 posted:

MHW:

Alatreon is a big meanie jerk, because of the elemental gimmick I'm using IG when I'm really more of a hammer/lance guy.

I haven't played a huge amount of IG in iceborne, I know I can pump up the bug now and monster drops are the best thing to use, but what about your go-to damage combo? Is it still triangle->triangle->circle repeat when I have openings or did iceborne add in some cool moves or w/e that are better than that?

The infinite combo is good for when you want to stay stationary. But the tornado slash is now IGs best damage. Pretty much spam circle. But it propells you forward a decent amount so you want to try and tuck yourself right into the monsters head during a down.

Also the new divebomb move is extremely good. Its your best gap closer amd excellent for getting damage on the horns. It also sends your bug out to attack the part you hit. So make sure to keep your bug juiced and build it for ice damage and it will help with the elemental topple. Vault, press x if you need to get into position, and R2 to dive onto its face. It doesn't do mounting damage tho, so you can throw some triangles in there while vaulting, but stop that after the first or second mount. I wouldn't use this too much when first fighting it but once you learn the openings you can spam this divebomb move pretty much the whole fight as it does great damage. Circle aerial spam is good for racking up elemental damage but only do this while it's flying.

The front legs take the most elemental damage so if you are struggling to get those topples I'd try targeting those. You'll probably want to wound those first if running weakness exploit (meld a shaver deco to wound in one hit if you havent already). Focus breaking those horns during dragon phase after you get the topple.

Bananasaurus Rex fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Apr 14, 2021

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

boz posted:

I don't know about you all, but the more I use Gunlance, the less I actually guard with it.

Straight blocking is kind of pointless when the wirebug block exists, yeah. Sometimes in multiplayer guarding is nice if the monster is wigging out and you're not sure where it's going to go, but evade extender moon jump sidesteps/backhops and wirebug guard are usually more than enough defense.

It's actually kind of bumming me out because my favorite part of the big shield weapons is, well, the big shield, and neither GL or Lance seems to really actually want to block in Rise.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I block constantly with GL with the reload guard point

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kanos posted:

It's actually kind of bumming me out because my favorite part of the big shield weapons is, well, the big shield, and neither GL or Lance seems to really actually want to block in Rise.

GL, Lance and CB (the three big shields) all want to block, and they all want guard+, it's just that rather than slowly raising the shield and standing there doing nothing you're actively defending yourself with counters. It's a lot more fun and I'm glad GL is finally (back) on track too :toot:

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Did a comfy little mining upsurge farming and collected all of the relic things yesterday. Now I think it's time to pick a new weapon and shoot for 10 kills on every monster for the scrolls! I love dual blades more than I thought I would. Is there anything with similar mobility?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

The Postman posted:

Did a comfy little mining upsurge farming and collected all of the relic things yesterday. Now I think it's time to pick a new weapon and shoot for 10 kills on every monster for the scrolls! I love dual blades more than I thought I would. Is there anything with similar mobility?

Insect Glaive

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Your Computer posted:

GL, Lance and CB (the three big shields) all want to block, and they all want guard+, it's just that rather than slowly raising the shield and standing there doing nothing you're actively defending yourself with counters. It's a lot more fun and I'm glad GL is finally (back) on track too :toot:

From the nerdlords testing it, Guard is actively detrimental to Anchor Rage on Lance because it makes it harder to hit the max attack buff threshold. It also has absolutely no effect on the quick block parry, which is pretty much Lance's best method of actually using the shield at the moment. It's a nice comfort skill if you're not really comfortable with parry timing or evade extender hops but it's expensive to slot for what feels like not much incentive.

On GL I'd rather not waste the skill slots because Guard is a fuckin level 2 deco in this one for some insane reason and those slots are even more precious. I don't play CB so no comment there.

(If you mean Guard Up, the unblockable blocking skill, I can't say I've noticed there being a lot of unblockables in Rise HR besides, what, Narwa? Rakna's ultra telegraphed flamethrower?)

Kanos fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Apr 14, 2021

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
So I'm finally at HR stuff. I just upgraded my basarios armor to level 5 because I was starting to take way too much damage at the end of normal.

I'm looking at rampage skills for my weapon, the Canyne Cannon II and I'm turn between defense boost 3 or wyrmstake boost.

The defense boost skill changes the GL's "defense boost" stat from 5 to 35. What is that defense boost? Is that to my normal defense or is it when I'm blocking or something else entirely?

I also have no idea what the significance of one "damage level" of wyrmstake Cannon is.

Any ideas?

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Wildtortilla posted:

So I'm finally at HR stuff. I just upgraded my basarios armor to level 5 because I was starting to take way too much damage at the end of normal.

I'm looking at rampage skills for my weapon, the Canyne Cannon II and I'm turn between defense boost 3 or wyrmstake boost.

The defense boost skill changes the GL's "defense boost" stat from 5 to 35. What is that defense boost? Is that to my normal defense or is it when I'm blocking or something else entirely?

I also have no idea what the significance of one "damage level" of wyrmstake Cannon is.

Any ideas?

AFAIK, an "extra damage level" of WS makes it so that a GL with, for example, a shelling level of 4 puts out WS at shelling level 5. So, in other words, it's completely wasted on a weapon that already has shelling level 5, and I can't think of a good reason not to run one of those as soon as you have access to them.

Defense boost should just be a straight-up defense increase (added to the defense from your armor), but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Kanos posted:

From the nerdlords testing it, Guard is actively detrimental to Anchor Rage on Lance because it makes it harder to hit the max attack buff threshold. It also has absolutely no effect on the quick block parry, which is pretty much Lance's best method of actually using the shield at the moment. It's a nice comfort skill if you're not really comfortable with parry timing or evade extender hops but it's expensive to slot for what feels like not much incentive.

On GL I'd rather not waste the skill slots because Guard is a fuckin level 2 deco in this one for some insane reason and those slots are even more precious. I don't play CB so no comment there.

(If you mean Guard Up, the unblockable blocking skill, I can't say I've noticed there being a lot of unblockables in Rise HR besides, what, Narwa? Rakna's ultra telegraphed flamethrower?)

Wait, now I'm confused. I thought guard is what helps you stop bigger attacks/knockback, and guard up just reduces the amount of stamina drained/damage taken?

Which one stops the pushback from larger attacks so I can counter attack?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Kilazar posted:

Wait, now I'm confused. I thought guard is what helps you stop bigger attacks/knockback, and guard up just reduces the amount of stamina drained/damage taken?

Which one stops the pushback from larger attacks so I can counter attack?

Guard reduces knockback and stamina costs from non-parry blocking. Guard Up lets you block unblockables and reduces the damage taken.

Yes, this nomenclature is very stupid.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kanos posted:

what do you mean by quick block parry? I admit I haven't played much Lance yet in Rise

on both GL and CB I've found Guard invaluable because my preferred way of playing is to guard point and counter, which absolutely needs guard to function and not just get knocked back.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Your Computer posted:

what do you mean by quick block parry? I admit I haven't played much Lance yet in Rise

I think he means the counter-thrust.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Your Computer posted:

I think they mean insta-block, the switch skill that adds parry frames to the beginning of the guard animation. But none of lance's counters are benefitted by guard, that's why I slot evade instead

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Your Computer posted:

on both GL and CB I've found Guard invaluable because my preferred way of playing is to guard point and counter, which absolutely needs guard to function and not just get knocked back.

The switch skill insta-block adds a parry window to the beginning of your block which instantaneously guard points incoming attacks with zero recoil and minimal stamina cost. It's completely insane once you have the timing. The "downside" is that it removes the ability to do the stab-stab-cancelthrust infinite loop, but that's okay, since you've got other good damage options to fill with(lance swipe, spiral thrust if you're running it) and you can always just do the old step cancel.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Apr 14, 2021

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Badly Jester posted:

AFAIK, an "extra damage level" of WS makes it so that a GL with, for example, a shelling level of 4 puts out WS at shelling level 5. So, in other words, it's completely wasted on a weapon that already has shelling level 5, and I can't think of a good reason not to run one of those as soon as you have access to them.

Defense boost should just be a straight-up defense increase (added to the defense from your armor), but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I was leaning toward getting the wyrmstake boost, thanks for pushing me in that direction. I'm sure raising shelling level by 1 point will be more significant than 30 addition def.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

now that I've played through Rise I realize how dumb the Bloat Values for damage are in World. It's much easier to get an actual sense of the value stat increases have when you're looking at the raw values. Attack +15 looks like a healthy boost for your weapon when it has 200 attack power but it seems like a drop in the water when your weapon is listed as having 750 attack power and you have to either notice or have it pointed out to you that the +15 is actually a +52.5 after bloat is applied. It adds an unnecessary level of confusion. also makes it more annoying if you have multiple weapon of different types and want to compare them to each other.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Man these April Fools quest in the MMO are pretty great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uii1KqWDdN0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WDnAMnw9_s

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Ugh I hate that evade lancing is back and people are talking like it's the one true way to use it. I like shield advancing and guarding around enemies, goddamn it, optimization be damned.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Kanos posted:

Guard reduces knockback and stamina costs from non-parry blocking. Guard Up lets you block unblockables and reduces the damage taken.

Yes, this nomenclature is very stupid.

dangit that still makes it confusing to achieve what I want. What level of each do I need with red CB shield to block the majority of attacks AND not get pushed back? Just like 1 or 2 of guard and then 3 guard up? cause doesn't guard up go to like 6?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Alxprit posted:

Ugh I hate that evade lancing is back and people are talking like it's the one true way to use it. I like shield advancing and guarding around enemies, goddamn it, optimization be damned.
Never went anywhere

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Kilazar posted:

dangit that still makes it confusing to achieve what I want. What level of each do I need with red CB shield to block the majority of attacks AND not get pushed back? Just like 1 or 2 of guard and then 3 guard up? cause doesn't guard up go to like 6?

Guard goes to 5, but has weird breakpointing where level 2 and 4 are basically worthless; you want 1, 3, or 5. A lot of people use 1, but if you really want to be safe, 3 is probably sufficient to mostly negate all but really, really heavy attacks. 5 will pretty much make you the immovable object, but is extremely expensive skill-wise since Guard is a level 2 deco in this one and is competing for scarce slots with stuff like Attack Up(and Artillery/Load Shells if you're talking Gunlance).

Guard Up goes to 3, but you get the unblockable protection at level 1 and increasing levels only boost damage reduction, so I don't see any real reason to go past 1. As I mentioned earlier, it also doesn't feel like there's many outright unblockable attacks in this game except on the current final boss.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 14, 2021

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Kilazar posted:

Guard up only goes to 3. Guard goes up to 5.

E:fb

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Alxprit posted:

the MH meta only matters if you're doing speedruns, otherwise the beauty is that you can do whatever you please

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Having been graced by shiny drop RNG, I can make both the final rarity Goss Harag and Magnamalo Greatswords. Any Math Science about which one is better DPS?

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Kilazar posted:

One thing to keep in mind with regards to CB guard is that, IIRC, red charged shield adds one point of Guard and doing a guardpoint also adds a point of Guard. This means that if you want to optimize for full guard with the least investment, then go for slotting in Guard 3 and make sure to keep your shield charged and hit guardpoints. This will have you blocking with the full effect of Guard

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Goss Harag Greatsword*

*technically Tigrex is slightly more damage on big hits, but has a worse deco slot, no element, and requires you to constantly keep it at its like 3 hits of white sharpness to make said claim so lol.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I thought I saw some big long theory craft thing with a tldr of "use the narga GS if you're getting literally any kind of attack up buff" (horn, petalace, etc.)

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

One thing to keep in mind with regards to CB guard is that, IIRC, red charged shield adds one point of Guard and doing a guardpoint also adds a point of Guard. This means that if you want to optimize for full guard with the least investment, then go for slotting in Guard 3 and make sure to keep your shield charged and hit guardpoints. This will have you blocking with the full effect of Guard

Does CPP count as guard point for when I am not axe hopping?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

All of the Narga weapons are stupidly good thanks to natural white sharpness and high affinity.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Oxyclean posted:

I thought I saw some big long theory craft thing with a tldr of "use the narga GS if you're getting literally any kind of attack up buff" (horn, petalace, etc.)

Yup, that seems to be the meta. But as always the question is: will the average non-speedrunner even notice the difference?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Oxyclean posted:

Having an an entire 50 less raw damage hurts big time.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Saint Freak posted:

Having an an entire 50 less raw damage hurts big time.

Apparently it doesn't when you account for affinity and sharpness. Here's the effort post on reddit where someone crunched the numbers.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
just found out there's a mod for MHW that removes a shitload of extraneous error checking and drastically improves performance. my shitbox went from 20-50fps and my cpu fan no longer sounds like it's trying to escape earth's gravity.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
I spent over 2500 hunts on lance in world/iceborne so my muscle memory is pretty hosed up and I never intentionally used a lance wire bug move and rarely used the slap until now when I'm well into the endgame where I'm trying to learn it

Because I see poo poo like this and think what the gently caress

https://youtu.be/lAgTQPdOQSo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
The problem with the narg GS is that its too small. The Goss GS is a big chunky boy, and the Tigrex one is ugly so the choice is clear