Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

They're not temporary problems, pitchers throw really hard and really nasty and are going to continue to do so. Strikeouts are higher than they've ever been and are going to continue to go up unless you do something about it.

They've changed the strike zone plenty of times, how is that any different than moving the mound back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

more falafel please posted:

They're not temporary problems, pitchers throw really hard and really nasty and are going to continue to do so. Strikeouts are higher than they've ever been and are going to continue to go up unless you do something about it.

They've changed the strike zone plenty of times, how is that any different than moving the mound back?

Pitchers have always thrown really hard and really nasty, the limits of the human body haven't changed in the past hundred years.

Pitchers just didn't put the extra oomph on the ball until they had runners in scoring position back in the day, they throw every pitch at max effort now.

That's going to ease off eventually because owners will get tired of paying $300m for guys who can't throw a full season without injury.

It's a temporary problem.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

more falafel please posted:

have hitters tried not selling out for TTO

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I think I would love tying the DH to the starting pitcher.

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer

bawfuls posted:

This league is a joke. They managed to change the ball in ways that will likely result in more strikeouts AND more dingers, despite their stated goal of increaseing balls in play.

https://twitter.com/enosarris/status/1382328453563703311

Not surprising, it is delusional to think you can control the carry distance of the ball by 1-2 feet. It's just so funny.

I do think it's really interesting that they acknowledge a few feet reduction could have a dramatic (5%) reduction on home run rates when the argument during the steroid era was a few feet increase wouldn't make much difference lol.

Apr 7, 2003

Poque posted:

I think I would love tying the DH to the starting pitcher.

Yes, by having one guy perform both tasks, the way it's supposed to be.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Manfred isn't a baseball guy, he's a labor lawyer.
I guess you could call a guy who's career was built on crushing labor for corporations a "labor lawyer" but maybe "anti-labor lawyer" would be more accurate

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Pitchers have always thrown really hard and really nasty, the limits of the human body haven't changed in the past hundred years.
We can measure it though and it has changed in recent years (like the last 5 years even, not just compared to 20 or 40 years ago). League wide velocity is up, pitchers are training more effectively for velocity and spinrate more than ever before.

It is absolutely not a temporary issue. If anything owners are happy to have pitchers who flame out fast, because they can get production out of them cheap pre-FA and then let them walk.

Apr 7, 2003

Baseball's always had this gimmick or that magic bullet though. The forkball, the screwball, and so on. They come and go.

Apr 7, 2003

I think Greinke still throws an eephus?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Training with the specific goal of throwing harder, optimizing your mechanics to maximize spin rate and complimentary spin planes, and using high speed cameras to do these things is not a "gimmick". It's elite athletes leveraging the latest technology to improve their performance.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Ah yes, the gimmick of throwing the ball hard.

Apr 7, 2003

Maybe but like I said, the human body has limits and owners are going to get tired of paying out the rear end for guys who break down a third of the way into the season.

It's a temporary problem and it will solve itself, moving the mound back is an unnecessary panic reaction.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Moving the mound back will put more selection pressure on throwing as hard as possible. Move the mound forward

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Move the mound sideways

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Maybe but like I said, the human body has limits and owners are going to get tired of paying out the rear end for guys who break down a third of the way into the season.

It's a temporary problem and it will solve itself, moving the mount back is an unnecessary panic reaction.
No, they'll just rely on guys with less than 6 years of service time.

Apr 7, 2003

Move the mound at a thirty degree angle to home plate and ban the shift.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Popete posted:

Ah yes, the gimmick of throwing the ball hard.

Hey now there's also the gimmick of throwing your less hard pitches better!

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I can not express how ridiculous an assertion it is to suggest that ownership pressure to reduce injuries will result in a move away from max-effort pitching.

Like this is the complete opposite of every incentive built into the sport/business both on and off the field.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Manfred just pitch multiball come on

Apr 7, 2003

People throwing the ball hard is not a new problem and there's no reason to modify the fundamental rules of a 160 year old sport to compensate for it. Batters just need to get better and quit selling out for home runs all the time.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Average fastball velocity is up 2.4 mph since 2007 but sure it's not a new problem

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

People throwing the ball hard is not a new problem and there's no reason to modify the fundamental rules of a 160 year old sport to compensate for it. Batters just need to get better and quit selling out for home runs all the time.

I think it's weird to hold the pitching distance as sacrosanct but not care about the pitch count rules, the baseball composition, etc. Like why is that immune?

bawfuls posted:

Average fastball velocity is up 2.4 mph since 2007 but sure it's not a new problem

I feel like breaking balls - specially sliders -have gotten nastier in recent years too not sure that's something easily tracked though. Like distance it moves

Apr 7, 2003

adaz posted:

I think it's weird to hold the pitching distance as sacrosanct but not care about the pitch count rules, the baseball composition, etc. Like why is that immune?

All those rules are stupid too

Apr 7, 2003

bawfuls posted:

The way velocity is measured changed in 2017 like I said earlier, that accounts for some of it.

Also you couldn't even measure velocity for the first 110 years

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Also "selling out for home runs" aka prioritizing hard contact over more contact is not just some gimmick or fad. It is the correct strategy from a game-theory perspective, which is why it's become so commonplace.

Ted Williams understood this 80 years ago which is why he didn't change his approach at the plate even when teams shifted him like this:

Apr 7, 2003

Manfred needs to reintroduce amphetamines to the game so players can manage proper nine inning doubleheaders.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The way velocity is measured changed in 2017 like I said earlier, that accounts for some of it.

Also you couldn't even measure velocity for the first 110 years
league average fastball velocity in 2007 was 91.1
in 2016 it was 93.4

Apr 7, 2003

bawfuls posted:

league average fastball velocity in 2007 was 91.1
in 2016 it was 93.4

Do you think the rules need to be changed to handle this?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

adaz posted:

I feel like breaking balls - specially sliders -have gotten nastier in recent years too not sure that's something easily tracked though. Like distance it moves
This is definitely something that's tracked now but I don't have those numbers off hand. You can look at individual players spin rates and pitch break on baseball savant, not sure if they have league-wide numbers easily available there but the data is certainly out there.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

^^^^
Huh that's really cool imma google it I bet someone has done a think piece on it.

The league has stated that the current era of TTO is boring to watch and want more balls in play, more steals, more action, etc which is why you see these rule changes. The whole point is to cut down on Ks and homers

Apr 7, 2003

adaz posted:

The league has stated that the current era of TTO is boring to watch and want more balls in play, more steals, more action, etc which is why you see these rule changes. The whole point is to cut down on Ks and homers

No one steals anymore because the game trends towards giant fat men who hit the ball really hard.

I just don't think it's a good idea to change the fundamental rules of a 160 year old game to compensate for trends when trends come and go and everything in baseball is cyclical. I'm probably in the minority there but panic changes are a bad idea to me, you eventually end up with something that just isn't baseball anymore.

I also think the game should be played like it was in 1970 so ymmv. I'm going to watch whatever they change so it's all internet posturing.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

If baseball were run competently:

The league would decide and announce target values and ranges for league-wide metrics of scoring and play, specifically the rate of balls in play (or 1-TTO%) and runs per game. The targets should probably be something akin to the post-deadball averages so like ~75% balls in play rate (or 25% TTO rate) and 4.5 runs per game per team.

The league should actively seek to maintain these targets via rules and equipment changes, including adjustemetns to the constructino of the baseball, the size and shape of the strikezone (this would be easier with an automated strikezone) and the distance/height of the mound.

All of these are changes the league has made to the rules in the past, and are less aesthetically offensive to me than the runner in extra innings or banning the shift.

Apr 7, 2003

The runner on second and seven inning doubleheaders are abominations and need to go.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

160 years ago the pitchers mound was a flat box 50 ft from the plate, batters could request a high or low pitch, curveballs were illegal, and it took 9 balls to draw a walk.

Apr 7, 2003

They never should have made curveballs legal

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

The runner on second and seven inning doubleheaders are abominations and need to go.

yeah this i'm more upset about than any changes to pitchers mounds. Like how dare they pull extra baseball away from us

Apr 7, 2003

The baseball media and pundits by and large seem like a bunch of people who actually don't like baseball and just want it over and done with asap. The Pirates - Padres game last night was 4h 5m and it was a rollercoaster ride the entire way through.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I also think the game should be played like it was in 1970 so ymmv. I'm going to watch whatever they change so it's all internet posturing.

But why 1970? That seems arbitrary; especially since you're making claims about rules staying the same for 160 years (they haven't as other people pointed out)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

Slimy Hog posted:

But why 1970? That seems arbitrary; especially since you're making claims about rules staying the same for 160 years (they haven't as other people pointed out)

Pre-DH, good mix of big fat Stargell and Boog Powell types who hammered dingers and agile guys like Bert Campaneris who stole bases.